Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1746089 times)

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #700 on: June 16, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
I think there is just some confusion.  Surely Irvine has been appointed to replace David Oldfield?  Hasn't he?  Got to be...  Surely.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #701 on: June 16, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »
So does that mean we should just sit back and accept any old garbage that we're served with?

No by all means voice your opinion. I only questioned how it's done and I think that a reaction which has no positive effect and mainly a negative effect on the team and club is really just plain silly.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #702 on: June 16, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »
I think there is just some confusion.  Surely Irvine has been appointed to replace David Oldfield?  Hasn't he?  Got to be...  Surely.

Do you think people would have lauded his appointment after poaching the Academy manager at Everton for our own academy?

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #703 on: June 16, 2014, 10:45:42 AM »
D

Well, when AI left to manage Preston, there was a distinct change in Everton's playing style. It seemed that Moyes became far more fearful in his approach and the way he set up his teams was definitely different. AI was attributed to be an attacking coach who was behind much of the good attacking play in the mid-Moyes era. Regarding the youth set-up, he was certainly well respected for doing a good job, in fact he was the only ex-player who had been an attacker, amongst Moyes' coaching staff who were all ex-defenders! Apparently Roberto Martinez thought highly of him, as he took on board and implemented RM's ideas quickly and had the youth team playing some great stuff this last season.
If he can blend the pragmatism of Moyes with the tactical awareness of Martinez - you'll have some manager! However that's a BIG IF!!

Good luck!

This post should be at the top of the thread & every poster made to read it before going anywhere near the medicine cabinet.

Great post mate but me thinks tooooo many on here will just breeze past it because JP is a very bad man & AI is not good enough for our Champions League chasing fans.............. (excuse the sarcasm neoblue)
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #704 on: June 16, 2014, 10:46:41 AM »
Do you think people would have lauded his appointment after poaching the Academy manager at Everton for our own academy?

I think people, myself included, would have thought he would have been an appropriate appointment for the u21 position.

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #705 on: June 16, 2014, 10:51:09 AM »
Do what you want mate. Look forward to seeing you start off the Mexican waves when we're relegated.

Thanks I'll do that  ;)

Will you be there to see the wave or are you going to demand your money back if you bought a ST? or, & more worrying, will you be going to the dingles as you suggested earlier?

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #706 on: June 16, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
I think people, myself included, would have thought he would have been an appropriate appointment for the u21 position.

I'd maybe say that position shares some of the needs and responsibilities required of head coach. Minus the obvious pressure and step up in player quality which may well be Irvine's sticking point but then again who really actually knows?

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #707 on: June 16, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »
Thanks I'll do that  ;)

Will you be there to see the wave or are you going to demand your money back if you bought a ST? or, & more worrying, will you be going to the dingles as you suggested earlier?

I suggested as a club Wolves are on the up, we are very clearly on the way down. I've sat in the Southbank once before, as enjoyable as that day was I certainly won't be repeating it!

I'll be there to witness the inevitable this season. I was there before Peace and Jenkins and I'll be there long after as well.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #708 on: June 16, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »
D

Well, when AI left to manage Preston, there was a distinct change in Everton's playing style. It seemed that Moyes became far more fearful in his approach and the way he set up his teams was definitely different. AI was attributed to be an attacking coach who was behind much of the good attacking play in the mid-Moyes era. Regarding the youth set-up, he was certainly well respected for doing a good job, in fact he was the only ex-player who had been an attacker, amongst Moyes' coaching staff who were all ex-defenders! Apparently Roberto Martinez thought highly of him, as he took on board and implemented RM's ideas quickly and had the youth team playing some great stuff this last season.
If he can blend the pragmatism of Moyes with the tactical awareness of Martinez - you'll have some manager! However that's a BIG IF!!

Good luck!

Most fans will take heart from the first highlighted statement but share your concerns expressed in the second.

All points to a bloke who would be an excellent addition to the Academy staff, but whose track record does nothing to allay fears for another season of struggle.

Day 3 and this is the best I can see things.

Of course we need to give the bloke a chance, but, but.....

does...
            not...
                     compute....
brain overload.......

fizz.....

splutter.....

pfft

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #709 on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
I suggested as a club Wolves are on the up, we are very clearly on the way down. I've sat in the Southbank once before, as enjoyable as that day was I certainly won't be repeating it!

I'll be there to witness the inevitable this season. I was there before Peace and Jenkins and I'll be there long after as well.

At least theres one thing we can agree on.

If we don't get this 'guaranteed' relegation & you give me your seat number, I'll come down & we can start the wave together...... hows that

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #710 on: June 16, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
At least theres one thing we can agree on.

If we don't get this 'guaranteed' relegation & you give me your seat number, I'll come down & we can start the wave together...... hows that

If we don't go down I'll happily buy you a beer ;D

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #711 on: June 16, 2014, 11:03:26 AM »
If we don't go down I'll happily buy you a beer ;D

See, you're turning already  :P  oh & I might just hold you to that.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #712 on: June 16, 2014, 11:06:11 AM »
I'm trying to be practical here.
I feel sorry for Irvine as he will have a lot of supporters gunning for him and his only crime is getting a job as a Premier League manager.
If there are to be protests or anger then it is solely the bald one and his directors who should incurr the wrath of the fans.
I suspect the calibre of players that we recruit in the next few weeks will dictate the depth of feeling towards Irvine on opening day of the season.
Get off the mark with a few wins and he should be able to buy himself some time, failure to do that and there will be the inevitable problems that follow.
I'm trying to look on the positive side but its very difficult when you know somebody with a lot more cash than you has taken you for a mug.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #713 on: June 16, 2014, 11:09:04 AM »
I'm trying to be practical here.
I feel sorry for Irvine as he will have a lot of supporters gunning for him and his only crime is getting a job as a Premier League manager.
If there are to be protests or anger then it is solely the bald one and his directors who should incurr the wrath of the fans.
I suspect the calibre of players that we recruit in the next few weeks will dictate the depth of feeling towards Irvine on opening day of the season.
Get off the mark with a few wins and he should be able to buy himself some time, failure to do that and there will be the inevitable problems that follow.
I'm trying to look on the positive side but its very difficult when you know somebody with a lot more cash than you has taken you for a mug.

Couldn't agree more. Any anger should be directed straight at Peace. I feel sorry for Alan Irvine to be honest.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #714 on: June 16, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »
After 2 days in the wilderness... I'm still trying to rationalise this appointment.  I'm contemplating a sweat lodge and a lot of mind altering substances to try and get my head around it.

God knows what the selection criteria on the due diligence were if Irvine is the best available.  I think you'd have to put him down as an experienced coach - he's been doing it for 20 years - but with no real success in a senior position in 1st team football.

I think that the relationship between the Chairman and the Manager (or head coach) is really important in modern football.  I think this is the prime motivation for the appointment.  Peace has put this relationship above all other selection criteria, and Peace thinks he can work with this guy.

I am saying this because I just don't see what Irvine excels at, and his lack of relevant experience means he's not a jack of all trades either.  What we need right now is someone who can attract players (at least 8 recruits required) bind them together (with the remnants of the squad) into a coherent unit and motivate them to perform.  I don't see any evidence that Irvine can do this.

In addition Peace must think that Irvine offers the best value for money - which basically means that Peace doesn't think that a coach makes much difference to the number of points we'll achieve.

There was a report recently about Man City being the best paid sports team in the world.  West Brom were 127th on that list and were the 28th highest paid football team.  That was for the 2012-13 season.  (Forgetting for a moment that we only have 13 senior pros - including Daniels, Berahino and Thorne - in our current squad.)  We are likely to have gone higher up that list with the influx of new TV money, and an increase in player remuneration.  So, you'd have expected us to attract a manager/head coach in the top 30 in world... Ok, some are with international teams, some are committed to other projects... Top 50?... 75?... 100?  I don't think (before Saturday) any of us would have put Irvine in the top 100 managers/head coaches in British football.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/06/11/revealed-man-city-rise-to-top-of-global-pay-charts-dodgers-soar-to-challenge-110601/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:14:12 AM by Mr Cynical »

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #715 on: June 16, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »
Couldn't agree more. Any anger should be directed straight at Peace. I feel sorry for Alan Irvine to be honest.

This is my main argument, the team needs to be backed and as unfortunate and unbearable as some may find that means the manager does too at least until he proves otherwise.

This appointment may be a tipping point for some and deciding not to go to games anymore is a shame. All I can ask these people is who is losing out? Jeremy Peace certainly isn't because like it or not 20000+ will still turn up for games and the only ones losing out are those that choose not to turn up.

These same people may well have seen us lose plenty of games in the past and may have even been avid fans during the 'dark days' but it still means they are missing out on the chance to watch PL football at their football club.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #716 on: June 16, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
I think Peace is fed up of paying transfer fees, agents' fees and high wages.

Irvine has been a steady pair of hands at the Everton academy, so JP thinks he'll be the bloke to shape a decent team around what we have, a few cheaper additions and academy kids.

JP clearly wants the Academy to start justifying itself and making itself pay.

But it's still too much a gamble. Too many ifs and buts.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again: JP has confused how much he's willing to pay with how much he can really afford.

If it goes t*ts up with AI then it'll all have been a false economy.

The more I think about it, the more I genuinely think JP doesn't really like football or the Club.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #717 on: June 16, 2014, 11:21:13 AM »
Once my anger has worn off i will back Irvine 100%. Until then....Alan. F******. Irvine. Alan Irvine.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:38:57 PM by Quakes Fan »

Pieandapint

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #718 on: June 16, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »
It takes a lot for Albion fans to turn on their club, but Peace has managed it with aplomb. The last few months have been a complete and utter shambles.

The club lurches from one PR disaster to another on a seemingly weekly basis- it's obvious the board have no respect whatsoever for the fans of this club.

You can stick your pinstripes Jeremy.

Ste1987

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #719 on: June 16, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »
It takes a lot for Albion fans to turn on their club, but Peace has managed it with aplomb. The last few months have been a complete and utter shambles.

The club lurches from one PR disaster to another on a seemingly weekly basis- it's obvious the board have no respect whatsoever for the fans of this club.

You can stick your pinstripes Jeremy.

When your club captain feels the need to call the club a shambles, what chance have you got?

This is just another instance in a long list of ridiculous decisions mainly based on saving money.

Place is a joke.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #720 on: June 16, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
Before I went on holiday I said I wanted to come back and see a Welcome Martin Jol WBA new head coach subject. What have I come back to?  :o

I think the fans will make Irvine's life hell, but it should be aimed at some bold bloke and his staff including Burton who ( and this is just my opinion ) had a big say in Irvine's appointment.

IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

pau1200

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #721 on: June 16, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
We should be more anoyed about missing out on one of Sherwoods coaching staff  - Ramsey.

I work with an ex - professional who mixes a lot with British coaches and says that Ramsey is an 'Unbelievable' coach. He was genuinely excited for us when he though Ramsey was going to be working with some of our players.
I dont want irvine to fail I dont want you watch a relegation fight again  this comming season but by appointing Irvine we have achieved nothing. The downing and deano needed to go as there partlh whats wrong. Pepe wanted to change the style but be needed is own men and was denied. Sherwood wanted his own men and that was also a sticking point. Ime guessing the 2 lot interviews revolved around 1 question. " Will you work with whats already there" and irvine obviously said yes.

One thing is clear and that Irvine wont be sacked before christmas and JP wont leave. We need to protest so our voices are heard but we also need to support the players as at the end of the day the albion is our club and we want it to succeed.
I bet we will only  ring in 4-5 players and irvne will try and bring the youth through its either going to bad very quickly or we will be suprised im betting on the first.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #722 on: June 16, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »
Writing's on the wall folks: I think JP is looking to wind down his direct financial investment into the playing and coaching staff because he's looking to sell up.

Look at the facts: he's made this offer of £3,000 a pop to existing shareholders so he can get to a 75% shareholding.

That means he can sell to whoever he wants.

He's winding down his investment of time and money in the club, but in the process we could end up going down. 

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #723 on: June 16, 2014, 11:49:09 AM »
Writing's on the wall folks: I think JP is looking to wind down his direct financial investment into the playing and coaching staff because he's looking to sell up.

Look at the facts: he's made this offer of £3,000 a pop to existing shareholders so he can get to a 75% shareholding.

That means he can sell to whoever he wants.

He's winding down his investment of time and money in the club, but in the process we could end up going down.

That would be find if he was investing... every cost comes out of turnover, and his involvement last season (appears) to have been pretty minimal.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #724 on: June 16, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
 ;D Interesting to note that more than 10,000 people have already read this thread.
This shows the concern of the Albion "faithfull" on the decision made for the new Head coach.

I hate to think what the players are thinking. I can imagine Foster checking his phone while on the bench for England the other night and seeing the news filter through?? :'(