Author Topic: Valérien Ismaël leaves WBA  (Read 464015 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Valérien Ismaël - Head Coach
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »
Tweet from Steve Madeley: "Bit of clarity on a couple of things people have raised. Ismael will be bringing in backroom staff - announcements to follow. And Ismael's Covid quarantine will be completed in time for the start of pre-season training. #WBA"

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2021, 06:12:56 PM »
Not wanting to sound negative, but if someone did try to poach him before the 4 years, they would have to pay us compensation, but if we sacked him, we'd have to pay him off for the years on his contract?

Yes, that's how it works, big incentive for the club to give him time and having invested in buying him out of the contract we probably had to protect our position with a long contract.

We are in for the long haul here or it get's expensive very expensive.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2021, 06:22:06 PM »
Yes, that's how it works, big incentive for the club to give him time and having invested in buying him out of the contract we probably had to protect our position with a long contract.

We are in for the long haul here or it get's expensive very expensive.
Indeed. If you're prepared to pay £2m in compensation then you have to be willing to commit to a lengthy contract and give it time even if there are some dodgy periods. Fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride!

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2021, 06:22:17 PM »
To do list:
1) Offer Perreira a ridiculous promotion bonus to stay

2) Tell Sawyers to lose the chewing gum or find another club

3) Get 3 or 4 decent midfielders in

It's either going to be brilliant or complete disaster, can't see this being a boring season

I'm not sure that Ismael will want one player to be on extremely different terms than the rest as by the Times excerpt I posted above he seems to be team focussed.  Agree this will not be boring.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2021, 06:23:54 PM »
I don't want to get carried away but some of the names and the mess we have gone through as had me in despair, but I think this is a really good positive appointment, well done Ken now just back the man.
I feel like its Christmas.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2021, 06:29:41 PM »
Does any one know if he speaks good English because I like to hear the managers ideas and comments on a match whether I agree with them or not.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2021, 06:33:44 PM »
Pleased it has been done. Bit odd that he was given a 4 year deal. A 12 month rolling contract would have made more sense. From comments on OS sounds like Ken will be effectively running transfers / acting as DOF alongside him.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2021, 06:35:07 PM »
Does any one know if he speaks good English because I like to hear the managers ideas and comments on a match whether I agree with them or not.

From 38 seconds onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8fkGpJfZCA

Edit: Also, it'll be better than this now as he's been here for a year practicing
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2021, 06:36:53 PM »
Happy with the deal. Shows the club must be willing to back him in the market if they’ve given him 4 years.

Glad we have given someone a chance too.

If he signs Mowatt in the next week then thinks will start to look a lot better.

From being resigned to Wagner 2 weeks ago, I’m happy we’ve got Ismael .

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »
From 38 seconds onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8fkGpJfZCA

Edit: Also, it'll be better than this now as he's been here for a year practicing
Here's another interview from May this year, just after Barnsley's first play-off game against Swansea. He sounds a bit like Arsene Wenger, whose voice/accent I do quite like!

Youtube

For anyone who's unaware, Valérien is 6'3" and stocky - I'm sure few argue with him! On top of that his mother is an Alsation.......as in the Alsace region of France!  :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 06:53:57 PM by WorcsWBA »

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2021, 06:53:07 PM »
Great news, well done to all concerned. Welcome to our club.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2021, 06:53:52 PM »
Welcome to The Hawthorns Valérien Ismaël.
Reading his comments and his record as a coach, we can look forward to an exciting time.
Just hope he is backed properly by Lai and the board.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2021, 07:03:22 PM »
Welcome Valerien Ishmael now get Lai to release purse strings and get us back where we belong  ;D

letmereadposts

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2021, 07:24:27 PM »
Very pleased, delighted in fact. If it doesn't work out then so be it but at least the club have put foundations in for a long-term plan and acknowledged some of the mistakes of the past. Invest in permanent you g promising players with a Manager that is hungry with his best years ahead. Add some investment to the club Infrastructure wherever possible and that is all a club like ours can really do. If the leadership commit to this which seems to be the intent following today then I will not criticise the club at all if the project should fail.

It's been a huge few weeks for the club, and I  can't believe the luck we've had in losing Dowling followed by the appointment of a promising and hungry manager. Wagner would have been a collosal mistake and McInnes and Co were not the solutions. I feel similar to when Bilic took us on and at the time felt so very lucky Alex Bloody Neil had the cheek to turn us down. Its those types of Manager that turn fans away from a club. Whilst bosses such as Megson Moore Bilic and now hopefully Ismael get the fans proud and in stands each week.

I have been really disappointed at the standard of coverage on Albion. When the likes of Joe Masi defended Dowling it must only be because they were one of the few individuals that offered access and some (clearly limited) inside knowledge. Dowling has been awful and a truly mediocre professional. The club have got away with so much and the lack of scrutiny and quality in covering such an important period has remained ddisappointing from journalists with an actual brief to cover the Albion. When you have the likes of Goldberg and Lepkowski leading the narrative in their own voluntary time you just know standards have been low for too long. I can include fans such as myself when considering the lowering of expectations I have had on where the club could progress to. I have a feeling this Manager will expect more and not just from players but from senior management and possibly both the media and fans too.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2021, 07:24:46 PM »
Welcome to big Val, hopefully the club can target the right players to play his football.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »
Here's another interview from May this year, just after Barnsley's first play-off game against Swansea. He sounds a bit like Arsene Wenger, whose voice/accent I do quite like!

Youtube

For anyone who's unaware, Valérien is 6'3" and stocky - I'm sure few argue with him! On top of that his mother is an Alsation.......as in the Alsace region of France!  :D
Wenger comes from the Alsace region which would explain his accent.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2021, 07:47:54 PM »
Delighted we have a new manager and look as if we are going to try and give him the tools to do the job.
Really pleased with the appointment and the fact that the board seem to be looking forward.
Anybody know if he's bought his own back room staff with him?

It's been inferred during negotiations that he is bringing people with him - no names or confirmation as yet.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2021, 08:10:30 PM »
Have warmed to this over the last week or so.

However I watched the two play-off games and Barnsley were appalling.  Just basically hoofed the ball from the back to the front.   That won't wash with our purists unless of course we are top/2nd from early doors.

Mowatt looks a potentially good signing on a Bosman, having watched his highlights I was surprised how good he was, his dribbling and passing skills and weighs in with a few goals.

He generally plays a 3-4-3 without a specific defensive midfielder so I doubt we'll pursue Yokuslu now.

Johnstone or Palmer in goal. 

Ajayi - Bartley - O'Shea  with Kipre competing and maybe Bryan if he signs.

You would think Furlong/Townsend/Snodgrass and Phillips would compete for the two wide roles in the 4 with. 

We need to sign two central midfielders who are mobile.  So Mowatt if he signs and A N Other.  Maybe Hamer or Longstaff.  Can't see Livermore and Sawyers having the legs for Val.

Then we have Pereira if he stays (if not we'll need to replace him) Robinson, Grant, Diang and a new striker - maybe a Diagne type competing for the front 3. 

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2021, 08:18:15 PM »
Very exciting news!!
Welcome to the club Valerien...

Great to see such positivity in everything surrounding this - the length of deal, what sounds like a commitment to a playing style, and the general levels of support, including on here.

At last I'm really excited for the new season after months of blah.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2021, 08:21:03 PM »
Very pleased, delighted in fact. If it doesn't work out then so be it but at least the club have put foundations in for a long-term plan and acknowledged some of the mistakes of the past. Invest in permanent you g promising players with a Manager that is hungry with his best years ahead. Add some investment to the club Infrastructure wherever possible and that is all a club like ours can really do. If the leadership commit to this which seems to be the intent following today then I will not criticise the club at all if the project should fail.

It's been a huge few weeks for the club, and I  can't believe the luck we've had in losing Dowling followed by the appointment of a promising and hungry manager. Wagner would have been a collosal mistake and McInnes and Co were not the solutions. I feel similar to when Bilic took us on and at the time felt so very lucky Alex Bloody Neil had the cheek to turn us down. Its those types of Manager that turn fans away from a club. Whilst bosses such as Megson Moore Bilic and now hopefully Ismael get the fans proud and in stands each week.

I have been really disappointed at the standard of coverage on Albion. When the likes of Joe Masi defended Dowling it must only be because they were one of the few individuals that offered access and some (clearly limited) inside knowledge. Dowling has been awful and a truly mediocre professional. The club have got away with so much and the lack of scrutiny and quality in covering such an important period has remained ddisappointing from journalists with an actual brief to cover the Albion. When you have the likes of Goldberg and Lepkowski leading the narrative in their own voluntary time you just know standards have been low for too long. I can include fans such as myself when considering the lowering of expectations I have had on where the club could progress to. I have a feeling this Manager will expect more and not just from players but from senior management and possibly both the media and fans too.

No luck re Dowling and Ismael.  Leadership and decisiveness from Ken.  Long may it continue. 

I hope the project includes a 2nd tier on the Halfords! 

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2021, 08:49:43 PM »
I really don’t want to pour any cold water on some of the excited optimism - we deserve a bit of relief after the past 18 months of poor football and COVID.

After 50 years of watching I’ve seen a lot happen and dozens of managers (32 not counting caretakers and three people we appointed twice!), so forgive me for saying that I’d prefer to wait for the essential signings to give us a chance and the subsequent results before getting too excited about yet another new coach. It could all end in tears and statistically he’s extremely unlikely to see out a four year contract (even though I like the idea of some stability it will always depend on results. Lose too many games and he goes, whatever the contract).

I hope as much as everyone else he’s a huge success and the goodwill he brings lifts us all. It’s desperately needed. But I’m not getting carried away - I’ve been disappointed too often. At least it numbs some of the pain if you don’t expect quite so much. But there’s a massive amount to do - we got 26 points last season.

Good luck Valerian. I have a feeling you’ll need it. We all wish you well!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2021, 09:00:50 PM »

Ajayi - Bartley - O'Shea  with Kipre competing and maybe Bryan if he signs.

Joe Bryan? is he rumoured?

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2021, 09:11:55 PM »

Joe Bryan? is he rumoured?

Kean Bryan Sheffield United
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2021, 09:16:29 PM »
Kean Bryan Sheffield United

Ahhh, thank you Aztech!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2021, 09:18:59 PM »
It's been a fabulous couple of weeks for the club let's be honest. Dowling out the door was an enormous boon. Ken seems switched on and decisive and has made a very astute appointment and he's invested heavily in his man.

I never wanted Wilder, I was crestfallen by Wagner and with LD in situ fully expected a Neil or McInnes as fallback. That would have set us back years imo.

I'm a very happy Baggie 😊
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.