Author Topic: Mbaye Diagne  (Read 83109 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Mbaye Diagne
« Reply #525 on: May 05, 2021, 03:56:49 PM »
Not that was accurate, as reported, which makes the decision a no brainer. If we sign Diagne it is not just to help get us promoted, but to lead the line in the premiership when we are back. It would be stupid not to try to get the deal done.
I agree. We are not going to get much else for that money.
No brainer.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #526 on: May 05, 2021, 03:58:46 PM »
I agree. We are not going to get much else for that money.
No brainer.

You can't even get a Zohore for that can you?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #527 on: May 05, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »
Not exactly the natural goal scorer we need when you look at his stats. Those who think he would tear up the Championship are living in dreamland. £8m plus £40k per week - you ‘avin a laf!

DIAGNE: 
14 games
3 goals
10 shots on target 
13% conversion rate
379 mins per goal

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #528 on: May 05, 2021, 07:08:12 PM »
Not exactly the natural goal scorer we need when you look at his stats. Those who think he would tear up the Championship are living in dreamland. £8m plus £40k per week - you ‘avin a laf!

DIAGNE: 
14 games
3 goals
10 shots on target 
13% conversion rate
379 mins per goal

Don’t forget those two assists.

His record would be even greater had he known the offside rule.

For what we’ve paid he’s been a good signing for us and we would be in a much better position had we had him from the summer.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #529 on: May 05, 2021, 07:30:43 PM »
Wish we had signed him and not Grant in the summer. Pray we sign him this summer, far better than anything else we could attract in the championship, much like Allardyce
Allllllll aboard

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #530 on: May 05, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »
Not exactly the natural goal scorer we need

141 goals in 215 games, he's every inch a natural goalscorer.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #531 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:43 PM »
141 goals in 215 games, he's every inch a natural goalscorer.

We must have been watching different players 82.

I was watching a so called striker who consistently missed relatively easy chances, had air-shots and too often was caught offside.

Might have been effective in the lower standard Turkish leagues but obviously not good enough in the Premier League.
West Brom 2023/24

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #532 on: May 05, 2021, 07:54:03 PM »

I was watching a so called striker who consistently missed relatively easy chances, had air-shots and too often was caught offside.

Might have been effective in the lower standard Turkish leagues but obviously not good enough in the Premier League.

Good job we won't be anywhere near the Premier League next season then isn't it?  ;D

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #533 on: May 05, 2021, 08:31:50 PM »

Obviously is good enough for the Premier league and has been a big factor in our improvement post January
Allllllll aboard

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #534 on: May 05, 2021, 09:10:57 PM »

But the question relates to next season, when clearly we won’t be premier league.
I wonder how many are saying no because of his age and potential injuries, but wanted us to sign Gayle ?
A front 3 of grant Robinson and this guy would absolutely murder the Championship.....the crucial bit will be the addition of one half decent destroyer at dcm.
I hope we do sign him.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #535 on: May 05, 2021, 09:12:19 PM »
It'd be a no brainer for me for around 5 million. Good season in the championship and I think he has enough of a pedigree across europe for us to at least get that money back
"You'll never get past Claudio"

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #536 on: May 05, 2021, 11:51:05 PM »
Surprising that some bulk at the transfer fees being quoted for Mbaye . Given that the club has shelled out big time on Zohore and Grant with precious little return , IMHO Mbaye is streets ahead as an all round striker .

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #537 on: May 06, 2021, 07:47:43 AM »
Not interested personally due to his age, his nomadic career, poor finishing and lack of mobility. I think the figures quoted for us are too rich also. He has done ok for us, he's a classic "option from the bench striker" for me as opposed to someone I'd want leading the line all season.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #538 on: May 06, 2021, 09:56:34 AM »
I'm surprised more people don't want him, it's interesting to see the differing opinions. For what it's worth, Southampton and Brighton are both after him, so there's that!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #539 on: May 06, 2021, 10:43:01 AM »
Don’t forget those two assists.

His record would be even greater had he known the offside rule.

For what we’ve paid he’s been a good signing for us and we would be in a much better position had we had him from the summer.
Add the one against Saints, which was simply a refereeing error, and he's on par with the likes of Watkins, Ings and Lacazette.

Can't believe how anyone thinks he's not worth £4.5m. You'd pay that for some Tom Noddy from Derby or Blues!

No VAR and the fact that not many teams will dare play a high line against us next season mean he won't have to worry about offside so much either ;)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #540 on: May 06, 2021, 10:47:30 AM »
He's every bit a starting PL striker. The mind boggles at some of these posts tbh. Especially given the dross we've had up front in recent years.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

darby009

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #541 on: May 06, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
Add the one against Saints, which was simply a refereeing error, and he's on par with the likes of Watkins, Ings and Lacazette.

Can't believe how anyone thinks he's not worth £4.5m. You'd pay that for some Tom Noddy from Derby or Blues!

No VAR and the fact that not many teams will dare play a high line against us next season mean he won't have to worry about offside so much either ;)

If we can make it happen this would be one of the first bits of business I would do.  one of his biggest assets is the way he allows others to play and brings in to play some of our other attacking players.

Imagine a forward of his ilk, (assuming MP leaves) then you still have a 3 of Grant(left which is actually his position) Robinson central (No10 role) and Grady on the right this gives us a good start at championship level.  Obviously we need two proper tough midfielders to replace Okay & AMN to allow that system to work but i feel that if we have Big Sam he will look to build on this system

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #542 on: May 06, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »
If we can make it happen this would be one of the first bits of business I would do.  one of his biggest assets is the way he allows others to play and brings in to play some of our other attacking players.

Imagine a forward of his ilk, (assuming MP leaves) then you still have a 3 of Grant(left which is actually his position) Robinson central (No10 role) and Grady on the right this gives us a good start at championship level.  Obviously we need two proper tough midfielders to replace Okay & AMN to allow that system to work but i feel that if we have Big Sam he will look to build on this system
Okay will stay! Feel it in my bones!
AMN is easier to replace so not that bothered, but the chances of us getting better than Diagne, for that money, is virtually zero so just get it done.
The other thing to remember is, if we can keep one or both of them, there's less pressure to sell Pereira. He might even want to stay.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #543 on: May 06, 2021, 11:56:05 AM »
I think it's difficult to make a call one way or the other until we know for definite what the transfer fee and wages are. Not press rumours or football forum speculation of what the amounts are. Actual figures. Ability wise it's a yes from me in the meantime.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #544 on: May 06, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »

He is more often than not in the right position to make an attempt on goal. An inherent ability not just something that can be taught in training.

He had one air shot.

He has missed or had saved about 3 of what might be termed easy chances. at least one of which he made entirely by his own skills. Other chances were often a very good save or a good bit of work by a defender. Many were simply the types of chances missed by all strikers at times.

Offsides were nearly all marginal and without var reviewing a number of times may well not have been given. At least one of these was wrongly given.

Add to this his assists, his goals scored, the part he part played in the build up to other goals and his general link up play all of which are a class above anything we have had for many a year

You must have just been watching the tv replays of the misses mate. Diagne is the best forward of this type we have had since Rondon, for the monies quoted he is a bargain, but will he sign fo us?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:22:14 PM by wodenson46 »

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #545 on: May 06, 2021, 05:47:21 PM »

â€œa class above anything we have had for many a year”

You must have just been watching the tv replays of the misses mate. Diagne is the best forward of this type we have had since Rondon, for the monies quoted he is a bargain, but will he sign fo us?

A class above Gayle, JRod or Odemwinge?  I think not!

I’ve watched every game for the whole 90 plus mins and watched in despair when Diagne missed sitters, air shot or shot straight at the keeper and constantly offside.

Don’t get what people see in him.

I just hope we don’t waste the money quoted for him or he doesn’t want to sign for us.

Taxi or bus fare for Diagne I say!

West Brom 2023/24

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #546 on: May 06, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »
Odemwingie left 7 years ago.

Diagne is at least on a par with the other two you've mentioned. Only Rondon really compares quality wise (along with 12 months from Saido) since PO and Lukaku...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #547 on: May 06, 2021, 06:49:11 PM »
Diagne is probably a decent option in the Championship. However £8m and a big wage absolutely won't be remotely like good value nor is there a market for a 31 year old Diagne (by now a Championship striker) that will stretch to £5m. The market is polarising the elite bubble carries on it's own sweet way and anything that is not got a direct line to that bubble will be a no fee zone.

Diagne is a lot closer to being in in the "rest" rather than the elite.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #548 on: May 06, 2021, 07:55:00 PM »
Diagne is probably a decent option in the Championship. However £8m and a big wage absolutely won't be remotely like good value nor is there a market for a 31 year old Diagne (by now a Championship striker) that will stretch to £5m. The market is polarising the elite bubble carries on it's own sweet way and anything that is not got a direct line to that bubble will be a no fee zone.

Diagne is a lot closer to being in in the "rest" rather than the elite.
[/b]

So are we Sir! Unfortunately So are we!

All you say is true, but where will we find cheaper and/or better option for next season? If they are not a lot better then they have to be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Hopefully over time we do find another younger Odemwingie or Gayle, of our own who will stay long enough to get us goals in the greed league for a season or two before moving on. I just do not see any prospect of this happening at the moment nor at any time in the short to medium term.

As I believe has been mentioned  before, his true value depends on the actual monies paid out and how any deal is structured. If we do  manage to get a couple of good seasons out of him, which might well be possible, and this gives us the time to develop or find a better option then the Diagne costs could be vectored in to any resale value of the better option at a later date. But I will not be straying too far from my oxygen supply waiting for this scenario to play out.

However it's all a bit pie in the sky, and I doubt very much that he will be playing for us next season anyway.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:05:13 PM by wodenson46 »

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #549 on: May 06, 2021, 08:17:55 PM »
A class above Gayle, JRod or Odemwinge?  I think not!

I’ve watched every game for the whole 90 plus mins and watched in despair when Diagne missed sitters, air shot or shot straight at the keeper and constantly offside.

Don’t get what people see in him.

I just hope we don’t waste the money quoted for him or he doesn’t want to sign for us.

Taxi or bus fare for Diagne I say!

None of these played the same role as Diagne.  The played in a different team set up and usually had more options around them.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:20:06 PM by wodenson46 »