Author Topic: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester  (Read 430578 times)

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

Re: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester
« Reply #575 on: September 06, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »
As much as I like Jonny Evans and I admit he`s been brilliant isn't that quote a slight on G MAC who`s been brilliant for 4 or 5 years.

No. G-Mac has been a fantastic signing, but Evans is on a different level. World Class defender.

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #576 on: September 06, 2016, 11:14:56 AM »
Listened to the second half commentary to the Czech Republic/NI game on Sunday.  He sounded immense in an otherwise poor game and was singled out by the commentary team for his performance.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #577 on: September 06, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »
As much as I like Jonny Evans and I admit he`s been brilliant isn't that quote a slight on G MAC who`s been brilliant for 4 or 5 years.

No not in the slighest, as you have said McAuley has been outstanding for the time hes been here especially when you factor in his age.

But if you compare the two, Evans is a class above him, we should be thankful we have them both to be honest, just a shame Gareth isnt getting any younger.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #578 on: September 06, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »
No. G-Mac has been a fantastic signing, but Evans is on a different level. World Class defender.

If Evans was a world class defender, then he would either still be at Man United, or would have joined another club at that level.

He isn't world class. And he isn't one of our best EVER.

£75,000 would be far, far too much.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #579 on: September 06, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
If Evans was a world class defender, then he would either still be at Man United, or would have joined another club at that level.

Many people have stated before that he shouldnt have been sold, he was a key figure for Fergie when fit.

Hes come to use and proven he is a good defender, and been linked with Arsenal for practically half the summer, whether there was any truth or not in the stories is a different matter.

He is a step above the rest of our defence, and would walk into 10-14 premier league defence teams in my opinion.

mrvulgarity

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #580 on: September 06, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »

What a ridiculus post.

Evans is a world class defender who was dropped unexpectadly by Utd and we are extremely fortunate to have him with us. Arsenal links were true, and I honestly think Evans could easily walk into 17-18 of the teams defense and do a brilliant job.

£75000 is a sound investment, and thus we can tie him into a contract that allows us to pop a release clause in thats favorable to us.

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #581 on: September 06, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »
Many people have stated before that he shouldnt have been sold, he was a key figure for Fergie when fit.

Hes come to use and proven he is a good defender, and been linked with Arsenal for practically half the summer, whether there was any truth or not in the stories is a different matter.

He is a step above the rest of our defence, and would walk into 10-14 premier league defence teams in my opinion.

He'll do for me.

No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #582 on: September 06, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
My mate is a United fan, and he's laughing his backside off.

Not only have we taken Darren Fletcher off them, now we're going to pay actual money for Evans.

They are two of the worst players United have had over the last few years, and they've had some duff ones. It's easy to look good when you have world class players around you, and Evans couldn't even manage that.

I remember the 5-5 draw a few years back - any time Lukaku ran at him, he rubbish himself.

Just clicked on this thread for the first time.

Funny old game, isn't it :D
I only go for the beer.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #583 on: September 06, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »
We should be going all out to keep Evans here for longer, he is brilliant. I'm glad the club are trying to pin him down, whatever the cost.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #584 on: September 07, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
Just clicked on this thread for the first time.

Funny old game, isn't it :D

I stand by my opinion. I don't think he's actually that good, and I certainly wouldn't be describing him as world class.

And if you think I'm the only one, then look at the reactions of the Arsenal fans when they were linked, or the United fans when they got rid of him. People here are just blind to him because he comes from the all mighty United.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #585 on: September 07, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »
No chance.  Arsenal will think an ex-Man Utd player and a current West Brom player are below them.  Some Man Utd fans will want to justify their selling of him.  While I wouldn't go as far as world class, he's certainly head and shoulders above what we have.  None of the Man Utd fans I know (I live in Manchester now :(, considered him or Fletcher as two of the worst players they've had.  It's nothing to do with being blinded to ex-Man Utd, I was concerned that we'd gone and got ourselves an O'Shea or Wes Brown like Sunderland did.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #586 on: September 07, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »
I stand by my opinion. I don't think he's actually that good, and I certainly wouldn't be describing him as world class.

And if you think I'm the only one, then look at the reactions of the Arsenal fans when they were linked, or the United fans when they got rid of him. People here are just blind to him because he comes from the all mighty United.

Very different issues. He's good for us. Arsenal wanted big name defenders, from other big clubs, for big fees, because they feel they need it. So do United. They've spent hundreds of millions the last three seasons and not challenged for the league. Just because Arsenal don't want him, and United got rid of him, doesn't mean he's not an excellent player. For us, he's essential. That's all that matters.

Torres was good for Liverpool, dire for Chelsea. Did he become a bad player overnight? Lukaku wasn't wanted at Chelsea, the fans didn't think he was good enough. He was superb here. Can only judge a player's worth when they pull on a shirt for that team - not before.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #587 on: September 07, 2016, 01:31:17 PM »

He plays in a Northern Ireland team that qualified for the European Championships, & is so far doing ok in the world cup qualifiers. With the greatest respect to Jonas, as a footballer John Evans is head & shoulders above him. I'd say he's also one of the top 10 central defenders playing in the Premier League at the moment, & I certainly wouldn't swap him with Chris Smalling. For me John Evans is world class.
The one stand out thing that WBA is lacking at the moment is players with vision, hopefully Chadli can give us more of that, but IMO John Evans is one of the few that have it at the moment.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #588 on: September 07, 2016, 06:28:09 PM »
It's just nice to have central defender who can actually play football as well as defend. In the last home game against Middlesborough he carried the ball forward into midfield several times, and always looked to pass to someone (not his fault that those in front of him were so static)
Jonas only has one trick, to hit a long diagonal ball to no one in particular

Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #589 on: September 07, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »
There's no comparison in the distribution of Evans and Olsson. I actually thought Evans' distribution was an improvement on Yacob in the couple of games he played as DM.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #590 on: September 07, 2016, 11:29:19 PM »
Played well for NI the other night.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #591 on: September 08, 2016, 06:55:33 AM »

Or they actually watch him play week after week and have seen the evidence for themselves that he is a very good defender.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #592 on: September 08, 2016, 07:00:58 AM »
Or they actually watch him play week after week and have seen the evidence for themselves that he is a very good defender.

I don't care where he came from, and I am certainly no 'fan' of past United players.

Jonny Evans is easily the best player in our squad and an absolute top defender. We are very lucky to have him.
MAGA!

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #593 on: September 08, 2016, 07:10:58 AM »
Very, very good player. Lacks a little concentration, pace and/or strength to be a starter for a regular champions league team in my opinion. Any level below that and he is fantastic. We are lucky to have him.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #594 on: October 16, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »
Have just read that Evans is suspended for the Liverpool game.

Will that mean Olssen in to replace him, or maybe Nyom to move to right back, Gallaway in at left bank and Dawson to move to centre back?

Either way, we'll miss Evans for sure

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #595 on: October 16, 2016, 05:19:47 PM »
Have just read that Evans is suspended for the Liverpool game.

Will that mean Olssen in to replace him, or maybe Nyom to move to right back, Gallaway in at left bank and Dawson to move to centre back?

Either way, we'll miss Evans for sure

Yup, although I reckon it'll be Brunt at LB. Since Galloway made a couple of errors (I can't remember the game) he's not had a look in.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #596 on: October 17, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »
Yup, although I reckon it'll be Brunt at LB. Since Galloway made a couple of errors (I can't remember the game) he's not had a look in.

Would be a little surprised if Brunt went straight in for a start, his interview after the match the other day he talks about how tiring it was getting back into proper competitive football. Would be a risk to throw him straight in.

Evans is a big loss but he managed to get those yellow cards very quickly so runs the risk of a further ban at some point as he won't get to the cut off period if he carries on at that rate.

Scruffy Stan

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #597 on: October 17, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »
Can anyone who's seen them all tell me - has Evans got all those yellows because the rest of the defence leaves him under a lot of pressure, or is he reckless, or what? Five yellows by mid-October isn't clever.

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #598 on: October 17, 2016, 02:55:58 PM »
Maybe I havent been paying as much attention as I thought but I cant place those five yellows at all.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #599 on: October 17, 2016, 03:06:46 PM »
Can anyone who's seen them all tell me - has Evans got all those yellows because the rest of the defence leaves him under a lot of pressure, or is he reckless, or what? Five yellows by mid-October isn't clever.

At least two professional fouls (they shall not pass) like Saturday in there.
Baggie in Southampton