Author Topic: West Brom's Ultimate Legend  (Read 12070 times)

enzo maresca

• Junior Baggie

Re: West Brom's Ultimate Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »
Bomber for me a real legend
Zigga Zagga

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »
Astle
Brown
Regis
Robson
Taylor
Allen

James Quinn  :D
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
 ;D  Hard one to pick but I will give a top 5 with my preferences.

1.  The King
   2.  Bomber
   3.  Bobby Hope
   4.  Ronnie Allen
   5.  Cyrille Regis.

Others worth a place Cunningham,John Kaye,Superbob,Ray Barlow,John Osborne.Darren Moore.
To be fair I didnt see the players pre 1960s. so difficult to assess.

DownInAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 03:11:07 AM »
I recognise and acknowledge all bomber did for this club but as never getting the oppurtinity to see him play i cant nominate him.
so for me its bob taylor scored the first goal i ever saw at the hawthorns and made me fall in love with this club straight away.
when it comes to legends its all subjective in my opinion.....

jsam

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 07:53:05 AM »
Given our history, I think it has to be Billy Bassett. Jeff Astle second, Ray Barlow third, Bomber Brown fourth and Ronnie Allen fifth.
Remember the past - learn from it

The Gaffer

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 09:36:19 AM »
Tony "Bomber" Brown, definitely.

AuxerreAlbion

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
Ronnie Allen scored loads, managed  and signed Regis. He was involved with the club, helping out with coaching, scouting, the kit and anything else needed until the end of his days.
He's my dad's vote but I can't see past Tony Brown.
Pennington, Bassett, W.G. Richardson, Astle, John Wile, Derek Kevan, .....

Many modern day players have given great service to our great club, but true legends gave so much more, within succesful teams.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
1 - Tony Brown
2 - Ronnie Allen
3 - Jeff Astle
4 - Bobby Hope
5 - John Wile
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
1. Ronnie Allen
2. Tony Brown
3. Jeff Astle
4. Ali Brown (so underrated)
5. Keith Curle

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »
Absolutely agree with most on this thread, Tony Brown was & always will be a TRUE LEGEND of West Bromwich Albion, his contribution to the club is immeasurable, goals, appearances, etc.. he is to this day a brilliant ambassador for the Albion, a club he played for all his career & his love for us still shines through whenever he's interviewed or doing his regular radio commentary.

I grew up watching the team in the very late 60's & the 70's, so a special mention to The King, Cyrille, Robbo, Wile & coming more up to date Super Bobby Taylor & Big Dave.

There are a couple of the current crop with the potential to become legends, time will tell.   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

albion61

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »
ASTLE for me just because he not only set club records but football in general records
his 174 goals for the Baggies, the most notable was probably the only goal in the 1968 FA Cup final, with which he completed the feat of scoring in every round of the competition.
Two years later, Astle scored in Albion's 2-1 defeat by Manchester City in the League Cup final, becoming the first player to score in the finals of both of the major English cup competitions at Wembley. He had already scored in the first leg of the 1966 League Cup Final four years previously, however that was at West Ham United's Boleyn Ground.

Closely Followed by Bomber Brown
Anthony 'Tony' Brown (born 3 October 1945 in Oldham, Lancashire) is an English former footballer who played as a wing half and an inside forward. He was often referred to by his nickname Bomber or Bomber Brown and was known for his spectacular goals. He joined West Bromwich Albion as a youth in 1961 and turned professional in 1963. In the late 1960s and early 1970s Brown was part of an Albion team that built a reputation as a successful cup side, winning the 1966 Football League Cup Final and the 1968 FA Cup Final and finishing as runners-up in the League Cup in 1967 and 1970. He was the top scorer in Division One in 1970–71 and received his only England cap at the end of that season.
After relegation in 1973, he helped Albion to win promotion back to Division One in 1976. He scored 279 goals in 720 competitive games for Albion, both club records

Cunningham
Born in Archway, London, Cunningham started in schoolboy football and was turned down by Arsenal before joining Leyton Orient in 1974.[1] He joined West Bromwich Albion in 1977, where, under manager Johnny Giles, he teamed up with another black player, Cyrille Regis, and the following year (under Ron Atkinson) with Brendon Batson. This was the first time an English team simultaneously fielded three black players, and Atkinson collectively referred to Cunningham, Batson and Regis as 'The Three Degrees' after the legendary U.S. soul singing trio.[1]
West Bromwich Albion became one of the most attractive and exciting English sides in the late 1970s and Cunningham soon attracted attention. He became the first black player to wear an England shirt at any level[2] in England under-21s' friendly against Scotland at Bramall Lane on 27 April 1977, scoring on his debut. He subsequently earned a full England cap, making his debut against Wales in a Home International on 23 May 1979. Although Viv Anderson had made his England debut in a friendly six months previously and thus was the first black player to play for the senior England team, Cunningham was the first black player to play in a competitive England match. In June 1979, Cunningham gained his 2nd and 3rd caps, against Sweden and Austria respectively.
In the summer of 1979 he made a historic move as the first British player to transfer to Real Madrid, for £950,000.[1]
Allen
Starting his career in 1946 with Port Vale, he spent four years with the club, before making a record breaking transfer to West Bromwich Albion. He was one of the best strikers of the 1950s, playing over 400 games, with a ratio of a goal every two games. He lifted the FA Cup in 1954, and helped the club to the FA Charity Shield in 1954, and a second place finish in the First Division in 1953–54

southend baggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
there are probably half a dozen genuine contenders but for me it has to be tony bomber brown :)

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »
My own 'legends' that I have watched over the years (I am 35)

Bob Taylor
Darren Moore
Darren Bradley (That goal!)
Sean Flynn (just for his press ups!)

Club Legends have to be Bomber and The King really dont they.

12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »
the ones before my lifetime i would suggest due to commitment to the club: the bomber mr wba himself.

id like to see the likes of morrison and brunt do their 10 year plus career stint here, as we have taken to raw young players and turned them into very capable premier league players
O Albion we love you

The Gaffer

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
the ones before my lifetime i would suggest due to commitment to the club: the bomber mr wba himself.

id like to see the likes of morrison and brunt do their 10 year plus career stint here, as we have taken to raw young players and turned them into very capable premier league players

No offence mate but Brunt could do 30 years here and he wouldn't be a legend he's just not good enough. The same for Bob Taylor / Darren Moore, they are lower league players. West Bromwich Albion as a club historically is far better than that.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 01:14:41 PM »
Great thread this. In my youth I read anything I could about Albion, and the names of Basset and Pennington kept on coming up. What about though, Ray Barlow, a giant of a player, W.G. Richardson, a great goal scorer, and my late father loved Len Millard as a fantastic captain.

In my time, the usual suspects, the King and the Bomber, but I'd also offer Bobby Hope, our youngest ever player and now still working for the club as a scout all these years later. The again what about Ossie (Osborne, not Ardilles), arguably our best ever goalkeeper and a tremendous character who really connected with the supporters.

From the 70s and 80s, Laurie, Cyrille, Allie Rob...the list is potentially endless and I couldn't choose.

Just a thought though, the title doesn't say it has to be a player. So, what about the bloke who has done great work steadying the ship, built a system that others envy and try to copy, made us financially stable and taken us from strength to strength over he last ten years or so?

I give you the legend that is Mr Jeremy Peace.  :)
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »

No offence mate but Brunt could do 30 years here and he wouldn't be a legend he's just not good enough. The same for Bob Taylor / Darren Moore, they are lower league players. West Bromwich Albion as a club historically is far better than that.
Historically in my time we was a lower league club, and the players that stood out for me as real players who played for the badge and still have an affinity with the club are Taylor/ Moore hence why they are legends to me, there are many definitions of a legend and obviously they do not tick every box but to me they stand out in my era.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »
I think to term someone a legend you have to look back on their career with the club and then see what impact they have had in their time here.

Billy Bassett - Player, manager, Chairman connected with the club for I think over 50 years

Tony Brown - broke all records which will never be beaten

Can any player in the past 20 years or so come close to anything near to those achievements and be classed as a legend.

Legend is a term banded about way to easy these days. Heroes and legends two vastly different things.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bromsgrovethrostle

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 04:09:40 PM »
Brown for me (Tony) but having said that Ali wasnt bad either.

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 05:22:04 PM »
Tony Brown for sure!! So many other names come close but appearances and records it has to be him!!

btbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
Astle for me, loved the club as much as any of us, used to attend all the games until he became to ill.

mutchisman

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
I appreciate why so many are going for Bomber but it's got to be Jeff Astle for me.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »
If you mean a player it is either Bomber, Pennington or Astle,

If you mean true club legend full stop it has to be Fred Everiss followed by Billy Bassett.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
TONY BROWN....................no one else comes close.

Name a record at the Albion and chances are TB holds that record.

Enough said !
He's a lad from the Wrenna

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
Bomber, Astle, Regis all true legends but theres another one(i dont think anybody has mentioned him)
Gary Megson, if it wasnt for Megson we wouldnt be where we are today, he laid the foundations for our climb to the top flight, i even remember one of my mates laughing when Megson said his goal was to take Albion to the prem
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!