Author Topic: 3 May 2021 Albion 1 Wolves 1  (Read 32599 times)

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #325 on: May 03, 2021, 09:09:02 PM »
I still think we’d be mad to allow him to go unless we really do have a better replacement lined up. And I’m hugely struggling to believe that’s the case with our Board and off-field management.

Gambling with an up-and-coming coach wouldn’t be my vote when the wrong call now could land us in the wilderness for years.

We also have a poor team - the worst we’ve been relegated with IMHO since Gary Megson’s side. There’s some major surgery and dealing to be done to make this team even good enough to challenge - we’re kidding ourselves if we think there’s the bones of an EPL team just waiting to blossom.

Tonight’s game was yet more proof. We go on and on about selections and tactics, but we’ve won five games all season. FIVE. That’s a lack of ability and quality.

If we end up with around 30 points that would for me probably be a par or slightly above par score with the players we have.

So who would you trust with this challenging task? Dowling rebuilding in partnership with a less experienced coach, who most certainly won’t have Allardyce’s experience or track record? Or a manager who’s been successful at what he does for almost 30 years?

A new coach could be a genius, but it’s a big job to tackle if he’s not much good. The consequences of getting this wrong could be totally disastrous for our club. There is SO much at stake.

We’re not a big enough club with a secure enough foundation to roll the dice and just hope we get a big number. If we get this wrong, we are bang in trouble.

I’m going with the experienced manager with a successful 30 year record every time.

This isn’t the time to go with left-field appointments given what’s at stake.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #326 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:59 PM »
Had to nip out after the game, the Bomber was talking on Radio WM he said Sam Allardyce is the man to get us back into the Premier league so we must keep him. That is good enough for me, i know who's opinion i value most!!
I was listening to Bomber too, and whilst I'm not sure he's right about Allardyce, he was spot on when saying we miss a midfielder able to break forward into the box. Bomber was probably far too modest to say the kind of player he used to be. As he said, our  midfielders are too similar. Apart from Robinson occasionally, I can't think of anyone who makes runs forward into shooting positions.     
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #327 on: May 03, 2021, 09:20:30 PM »
I’m going with the experienced manager with a successful 30 year record every time.

This isn’t the time to go with left-field appointments given what’s at stake.

He's overseen us relegated this season, that's his most recent work.   Speak to some Everton fans to see how successful he was in his previous job.

Put it this way, if you were a team in the Championship, or, someone like Fulham, going down, would you be trying to have a chat with Sam about coming in and taking the job?  I don't think so.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2021, 09:23:16 PM »
He's overseen us relegated this season, that's his most recent work.   Speak to some Everton fans to see how successful he was in his previous job.

Put it this way, if you were a team in the Championship, or, someone like Fulham, going down, would you be trying to have a chat with Sam about coming in and taking the job?  I don't think so.

That’s the difference of opinion right there. I most definitely would if I didn’t see better options available.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #329 on: May 03, 2021, 09:23:18 PM »
I was listening to Bomber too, and whilst I'm not sure he's right about Allardyce, he was spot on when saying we miss a midfielder able to break forward into the box. Bomber was probably far too modest to say the kind of player he used to be. As he said, our  midfielders are too similar. Apart from Robinson occasionally, I can't think of anyone who makes runs forward into shooting positions.   

Definitely missed that today.  With Gallagher, AMN and Okay, none of them are really known for getting forward to score some goals.  Gallagher is the closest.  When we've played more attacking we've actually had players arriving into the box, like you said, Robinson would do it, as would Phillips - even Furlong would pop up sometimes.  I'm sure Diangana or Grant would too.  Setting up with the way we did today meant it wasn't going to happen.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #330 on: May 03, 2021, 09:25:09 PM »
That’s the difference of opinion right there. I most definitely would if I didn’t see better options available.

The second sentence is key - we won't know until the end of the season.  I'd keep Sam if there aren't any other better options available too.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #331 on: May 03, 2021, 09:27:24 PM »
Gallagher does this quite well yet his finishing is below par , big miss tonight !
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #332 on: May 03, 2021, 09:34:28 PM »
Allardyce would have expected Wolves to set up with a back three so he set up to counter that. The last time we failed to do that we got over run at Leicester.

He changed it after half an hour but we never really got going in truth. We're not a good enough team to put in consistent high quality performances. We're capable of it every so often but that's as good as it's going to get with this squad.

Very much this. At this level we’re going to have 3 or 4 good games out of 10 I’m afraid. We just don’t have consistent players for prem football.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #333 on: May 03, 2021, 09:35:25 PM »

We’ve been going down all season. The bookies had us favourites for relegation before a ball was even kicked.

Personally, I’d have brought him in sooner to give us a better chance of surviving.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:39:06 PM by PartisanBaggie »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #334 on: May 03, 2021, 09:36:06 PM »
Very much this. At this level we’re going to have 3 or 4 good games out of 10 I’m afraid. We just don’t have consistent players for prem football.

we definitely don't have the calibre of defenders so why persist with defensive football - gutless and brainless
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #335 on: May 03, 2021, 09:38:42 PM »
Gallagher does this quite well yet his finishing is below par , big miss tonight !
Nobody can criticise Gallagher's workrate and energy. He makes runs forward, but he doesn't seem to time his runs forward into shooting positions. Also, a lot of his runs with the ball take him straight into a cluster of players.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:40:38 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #336 on: May 03, 2021, 09:49:45 PM »
Nobody can criticise Gallagher's workrate and energy. He makes runs forward, but he doesn't seem to time his runs forward into shooting positions. Also, a lot of his runs with the ball take him straight into a cluster of players.

I found at times his enthusiasm would get in the way when we were attacking/counter-attacking teams.

I think the way you’ve pointed out him not timing his runs pretty much sums up his game.

The lad may benefit from another season in the Championship starting every game. Give him the opportunity to work on the timing of his runs, etc.

Unlikely to be with us but I wish him well for the future 👍🏻

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2021, 09:56:13 PM »
we definitely don't have the calibre of defenders so why persist with defensive football - gutless and brainless

It'd be like playing Andy Carroll and setting up your entire team up to keep it on the deck and play one-two's.
Or signing Messi and thinking you should keep hitting it long.

A good manager will play to his team's strengths - not insist on a way of playing that doesn't suit the team.  Over time they can bring players in to play the way he wants - but if you're there and need a short term fix you play to strengths, not weaknesses.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2021, 10:33:39 PM »
Value bombers opinion but I'dont agree with his assessment on keeping Allardyce. Tonights game probably summed up his time with us, games we had a chance of winning he sets this team up to give possession to opposition in the hope that a defence which concedes goals for fun will change a habit of a life time. Our strengths are defending from the front look at Southampton game for the perfect tactics and team selection, why oh why move away from that formula? Easy answer really that is not the way Sam likes his teams to set up, so it's a big no from me to let him continue in charge when he failed miserably to keep us up.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2021, 10:47:13 PM »
Thought we were poor and whilst I am glad Allardyce changed it after 30mins, we should never have set up like that in the first place. I get that he was caught out against Leicester's back 3 but Wolves are a different kettle of fish and have been switching between a back 4 amd 3 all season. If he wanted flexibility, he should have included Phillips from the start who can play as a winger or a wing-back. O'Shea unlucky to be off ahead of Ajayi, I suspect Allardyce wanted to retain Ajayi's pace although not sure why though, we didn't have a high back line or press high.

Felt like the sub to bring on another forward player should have happened sooner than it did but as others have pointed out, the weather killed the game. It was a risk-averse approach from Allardyce today, something he will always do and a mark against him staying on for me, it's just not my preference.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2021, 10:48:36 PM »
Value bombers opinion but I'dont agree with his assessment on keeping Allardyce. Tonights game probably summed up his time with us, games we had a chance of winning he sets this team up to give possession to opposition in the hope that a defence which concedes goals for fun will change a habit of a life time. Our strengths are defending from the front look at Southampton game for the perfect tactics and team selection, why oh why move away from that formula? Easy answer really that is not the way Sam likes his teams to set up, so it's a big no from me to let him continue in charge when he failed miserably to keep us up.

I think a lot of this is valid and am concerned that his naturally cautious approach would result in the team not winning enough games next season to win promotion.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2021, 08:08:16 AM »
Will the wolves ever learn?

Too much chat about how great they are, how they were going to hammer us, send us down (by contributing 15% of our total points).

All those European nights, and recent "success" and they're fuming again, trying to console themselves by crowing about our relegation (as if we hadn't accepted it in October) only makes it funnier.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2021, 09:03:39 AM »
Will the wolves ever learn?

Too much chat about how great they are, how they were going to hammer us, send us down (by contributing 15% of our total points).

All those European nights, and recent "success" and they're fuming again, trying to console themselves by crowing about our relegation (as if we hadn't accepted it in October) only makes it funnier.

Pity we could not have taken all 6 points off them, would have been a highlight and sore point for them in years to come, but as you say we were realistic and accepted our fate in October. They really do need to look at the direction their own club is going and not worry about us, we will meet again 😉
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2021, 09:22:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can get radio WM online. Not that I want to listen to that Paul Franks clown anytime soon.

You can, but they're not allowed to cover the games live online
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #344 on: May 04, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »
I think a lot of this is valid and am concerned that his naturally cautious approach would result in the team not winning enough games next season to win promotion.

That may not be the case next season having had the summer to shape the squad and prepare for the campaign ahead.

I’d be cautious if I was managing us in the Premier League right given the squad I have to select from.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #345 on: May 04, 2021, 09:25:46 AM »
Did I hear right last night, thought I heard the commentator say that SA was keen to make OK loan a permanent for next season?
If true then SA wants a crack at the Championship?

Hope so I've said all along that Okay is the type of player that you could build a side around.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:27:37 AM by tuamigos »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #346 on: May 04, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
Did I hear right last night, thought I heard the commentator say that SA was keen to make OK loan a permanent for next season?

Hope so I've said all along that Okay is the type of player that you could build a side around.

I’ve been impressed with Okay and had resigned myself to him being sold by Celta Vigo in the summer to another club maybe. If there was a chance we could sign Okay that would be fantastic!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #347 on: May 04, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »

What I heard the commentator say was 'First thing Sam Allardyce wants to do if West Brom stay in the premier league is make Yokuslu's deal permanent'.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #348 on: May 04, 2021, 09:44:36 AM »
I’ve been impressed with Okay and had resigned myself to him being sold by Celta Vigo in the summer to another club maybe. If there was a chance we could sign Okay that would be fantastic!
To be honest he has levelled off a bit, in comparison to his first few games, which, hopefully, will take him out of the shop window a bit and give us a chance of getting him. because, even at 70% of the form he showed early on, he is still head and shoulders above Livermore.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #349 on: May 04, 2021, 09:48:03 AM »
To be honest he has levelled off a bit, in comparison to his first few games, which, hopefully, will take him out of the shop window a bit and give us a chance of getting him. because, even at 70% of the form he showed early on, he is still head and shoulders above Livermore.

At 1% of the form he would still be head and shoulders above Livermore.