Author Topic: End of the Premier League, how does that affect us?  (Read 30565 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: End of the Premier League, how does that affect us?
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »
MOTD in a blind panic about who to put on first without the 'Big Six'
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »
This is simple to kill, players registrations to play in leagues other than “the super league” are embargoed. Go there and there is no coming back!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »
Let them go, ban them from all domestic competition and all Uefa competitions and ban the players from playing for their countries. I'd also make it impossible for those teams to buy players from non super league clubs. It should be a closed shop with no other teams allowed to join. If clubs want to leave the Super League they would have to reapply for league status and begin at the bottom.

They can have their Super league without relegation; let's see how long it lasts. Players want to win things, if the only competition you can win is a meaningless championship then I'm sure the novelty would wear off very soon.

Sadly though, a premier league without the top/big 6 clubs isn't such an attractive opportunity for Tv games so the money will be less (probably about 50% more than is paid for the Championship at present), meaning less money will be available to the lower tiers and clubs from league 1 and 2 and maybe some from the Championship will go out of business as well as many non league sides. If the top 6 clubs stay and increase their share of the money then this may happen anyway.

On the plus side the league would be more competitive as would the cup competitions including the Champions league so for supporters of the smaller clubs it's a win win.

Maybe we'd start seeing more kids supporting their home town team rather than a big European side they have no hope of ever seeing in the flesh.

I know it's a pipe dream and UEFA/EPL will never take the hardline stance that I've posited.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:07:09 PM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »
Let them go, ban them from all domestic competition and all Uefa competitions and ban the players from playing for their countries. I'd also make it impossible for those teams to buy players from non super league clubs. It should be a closed shop with no other teams allowed to join. If clubs want to leave the Super League they would have to reapply for league status and begin at the bottom.

They can have their Super league without relegation; let's see how long it lasts. Players want to win things, if the only competition you can win is a meaningless championship then I'm sure the novelty would wear off very soon.

Sadly though, a premier league without the top/big 6 clubs isn't such an attractive opportunity for Tv games so the money will be less (probably about 50% more than is paid for the Championship at present), meaning less money will be available to the lower tiers and clubs from league 1 and 2 and maybe some from the Championship will go out of business as well as many non league sides. If the top 6 clubs stay and increase their share of the money then this may happen anyway.

On the plus side the league would be more competitive as would the cup competitions including the Champions league so for supporters of the smaller clubs it's a win win.

Maybe we'd start seeing more kids supporting their home town team rather than a big European side they have no hope of ever seeing in the flesh.

I know it's a pipe dream and UEFA/EPL will never take the hardline stance that I've posited.

I disagree they have no alternative but to take a hard-line stance. No way will anyone but the Soccer League teams be able to compete for a league title at a whopping 350e million each and 500e for the winner guaranteed every season. If six English clubs are founding members no way will another be allowed to enter from here. What happens to the CL is it scrapped/Europa league also scrapped. So no top flight European football for any other English side (unless they keep the 2nd tier UCL and the now third tier Europa). Title wrapped up by Christmas by anyone of the soccer six.

If they don't take a hard line stance this will kill the domestic top flight game. The money in it has already gone what ever happens.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:17:04 PM by BoingFlyer »
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2021, 01:23:19 PM »
MOTD in a blind panic about who to put on first without the 'Big Six'
I bet they'll still know who to put on last though  :'(

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2021, 01:24:28 PM »
I'm genuinely surprised at the reaction to this. Given the 2021 demographic of people watching football I would have expected far more support.

This isn't going to go away now, not until it happens in some way, shape or form. These clubs under their current ownership have made clear their contempt for the match going supporter. Sadly for all the decent, honest, local supporters of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc that walk away there will be coach and plane loads of tourists ready to take their place. Or better still, billions of subscribers ready to pay for the games around the globe.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2021, 01:53:15 PM »
I'm genuinely surprised at the reaction to this. Given the 2021 demographic of people watching football I would have expected far more support.

This isn't going to go away now, not until it happens in some way, shape or form. These clubs under their current ownership have made clear their contempt for the match going supporter. Sadly for all the decent, honest, local supporters of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc that walk away there will be coach and plane loads of tourists ready to take their place. Or better still, billions of subscribers ready to pay for the games around the globe.

I don't see how a super-league can ever happen. To be clear these big 15 odd clubs want a replacement for the UCL in which they are guaranteed a lucrative spot every season, they do not want to vacate their domestic leagues. Yet with the other majority top league clubs against this, the FA, the gov, UEFA and FIFA against them they have no chance of pulling this off. They can form a European super cup / league but only at the expense of being 1) expelled from domestic football and 2) players banned from international football - that is a price they cannot ever pay - as it would amount to self destruction.

So all in all, it is never going to happen. But it makes for great media print and discussion.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2021, 02:13:02 PM »
The “big teams” making more money with “smaller teams” having no chance to compete. No relegation so the big teams can never go down. What a novel concept, at least that’s not been tried before ;)

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »
I don't see how a super-league can ever happen. To be clear these big 15 odd clubs want a replacement for the UCL in which they are guaranteed a lucrative spot every season, they do not want to vacate their domestic leagues. Yet with the other majority top league clubs against this, the FA, the gov, UEFA and FIFA against them they have no chance of pulling this off. They can form a European super cup / league but only at the expense of being 1) expelled from domestic football and 2) players banned from international football - that is a price they cannot ever pay - as it would amount to self destruction.

So all in all, it is never going to happen. But it makes for great media print and discussion.

I hope you are right. However the previous 12 months has shown these clubs that they don't need fans through the door, the audience for these clubs is spends their time deciding which subscription services to join and not which games to attend. Football has been dying on its backside for a while, this hasn't happened over night.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2021, 02:26:18 PM »
The more you hear and read about the breakaway the more American it becomes. It would be no surprise if within 5 years of the star Man Urinal were playing their home games in Tampa , Liverpool in Boston , Chelsea in Moscow . After all the Yanks call the MLB final the WORLD SERIES as though everybody plays adult rounders .
  It is also following the ‘ American Way ‘ which generally revolves around money and what it can buy. Can see the end of taking the knee and the beginning of bowing down in front of the dollar !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2021, 02:29:22 PM »
The more you hear and read about the breakaway the more American it becomes. It would be no surprise if within 5 years of the star Man Urinal were playing their home games in Tampa , Liverpool in Boston , Chelsea in Moscow . After all the Yanks call the MLB final the WORLD SERIES as though everybody plays adult rounders .
  It is also following the ‘ American Way ‘ which generally revolves around money and what it can buy. Can see the end of taking the knee and the beginning of bowing down in front of the dollar !

The fact they announced it at 11:00pm uk time and it was mid / late afternoon here in North America (I live in Canada) says everything.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »
And how long will those foreign fans support the likes of Arsenal or Spurs when they finish bottom of the league every season? I hope they are kicked out of the premier league if they go this route. Where is the fairness to the other teams (Leicester, West Ham) who finish above Arsenal yet don't have the right to compete. Absolute joke of a suggestion.

I think this is a very, very valid point and shows its problems.
Just a few years back Liverpool hadn't won much in years and couldn't get near the top 4. These 'fans' that view this will be fickle by nature, so if say Spurs keep finishing bottom then how long will it last?

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2021, 03:04:36 PM »
I think this is a very, very valid point and shows its problems.
Just a few years back Liverpool hadn't won much in years and couldn't get near the top 4. These 'fans' that view this will be fickle by nature, so if say Spurs keep finishing bottom then how long will it last?
It's worse than that though as there will only be one position of prestige, finishing second will mean nothing, it will be akin to finishing runner up in the Superbowl(who cares).
If therefore, there is no draft system, and one team becomes dominant, it will become sterile very quickly indeed.

I feel that, in the short term, this will go away amid all the widespread condemnation. The PL will then put on a brave front, and maybe even claim victory, but will surreptitiously buckle and hand more power to these leeches. This will repeat, until, eventually, they will have enough power, influence and money to do whatever they wish.

That's why it needs to be stopped, not kicked under the carpet. The rest of football needs to unite, say enough is enough and call their bluff. Eject them from their respective leagues and start again with a new set of fair and wholesome protocols. Yes there would be an immediate financial hit, but, provided everyone stuck together and weathered the storm, the future could be bright.
Give in, however, and there is only one future and that is the end of football as we know it. :'(

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2021, 03:11:57 PM »
Staggering broadside from UEFA president

That was an amazing press conference from UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin.

He started on the offensive and kept going, calling the people responsible for the Super League plans 'liars' and 'snakes'.

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was blasted, Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli was accused of walking away from his member clubs.

Ceferin said he will be talking to lawyers tomorrow to see if there is any potential for clubs being thrown out of European competition - five of them are due to play in Champions League or Europa League semi-finals next week - and players being barred from Euro 2020.

Unbelievable stuff.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2021, 03:14:04 PM »
The can of worms has been well and truly opened.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2021, 03:16:14 PM »
Staggering broadside from UEFA president

That was an amazing press conference from UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin.

He started on the offensive and kept going, calling the people responsible for the Super League plans 'liars' and 'snakes'.

Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was blasted, Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli was accused of walking away from his member clubs.

Ceferin said he will be talking to lawyers tomorrow to see if there is any potential for clubs being thrown out of European competition - five of them are due to play in Champions League or Europa League semi-finals next week - and players being barred from Euro 2020.

Unbelievable stuff.

Wow!. Going to be an incredible next couple of days/weeks.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »
It has to be stopped, by boycotts, whatever it takes. I hope all the English and other Leagues around Europe and UEFA use every penalty and ban in the book, and think of a few new ones.  Anything that has "foundation members" is wrong, because it puts privilege and heritage above winning competitions and football matches.

From an Albion point of view I'd also be 100% against. Striving to be the best of some leftovers league wouldn't mean much. You might as well support an amateur club as they know they won't be promoted, and they can at least strive to be the best amateur club.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2021, 03:24:40 PM »
I disagree they have no alternative but to take a hard-line stance. No way will anyone but the Soccer League teams be able to compete for a league title at a whopping 350e million each and 500e for the winner guaranteed every season. If six English clubs are founding members no way will another be allowed to enter from here. What happens to the CL is it scrapped/Europa league also scrapped. So no top flight European football for any other English side (unless they keep the 2nd tier UCL and the now third tier Europa). Title wrapped up by Christmas by anyone of the soccer six.

If they don't take a hard line stance this will kill the domestic top flight game. The money in it has already gone what ever happens.

I agree they have to take a hardline stance, I meant the hard line stance that I put forward including the ban of transfers from other leagues etc.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »
If UEFA and the PL do nothing now it looks very weak and leaves them open to further continued tantrums from the big 6.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2021, 03:35:31 PM »
An unprecedented 14 club PL meeting has been called.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2021, 04:05:56 PM »
Kierian Dyer doesn't think players from Super League should face bans from the World Cup or Euros, because its not their fault. Well, nobody is forced to play for Man Utd, Tottenham, Liverpool  etc. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
Part of me feels let them go and don't let them back in. Part of me feels this will be awful for domestic football in this country.

I can see them reducing the amounts of places in the premier league as a compromise and reducing the number of games to allow the "big six" to compete in the new super league.

It's just typical Albion to get relegated in the season that this may come about.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2021, 04:16:33 PM »
If they don't go for it now, they will lose face.
A rod of their own making.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2021, 04:33:12 PM »
Maybe Big Sam will keep us up after all 😂😂😂

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2021, 04:35:54 PM »
I think we need to get used to the idea that we are in for a very rocky few years as everyone tries to work out how not to go bankrupt. The TV rights for the top flight are going to nose dive, with or without the franchise 6 involved. There might be a temptation to allow them to stay and get the handouts on offer but if not, it's hard to see how the clubs will service their debt with all of the lost revenue.

If we can get through those few years, football might get fun again. A better chance of European qualification with trips to Spain and Greece, a chance to win cups and even challenge for the league title.

The Germans havr lead the way again, the real "best league in the world". Bayern currently look likely to stay - at least in the short to medium term. Combined with top clubs from the Netherlands, Russia, Greece and Portugal, you will still have a number of big names in UEFA comps.

It might even be wise to allow fan owned Phoenix clubs for the big 6 direct entry to the premier league, potentially taking fans away from the franchises. The only issues there are how they build infrastructure, plus self interest of the clubs left behind. Maybe clubs like Everton, West Ham and the FA could offer ground shares for a few years?
Boing Boing