Author Topic: Ian Pearce  (Read 58048 times)

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ian Pearce
« Reply #550 on: April 29, 2024, 12:11:09 PM »
Don't forget he managed to get himself a promotion too despite his track record.

If SP knows what he's doing he'll make significant changes to the way we operate in this department.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #551 on: April 29, 2024, 01:53:31 PM »
Never know. He might be retained and supported by an enhanced restructuring of the Stalking and Monitoring Departments. Stranger things have happened over the years. Hides  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #552 on: April 29, 2024, 02:01:22 PM »
Don't forget he managed to get himself a promotion too despite his track record.

If SP knows what he's doing he'll make significant changes to the way we operate in this department.

Forgot he got promoted. What a joke club we were under Lai

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #553 on: April 29, 2024, 02:03:45 PM »
Forgot he got promoted. What a joke club we were under Lai

Makes you wonder how we ended up with 'one of the best squads in the division' really  ;D .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #554 on: April 29, 2024, 02:16:17 PM »
Makes you wonder how we ended up with 'one of the best squads in the division' really  ;D .

Most of the league is garbage in comparison. Most of the rubbish we have can be released at end of the season thankfully  ;D

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #555 on: April 29, 2024, 02:29:02 PM »
We need a rebuild regardless of what division. Lots of players who are overthehill or overrated and we need a plan in place.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #556 on: April 29, 2024, 04:17:51 PM »

Yep, he's kept his head down while chop and change goes on around him.  Would hope once the season ends we see a new setup behind the scenes too.

The structure and the competence of the backroom staff are the foundations for the club.  My view is that planning (playing and ground), recruitment, analysis, coaching, medical and lower team structure all need to be structured before we can  move forward.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #557 on: April 29, 2024, 04:27:28 PM »
The structure and the competence of the backroom staff are the foundations for the club.  My view is that planning (playing and ground), recruitment, analysis, coaching, medical and lower team structure all need to be structured before we can  move forward.

Fully agree with you

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #558 on: April 29, 2024, 06:28:29 PM »

Years and years of having treble the average Championship wage bill will do that. Doesn't matter how little value for money you're getting if you're shopping in a store closed to 20 other clubs. The squad has just been getting slowly worse each season since the Pardew relegation, and the gap has now pretty much closed to the better non-parachute clubs.

Keep this clown in charge of recruitment now we've got the same budget as everyone else and we're heading to League 1, I firmly believe that.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #559 on: April 29, 2024, 06:31:01 PM »
Years and years of having treble the average Championship wage bill will do that. Doesn't matter how little value for money you're getting if you're shopping in a store closed to 20 other clubs. The squad has just been getting slowly worse each season since the Pardew relegation, and the gap has now pretty much closed to the better non-parachute clubs.

Keep this clown in charge of recruitment now we've got the same budget as everyone else and we're heading to League 1, I firmly believe that.

Yep, every advantage we had has been wiped out.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #560 on: April 29, 2024, 07:29:13 PM »
I would hate to make firing Pearce the litmus test of the Patel ownership. Patel has to date shown a deft touch in not disrupting the club in mid season. Like many other posters I am hoping that Patel rings the changes once the season comes to an end.

I am not even going to try to mount a defence of Pearce but if he does get the summer I suspect the strategic direction he is given will be very different to the operating instructions he has been working with in the past. For me it has been very obvious the the Head Coach has had an outsized influence particularly under Gourlay/Bruce. Under Corberan there has been a couple of signings that were known the Head Coach Pippa and M'Vila.

What we don't know for certain was who prompted these signings nor why (lack of alternatives or Head Coach feeling more comfortable with players they know).

Maybe it is more damning that we don't know what Pearce has actually contributed to our recent signings.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 02:35:02 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #561 on: April 29, 2024, 11:02:41 PM »
I would hate to make firing Pearce the litmus test of the Patel ownership. Patel has to date shown a deft touch in not disrupting the club in mid season. Like many other posters I am hoping that Patel rings the changes once the season comes to an end.

I am not even going to try to mount a defence of Pearce but if he does the get the summer I suspect the strategic direction he is given will be very different to the operating instructions he has been working with in the past. For me it has been very obvious the the Head Coach has had an outsized influence particularly under Gourlay/Bruce. Under Corberan there has been a couple of signings that were known the Head Coach Pippa and M'Vila.

What we don't know for certain was who prompted these signings nor why (lack of alternatives or Head Coach feeling more comfortable with players they know).

Maybe it is more damning that we don't know Pearce has actually contributed to our recent signings.

I will, we have had a succesful season, which is a credit to manager, players, scouts and head of recruitment, along with a lot of other unsung heroes behind the scenes. I've no idea why in the penultimate weak of the campaign with a top six place almost confirmed anyone wants to throw shade at the recruitment department and scouting. You'd think from some of the posts we were 15th not 6th.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #562 on: May 01, 2024, 01:59:27 PM »
Personally , I look back at the last few seasons and whether it's Pearce himself or the market we've been shopping in then it's time for a change either way . Far too much stock in older players or ticking near 30 years old at least , the Club and squad is desperate for fresh / younger legs .
I do fully take to account funds have been very limited but we need to be looking for the next Dorrans or Mulumbu's not loading up another Chalobah or M'Vila now .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #563 on: May 01, 2024, 05:52:56 PM »
You look at Sheffield Wednesday and the young powerful players they have scouted ( Ugbo from the French 2nd tier) and then look at us with the likes of Chalobah .
Depressing , something has to change in the Summer.

They didn't scout ugbo, Cardiff did and then cancelled the loan so SW took him in January, so we could have got him instead of AW and that west ham bloke.

We seem to have an aversion to foreign players.

I would definitely be looking at Ugbo on loan for next season if we couldn't buy him for peanuts.

He would have buried a lot of the chances we have missed this season imo.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 05:56:19 PM by BalisPen »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #564 on: May 01, 2024, 06:09:26 PM »
They didn't scout ugbo, Cardiff did and then cancelled the loan so SW took him in January, so we could have got him instead of AW and that west ham bloke.

We seem to have an aversion to foreign players.

I would definitely be looking at Ugbo on loan for next season if we couldn't buy him for peanuts.

He would have buried a lot of the chances we have missed this season imo.
Oh right fair enough but you'd like to think we'd have known about him when we were on the hunt for a forward.
Whether Pearce stays or not our market for players has to change .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #565 on: May 01, 2024, 06:09:39 PM »
I will, we have had a succesful season, which is a credit to manager, players, scouts and head of recruitment, along with a lot of other unsung heroes behind the scenes. I've no idea why in the penultimate weak of the campaign with a top six place almost confirmed anyone wants to throw shade at the recruitment department and scouting. You'd think from some of the posts we were 15th not 6th.

Why I am not surprised that the only fan who carried on playing in the band as Captain Bruce took us down with the clown Button (who you also said was good enough to carry on) is now backing Pearce.

Do you you really believe what you write, or is it just to get a rise out of the likes of me?

How can you say AW and Marshall (finally remembered his name) were great signings in a great season, which could be deemed a failure by most depending on Saturday's result.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #566 on: May 02, 2024, 06:07:54 AM »
 purely on the evidence of highlights of Sheff Wednesday match I would try to sign Musaba who apparently scores goals and is fast and if not a similar type of player.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #567 on: May 02, 2024, 12:28:28 PM »
purely on the evidence of highlights of Sheff Wednesday match I would try to sign Musaba who apparently scores goals and is fast and if not a similar type of player.

In about 10 years, maybe.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #568 on: May 02, 2024, 12:32:38 PM »
In about 10 years, maybe.......

........ making him old enough to sign for us on a free transfer.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #569 on: May 02, 2024, 03:28:52 PM »
I’m wondering if someone who constantly defends Ian Pearce is actually the man himself ! Looking at the January business 1out of 3 players who has notably contributed is hardly a success.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #570 on: May 02, 2024, 08:08:55 PM »
I’m wondering if someone who constantly defends Ian Pearce is actually the man himself ! Looking at the January business 1out of 3 players who has notably contributed is hardly a success.

You may be correct.

You can understand the signing of AW, but that CM was a shocking recruit and why he couldn't see Ugbo as an option is beyond me and him, apparently.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #571 on: May 04, 2024, 07:38:51 PM »
That made me laugh. I think I’ve been registered on this site many years before Pearce got the job. We have also had a very successful season. It is not about defending the recruitment, no need to defend success but to praise it.

Fact is we that without a budget we made the ELITE signing of the January transfer window in the entire league if not the whole UK pyramid in Mikey Johnston. Then I come on this board and it’s like the twilight zone. Hence no surprise to read conspiracy theories. Just maybe you view itself bears no rational take?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 07:40:54 PM by baggie82 »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #572 on: May 04, 2024, 08:20:11 PM »
You do have a point.
When things work it’s down to corberans genius, when they didn’t/don’t it’s down to recruitment and Lai.
If I were Pearce I’d argue that my job is to find players as per the instruction…wether they work out or not cannot be 100% down to him and we don’t see what the instruction is .
You look at  Asante….if you say he has a rubbish touch and doesn’t understand the offside rule….people shout he’s only 300k and he has scored goals ….so is he a successful recruit?
You look at swift….3 years ago the championship player of the season….why wouldn’t you try and get him?
It’s not always as easy as football manager suggests
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #573 on: May 04, 2024, 08:42:19 PM »
I don’t think Pearce can claim any credit for BTA . It was down to Bruce’s son in law !

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #574 on: May 04, 2024, 08:47:25 PM »
I don’t think Pearce can claim any credit for BTA . It was down to Bruce’s son in law !
But that’s the issue isn’t it
No one on here actually knows what level of input he actually has….so can he actually be culpable?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..