Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668186 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #3225 on: August 03, 2021, 10:50:40 PM »
I am certainly not aware of an 11m bid but maybe I am wrong?

There hasn’t been an £11m bid.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3226 on: August 03, 2021, 11:02:10 PM »
There hasn’t been an £11m bid.
We certainly would have accepted it if there had been.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3227 on: August 03, 2021, 11:14:42 PM »
Trying to find the source, I saw it a few days ago.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3228 on: August 03, 2021, 11:16:54 PM »
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sam-johnstone-west-brom-transfer-21191953

Apologies for sending you there... adblocker needed. Shambles of a site.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3229 on: August 03, 2021, 11:24:26 PM »
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sam-johnstone-west-brom-transfer-21191953

Abandon all hope ye who enter.........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

hillsm

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3230 on: August 03, 2021, 11:44:01 PM »
I have been told today by someone who spoke with SJ's agent yesterday that he will be staying with us this season. Whether he signs a new deal or runs his contract down I don't know, my conversation never got that far.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3231 on: August 04, 2021, 01:02:12 AM »
There seems to be diminishing options for Johnstone so the default seems to be that he will be with us this coming season.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3232 on: August 04, 2021, 01:12:51 AM »
There seems to be diminishing options for Johnstone so the default seems to be that he will be with us this coming season.

Dismal outcome for the club...

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3233 on: August 04, 2021, 05:02:00 AM »
Dismal outcome for the club...

Agreed we needed to sell and get the 10m or so and get a cm and cf if not 2.
O Albion we love you

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3234 on: August 04, 2021, 06:45:06 AM »

it says there was "apparently" an £11M bid, nothing concrete...and the source of the story seems to be the ever reliable Football Insider.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3235 on: August 04, 2021, 08:59:28 AM »
An Athletic article suggests that we have been talking to Sam about the possibility of signing a new contract but nothing will happen until the close of the window.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3236 on: August 04, 2021, 09:26:39 AM »
An Athletic article suggests that we have been talking to Sam about the possibility of signing a new contract but nothing will happen until the close of the window.

Jacko just lost his mind  ;D

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3237 on: August 04, 2021, 09:30:07 AM »
Good to see him getting his head down.

We'd still be better off cashing in and getting a midfielder and a striker in. We have two more than adequate goalkeepers for this division already.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3238 on: August 04, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
Jacko just lost his mind  ;D

I agree with Jacko, looking forward to seeing Button start the season rather than Mr Flapper and hoping someone somewhere shows an interest in SJ in this window.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3239 on: August 04, 2021, 09:44:35 AM »
Genuinely haven't seen enough of either Button or Palmer to say we have sufficient cover at GK. But I watched some of the goals Sam conceded during the promotion season the other day. Save yourselves the bother people..... trust me, the experience was just as unpleasant as it was at the time.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3240 on: August 04, 2021, 09:51:52 AM »
Genuinely haven't seen enough of either Button or Palmer to say we have sufficient cover at GK. But I watched some of the goals Sam conceded during the promotion season the other day. Save yourselves the bother people..... trust me, the experience was just as unpleasant as it was at the time.

Yes and despite the fact that he did have a decent season last season he really isnt that good, nowhere near as good as some people say he is.

Watch the game at Leeds at the back end of last season, the errors have not gone from his game.

Any reasonable offer I'd gratefully accept.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3241 on: August 04, 2021, 09:59:47 AM »
.....Watch the game at Leeds at the back end of last season, the errors have not gone from his game.......

None of the goals were Sam's fault, those nasty Leeds supporters put him off his game  ;) .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3242 on: August 04, 2021, 10:17:52 AM »
Athletic article says SJ in talks over new contract with a get out clause that kicks in if we don't get promoted. Sensible.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3243 on: August 04, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »
Terrible news this, if the bid was £11m we should have snapped their hand off, my feeling is it probably wasn't. Even at £6m though, with one year left, the money would have been more useful than him.
Worst case scenario is him getting a new contract and being glued to our line for another 3 years or so.  :'(

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3244 on: August 04, 2021, 10:23:43 AM »
He's a great shot stopper and maybe a decent coach could teach him when to command his area as part of an organised defence.  Surely somebody picked as reserve for England is better than Button or are all the Johnstone detractors on here better judges of goalkeeping - of course they are.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3245 on: August 04, 2021, 10:25:56 AM »
The worst decision throughout all the SJ and MP business was the decision not to accept the slightly lower, revised offer from Crystal Palace for Ferguson when they discovered his knee injury. The people in charge were not wise enough to be playing hardball. Saying that if we had took the money it would have gone into last years budget and we all know how well that went.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:45:14 AM by gazberg »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3246 on: August 04, 2021, 10:44:12 AM »
Worst case scenario is him getting a new contract and being glued to our line for another 3 years or so.  :'(
My preference would be for him to be sold too, but my hunch is that Valerien will be less tolerant of Johnstone's general failings than his predecessors here. On that basis, either he'd have to improve aspects of his game or someone else would be tried to see if they could do better.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3247 on: August 04, 2021, 11:57:10 AM »
He's a great shot stopper and maybe a decent coach could teach him when to command his area as part of an organised defence.  Surely somebody picked as reserve for England is better than Button or are all the Johnstone detractors on here better judges of goalkeeping - of course they are.
We watch him week in week out, Southgate and his scouts do not, so, yes, we probably are.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3248 on: August 04, 2021, 12:34:53 PM »
There are worse keepers than Johnstone at this level and there are better. The point is, the club is in a financial situation where it could use the funds generated from a sale better in other positions. We have adequate back up keepers at the club, who may be slightly worse than SJ, but only slightly.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #3249 on: August 04, 2021, 02:43:16 PM »
We watch him week in week out, Southgate and his scouts do not, so, yes, we probably are.
Next time a goal keeping post comes up at the Baggies I think you should apply. Or even at George's park as you know more than the England set up.