Author Topic: Ex Players Thread  (Read 425169 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ex Players Thread
« Reply #1400 on: April 25, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »
I'd imagine he'd be like Carson, only really there to add to their home grown quota and train with Ederson. Do they have a legitimate 2nd choice?
so they want someone just to train and not play and their solution is to buy a player who hates training and has special sessions to do it as little as possible while freely admitting hes only still in the game because he enjoys playing in matches so much... genius move by City if true.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1401 on: April 25, 2021, 12:33:12 PM »
I'm available.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1402 on: April 25, 2021, 04:56:39 PM »
Chris Wood - can someone remind me who let him go and why?  >:(
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1403 on: April 25, 2021, 05:03:53 PM »

Long while ago, Hodgson or RDM without looking. We were in the PL with Odemwingie, Fortune, Long etc. We sold him to a League One club.

No way he would be the same player if we'd have kept him for our stiffs as opposedto him working through the leagues. Not one we can really blame the club for. We didn't need him until 2 years ago I'd argue.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1404 on: April 25, 2021, 05:08:35 PM »
Long while ago, Hodgson or RDM without looking. We were in the PL with Odemwingie, Fortune, Long etc. We sold him to a League One club.

No way he would be the same player if we'd have kept him for our stiffs as opposedto him working through the leagues. Not one we can really blame the club for. We didn't need him until 2 years ago I'd argue.
Agreed , great credit to him for wanting to leave and improve . I'd have been trying to sign him in the Summer .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1405 on: April 25, 2021, 05:24:47 PM »

He was offered a contract on improved terms with a view to development via loans. He didn't want any more loans and refused the new contract. Fair play to him for backing himself in the long term, but in the short to medium he wasn't at the level required for where we were. The fact he spent several seasons in the lower echelons examples this. Pity as I rated him but it was his choice to leave.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1407 on: May 30, 2021, 04:09:17 PM »
One of my alltime favourite players was Simon Garner. He was strong at holding onto the ball and a prolific goalscorer, infact the record all-time Blackburn Rovers scorer. I thought we got rid of him much too soon, although he came to my local club Wycombe Wanderers so I still saw a fair amount of him. He seemed quite a 'character' with a well-publicised liking for beer, cigarettes and women, and had a brief period behind bars! 

I just came across his twitter account, and although he is most proud of being the record Blackburn Rovers scorer, he seems to have fond memories of his time at West Brom as he frequently tweeted his hopes that we (and Wycombe) could avoid relegation. 

https://twitter.com/simongarner10?lang=en
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1408 on: May 30, 2021, 05:05:34 PM »
One of my alltime favourite players was Simon Garner. He was strong at holding onto the ball and a prolific goalscorer, infact the record all-time Blackburn Rovers scorer. I thought we got rid of him much too soon, although he came to my local club Wycombe Wanderers so I still saw a fair amount of him. He seemed quite a 'character' with a well-publicised liking for beer, cigarettes and women, and had a brief period behind bars! 

I just came across his twitter account, and although he is most proud of being the record Blackburn Rovers scorer, he seems to have fond memories of his time at West Brom as he frequently tweeted his hopes that we (and Wycombe) could avoid relegation. 

He was finished by the time he came to Albion. Still looked the part in a poor team though.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1409 on: May 30, 2021, 05:07:48 PM »
Character. Wouldn't mind having a few beers and a chat with him, so long as he was paying of course  ;D .

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1410 on: May 30, 2021, 05:18:45 PM »
He was finished by the time he came to Albion. Still looked the part in a poor team though.
Finished in the sense of being able to compete in a top team, but still one of the best Albion players from that period. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1411 on: May 30, 2021, 07:25:05 PM »
Finished in the sense of being able to compete in a top team, but still one of the best Albion players from that period.
was he? Better than Andy Hunt and Bob Taylor? He only played 33 games for the Albion.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1412 on: May 30, 2021, 08:14:03 PM »
was he? Better than Andy Hunt and Bob Taylor? He only played 33 games for the Albion.
All slightly different players, but what I liked about Garner was his ability to hold onto and run with the ball under pressure. Something I don't think any of our strikers last season could do. As I said, he should have been at the Albion much longer.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1413 on: May 30, 2021, 08:33:49 PM »

No he wasn't great, Blackburn wouldn't have let him go if he was. Not entirely sure if Alex is misremembering the player.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1414 on: May 30, 2021, 11:27:55 PM »
No he wasn't great, Blackburn wouldn't have let him go if he was. Not entirely sure if Alex is misremembering the player.

No I remember him well and probably saw more of him than most Albion fans, as he played longer at my hometown club Wycombe.  All I'm saying is, when I think of the Albion strikers I've seen, I think he was undervalued and the club could and should have got more out of him.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1415 on: May 31, 2021, 06:06:34 PM »
Just out of interest what level of football were Wycombe playing at the time Blackburn's (then) modern day goalscoring hero rocked up?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1416 on: May 31, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »
No I remember him well and probably saw more of him than most Albion fans, as he played longer at my hometown club Wycombe.  All I'm saying is, when I think of the Albion strikers I've seen, I think he was undervalued and the club could and should have got more out of him.

With all due respect mate these appear to be some very rose-tinted lenses you're looking through  ;D.

He was overweight and lethargic during his time at the Albion. Decent-ish cover for Hunt and Taylor considering the level we were at (3rd tier) but nothing more.

Wycombe were plying their trade in the 3rd tier also when under O'Neill, Garner partnered 36 year old Cyrille Regis upfront. Must have been quite something, and can see why you're enamoured.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1417 on: May 31, 2021, 09:30:55 PM »
I remember Simon Garner and he was rubbish for us at our crappest time. No ideas about his character or whatever i would have been 11 or 12 but as a player i don't have fond memories. In fairness could say that about nearly everyone back then. Dark dark days.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1418 on: May 31, 2021, 09:48:00 PM »

Despite what others think, I appreciate your personal thoughts on an Albion player. I remember him as a trier.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1419 on: June 02, 2021, 10:15:26 AM »
Beers with garner and Andy Johnson that sounds like a night (and day likely) which can't be remembered!

I'd liken his period with us to that of John Hartson, but at a level lower.  (very different players though)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1420 on: June 04, 2021, 09:15:09 PM »
Izzy Brown has been released  :-X

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1421 on: June 04, 2021, 09:54:28 PM »
Izzy Brown has been released  :-X
Must admit I thought he was on for a big career. Just goes to show that early promise isn’t always an indication. We go on about the strength of our academy but how many players have we actually produced that have left us to go on to bigger things? I’m struggling to think of many - Chris Woods perhaps but he had to step backwards before progressing.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1422 on: June 04, 2021, 10:24:49 PM »
Still young enough his career into a decent one but doubtful he will fulfill his full potential

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1423 on: June 04, 2021, 10:35:39 PM »
Still young enough his career into a decent one but doubtful he will fulfill his full potential
Done well out of the game financially whether or not he plays at the top level. Wasn’t there rumours of a £1m signing on fee from Chelsea? Can’t be many professions where you can get rewarded like that for very little!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1424 on: June 04, 2021, 11:14:23 PM »
Done well out of the game financially whether or not he plays at the top level. Wasn’t there rumours of a £1m signing on fee from Chelsea? Can’t be many professions where you can get rewarded like that for very little!

Football is a backwards world mate yet we still love it!