1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441738 times)

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #3050 on: June 14, 2021, 09:33:07 PM »
 "While we have not yet formally offered the job to any candidate, it is fair to state we have faced setbacks and, with that in mind, I do not think it is wise to set a precise deadline by which an appointment will be made..."

He means: We have yet to find anyone who is prepared to take the job but people have been sounded out and they’ve told us where to go. We have no idea of who we want or when we will have idea about who we want so just leave us alone to do very little of any real significance in any hurry.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3051 on: June 14, 2021, 09:33:46 PM »
Tony won’t be coming back to us.
I reckon Pauli’s is managing Sweden at the moment, Spain getting Pulised
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3052 on: June 14, 2021, 09:34:34 PM »
A big positive from that is where he said they are reviewing the football operations.

As said previous, there is no point having a technical director / director of football for the sake of it, there has to be a purpose, in our position we are not planning for three years or five years time, we are dealing with the right now, it would seem our aim is to get the premier league and be sold asap, whether thats after a year of staying there or straight away when going up.

I dont think it helped our chances of us being sold last time because there was only 6 or 7 weeks between us confirming us as a premier league club and the season starting, no fans allowed, covid affecting finances, etc.

So if i was Lai, i would forget all the DOF, football operations, etc use wages saved on them and go and get a top manager (not head coach) give them responsiblity for coaches, players, etc back them as well as we can and let them get on with it.

Get us promoted, and sell asap, let the next owners worry about DOF, long terms plans, etc.

If we go that route and give a manager full control then it has to be somebody top notch, sounds far fetched but i would try for Benitez, make him well paid in this league with a huge bonus for going up and a pay rise if we do it and a huge bonus if he kept us up, he is money motivated, he went to china after all, and normally i would want somebody more developing and planning but we are not in that situation.

It would be a minimal chance but worth trying Benitez, would get fans onside and fit the supposed criteria, and make us more appealing to potential
Buyers, but if not him somebody worth backing without a DOF, let that manager be the person who deals with the football stuff.

It does look as though the club will be re-structured without a DoF, making the Head Coach responsible to Ken for all football matters.
Player contracts etc are a commercial responsibility, so the Head Coach wouldn't be involved in the detail.
They might also appoint an academy director/manager who would also be responsible to Ken, or alternatively, run the academy as a stand alone business. A third alternative would be to dismantle it.

So back to the head coach, it does look as though Lai is keen to get someone in with experience.

Personally, I wouldn't discount Pulis. Lai knows him & has worked with him before, & Pulis knows the club. There is a risk of alienating the fans, but it might be a risk Lai is prepared to take.
With a higher profile & not reporting to a DoF, Allardyce might be persuaded to reconsider.
I think Rafa is also a great shout, & would improve Lai's image no end.

Members of the forum have long complained about Lai not putting his head above the parapet, well he has now, & there's no doubt about it our next Head Coach is going to be his man
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3053 on: June 14, 2021, 09:43:38 PM »
It does look as though the club will be re-structured without a DoF, making the Head Coach responsible to Ken for all football matters.
Player contracts etc are a commercial responsibility, so the Head Coach wouldn't be involved in the detail.
They might also appoint an academy director/manager who would also be responsible to Ken, or alternatively, run the academy as a stand alone business. A third alternative would be to dismantle it.

So back to the head coach, it does look as though Lai is keen to get someone in with experience.

Personally, I wouldn't discount Pulis. Lai knows him & has worked with him before, & Pulis knows the club. There is a risk of alienating the fans, but it might be a risk Lai is prepared to take.
With a higher profile & not reporting to a DoF, Allardyce might be persuaded to reconsider.
I think Rafa is also a great shout, & would improve Lai's image no end.

Members of the forum have long complained about Lai not putting his head above the parapet, well he has now, & there's no doubt about it our next Head Coach is going to be his man
He wasn't even mentioned in the statement, so not sure how you can claim he put his head above the parapet.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3054 on: June 14, 2021, 09:51:19 PM »
My thoughts, after today’s developments, are that we will be looking for a more experienced and knowledgeable manager, how has contacts throughout football and has a track record of being successful.

I was being frivolous when I first mentioned Rafa in this thread, but it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that he is a target as, no doubt, Lai will have had conversations with the owners of Dalian Professional F.C. regarding Rafa tenure there.

I think Dowling’s departure is a game changer for the club and the structure. Strangely, given the low ebb we are at,  I feel more optimistic about our short term future.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3055 on: June 14, 2021, 09:51:32 PM »
I must admit to being surprised at how many people regard the load of old flannel relased by Ken this evening as being acceptable. As baggie82 has said, who is there at the club who has any knowledge at all about the playing and coaching side of football that qualifies them to be able to make an informed decision about who our new manager should be? As we only have 3 directors, who is actually taking part in this recruitment activity?

As for "Luke’s departure provides us with an opportunity to reassess how our football operation functions and I will provide a further update on this subject in due course", again who at the club has the knowledge and expertise to be able to make a sensible decision about this?

It just seems to me that we have 3 senior people left at the club who between them know next to nothing about the playing/coaching side of football and yet a lot of fans are happy to put their faith in their "ability" to make vital decisions about the "football department". I don't share their confidence in the slightest.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3056 on: June 14, 2021, 09:55:29 PM »
I must admit to being surprised at how many people regard the load of old flannel relased by Ken this evening as being acceptable. As baggie82 has said, who is there at the club who has any knowledge at all about the playing and coaching side of football that qualifies them to be able to make an informed decision about who our new manager should be? As we only have 3 directors, who is actually taking part in this recruitment activity?

As for "Luke’s departure provides us with an opportunity to reassess how our football operation functions and I will provide a further update on this subject in due course", again who at the club has the knowledge and expertise to be able to make a sensible decision about this?

It just seems to me that we have 3 senior people left at the club who between them know next to nothing about the playing/coaching side of football and yet a lot of fans are happy to put their faith in their "ability" to make vital decisions about the "football department". I don't share their confidence in the slightest.

Great post and I completely agree with every word.

I feel our club is hollow - no depth at all in terms of decision makers and key personnel.

Huge, huge trouble.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3057 on: June 14, 2021, 09:58:41 PM »
Actions will speak louder than words and that will be the time judge.

One of the biggest complaints from fans was who did what, with head coaches not wanting certain players signed and Dowling not wanting some the manager wanted, maybe there was too many cooks in the kitchen.

Years ago it used to be a board of directors and a football manager, over time that has developed to techinal directors, football operations, etc. I think for clubs looking to the future, having that structure makes sense.

I think in our present situation, go back to basics and have a football manager, get the right person and i think its our best option. Judging from peoples reactions to Dowlings targets, i am not sure we will be missing too much expertise (for what its worth i wouldnt of minded Appleton as a head coach and could see the appeal of Wilder without a DOF both based on our then situation)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3058 on: June 14, 2021, 10:01:14 PM »
He wasn't even mentioned in the statement, so not sure how you can claim he put his head above the parapet.

Apart from the bit about the season tickets, where Ken said I twice, the whole statement was from a collective "we".

You don't do this bit without input from the owner
Luke’s departure provides us with an opportunity to reassess how our football operation functions and I will provide a further update on this subject in due course. 

Lai has also overruled the DoF on an appointment, whatever happened in the past, he's now very much hands on.
If I'd got £200 million at stake, I think I would be too

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3059 on: June 14, 2021, 10:05:49 PM »
Lai has also overruled the DoF on an appointment, whatever happened in the past, he's now very much hands on.
If I'd got £200 million at stake, I think I would be too.
The very fact that he got stung for £200m in the first instance should leave us in no doubt that he doesn't know what he's doing and his subsequent strategy doesn't amount to anything more than cluelessly flailing around. On that basis, the prospect of him taking a more hands on role doesn't bode well.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3060 on: June 14, 2021, 10:11:59 PM »

Surely, that is a structural decision, not a football one?

If Lai's one aim is to get a quick return to the EPL in order to make a sale, he won't be too bothered about the niceties of style. On the other hand, a club with a robust structure will be attractive to a buyer.

Personally, I'm happier tonight that we're heading in a more positive direction, than I was a couple of months ago, when we appeared to be looking at a very fragile sticking plaster job

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3061 on: June 14, 2021, 10:21:29 PM »
Apart from the bit about the season tickets, where Ken said I twice, the whole statement was from a collective "we".

You don't do this bit without input from the owner

If I'd got £200 million at stake, I think I would be too
Having input behind the scenes is a million miles away from putting your head above the parapet. He very much delegated the head putting duties. Real leadership, real vision would be fronting up, and being wiling to put your name to any statement.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3062 on: June 14, 2021, 10:25:45 PM »
The very fact that he got stung for £200m in the first instance should leave us in no doubt that he doesn't know what he's doing and his subsequent strategy doesn't amount to anything more than cluelessly flailing around. On that basis, the prospect of him taking a more hands on role doesn't bode well.

Lai must have a mannequin of Jeremy Peace in his lair over in China. I imagine it’s not too dissimilar from Scaramanga’s fun house in The Man With The Golden Gun.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3063 on: June 14, 2021, 10:36:38 PM »
The lack of football knowledge is troubling. Personally I think a lot of football clubs are smoke and mirrors. We assume people know what they are doing.... Nicky Hammond had over 10 years of experience in a technical director role and Hired Alan Pardew.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3064 on: June 14, 2021, 10:42:23 PM »
It does seem to make more sense that Big Sam was supposedly helping us with our new head coach search.

As we had gone down and getting rid of half the squad, his input shouldnt really of been needed as we wasnt looking for continuity for his six months work.

That really should of been Dowling duty so i would imagine the doubts about him had been there for a while hence asking Big Sam.

With the board not having much football knowledge, maybe they are listening to Big Sam going forward.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:44:31 PM by Albion79 »

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3065 on: June 14, 2021, 10:42:40 PM »
It was said in jest but I am genuinely concerned about a Pulis return now.

I would take any guy over him. Despicable man, no morals and dishes up awful football. Please no!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3066 on: June 14, 2021, 10:43:31 PM »
Having input behind the scenes is a million miles away from putting your head above the parapet. He very much delegated the head putting duties. Real leadership, real vision would be fronting up, and being wiling to put your name to any statement.

He's the major shareholder, but overruling Luke Dowling, says the buck stops with me.
Not sure how a major shareholder who isn't part of the executive puts his name to any statement.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3067 on: June 14, 2021, 11:06:35 PM »
I still think it will be Alex Neil.

Don’t think it will be long before Garry Monk, Hughes and the other similar names odds start to shorten too.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3068 on: June 14, 2021, 11:11:23 PM »
I still think it will be Alex Neil.

Don’t think it will be long before Garry Monk, Hughes and the other similar names odds start to shorten too.

With Dowling gone I think we can discount the narrow British merry-go-round of failure.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3069 on: June 14, 2021, 11:11:30 PM »
What a coup for the club that would be getting Benitez. Saying that, he’d probably try and bring Rondon with him. Can’t be having that 🤨

Back on planet earth Michael Appleton laughed off suggestions of taking the job today.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:16:54 PM by baggie82 »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3070 on: June 14, 2021, 11:13:49 PM »
With Dowling gone I think we can discount the narrow British merry-go-round of failure.

Does Brenda in the ticket office have an extensive contact list of foreign based agents to rely on?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3071 on: June 14, 2021, 11:16:30 PM »
The club is not in the toilet though is it? We have a strong squad, sellable assets and parachute payments. 95% of the league, we are now in, would still swap places with us and the bookies don't appear to think we are a shambles either as we are still second favourites.
Ken will have people around him to identify a new DoF. Dowling didn't have autonomy, there will be a team in place for this scenario. Have you watched Sky Sports News lately? No club is doing anything, we are in the dead zone. Perfect time to restructure. The club shop manager and the canteen staff are also probably on holiday, as is the kit man.

Who are these mysterious people around Ken. There is Li Piyue the chairman and Mark Miles the operations director in charge of playing the pre-match music. There is nobody else on the board.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3072 on: June 14, 2021, 11:20:28 PM »

Marco Silva could be a name that crops up then. Looking at the last few seasons there aren’t many other foreign managers who’ve got a promotion on the CV and out of work. Benitez I think we can safely rule out.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3073 on: June 14, 2021, 11:41:50 PM »
What odds on a Morrison/Brunt manager/assistant duo with Scharner as DoF? 

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3074 on: June 14, 2021, 11:46:07 PM »
Marco Silva could be a name that crops up then. Looking at the last few seasons there aren’t many other foreign managers who’ve got a promotion on the CV and out of work. Benitez I think we can safely rule out.

We couldn’t afford Benitez anyway. Add to that we’re not a big enough club for a manager like him.

I jokingly remarked earlier he’d try and link up with Rondon again. I couldn’t watch him missing sitters all over again.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:56:33 PM by PartisanBaggie »