Author Topic: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester  (Read 430608 times)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester
« Reply #1350 on: December 09, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
If Everton paid 45 million for a player I would expect to get at least 30 million for Evans, if we did get that, let him go.
But early in the window so we can buy ourselves,unless we gamble and we buy who we want first in the hope we sell

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1351 on: December 09, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »
We pay wages with cash
As in the club is on the limit of what it can spend FFP wise , just to clear that up for anybody else reading.
There maybe ways around it but lets say Evans is on 70k a week , that wage wise probably isn't enough for a good enough replacement plus another forward many hope for unless we ship another decent wage out .
We seem to be in a bit of a corner , unless he shows something soon I can see Greg leaving . I know its a year loan but we've moved loan players on elsewhere before.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1352 on: December 09, 2017, 03:32:07 PM »
As in the club is on the limit of what it can spend FFP wise , just to clear that up for anybody else reading.
There maybe ways around it but lets say Evans is on 70k a week , that wage wise probably isn't enough for a good enough replacement plus another forward many hope for unless we ship another decent wage out .
We seem to be in a bit of a corner , unless he shows something soon I can see Greg leaving . I know its a year loan but we've moved loan players on elsewhere before.

I am surprised that we are right up to the limit on wages but I assume that is where we are so we will have to be creative to freshen up the squad.

Selling Evans only makes sense if we can get a replacement and reinforce another position.  The regulations only restrict what we can spend on wages directly from the TV deal we are not restricted if the money comes from other sources be that increases in commercial revenue or critically profits from transfer trading.

Assume we get £25m for Evans that represents a profit of roughly £23.5m. I think Evans is on around £50k a week. We are not restricted on fees (which tells you how utterly bonkers the regulations are) so once we have freed up some wages we are good to go.

The link with Ben Mee makes sense in that Burnley are among the lowest payers in the League and it is unlikely that Mee is earning much more than £20k a week and the very obvious attraction of a doubling of his wages without us spending even what Evans currently earns.

We would then be able to use profit from the sale to pay wages. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1353 on: December 18, 2017, 06:01:56 PM »
With all the interest especially Utd i would say he is gone in January, if we can put the money to good use it could go a long way to keeping us up.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1354 on: December 18, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
With all the interest especially Utd i would say he is gone in January, if we can put the money to good use it could go a long way to keeping us up.
As stated before elsewhere mate its not fees thats the problem but wages as we are on our FFP limit pretty much.

andibaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1355 on: December 21, 2017, 10:01:02 PM »
Pardew told the E&S we have offered him £100k a week to stay
Baggiessssssssssssssssssssssssssss....

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1356 on: December 21, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
Pretty limited even tenuous story just dropped on BBC Sport that he will leave in January.

All conjecture based. Must be a slow news day.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1357 on: December 21, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »
Pretty limited even tenuous story just dropped on BBC Sport that he will leave in January.

All conjecture based. Must be a slow news day.

Yep. The first paragraph says he's set to leave, and then the next paragraph states he has 18 months left on his contract  ???

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1358 on: December 22, 2017, 01:30:48 AM »
Pardew told the E&S we have offered him £100k a week to stay
If that’s the case, surely we have to start off loading.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1359 on: December 22, 2017, 05:18:31 AM »
If he does not go in the January transfer window and we get relegated he will be gone!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1360 on: December 22, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »
Reported on WM that he has refused a contract extension and said that he ha no wish to stay beyond the end of his current contract.
That's fair enough.
Lets sell him for the biggest offer that come in.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1361 on: December 22, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »
If we have offered him £100k a week and he has turned it down then there is no other logical course of action other than sell him in January. Selling one of our best players when the club is engaged in a relegation battle isn't usually the smartest move however in this instance we should be able to get a replacement and reinforce elsewhere.

If we were prepared to offer Evans £100k a week which is roughly double what he is currently earning then we have to assume that we could do that within the FFP rules and any budget projection would have been made on the assumption that he would sign, that is still enough to pay the wages of two decent players. 

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1362 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:38 AM »
If we have offered him £100k a week and he has turned it down then there is no other logical course of action other than sell him in January. Selling one of our best players when the club is engaged in a relegation battle isn't usually the smartest move however in this instance we should be able to get a replacement and reinforce elsewhere.

If we were prepared to offer Evans £100k a week which is roughly double what he is currently earning then we have to assume that we could do that within the FFP rules and any budget projection would have been made on the assumption that he would sign, that is still enough to pay the wages of two decent players.
Its not double , nowhere near .
Until this season he was by miles our highest paid player put it that way . I accept it if he wants to go but its a huge gamble with the January market and our run of injuries this season.  To be honest I 'd be keeping him until the Summer and given his reaction this Summer I think he'd be ok with it.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1363 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »
Its not double , nowhere near .
Until this season he was by miles our highest paid player put it that way . I accept it if he wants to go but its a huge gamble with the January market and our run of injuries this season.  To be honest I 'd be keeping him until the Summer and given his reaction this Summer I think he'd be ok with it.

Agree he's already on around 75k.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1364 on: December 22, 2017, 08:59:21 AM »
Sorry if I have been misinformed but I remember it being reported that he was on £50k a week when he signed which at the time was the same as Fletcher. He hasn't signed a new contract since so that is why I don't think it is £75k. Obviously the maths doesn't work if he is on £75k a week but I'm not sure he will be okay with it, the offers seem to keep coming but as ever players fret that they might not be there in the next window and this is Evans last shot at the big time.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1365 on: December 22, 2017, 09:02:20 AM »
Sorry if I have been misinformed but I remember it being reported that he was on £50k a week when he signed which at the time was the same as Fletcher. He hasn't signed a new contract since so that is why I don't think it is £75k. Obviously the maths doesn't work if he is on £75k a week but I'm not sure he will be okay with it, the offers seem to keep coming but as ever players fret that they might not be there in the next window and this is Evans last shot at the big time.
Its not his last big shot , 4 months won't make much difference. By the way Fletcher was on much more than 50k too.As Jacko confirmed Evans is in the 70k bracket

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1366 on: December 22, 2017, 09:08:26 AM »
We could sell him and one or two fringe players enabling us to bring in 2 or 3 players.

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1367 on: December 22, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »
We could sell him and one or two fringe players enabling us to bring in 2 or 3 players.

Sell:
Evans, McLean and Livermore

Buy
centre half and a striker

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1368 on: December 22, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
I think he has to go and it could be a win / win,
He gets his desires, we free up a big chunk of wages,

Lets say a replacement costs £15m plus £50k / week over a 4 year deal thats a total of £25m, whereas Jonny would cost £5m / year in wages alone (at £100k/wk).
Also there is no sense keeping a dis-satisfied player IMO, lets be honest the Saido episode proved that. So take the best offer, wishing Jonny all the best and bring in a younger, more motivated player.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1369 on: December 22, 2017, 09:23:30 AM »
Pardew's basically said come and get him. Man City could well be his destination. Would still be able to play in the CL which would be a big bonus for them. That's if they buy in January.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1370 on: December 22, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
Cash in and reinforce the squad elsewhere with the big wage chunk it takes out of the team. I'm very much with Billy's sentiments that McClean and Livermore should be sold too.

Evans has been in poor form frankly most of the season and find the interest from Man City baffling. Hence why we should just take the money and run.

Given that we are at the very limit of our spending cap in terms of wages etc for FFP it will be difficult for us to manoeuvre for deals but we desperately need a new striker at the bare minimum with any money we do receive.

Clearly we need to shore up in a couple of other areas too but what I expect will actually happen is we sell Evans, make some rubbish attempt at a couple of players we don't really have a chance of getting, buy no one and promote some of the youngsters - which, in itself is not a completely bad thing at all as we plough a lot of money into our A+ rated academy now, but you can't just throw 3-4 kids into the squad all at once, you have to bring them through gradually in conjunction with the rest of the established pros.

It's a fine balance to be sure and will be interesting to see how we play it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:41:30 AM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1371 on: December 22, 2017, 09:56:21 AM »
We absolutely have to reduce the number of high wage earners, the departure from Dan Ashworths model has caught up with us ansd we have become hamstrung in the transfer market.

Personally, I would cut free Jonny, Gareth Barry and Greg along with Maclean & Mozza, If Nacer isnt going to be "fit and playing" he can go as well.  That has to amount to a massive chunk of wages.

Then bring in a Striker a AMF, DMF and a CH, net saving 2 players and potentially creates a lot of wiggle room for the summer, dependant upon what happens in 2nd half of the season.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1372 on: December 22, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »
Threads like this really make me smile about the way people like to fling the clubs money around like it's a game of Monopoly
At the end of the day the club will do what it will do and we will just have to go along  for the ride
Chins up boys and enjoy the thrill of anticipation of what may or maynot transpire  ;D
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1373 on: December 22, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »
Couple of points. If Evans is being offered 100k to stay that money is avalable.  We can only use it by selling Evans so it doesn't matter how much of that Evans currently earns.

This move is his last chance either now or in the summer or at the end of the deal. The champions league clubs won't wait for Evans.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1374 on: December 22, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
Couple of points. If Evans is being offered 100k to stay that money is avalable.  We can only use it by selling Evans so it doesn't matter how much of that Evans currently earns.

This move is his last chance either now or in the summer or at the end of the deal. The champions league clubs won't wait for Evans.
Disagree , you say they won't wait well Arsenal and Man City have been sniffing and bidding for over a year now....how much longer before its classed as "not waiting " ?.
Reading Pardews piece Today he doesn't want to sell , given our record in recent windows I'd back Pardew and let Evans go in the Summer personally.  Far too much of a risk IMO.