Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 487456 times)

mig

• Junior Baggie

Re: Matheus Pereira
« Reply #2875 on: August 05, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
With MP locked in a 3 year contract we had all the cards to sell him for £30m or keep him for 12 months. If we have let our prize asset go for a fraction of that then the blame is entirely on the board.

Contractually we hold the cards, but financially we don't.

If he doesn't play for us for 12 months, his value could well end up being lower than what Al-Hilal are paying now...especially if we don't get promoted. Think of what we turned down for Berahino from Spurs and then ultimately what we ended up getting for him - I think in the end it was half of what we'd turned down a year before.

The frustrating thing is Al-Hilal can clearly afford to pay more but without a bidding war it's difficult to drive up the price. Pereira's statement massively weakened our hand in this respect, plus it's common knowledge we aren't in a great position financially anyway - both of these things have played into the buyer's hands.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2876 on: August 05, 2021, 01:45:03 PM »
Think he'll be back in Europe again before too long. He may just want to save enough first, whilst biding his time waiting for a decent PL club offer.
Won't help us though.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2877 on: August 05, 2021, 02:38:36 PM »
I do think if it's around the £17m-£18m being banded about then it's under the value that you'd be wanting for him under more favourable circumstances, But Anyone who still thinks we could get £30m+ for him in the current post-covid market is deluded.

I think £25m was the upper limit we might have got for him, anything above £20m is about right, HOWEVER that was before he threw his toys out the pram after Valerian's comments - After that the execs will have just gone "ffs, just accept a decent-ish offer" otherwise we'd just miss out totally on cashing in on a player AGAIN before losing them for tuppence or on a free later down the line.

The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2878 on: August 05, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
Where has the 17 million come from? Reliable journalist, or the usual dross off bored people on twittah?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2879 on: August 05, 2021, 03:18:02 PM »
Excellent post here from another forum:

Laughing at the comments saying WBA have f***** up here!

No they havent.

You can only sell to a buyer and they generally will only pay what they want to pay. A player is worth what a buyer values them at.

Those slating the club….. again…..

Ask yourself these questions:

Why were sporting happy to sell for pennies (in reality) - £8m
Why were WBA the only club willing to pay the £8m but only 12 months down the line IF we went up?
Why were other clubs not interested in taking him after a decent season in the Bundesliga?
Why were no other clubs interested in MP after a very good season in the premier league?

People in Football circles talk to each other - make no mistake.  We took a gamble on him knowing that it was a minimal fee in relative terms offset against £8.7m transfer fee 12 months down the line. 

We went up so another £4.5m top up to reach the £8.7m fee was easily done with promotion.

We earned circa £100m as a club getting promoted and with that secured the future of the club for a number of years, covered the losses of covid and are now on a sound financial footing.

1 year later the same player wants to leave.
1 year later we have a new manager with a different philosophy.
1 year later we are in the championship and flex down wages come into play…usually around 50% reduction.

We only receive 1 concrete offer of double the money we spent on this player only 1 year ago.

We have a manager who’s not that fussed on him.

We have a player who wants to go and earn £77k a week, near as damn it treble his earnings for the coming season.

I’d say the club hasn’t fu**** up one bit.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2880 on: August 05, 2021, 03:21:42 PM »

No they havent.

You can only sell to a buyer and they generally will only pay what they want to pay. A player is worth what a buyer values them at.

Why were WBA the only club willing to pay the £8m but only 12 months down the line IF we went up?
Why were other clubs not interested in taking him after a decent season in the Bundesliga?
Why were no other clubs interested in MP after a very good season in the premier league?

People in Football circles talk to each other - make no mistake.  We took a gamble on him knowing that it was a minimal fee in relative terms offset against £8.7m transfer fee 12 months down the line. 

We went up so another £4.5m top up to reach the £8.7m fee was easily done with promotion.

We earned circa £100m as a club getting promoted and with that secured the future of the club for a number of years, covered the losses of covid and are now on a sound financial footing.

1 year later we are in the championship and flex down wages come into play…usually around 50% reduction.

We only receive 1 concrete offer of double the money we spent on this player only 1 year ago.

We have a player who wants to go and earn £77k a week, near as damn it treble his earnings for the coming season.

All this MP transfer confirms to me is that no matter how grossly negligent the board act there will always be some fans willing to twist and turn every excuse they can conjure up to justify the unjustifiable.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2881 on: August 05, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »

No they havent.

Your idea of excellent differs greatly from mine.

Apologist rubbish.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2882 on: August 05, 2021, 03:23:37 PM »
All this MP transfer confirms to me is that no matter how grossly negligent the board act there will always be some fans willing to twist and turn every excuse they can conjure up to justify the unjustifiable.

Totally agree. There is only one club that could make a right hash of this and that's us.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2883 on: August 05, 2021, 03:26:52 PM »

No they havent.

Kens english is improving quickly !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2884 on: August 05, 2021, 03:30:34 PM »
Got to say thats an awful post from the other forum in my opinion. We've pulled our own pants down and got reamed. In whatever world that is a good thing i don't want a part of.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2885 on: August 05, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
Got to say thats an awful post from the other forum in my opinion. We've pulled our own pants down and got reamed. In whatever world that is a good thing i don't want a part of.
No we have not. We would have had our pants pulled down if we had stuck out for 25 millions which no one was going to pay and ended up with him going nowhere and rotting in the reserves until going for even less in January

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2886 on: August 05, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »
Such a shame its ending this way. I won't be critical of the bloke to much because we all want to better ourselves financially but I will be critical of him for the way he has gone about things. You don't refuse to play in games and you don't down tools in training. The statement he released earlier on in the week was also a massive joke and a contradiction. Basically reading like I'm commited but at the same time I'm not commited. One of the best players I have ever seen and he gave us some great highlights /memories but he isn't commited and for that I will say good riddance to a rotten attitude.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2887 on: August 05, 2021, 03:41:44 PM »
No we have not. We would have had our pants pulled down if we had stuck out for 25 millions which no one was going to pay and ended up with him going nowhere and rotting in the reserves until going for even less in January

Disagree, tell him to put his big boy pants on, explain he is NOT getting that Al-Hilal unless they pay £25m+ and we will entertain offers from the PL at £25m+. No need to sell him in Jan either.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2888 on: August 05, 2021, 03:43:00 PM »
Disagree, tell him to put his big boy pants on, explain he is NOT getting that Al-Hilal unless they pay £25m+ and we will entertain offers from the PL at £25m+. No need to sell him in Jan either.

It does mean we wouldn't have the funds to bring in the striker and midfielder we desperately need.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2889 on: August 05, 2021, 03:44:18 PM »
It does mean we wouldn't have the funds to bring in the striker and midfielder we desperately need.

I dont think the money we are receiving and already committing some of towards our old boys new contracts will do that either. I've no problem with the sale of MP if it enables us to get our top 2 targets but i dont think we have enough coming in.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2890 on: August 05, 2021, 03:44:48 PM »

No they havent.

Agree with the argument in principle, but......................

IMO we haven't secured the future of the club for a number of years as a result of last year's promotion. Media rebates meant that we will have had less than £100 million, & in any case player wages will have taken care of most of that.

Pereria is allegedly being paid £135 k per week, not £77k per week.

Without doubt, we've been out maneuvered, but I wouldn't say the board have been negligent. They did make a profit on Pereria, compared to a loss of £13 million on Oliver Burke. Remains to be seen on the outcomes for Grant & Diangana.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2891 on: August 05, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »

No they havent.

I disagree with that. We got lucky and got a real bargain, then we failed to cash out properly. Bargains are found all the time in football, it doesn't mean that MP was bad or damaged goods.

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2892 on: August 05, 2021, 03:45:49 PM »

No they havent.

Agree with you. Where are the clubs that are cueing up to buy MP for £30m plus ? Some seem to think that just because you want to think something is true doesn't mean it is.
Some people just want to moan whatever the club does. I have the same at work. The same people complain whatever changes are made good or bad.

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2893 on: August 05, 2021, 03:47:50 PM »
I disagree with that. We got lucky and got a real bargain, then we failed to cash out properly. Bargains are found all the time in football, it doesn't mean that MP was bad or damaged goods.
Tell us which clubs want to buy MP for the amount you would like us to get.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2894 on: August 05, 2021, 03:53:11 PM »
I dont think the money we are receiving and already committing some of towards our old boys new contracts will do that either. I've no problem with the sale of MP if it enables us to get our top 2 targets but i dont think we have enough coming in.

With proper recruitment £10m should be more than enough when in the Championship. Granted that's a big IF.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2895 on: August 05, 2021, 03:54:12 PM »
With proper recruitment £10m should be more than enough when in the Championship. Granted that's a big IF.

Going on the current regimes past record you have a lot more faith in them than me mate

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2896 on: August 05, 2021, 03:55:25 PM »

Do you honestly think that VI will have the proceeds to spend? I'd guess at 50% of that at most.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2897 on: August 05, 2021, 03:59:35 PM »
Did the club ever say how much we want for MP?
Or is it just us fans saying he's worth £25/40 millions?
We gambled and bought him for £8 millionand more than doubled our money.
So whose nose is put out of joint?
The club, no.
Some fans, yes.
Hes only worth what someone will pay and he's off our books Inc' a possible trouble maker, regardless of his footballing abilities.
I mean it's not as if he's even an international player.
People who are saying he's a top 6 player or comparing to Grealish et Al are really not with it.
I liked his play but not his playing up.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2898 on: August 05, 2021, 04:18:49 PM »
Did the club ever say how much we want for MP?
Or is it just us fans saying he's worth £25/40 millions?
We gambled and bought him for £8 millionand more than doubled our money.
So whose nose is put out of joint?
The club, no.
Some fans, yes.
Hes only worth what someone will pay and he's off our books Inc' a possible trouble maker, regardless of his footballing abilities.
I mean it's not as if he's even an international player.
People who are saying he's a top 6 player or comparing to Grealish et Al are really not with it.
I liked his play but not his playing up.
Pretty much agree with all of this . Don’t think the club ever put a figure on his head but it seemed to be more than just fantalk that somewhere around 20/25 million would be acceptable. With his outburst and the fallout from that this sum would have been reduced. I don’t think for one minute that keeping him without playing him was an option.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2899 on: August 05, 2021, 04:24:33 PM »
There was an article the other day they wanted £30m but after his statement they would drop it to £25m to get rid.