Author Topic: 14 Feb 2021 Albion 1 Manchester United 1  (Read 39904 times)

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

Re: 14 Feb 2021 Albion 1 Manchester United 1
« Reply #475 on: February 14, 2021, 08:25:49 PM »
A good result today.  Performances now need to be treated in isolation, the relegation issue is an unwanted distraction.  We are down, but pride is there to play for.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #476 on: February 14, 2021, 09:11:38 PM »
They were right NOT to check for offside. One of those daft laws but legal nonetheless.

A ref on Twitter has said that for Maguire to be offside he had to touch/play the ball OR be challenging directly for the ball OR prevent Ajayi from playing the ball as none of those happened when contact was made he wasnt offside.

So you can be completely offside and win a penalty so long as it's off the ball?  I don't think that's ever been the case.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #477 on: February 14, 2021, 09:15:18 PM »
So you can be completely offside and win a penalty so long as it's off the ball?  I don't think that's ever been the case.

Referee said it not me, its on Twitter if you fancy a look. Madeley posted about it.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #478 on: February 14, 2021, 10:43:51 PM »
Utd were poor for them, so not going to get carried away, but a big improvement for us today. Probably be back to normal next game, so let's enjoy it while we can.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2021, 07:40:11 AM »
Read this about the offside and its nuts. As soon as Maguire moves toward the ball he becomes active and therefore offside surely, clearly that happens before the supposed foul. I can see a scenario where this is aimed at somebody letting go a left hook to an opponent before a free kick comes in but not in a situation like yesterday's. All in all it just look like another rule for inefficient officials to hide behind .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #480 on: February 15, 2021, 09:02:28 AM »
A much improved performance.
Yokuslu showed the importance of having an actual defensive midfielder playing that role. Thought Maitland Niles was very ordinary, awful pass for Diagne.

Defensively we looked better overall and Furlong made a difference in the 2nd half.

Pereira needs to be playing centrally to get the best out of him.

Livermore was sloppy when he came on, stupid yellow card then awful pass which nearly cost us at the end but he is the better option at DM than Sawyers as a sub. Once Yokuslu is up to speed we'll see less of Livermore.

Diagne played well and was a real handful for Maguire and Lindelof all game, took his goal well but should have scored at least one other. Why he went with a right foot flick rather than opening his body up and just passing the ball into the net with his left only he knows. Still at least he got into the positions in the first place.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2021, 09:03:51 AM »
If you watch the "penalty" incident again Maguire actually gives Ajayi a little nudge first which is why he got the run on him.

No way was that a penalty. Slabhead can cry all he likes.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #482 on: February 15, 2021, 12:03:19 PM »
Finally some improvement - the importance of having a decent DCM cannot be overstated.

What can be said about Diagne?  He  is certainly an improvement on Brown (No) Ideye.  He took 1 out of about 4 chances; he would probably be effective in a two man attack - who wouldn't?

I hope that AMN doesn't think that just because he's on loan from Arsenal he can participate just as much as he wants.  Mrs NJS called me to go on daily walk about the time of the penalty incident but up to that point I thought he looked ordinary, touching OK.  Krovinovic would have done better in terms of taking the ball on the turn and linking with Pereira.  Maybe he improved later.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:38:21 PM by Hull Baggie »
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #483 on: February 15, 2021, 12:19:02 PM »
Turns out the VAR was right not to check offside.

Basically laws state the supposed foul cancels out the initial offside when the ball came in.

Seems a stupid law but no fault of the VAR..

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #484 on: February 15, 2021, 12:37:18 PM »
Referee said it not me, its on Twitter if you fancy a look. Madeley posted about it.

Yeah, seems the rule is like that in Ireland and I guess over here.  It boggles my mind - the player is offside as soon as the ball is played so that foul 'comes first'.  Just because we don't blow for offside until the player touches the ball hasn't changed when the foul has been made.  Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it was allowed to stand.  Seems like it's asking for players to stand offside, ball over the top, wait for contact from defender and go down.

--edit--

From the FA Rules...

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent’s progress (e.g. blocks the opponent), the offence should be penalised under Law 12

• a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence

So the bottom bullet point would say that Maguire's offside didn't matter, but the top bullet point must surely come into action and he's impeding the defender from playing the ball. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:47:40 PM by boinging_along »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #485 on: February 15, 2021, 12:54:54 PM »
Why does it have to be so complicated? When the ball is kicked and therefore play is active, Maguire is offside. No need for all the other rubbish.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #486 on: February 15, 2021, 12:59:25 PM »
Why does it have to be so complicated? When the ball is kicked and therefore play is active, Maguire is offside. No need for all the other rubbish.
I thought the whole point of the new rules was to prevent these situations...

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #487 on: February 15, 2021, 01:30:05 PM »
I thought the whole point of the new rules was to prevent these situations...

Me too, the offside rule is a right mess now.  I'd be tempted to push a striker right up past the defenders now, cut off any easy backpasses to the keeper.  Always been the weird option of a winger taking it down the line and crossing it in to someone who was clearly offside when the ball was originally played but now you can take advantage of 2 weird aspects to the offside rule...

1) Maguire situation, you can be as offside as you like but if the defender touches you before the ball you can get a free kick and a probable red card for the defender.

2) Mings situation, ping the ball at a CH, the attacker can take it off him as soon as he tries to control it even if the attacker was offside.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #488 on: February 15, 2021, 03:50:05 PM »
What bothers me is that ref gave the penalty in first place cry baby was going down in instalments these officials are clearly man ure's 12th man.