Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 670863 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #2700 on: April 06, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »
and you are right, there are posters on here who cannot wait for him to make an error which is sad really.
MAGA!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2701 on: April 06, 2021, 01:03:44 PM »
what a glorious black country expression, med me loff

He's definitely not right in the head

Thanks mate, that's made my day as I left West Bromwich and the black country for the North West 16 years ago!

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2702 on: April 08, 2021, 01:33:58 PM »
Just rumours but apparently we are happy to him go for £7.5 million with Leeds, West Ham and Spurs interested according to the Athletic.

Yes a year left on his contract but seems very very low. Didn't we buy him for 5 million? A solid prem season under his belt and an England call up and we will make a 2.5 million profit. Jesus wept

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2703 on: April 08, 2021, 01:41:11 PM »
Just rumours but apparently we are happy to him go for £7.5 million with Leeds, West Ham and Spurs interested according to the Athletic.

Yes a year left on his contract but seems very very low. Didn't we buy him for 5 million? A solid prem season under his belt and an England call up and we will make a 2.5 million profit. Jesus wept

One year remaining on his deal with his stock at the highest it will ever be.

I don't think its a bad deal otherwise we risk losing him for nothing next summer.

I don't think we're in a much of a bargaining position to be honest.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2704 on: April 08, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
Would have liked 10m myself but lets see what happens. Just need 2 teams interested to drive the price a little higher.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2705 on: April 08, 2021, 01:59:51 PM »
I did say...  8)

Anyway, I'd be happy with any profit for him. Need him to finish the season and his Albion career strongly to allow us to cash in at all. He didn't do himself many favours at the weekend in that respect.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2706 on: April 08, 2021, 02:13:07 PM »
I did say...  8)

Anyway, I'd be happy with any profit for him. Need him to finish the season and his Albion career strongly to allow us to cash in at all. He didn't do himself many favours at the weekend in that respect.
For once his flaws were overshadowed at the other end, let's hope it was a post England call up blip as he has been very good of late. As you say just needs to finish with a flourish.

Daft question but, if 3 clubs already "interested" doesn't that increase his value?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2707 on: April 08, 2021, 02:16:20 PM »
For once his flaws were overshadowed at the other end, let's hope it was a post England call up blip as he has been very good of late. As you say just needs to finish with a flourish.

Daft question but, if 3 clubs already "interested" doesn't that increase his value?

When you look at the 3 clubs, I'd argue he only really stands any chance of being no. 1 at Leeds. Hence the price,  homegrown back-up. Fabianski and Lloris are in a different league, if those keepers moved on in summer and SJ was the replacement I don't think it would go down at all well especially at Spurs.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2708 on: April 08, 2021, 02:57:53 PM »
Can’t see many clubs where he would walk in and be No1. Most of the bigger clubs seem pretty settled in that position, so to the likes of Villa , Wolves , Palace . The more you go down the list the harder it becomes to see who is going to be  willing to pay a large fee for a GK
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2709 on: April 08, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »
Pity JP isn't here, we'd have had a new stand built on the money he'd get for Johnstone
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2710 on: April 08, 2021, 05:20:36 PM »
When you look at the 3 clubs, I'd argue he only really stands any chance of being no. 1 at Leeds. Hence the price,  homegrown back-up. Fabianski and Lloris are in a different league, if those keepers moved on in summer and SJ was the replacement I don't think it would go down at all well especially at Spurs.

Spurs plan to move Lloris on.  Pope is their first choice replacement apparently but they aren't confident.  SJ is their second choice.

Rumours that Leeds have been interested all season.  They aren't happy with their young French keeper. West Ham's apparent interest has only just arisen but it seems that they plan to sell Fabianski and Rice to raise funds to buy SJ and Lingard.  According to my West Ham contact anyway.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2711 on: April 08, 2021, 05:27:01 PM »
Pity JP isn't here, we'd have had a new stand built on the money he'd get for Johnstone

Bang on the money mate!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2712 on: April 08, 2021, 05:46:49 PM »
I did say...  8)

"Awful" was the word you used I think. An overstatement of course.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2713 on: April 08, 2021, 05:55:33 PM »

Mine was a very fair appraisal in the context of the actual sentence I posted...

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2714 on: April 08, 2021, 07:08:32 PM »
Meanwhile, back to the subject. Sams stock was low. It’s now higher. Do they stick or sell? Depends on whether they have a plan.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2715 on: April 08, 2021, 07:22:58 PM »
My pennies worth for what it is - 7.5m seems cheap, English goalkeepers and strikers in particular seem to attract higher fees, especially with regards to the number of Nationals needed to complete squads in the Euro competitions. Didn't Citeh sign Carson because of this. I'd be disappointed with less than 10m irrespective of how long left on his contract.
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2716 on: April 08, 2021, 09:48:44 PM »
Does an England call up increase his value? I'll bet it never increased Livermores stock.
I'd happily take £7.5m for Johnson.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2717 on: April 08, 2021, 10:45:02 PM »

He wasn’t awful at all. I think 7.5m, if true, is way too low. Let’s wait and see.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2718 on: April 09, 2021, 10:58:27 AM »
He wasn’t awful at all. I think 7.5m, if true, is way too low. Let’s wait and see.

Agreed, £7.5m doesn't buy you much these days. £10m minimum and ideal £15m is more reasonable IMV.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2719 on: April 09, 2021, 02:17:14 PM »
Agreed, £7.5m doesn't buy you much these days. £10m minimum and ideal £15m is more reasonable IMV.

Yeah fair will have to be above 10 surely. Ramsdale was like 20 million...

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2720 on: April 09, 2021, 02:50:42 PM »
If we get relegated and the player wants to move, it's in our interests to get whatever we can. If we hold out for £15m and no-one offers that, then he will leave for free at the end of next season.

Equally, he's not such a ridiculous talent that if we will see his price rise dramatically through a bidding war. No-one is going to think £15m for Johnstone is a steal.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:58:04 PM by MarkW »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2721 on: April 09, 2021, 03:43:00 PM »
I am a Director of Football at a Premier League club and someone mentions that Ramsdale was sold for £18m. After offering up thanks to a deity of my choice that it wasn't me I would be halving my valuation of every player I was interested in just to be on
the safe side because that is how bad that was.   

There is quite a long list of keepers who went for less than half of what Ramsdale cost and are probably better than Johnstone. The fact that he is English might give him a bit of a premium but that is more than balanced out by the fact he only has a year left on his contract.

Equally the market will be depressed this summer and I doubt any championship club will spend more than £10m on a single player so it is not to be sniffed at.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:30:31 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2722 on: April 09, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »
Its no that long ago there was a general feeling that he had been found out this level - and he is still Dracula when it comes to crosses, there was one flap at Chelsea that Zuberbuhler would have been proud of, so I'd say 10m would be a good deal.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2723 on: April 09, 2021, 06:25:22 PM »
See what Levy offers and treble it and you will be close
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2724 on: April 09, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
I am a Director of Football at a Premier League club.....

Hello Luke and welcome to the forum, now you're here could you clear up who was responsible for signing whom during Slaven's time at the club please? It's been such a bone of contention in these parts and we'd all be most grateful if you'd be kind enough to spill the beans. Cheers in advance, SmethDan and all at westbrom.com  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.