Author Topic: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester  (Read 430587 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester
« Reply #275 on: November 29, 2015, 05:53:23 PM »
Played very well but we need him in his usual position for his superior distribution as much as anything else.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #276 on: November 29, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
Did well considering he's got no left foot. Would expect Brunt to come back in, question marks over McAuley today if anyone.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2015, 09:39:09 PM »
Think we should be back to our Northern Ireland trio plus Dawson as the back four for the next game.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #278 on: November 29, 2015, 09:44:30 PM »
Think we should be back to our Northern Ireland trio plus Dawson as the back four for the next game.

Would be very harsh on Olsson, wish we had a decent right back.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: November 29, 2015, 09:53:41 PM »
Would be very harsh on Olsson, wish we had a decent right back.

Must admit that I thought Olsson was past his sell-by date but his last two performances have proved otherwise.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #280 on: November 29, 2015, 10:05:11 PM »
Must admit that I thought Olsson was past his sell-by date but his last two performances have proved otherwise.

The block he made for the Sakho opportunity was either an excellent block or the most laboured, cumbersome piece of defensive covering I've ever witnessed. 

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #281 on: November 29, 2015, 10:57:14 PM »
I thought he was class again today also fair play to Olsen some great blocks. Evans is the difference for me this year seems to have rejuvenated the players around him.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2015, 11:00:09 PM »
Evans was superb.
That said, showed how much we missed Brunt's over-lapping with JMc without him.

How badly must Pulis rate Chester though if was willing to play an injured Evans ahead of him?
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #283 on: November 29, 2015, 11:05:21 PM »
If Evans was really injured he wouldn't have played - that said it makes you wonder if there's a bit of mistrust between TP and Chester.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #284 on: November 29, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »
superb today,missed his distribution from centre though,would expect brunty to come back in next week,on todays performances,it should be mcauley who is dropped from back four,we need a proper right back soon though

smudger 2007

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #285 on: November 30, 2015, 07:37:32 AM »
I got a feeling he will move McLean over bring brunt bk on the left mid and keep same back four. Shame on sess though although not at his best yest don't feel he should be dropped as he adds much needed pace out wide.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »
If Evans was really injured he wouldn't have played - that said it makes you wonder if there's a bit of mistrust between TP and Chester.

The clear issue with Chester is that we have signed him as a full-back and he's clearly not at the level Pulis wants for him to get a game over Dawson in that position and he clearly isn't rated as good as the other central defenders we have for that position either. As for Evans, he probably was playing through injury, you will find players for most clubs will be playing while not 100% after little or no training during the week with the help of injections to get them through games.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #287 on: November 30, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
It's early days but so far I'd say Evans is the best defender I've seen at the club. Hopefully he continues it, everything about him is class.

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #288 on: November 30, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »
It's early days but so far I'd say Evans is the best defender I've seen at the club. Hopefully he continues it, everything about him is class.

It is early days but if this is the level of performance that we will get on a consistent basis, then he is no doubt the best defender I've seen play for us (been going since 1990).

I'm trying not to get carried away...Gianni Zuiverloon taught me that!!! However, there can't be many better defenders outside the top 6!

For all the abuse and criticism he got from all angles when at Man Utd, in reality you don't stay in and around the United first team setup for as long as he did if you aren't a damn good player!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #289 on: November 30, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »
It is early days but if this is the level of performance that we will get on a consistent basis, then he is no doubt the best defender I've seen play for us (been going since 1990).

I'm trying not to get carried away...Gianni Zuiverloon taught me that!!! However, there can't be many better defenders outside the top 6!

For all the abuse and criticism he got from all angles when at Man Utd, in reality you don't stay in and around the United first team setup for as long as he did if you aren't a damn good player!
I agree entirely, but we should always play him in his best position - centre back. TP plays far too many players in unfamiliar positions.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:49:51 PM by OldburyWBA »

botters

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #290 on: November 30, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »

I agree Evans is the best signing we have made in years. He would improve ant of the top 6 teams defensively. I am amazed that we managed to get a player of his quality and experience.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #291 on: November 30, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
Brilliant player and lucky to have him... Be amazed if someone doesn't try to sign him in the summer but with Peace that kind of thing doesn't worry me to much although he would be very hard to replace however much we would get.

peterswellman

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »
United fan here....go easy on the abuse ;)

I think yeah getting an excellent player and in a sense I'm very disappointed to see him go. On form, he's still the best defender we have. There was a time when we set the record for clean-sheets that he was arguably our best defender. He's an excellent passer and very good reader of the game. I think he'll do very well.

For the last 18 months for us, his confidence has been shot to pieces. He would be just returning to form and either get an injury setback or suspended. The spitting with Cisse was the final straw with LVG. He was actually coming back to form before that as well.

All-in-all, you're getting an excellent defender for a decent price. We are offloading a player who has been a great servant but is no longer in the managers plans. I really like Jonny and hope he does well for you guys.

Glad to see he has started brightly anyway. He's a good guy and hope it continues for him.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2016, 10:11:07 PM »
Hope the injury isn't too bad, although Hamstrings tend to be bad ones.

Sooner he's restored to centre back and Olsson on the bench the better.

t76

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2016, 03:25:54 PM »
Hope the injury isn't too bad, although Hamstrings tend to be bad ones.

Sooner he's restored to centre back and Olsson on the bench the better.
Totally agree with you.
Light travels faster than sound.That's why some people appear bright until they speak.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2016, 12:26:55 PM »
Was listening to Graham Hunter’s podcast last night, his guest was the impressive Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill.  The subject turned to Jonny Evans, both were waxing lyrical about what a fine defender he is and how he should still be playing in the Champions League and although both gave their “with all due respects” were shocked that he stepped down to a team of our standing.  They also suggested that he should be using the Euro’s to showcase his abilities to potential suitors. 

What a fine defender we have in Evans but what a shame someone who is head and shoulders above the rest of our lot is being shoe horned into playing left back to accommodate Olsson, its criminal really.   He can’t be happy and maybe he will be attempting to showcase his quality in the Euros to other clubs.
"This crack is really moreish."

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #296 on: May 18, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »
Was listening to Graham Hunter’s podcast last night, his guest was the impressive Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill.  The subject turned to Jonny Evans, both were waxing lyrical about what a fine defender he is and how he should still be playing in the Champions League and although both gave their “with all due respects” were shocked that he stepped down to a team of our standing.  They also suggested that he should be using the Euro’s to showcase his abilities to potential suitors. 

What a fine defender we have in Evans but what a shame someone who is head and shoulders above the rest of our lot is being shoe horned into playing left back to accommodate Olsson, its criminal really.   He can’t be happy and maybe he will be attempting to showcase his quality in the Euros to other clubs.

Agreed, wouldn't be suprised if we lost him. How Pulis can decide to play the likes of Olsson is criminal. Best centre half we have had for some time and we waste him
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2016, 12:42:45 PM »

I'm not sure that's the case, if Brunt hadn't have been injured, it's unlikely that Jonas would have played. IMO it's the fact that Johnny Evens is so versatile that TP uses him as left back.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #298 on: May 18, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
I'm not sure that's the case, if Brunt hadn't have been injured, it's unlikely that Jonas would have played. IMO it's the fact that Johnny Evens is so versatile that TP uses him as left back.

Regardless of Brunt's injury TP doesn't have to play Olsson but still chooses to. I do expect us to sign another versatile defender this summer that can play across the back 4.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #299 on: May 18, 2016, 01:21:25 PM »
Regardless of Brunt's injury TP doesn't have to play Olsson but still chooses to. I do expect us to sign another versatile defender this summer that can play across the back 4.

I hear Derby are releasing Baird...