Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1765788 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #750 on: June 16, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
Any one got any odds on Irvines sacking at this stage

I would say he'll be gone by Christmas to be replaced with Downing after a 5 week due diligence escapade.
With those imortal words " Keith was always our first choice candidate"
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #751 on: June 16, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »
I've calmed down and will be willing to see what he says in the press conference and what sort of signings we make. I really hope it works out and we have a better season than last.
the regime don't like it man

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #752 on: June 16, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
I've calmed down and will be willing to see what he says in the press conference and what sort of signings we make. I really hope it works out and we have a better season than last.

Some might fall in love
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #753 on: June 16, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »

Still seething but feel the same as this
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #754 on: June 16, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
Am I the only one to admit that Irvine was my preferred choice for the Head Coach. Mind you that was back in 2009 after Mowbray's departure and we were settiing up for a year in the Championship.

Am underwhelmed alright. Wasn't overly eager on Sherwood who appears to have been focusing on a lot of PR work both prior and after his non-appointment. Didn't seem to be linked too closely with any decent Coaches with top flight Head Coach/Managerial experience, when previously we obviously had the likes of Mel and Ralk Rangnick being touted. Certainly seemed to be recruiting in the lower reaches of prospective Premier League managers.

On Irvine, I don't believe that you are always the same as you were. He started off brightly with Preston, leading him to be among the favorites for the vacant job at West Brom in 2009 but took a downturn and had a struggle at Sheffield Wednesday too. I would hope that his time at Everton has allowed him freshen his mindset and approach, and perhaps some of these ideas may have come across in his discussions with the Albion board.

Anyway, I am underwhelmed but just needed to get my own thoughts off my chest and onto other peoples.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #755 on: June 16, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
Whilst trying to understand, make sense of and analyse this debacle, I suddenly had thoughts of a film originally made in 1965 (remade 2004)  that starred James Stewart, Richard Attenborough and Hardy Kruger amongst others, the plot rang a bell with me and I thought it had (maybe very tenuous)  similarities with our current plight and predicament, the plot went something like this:

Towns ((Stewart) aka Albion Fan) and Moran ((Attenborough) aka Albion Fan) learn that Dorfmann ((Kruger) aka Alan Irvine) designs model aircraft instead of full-sized aircraft. (Academy Coach, no PL Managerial Experience). Dorfmann claims the principles are the same (Coaching PL Players / Academy Players), but Towns and Moran are horrified at the idea of flying an aircraft (watching West Broms first team) made by a man who works with "toys" (Academy Players Coach). Without any other choice (Irvine is appointed Head Coach in spite of fans protestations), however, Towns and Moran forge ahead with the plan (go to home and away matches) and don't tell the others of their discovery (fans suppress their true feelings and continue to support West Brom).

Just as the water runs out (fans total despair begins to set in), the Phoenix is completed (players recruited and the season kicks off). Dorfmann panics when four cartridges fail to start the plane's engine (we lose the first four games of the season) and Towns wants to use one of the remaining three cartridges just to clear the engine's cylinders (fans want Alan Irvine out). Dorfmann objects (Irvine insists he is the man for the job and has had player injuries effecting his preferred playing style), but Towns ignores him and fires one cartridge with the ignition off (Fans become more restless and protest continue). The next cartridge succeeds (Albion win a game, injured players have returned and playing style more attacking). The men pull the Phoenix (West Bromwich Albion) to a nearby hilltop and climb onto the wings (Albion give their full support to the team and Irvine) with Carlos' pet monkey (aka Peace) in tow. When Towns guns the engine (Albion Fans right behind the team), the Phoenix slides down the hill and along a lake bed before taking off (Albion win more games) After the Phoenix lands at an oasis with a manned oil rig, the men celebrate and Towns and Dorfmann reconcile. (The season ends and Albion finish mid-table. Alan Irvine and Albion Fans call a truce for now!)

The Film, "The Flight of The Phoenix" and we all know the mythical story of the Phoenix, don't we?

Keep the Faith during these difficult times, we know who we are!!

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #756 on: June 16, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »
Ha, very good, I like it!!!

I'll take that as a season right now!!! I fear however that we're utterly fecked. Guess we'll see by the quality of incoming players this coming few months.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #757 on: June 16, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »
Been out all day no resignations yet then >:( >:( >:(
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggieboy74

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #758 on: June 16, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
still can't believe it.......so angry

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #759 on: June 16, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »
COME BACK PEPE MEL YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU

::)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Foreverbaggie

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #760 on: June 16, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
COME BACK PEPE MEL YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU

::)

Ha ha even if he came back whilst peace is there his hands would be tied, seem to be in a vortex as a club at the moment

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #761 on: June 16, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »
Well it's now been 48 hours since the news broke officially about Alan Irivne and I'd like to confirm I'm still as livid now as I was then.

In fact, now it's finally sunk in, I'm feeling even worse.

It's absolutely scandalous.

Two months before the start of the season and I'm already fearing relegation.

Pathetic.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #762 on: June 16, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »
Well it's now been 48 hours since the news broke officially about Alan Irivne and I'd like to confirm I'm still as livid now as I was then.

In fact, now it's finally sunk in, I'm feeling even worse.

It's absolutely scandalous.

Two months before the start of the season and I'm already fearing relegation.

Pathetic.

Maybe a top player signing might help soften the blow

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #763 on: June 16, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »

Alan Irvine - “My passion is for coaching and I believe my strength is on the training ground, which is where we need to get the work done.”

Translation - "All I have to do is coach, Richard and Terry will sign the players and then I'll have to make do with what I'm given"

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #764 on: June 16, 2014, 05:31:43 PM »
I won't invest my money yet on Albion being relegated, but unless we sign at least FOUR quality players I am going to have to put 60 plus years of Albion loyalty to the back of my mind and think of filling my pockets instead. We have got to be racing certainties at present to be relegated.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #765 on: June 16, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »

Name me any top player thats going to come to us now? We dont pay the wages and irvine will struggle to attract league 1 players!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #766 on: June 16, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
Name me any top player thats going to come to us now? We dont pay the wages and irvine will struggle to attract league 1 players!

Darren Carter seems to sing his praises highly enough. Maybe he's trying for a move?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #767 on: June 16, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »
Great lets get Chaplow back too

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #768 on: June 16, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »
Whilst trying to understand, make sense of and analyse this debacle, I suddenly had thoughts of a film originally made in 1965 (remade 2004)  that starred James Stewart, Richard Attenborough and Hardy Kruger amongst others, the plot rang a bell with me and I thought it had (maybe very tenuous)  similarities with our current plight and predicament, the plot went something like this:

Towns ((Stewart) aka Albion Fan) and Moran ((Attenborough) aka Albion Fan) learn that Dorfmann ((Kruger) aka Alan Irvine) designs model aircraft instead of full-sized aircraft. (Academy Coach, no PL Managerial Experience). Dorfmann claims the principles are the same (Coaching PL Players / Academy Players), but Towns and Moran are horrified at the idea of flying an aircraft (watching West Broms first team) made by a man who works with "toys" (Academy Players Coach). Without any other choice (Irvine is appointed Head Coach in spite of fans protestations), however, Towns and Moran forge ahead with the plan (go to home and away matches) and don't tell the others of their discovery (fans suppress their true feelings and continue to support West Brom).

Just as the water runs out (fans total despair begins to set in), the Phoenix is completed (players recruited and the season kicks off). Dorfmann panics when four cartridges fail to start the plane's engine (we lose the first four games of the season) and Towns wants to use one of the remaining three cartridges just to clear the engine's cylinders (fans want Alan Irvine out). Dorfmann objects (Irvine insists he is the man for the job and has had player injuries effecting his preferred playing style), but Towns ignores him and fires one cartridge with the ignition off (Fans become more restless and protest continue). The next cartridge succeeds (Albion win a game, injured players have returned and playing style more attacking). The men pull the Phoenix (West Bromwich Albion) to a nearby hilltop and climb onto the wings (Albion give their full support to the team and Irvine) with Carlos' pet monkey (aka Peace) in tow. When Towns guns the engine (Albion Fans right behind the team), the Phoenix slides down the hill and along a lake bed before taking off (Albion win more games) After the Phoenix lands at an oasis with a manned oil rig, the men celebrate and Towns and Dorfmann reconcile. (The season ends and Albion finish mid-table. Alan Irvine and Albion Fans call a truce for now!)

The Film, "The Flight of The Phoenix" and we all know the mythical story of the Phoenix, don't we?

Keep the Faith during these difficult times, we know who we are!!

Theres another great film from around that time called "A night to remember" about a certain unsinkable ship that never reached its destination. The name of the ship.........TITANIC. The only difference is that the Titanics Captain ( Peace in our case ) had the decency to go down with his ship.
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #769 on: June 16, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »

Is there a picture of Alan Irvine holding up the new white pinstripe shower of poorness yet?

He'll be stood with Darren Carter, Richard Chaplow, Sean St. Ledger and Craig Beattie.

Four star studded signings for this year FFS.....

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #770 on: June 16, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Let's see what Irvine can do with a good set of players, we need to make sure we have a good transfer window and the majority of our signings need to be a success unlike last year.
the regime don't like it man

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #771 on: June 16, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »
While I'm prepared to see what happens with Irvine (what choice do we have ?) the idea of him in charge and our first signing being Gardner is as appealing as a 4 day old cheese sandwich.
I'd snatch your hand of for McInnes right now.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:01:48 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #772 on: June 16, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »
Let's see what Irvine can do with a good set of players, we need to make sure we have a good transfer window and the majority of our signings need to be a success unlike last year.

Like i said in a post above mate we aint going to attract good players with poor wages and Irvine in charge.

Its the best players from the lower leagues and gamble foreign players for us. Thats the best were going to get!

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #773 on: June 16, 2014, 06:26:44 PM »

Cant see that happening mate. Cheap option coach meaning cheap option players. Only got the job because Sherwood turned it down.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #774 on: June 16, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »
Anybody but Irvine. Peace off peace