Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 292243 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #1150 on: September 23, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »
Just looked at Scott Dobie's league scoring stats. No goals in his first four games and then seven in six appearances followed by a barren spell. Remember SGM saying the only thing holding him back from being a top striker was self belief. Hitting seven goals in six games and still lacking self belief highlights how fragile confidence can be.

He’s a police officer in a nuclear power plant now. He was drafted in from up north to work in the bull ring after the London Terror attacks a few years ago.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1151 on: September 23, 2021, 08:13:42 PM »
On a sort of related subject, can anyone think of a player we've had in recent years who has had a terrible first 12 months at the club, and then come back and hit some real form?

I think the most obvious example is around 18 years ago with Ronnie Wallwork (although he only had 1 good season). Andy Johnson was very average in his first half a season as well before becoming more of a central figure.

As for strikers, maybe Diomansy Kamara?
Boing Boing

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1152 on: September 23, 2021, 08:41:47 PM »
I think the most obvious example is around 18 years ago with Ronnie Wallwork (although he only had 1 good season). Andy Johnson was very average in his first half a season as well before becoming more of a central figure.

As for strikers, maybe Diomansy Kamara?

Johny Kaye
Came from Scunthorpe as a Centre forward - can’t remember which manager, reverted him to a defensive half back ( I think it may have been Alan Ashman?)Was in the original 1966 World Cup squad.

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1153 on: September 24, 2021, 12:51:10 AM »
Karlan Grant will never reach the level of Kamara . If he was going to be a regular goalscorer for us , we would have seen a glimpse of it by now . We haven’t and I think we will have to admit that yet again we’ve signed a striker who won’t deliver the expected goals .

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1154 on: September 24, 2021, 08:10:42 AM »
Karlan Grant will never reach the level of Kamara . If he was going to be a regular goalscorer for us , we would have seen a glimpse of it by now . We haven’t and I think we will have to admit that yet again we’ve signed a striker who won’t deliver the expected goals .

Unfortunately I think you are right. Kamara had genuine pace and was a quality finisher especially in one on one situations.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1155 on: September 24, 2021, 09:20:43 PM »
He is an atrocious player. One of the worst signings we've ever made, if not the worst.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1156 on: September 24, 2021, 09:22:29 PM »
What on earth did Bilic see him in for 16m?!!?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1157 on: September 24, 2021, 09:47:59 PM »
I was wrong about him!  ;D

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1158 on: September 24, 2021, 10:10:34 PM »
He is an atrocious player. One of the worst signings we've ever made, if not the worst.

delete, delete. delete !!!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1159 on: September 24, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »

You never saw Paul Williams then  :D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1160 on: September 24, 2021, 10:12:58 PM »

You never could judge a player  ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1161 on: September 24, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »
The lad is terrible regardless of the goal tonight (he's not getting that first one). I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but we all know he isn't good enough.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1162 on: September 24, 2021, 10:19:46 PM »
I am pleased for him, hope the confidence of the goal lifts him up.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1163 on: September 24, 2021, 10:23:19 PM »
The lad is terrible regardless of the goal tonight (he's not getting that first one). I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but we all know he isn't good enough.

He will get the 1st one, it was a shot on target that went in.

He looks like a confidence player, those goals will do his confidence the world of good
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1164 on: September 24, 2021, 10:26:45 PM »
Well done Lad now prove your doubters wrong of which one is me.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1165 on: September 24, 2021, 10:34:20 PM »
I agree with you paulo

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1166 on: September 24, 2021, 10:34:33 PM »
You never could judge a player  ;)
But if Johnstone had conceded that first goal in such a manner, I don't think you'd be putting it down to the shooting technique of the scorer. Just saying!   ;)
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1167 on: September 24, 2021, 10:35:04 PM »
He'd not terrible, he may not be good enough for the Prem in the end, but that's not the same thing.  What I don't like is he has started to do the Chris Brunt stop and wave your arms about thing a bit when a pass goes awry.  Have a word, Val.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1168 on: September 24, 2021, 10:43:11 PM »
But if Johnstone had conceded that first goal in such a manner, I don't think you'd be putting it down to the shooting technique of the scorer. Just saying!   ;)

Johnstone had already gifted a goal, again glossed over because we won. Don't think it's in doubt Dieng has the better upside of the two...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1169 on: September 25, 2021, 09:00:53 AM »
I am revising my estimate of KG's output this season from 15 to 20.  ;D

He will benefit from being played regularly.

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1170 on: September 25, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
I am revising my estimate of KG's output this season from 15 to 20.  ;D

He will benefit from being played regularly.

Finish for second was top quality.  One touch away from defender and bottom corner.   

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1171 on: September 25, 2021, 10:29:59 AM »
Johnstone had already gifted a goal, again glossed over because we won. Don't think it's in doubt Dieng has the better upside of the two...

That goal was gifted by the defender who was comprehensively beaten.  Also a I thought Gray was offside - would have been captured by VAR.  This season SJ is instructed to go out and clear; that's what he tried to do - entire back line caught on the hop.  It has happened with this system and probably will do again.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

AbbeymeadBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1172 on: September 25, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
Furlong was appealing for offside but Ajayi didn't.
Also, sky has his name as K Ahearne-Grant - not noticed that before

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1173 on: September 25, 2021, 11:11:10 AM »
That goal was gifted by the defender who was comprehensively beaten.  Also a I thought Gray was offside - would have been captured by VAR.  This season SJ is instructed to go out and clear; that's what he tried to do - entire back line caught on the hop.  It has happened with this system and probably will do again.

It was clearly onside.  Bartley mistimes his attempt to play offside.  It took far too long for SJ to realise he won't get there in time.  If he drops back onto his line they don't score there. 

Brunt in the post match said that Gray may have got a touch on the ball that took the pace off it which caught SJ out.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1174 on: September 25, 2021, 11:45:21 AM »

Brunt in the post match said that Gray may have got a touch on the ball that took the pace off it which caught SJ out.
Brunt is correct have just said this on another thread it hits Gray somewhere between knee and backside either brilliant control or very lucky it certainly slowed the ball
Baggie for life not just for Xmas