Author Topic: Craig Dawson  (Read 458005 times)

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Craig Dawson
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2011, 05:39:01 AM »
 :o Dawson will become a regular sooner than later....he has it all...21 is not too young.
  (Bobby Hope played for Albion at 16, Asa Hartford was 17 on his debut).

He has got good vision,positional sense,enough physical strength. A big big bonus on set pieces.....could even make the top 4 or 5 highest goalscorers for Albion.

Rich99

« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »
He has it all...21 is not too young, Bobby Hope played for Albion at 16.

Fair enough, but that was 50 plus years ago, some might argue that the game has changed a wee bit since then.

Anyway, personally, I agree in a way, I say let's give Dawson or McAuley a chance at the back to prove themselves at this level.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:24:03 AM by Rich99 »

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2011, 07:54:45 AM »
Fair enough, but that was 50 plus years ago, some might argue that the game has changed a wee bit since then.

Anyway, personally, I agree in a way, I say let's give Dawson or McAuley a chance at the back to prove themselves at this level.
Some might argue that but there are plenty of examples in the modern game as well. Have not seen the team or squad for last nights match but how many play regular Premiership football?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2011, 07:59:44 AM »
why not just wait and see?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »
No doubting the potential, its up to the coaching staff to bring it out of him now
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »

Other premiership clubs seem to be OK with bringing in youngters, even us with Thorne, what' s the difference?

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2011, 12:10:40 PM »
Centre backs in general do usually play later in fairness, there's the odd exception like Jones playing at 19, although even then most of his early performances were at right back or central midfield.

Still, he made the step ups from semi pro to league 2, then to league one, and passed with flying colours, so perhaps it won't be so bad moving into the premier league as with Davies.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2011, 12:12:07 PM »
It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with Dawson. He'slooking like a great prospect.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2011, 12:14:36 PM »
With all due respect to the other clubs but we have Norwich, Swansea and QPR coming up, surely these are the games to 'break him in'
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
With all due respect to the other clubs but we have Norwich, Swansea and QPR coming up, surely these are the games to 'break him in'

I see what you mean but are they? These are huge, huge games. Games that now, after our pointless start, we have a lot of pressure on to win.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:45:04 PM by CL3MO »

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2011, 02:15:25 PM »
I see what you mean but are they? These are huge, huge games. Games that now, after our pointless start, we have a lot of pressure on to win.

agreed! the next 2 games need to yield us a minimum of 3 points! 4 is good 6 is perfect!
dont think we should rush him into first team action! tamas has looked solid for me and i blame foster for the cock up the other week (lets not open that argument again) so i dont think he deserves dropping.

good game for england last night but premier league footbll is alot higher standard then u21 internationals! I saw dawson at bournemouth the other week and i wasnt wholey impressed but it was one game! i would have like to have seen him in a championship loan deal but due to our lack of centre backs and our horrible injury record in that department (touched wood) that he is no doubt going to be involved
O Albion we love you

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »
He could be the next Curtis Davies (until Davies got too big for his boots), or he could be another Leon Barnett.

We shall see.

i.e a Championship defender or a Premiership one! As they say, it's a funny old game.

I understand your point though.
"This crack is really moreish."

65baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2011, 02:11:42 PM »
Like many Baggies fans I read the various comments about our lack of activity in signing an established centre half.  We all know it's the area of the team that needed improved.  But maybe, just maybe our new centre half has been signed and just needs that chance to show what he can do.  I just had a browse through related articles in relation to Craig Dawson.  Didn't realise Spurs had a good look at him and Roy when at Fulham watched him alot.  So when will his time come? When you look at Smalling and Jones getting the opportunity, should Roy just select him and take the chance?  From reading everything about him I think he's ready.  He has a great attitude, loved by the fans at Rochdale and I know Baggies fans want him to play.  It all depends how the forthcoming games go but I think it's only a matter of time before him and Jonas as our central defensive pair.

So lets try and put a positive spin on things.  His previous manager at Rochdale says he will wear the England shirt one day and become a member of the full England squad.

Your views please!!!   

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
His confidence will be sky high so why not.
I only go for the beer.

65baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2011, 02:17:40 PM »
Think you're right Rowley, he will never be more confident

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
I'm deferring to Roy on this. I haven't seen him play enough, and even if I had, I wouldn't know if he is mentally prepared for the big time. But I'm pretty sure Roy knows exactly how ready he is.

the_mighty_boosh

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
now is the perfect time to play him, Norwich away, after his U21s debut, as said above he's buzzing and i for one think he should be chucked into the side
if i were wrong, dont you think id know it!

Cunningham56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »
I don't know what our problem is with introducing young players into the starting line up is. He is 21 years old after all!

Wayne Rooney was 16 when he scored that wonder goal against Everton
Michael Owen was 18 when he scored THAT goal against Argentina

Jack Wilshere is 19 years old and is already a starting player for Arsenal (and England maybe?)

I know they are not exactly comparable situations with Craig Dawson and WBA but I guess my point is "if you're good enough, you're old enough"

I say chuck him straight into the starting line up against Norwich and see what he is made of

WBA Brad WBA

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »
How about we wait until Tamas starts to make mistakes, if he ever does? He's played brilliant so far imo, and like Dawson his confidence will be high. Him and Olsson are looking to be a good partnership atm.

Mulumbu99

« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »
How about we wait until Tamas starts to make mistakes, if he ever does? He's played brilliant so far imo, and like Dawson his confidence will be high. Him and Olsson are looking to be a good partnership atm.

did you see the stoke goal....?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2011, 04:34:50 PM »
I'd say start him against Norwich.  There can't really be a better time for him to come in.

WBA Brad WBA

« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »

Well first of all it was a foul and second if you were going to blame one of them you would blame Foster for not getting his body behind the ball.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
I would love Dawson to be thrown in think he's a real talent. Whether Roy thinks he is ready or not is something else.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »
I'm confident that Dawson will at some point this season emerge as a first choice centre back next to Olsson, but Tamas hasn't done anything wrong yet this season (my opinion is the Stoke goal was down to a Foster error and bad refereeing). Until Tamas starts performing badly Dawson will have to wait for his chance.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »

We best forget about Dawson  replacing Tamas and get Fulop in goal instead then.