Author Topic: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester  (Read 430633 times)

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

Re: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester
« Reply #650 on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
Unless we are relegated Evans won't leave for another English club

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #651 on: June 19, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
Cant see us selling Evans, but this is Albion

He should be captain and will be Pulis's new goto guy I think.

Only way I can see us selling is a crazy bid, but we should be coming out and telling people if you want him this is the fee, not waiting on improved bids

Dont want him to go either way he is a class centre half

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #652 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:01 AM »
Cant see us selling Evans, but this is Albion

He should be captain and will be Pulis's new goto guy I think.

Only way I can see us selling is a crazy bid, but we should be coming out and telling people if you want him this is the fee, not waiting on improved bids

Dont want him to go either way he is a class centre half

Isn't that saying he's for sale?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #653 on: June 19, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »

Isn't that saying he's for sale?

Every player in the world is for sale at the right price though surely?

We set a price that we know clubs will not pay kind of negates that for me

Far too important to us to sell but slap a £35-40m price on his head and you stop the bids

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #654 on: June 19, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
Every player in the world is for sale at the right price though surely?

We set a price that we know clubs will not pay kind of negates that for me

Far too important to us to sell but slap a £35-40m price on his head and you stop the bids

Agreed. Every player is for sale and if Leicester return with a stupid offer then it will be interesting to see how the club react. They can make a big statement to the fans by resisting any improved offer and offering him a new improved contract.

However, selling JE and bringing in Terry will empty the ground I fear........
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #655 on: June 19, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
Agreed. Every player is for sale and if Leicester return with a stupid offer then it will be interesting to see how the club react. They can make a big statement to the fans by resisting any improved offer and offering him a new improved contract.

Yep I'd want my season ticket money back for sure
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #656 on: June 19, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »

Absolutely. Plus all our players will need to lock up their WAGS.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #657 on: June 19, 2017, 11:17:57 PM »
Unless we are relegated Evans won't leave for another English club

I think it is naive to think that Leicester haven't been in touch with Evans' agent and got at least some encouragement for their approach for whatever reason.

For the right fee purely from a player trading perspective with 2 years left on a contract that is unlikely to be extended by the player then a sale makes sense. However what is the right price? To be worthwhile it has to be more than a replacement would  cost so £10m ain't it,  particularly as Leicester set a very unhelpful £17m benchmark for the talents of Harry Maguire.

Equally they were put off by the £30m being demanded for Gibson so probably wouldn't stump up £25m for Evans. If I had to guess there is a deal to be done around £20m at £15m we would be better off letting the contract run its course. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #658 on: June 20, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »
Yep I'd want my season ticket money back for sure

I second that

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #659 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:12 PM »
Only the Sun but they are reporting we are set to offer him a four year deal worth £100k-a-week.

Beefy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #660 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:24 PM »
As good as Johnny Evans is looks like we have joined the Footballing Mad world  Doh

The Sun - West Brom‏ @SunWestBrom 6h6 hours ago
More
EXCLUSIVE: Jonny Evans set to bank £20m with £100,000-a-week contract http://thesun.uk/60158Wzxd

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #661 on: June 21, 2017, 07:37:21 AM »
As good as Johnny Evans is looks like we have joined the Footballing Mad world  Doh

More
EXCLUSIVE: Jonny Evans set to bank £20m with £100,000-a-week contract http://thesun.uk/60158Wzxd

If true then it is the first positive indication of intent under the Lai administration. Good to hear.
MAGA!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #662 on: June 21, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »

More

sign of the times eh but no footballer is worth it
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #663 on: June 21, 2017, 08:33:15 AM »

More
We have got to join the mad world if we want to continue to play with the big boys

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #664 on: June 21, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »
We have got to join the mad world if we want to continue to play with the big boys

Of course the alternative to this is that we maintain our wage cap at however much it is, and JE leaves the club. Once this happens we all come onto sites like this and complain bitterly about how behind our club is........we can't win really can we?

As I have said earlier this is a good statement of intent if true.
MAGA!

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #665 on: June 21, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »

More

Very pleased with. Statement of intent by the new owner. Make him the highest paid player, give him the armband, 4 year deal. Class. Albion moving with the times when the likes of Arsenal struggling to do similar with their best players.

Jordie1471

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #666 on: June 21, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »
To the people moaning I recommend hating the game not the player (wba in this case)

Leicester winning the league was awful for football as it helps mean we are never going to see this awful inbalance in finances between the top 6 teams and the other 14 addressed anytime soon.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #667 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »
Sadly as soon as a bid comes in, the agent will go straight to the board with a new and improved contract request. Nature of the beast now.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #668 on: June 21, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
Question is for me, if we lost Evans, in order to buy a 29 year old CB with his experience and calibre would likely cost us 20m (Maguire 17m) so I don't think shelling out on extra wages for him is a bad investment? I do agree that the fact I'm justifying such big numbers for a footballer is absurd though which was the well made point - will this ever stop or will there one day be bands of wages  and wage caps - doubt it - agents and now clubs who own agents (conflict alert) are the ones making all the money these days really. Not Jonny's fault at all of course, good luck to him

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #669 on: June 21, 2017, 12:56:53 PM »
We normally fail to cash in on our best players.  We didn't for Mulumbu or Olsson, and I doubt we will for Evans.

£25 million would bolster our transfer kitty, and I'd hope we'd reinvest it well (remains to be seen though).

He/him

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #670 on: June 21, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »
No problem with Evans getting that money he's worth it in the crazy world of football it's just when mediocre players get that kind of money it all goes wrong. I'm sure if he does sign the other players agents will be on the phone wanting the same and if they don't they will most probably play up.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #671 on: June 21, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
No problem with Evans getting that money he's worth it in the crazy world of football it's just when mediocre players get that kind of money it all goes wrong. I'm sure if he does sign the other players agents will be on the phone wanting the same and if they don't they will most probably play up.

Also sets the standard for prospective signings ! BUT on a plus side will make us more attractive to said signings I suppose.

I hate SKY !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #672 on: June 21, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
As a statement of intent it sucks, frankly we have been turned over by the oldest trick in the book. Couple of unsatisfactory bids from a club that probably wouldn't pay Evans more than about £80k a week we are now extending his contract into his mid 30's for £100k a week.

We have spent roughly £10m and not improved the squad. We have the player on a two year contract at somewhere around £50k a week no need to sell nor for that matter improve or extend his  contract.

Despite reports in the media £100k a week players are still not that common. Most mid-table clubs will run to one or two at the most we need to be careful who those players are and be confident that they will be one of their best players through the duration of their contract.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #673 on: June 22, 2017, 12:38:57 AM »
Evans is our best asset and should  be rewarded for his services  so far, if this story is true then at least it shows a bit of intent by club which has long been  over due. Still mad that we never looked after supper kev on return to prem under Mowbray.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #674 on: June 22, 2017, 01:18:35 AM »
Evans is our best asset and should  be rewarded for his services  so far, if this story is true then at least it shows a bit of intent by club which has long been  over due. Still mad that we never looked after supper kev on return to prem under Mowbray.

No that is completely about face. We reward players by paying them what they are worth during their current contract as we have done with Evans future contracts are about they are worth in the future . If true the £100k figure might hold today still a bit of a stretch in my view it but it probably won't in 2 or 3 years time.