Author Topic: The Allardyce exercise  (Read 2242 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

The Allardyce exercise
« on: June 01, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »
without getting into the whys and wherefores, how much did the Allardyce exercise cost the club in pure financial terms (not going to get into player dis-affection / loss of value, scenarios)
a) Pay off for Bilic
b) wages the 2 Sams and acolytes
c) wages for Okay / Diagne / Snodgrass
d) Snodgrass contract
e) other bits and bobs

Surely Mr Dowling has this in his already lengthy "minus column" when it comes to annual review time?

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

Re: The Allardyce exercise
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 12:47:32 PM »
without getting into the whys and wherefores, how much did the Allardyce exercise cost the club in pure financial terms (not going to get into player dis-affection / loss of value, scenarios)
a) Pay off for Bilic
b) wages the 2 Sams and acolytes
c) wages for Okay / Diagne / Snodgrass
d) Snodgrass contract
e) other bits and bobs

Surely Mr Dowling has this in his already lengthy "minus column" when it comes to annual review time?

All for hardly, if any, improvement in style, future prospects, player development, goals scored, goals conceded, results, points gained, points lost or staying in the greed league. 

Superb job by all concerned they should be adequately rewarded for their efforts. I will personally write up their references and provide transport (one way - mainland UK only. They can fund  any further themselves.)  Hope they all find their new jobs soon, a long way from WBA.

I believe there may be places available in an establishment in a California State Department premises located north of San Francisco in Marin County
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 12:55:13 PM by wodenson46 »

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 01:49:28 PM »
The upturn in Pereira's form and resulting extra millions it will bring in will unfortunately save Dowlings skin.
It was an expensive risk and didn't come close to saving us in what turned out to be a bit of a freak season points-wise. Still, had we started the season with the squad we finished it with, and the manager we finished it with, I have no doubt we could have stayed up. Had we finished it with the manager we started with I have no doubt we still would have gone down. All hearsay of course but the improvements were there for all to see from the end of January.
Allllllll aboard

bakebaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 04:14:45 PM »
All for hardly, if any, improvement in style, future prospects, player development, goals scored, goals conceded, results, points gained, points lost or staying in the greed league. 

Superb job by all concerned they should be adequately rewarded for their efforts. I will personally write up their references and provide transport (one way - mainland UK only. They can fund  any further themselves.)  Hope they all find their new jobs soon, a long way from WBA.

I believe there may be places available in an establishment in a California State Department premises located north of San Francisco in Marin County
San Quintin is too soft for them with its mild weather; send them to Kern Valley where they'll freeze in the winter and boil in the summer!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 07:19:02 PM »
Don’t know how much it cost but understand the sentiment. A huge, short term gamble which, yet again, failed miserably. Please learn from it Albion.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 07:31:37 PM »
We should have accepted relegation and not bothered with the investment. It would have put us in much better place for the coming season.

Nigel Pearson was available at that point as well, could have offered him the job with one eye on the new season.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 10:51:19 AM »
San Quintin is too soft for them with its mild weather; send them to Kern Valley where they'll freeze in the winter and boil in the summer!

Heyyy man! that I DO like.
Be perfect if they could all share the same cell. No chance of escaping the drop then

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
It day cum cheap , it day werk, it wor wuth it, werst  o' time. Thanks Sam. Yo lived in the shadow of the great Duncan Edwards, and that's all yow was a shadder.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 07:48:06 AM »
Agreed that Bilic had to go as it looked like he had lost his confidence. Thought Allardyce would sort out defense when he first came in but he did not more concerned about getting covid. Finishing 13 points from safety says it all about his stay at the Hawthorns not bloody good enough!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 08:32:09 AM »
"The Allardyce Exercise" - good title for a spy film

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 06:48:38 PM »
Good post, valid points raised.

Do I think Slaven would have turned it around? No, but it doesn't matter what I think.
Do I think Sam was a pointless exercise? Yes. The result is precisely what I expected, as much as I'd hoped otherwise.

I don't know what other options we had but I am of absolutely no doubt that our powers that be are utterly devoid of a masterplan.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music