Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD  (Read 1311142 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD
« Reply #6175 on: June 04, 2021, 02:35:31 PM »
Aren't you pleased that we gave Toney the swerve and bought a player for 3 times the amount?
Entirely predictable that Toney could step up and someone on here did predict it! Oh yeah, it was me 😊
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6176 on: June 04, 2021, 02:43:42 PM »
Entirely predictable that Toney could step up and someone on here did predict it! Oh yeah, it was me 😊

I am actually looking forward to see how he does. Good footballer, great kid and should have been paying for us.....

If only the club would read this board, they might get some ideas  ;D 
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6177 on: June 15, 2021, 11:44:34 AM »
John Percy Tweeted

Scott Parker is set to leave #FulhamFC this week, with talks ongoing. Bournemouth are keeping a close eye on the situation #afcb. Story with
@JBurtTelegraph
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6178 on: June 15, 2021, 12:17:26 PM »
John Percy Tweeted

Scott Parker is set to leave #FulhamFC this week, with talks ongoing. Bournemouth are keeping a close eye on the situation #afcb. Story with
@JBurtTelegraph

Still seems a very odd move this.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6179 on: June 16, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »
A few clubs in the Championship to keep an eye on, with them getting their business done very early.

QPR have just completed their 5th signing of the summer with former England youth prospect Andre Dozzell. They are probably the side most likely to emerge from the pack to threaten promotion.

Luton Town have just completed their 3rd signing with highly rated Motherwell youngster Allan Campbell. I think Luton are trying to go the way of Barnsley and Brentford having hired Jay Socik who was well respected amongst the online football analytics community.

Of the rest Huddersfield have so far made 5 signings, while Blackpool have 3. Promotion rivals Barnsley have 2.

Expect to see a few teams getting things done early this month now everything is starting to move.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:40:19 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6180 on: June 16, 2021, 12:40:54 PM »
A few clubs in the Championship to keep an eye on, with them getting their business dine very early.

QPR have just completed their 5th signing of the summer with former England youth prospect Andre Dozzell. They are probably the side most likely to emerge from the pack to threaten promotion.

Luton Town have just completed their 3rd signing with highly rated Motherwell youngster Allan Campbell. I think Luton are trying to go the way of Barnsley and Brentford having hired Jay Socik who was well respected amongst the online football analytics community.

Of the rest Huddersfield have so far made 5 signings, while Blackpool have 3. Promotion rivals Barnsley have 2.

Expect to see a few teams getting things done early this month now everything is starting to move.

We shall go to the table for the scraps with a begging bowl. This is Albion! The board changes, but the mindset remains.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6181 on: June 16, 2021, 01:50:54 PM »
A few clubs in the Championship to keep an eye on, with them getting their business dine very early.

Most are free agents or players who were already lined up. Most have released as many as they have signed.

I never get the fetish about doing business early because it really doesn't matter when you sign Jordan Rhodes or Devante Cole (okay hostage to fortune right there and I'm going against the much vaunted Barnsley analytics machine) they are still basically useless.

Right now nothing stands out as a coup Alan Campbell to Luton looks like a good pick up on a free but I absolutely guarantee that we done that very same deal the club would be being lambasted right now for being cheap etc...

Without a Dof or Head Coach it is virtually impossible to go into the market in any event although someone like Campbell has enough versatility really to slot into any midfield set up we go with. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6182 on: June 17, 2021, 04:19:17 PM »
I think there's something to be said for getting your business done early, although it's possibly a bit of a basic metric. I've read the writings of a few directors of football who say it can be the sign of an organised, well run club who have planned ahead. Players get more time to integrate and you aren't forced into last minute panic buys.

(Broken record alert) - when Ashworth was here, our business never went into the final few days, with nearly everything done atleast a week in advance unless something special came along. That changed as soon as he left with panic buys like Sessegnon and Anichebe.

It's no guarantee,  Stoke did it a few years ago and were battling relegation within a few months, but it does suggest more planning having been put in place.

Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6183 on: June 18, 2021, 01:53:28 PM »
Cameron Jerome and Henri Pansbury sign for Luton Town. Jerome feels an odd signing at 34.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6184 on: June 19, 2021, 12:50:38 PM »
Just watched our 4-1 win over Leeds in 2018 on Sky Sports Football. For my money the best performance since Moore took us down (edges the Swansea and Chelsea wins due to quality of opposition and no red card respectively). Hard to believe it was nearly 3 years ago.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6185 on: June 19, 2021, 05:37:57 PM »
Matty Phillips was sensational that day
Boing Boing

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6186 on: June 19, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »
Cameron Jerome and Henri Pansbury sign for Luton Town. Jerome feels an odd signing at 34.
Luton have lost Collins to striker so guess Jeromes a short term replacement
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6187 on: June 22, 2021, 04:08:16 PM »
Stoke selling defender Nathan Collins to Burnley for £12m and replacing him with Watford’s Ben Wilson for £1.5m feels like really smart business.

Also probably ends Burnley’s interest in Bartley which is a shame.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6188 on: June 22, 2021, 05:42:25 PM »
Izzy Brown signs for Preston on a 1 year deal only. Oh dear. Does have a 1 year option though.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6189 on: June 22, 2021, 06:01:17 PM »
Just watched our 4-1 win over Leeds in 2018 on Sky Sports Football. For my money the best performance since Moore took us down (edges the Swansea and Chelsea wins due to quality of opposition and no red card respectively). Hard to believe it was nearly 3 years ago.

What an evening that was!

The atmosphere was terrific too. Remember some of the younger lads jubilantly chucking beer everywhere in Brummie Road at half time 🥳

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6190 on: June 22, 2021, 06:19:10 PM »
Izzy Brown signs for Preston on a 1 year deal only. Oh dear. Does have a 1 year option though.

My starting position is "see, should have stayed at Albion", but then you consider the struggles he has had at his last 4 clubs and yet at 24 going on 25, he will still get a 5th chance at Championship level.

Rekeem Harper is about to drop down to League 1.

You can fail down to the championship if you fail at Chelsea - you can't do that so easily at West Brom.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:34:06 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6191 on: June 22, 2021, 06:27:55 PM »
My starting position is "see, should have stayed at Albion", but then you consider the struggles he has had at his last 4 clubs and yet at 24 going on 25, he will still get a 5th chance at Championship level.

Redeem Harper is about to drop down to League 1.

You can fail down to the championship if you fail at Chelsea - you can't do that so easily at West Brom.

Brown was a lot more highly thought of though than i recall Harper ever being. He made the call to be fair and i won't hate the kid for it. He's not the first young lad to have his head turned and definitely won't be the last.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #6192 on: June 22, 2021, 07:57:04 PM »
Think people being harsh on Brown to be honest, as much as he's hated for leaving most of us would have done the same. His career has stalled due to injuries more than lack of talent.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6193 on: June 22, 2021, 08:00:41 PM »
It does seem to have been a big factor yeah. He was going really well at Huddersfield prior to the injuries.
Boing Boing

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6194 on: June 23, 2021, 02:24:52 PM »

It was a superb performance, the best I think Robson-Kanu ever played for us although everyone played well that night. I loved Gayle's cheeky back heel after coming of the bench.
It felt even more special as it was just after a terrible 1-0 defeat at Hull.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6195 on: June 23, 2021, 02:32:17 PM »
As the fixtures are due to be released tomorrow, who do you want as our season opener?

I'd like any of the Yorkshire based teams away (yes I know I'm selfish). Should we appoint Ismael and then get Barnsley up first I can see that being picked as the Friday live match on Sky.

There's going to be a lot of our games moved for TV, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 02:35:46 PM by Hull Baggie »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6196 on: June 24, 2021, 12:36:48 AM »
Tweet from Henry Winter of the Times

EFL “has developed an interchangeable fixture list for Derby and Wycombe while disciplinary process is finalised”. Derby fined £100,000 over amortisation of player registrations and ordered to file restated accounts for financial years ending 30 June 2016, 2017 and 2018. FFP.

This is potentially huge Derby facing the real prospect of a points deduction and relegation because of a FFP breach. Derby are an absolute mess. I have lost track of the various strands to this story but at every turn they have acted in the utmost of bad faith and deserve everything that comes their way. 

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6197 on: June 24, 2021, 06:31:31 AM »
Just saw the EFL statement - incredible. The powers that be in the EFL really want to relegate them, you can see that. How quickly can they assess Derby's account submissions though? Especially given Derby's right to appeal.

Can they get the appeal out of the way, can Derby submit years worth of accounts, the EFL review them and then make a decision on relegating Derby all in the space of a few weeks? Seems really tight, I just don't see how they can.

Wouldn't be shocked if Derby get a big points deduction this season instead.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 06:56:21 AM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6198 on: June 24, 2021, 08:36:53 AM »
Just saw the EFL statement - incredible. The powers that be in the EFL really want to relegate them, you can see that. How quickly can they assess Derby's account submissions though? Especially given Derby's right to appeal.

Can they get the appeal out of the way, can Derby submit years worth of accounts, the EFL review them and then make a decision on relegating Derby all in the space of a few weeks? Seems really tight, I just don't see how they can.

Wouldn't be shocked if Derby get a big points deduction this season instead.

Like I said there are many strands to this story and I have lost track but this is an appeal and I think on this issue Derby have run out of road. In accounting terms it is not going to take very long to restate the accounts and as part of the process they have been examined in forensic detail, I suspect the EFL know the answer.

There are other issues bubbling in the back ground e.g. late submission of accounts and non payment of players etc....

It is not just the EFL management that are out for Derby's blood it is also the other EFL clubs because without their support the EFL board could not pursue the case. It would have been quietly dropped a year ago were it not for the other clubs sanctioning of the appeal.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6199 on: June 24, 2021, 10:19:01 AM »
Surely all this is doing is making a mess of Wycombe's planning and budgets for the forthcoming season. Certainty required from an absolutely useless organisation.