Author Topic: 13 Sept 2020 Albion 0 Leicester City 3  (Read 53692 times)

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #350 on: September 13, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »
just wonder if pen decisions would have been given if other way around?

welcome back to trying to beat 12 every match. Keep asking why the same challenge is treated differently to our disadvantage so often?

Leic better in every position though, but give GD and MP the same protection as Vardy, get rid of Bartley, get a goalkeeper that can catch and win the ball in the air, a good all round midfielder and a proper CF then we might make a better go of things. It is still the spine that is short of quality, and the good players are caught up in trying to make up for others deficiencies

I hate the prem and have since the inception, the sooner the top money fs off to a European league of some sort without promotion and relegation, and leaves the proper teams to try to battle for some meaningful uk trophies the better.
any way ATID so COYB regardless

Of course they would have been given, both were clear penalties.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #351 on: September 13, 2020, 04:23:30 PM »
just wonder if pen decisions would have been given if other way around?

welcome back to trying to beat 12 every match. Keep asking why the same challenge is treated differently to our disadvantage so often?

Yes.

Especially with VAR.

They were obvious penalties. Reckless defending from O’Shea and Bartley.

I couldn’t even tell you who the referee was today which is suffice to say he had a good game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #352 on: September 13, 2020, 04:27:26 PM »
Like a lot of people I don’t think naming and shaming players will do any good. They’re just not good enough for this level of football I’m afraid.

The issue is they did have a great start to last years champ and produced some great football, last Christmas onwards though it was hard to watch in almost every game and Slav has to take some blame as he can’t get them back to the pre Christmas performance levels.

Slav might just think this isn’t for him now. He doesn’t look as energised as last year at all.

He was just a big shoulder shrug towards the end as the gulf in quality between the teams became horribly apparent. We lack quality for what is a brutal league: He knows, the fans know, the board knows, the opposition knows.   

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #353 on: September 13, 2020, 04:33:14 PM »
He was just a big shoulder shrug towards the end as the gulf in quality between the teams became horribly apparent. We lack quality for what is a brutal league: He knows, the fans know, the board knows, the opposition knows.

I think that’s the hardest part, pretty much everyone involved with the club knows this team doesn’t stand a chance of survival unless a serious miracle happens.

Very depressing and going to be a truly awful season.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #354 on: September 13, 2020, 04:34:54 PM »

No need to add anything to that. We just don’t have players of sufficient quality.

We can talk about formations, effort, individuals etc. but for me it’s no more complicated than not being good enough.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #355 on: September 13, 2020, 04:40:05 PM »
My word.

If you think effort is the issue then what are you watching?

Their effort is about the only thing they have going for them.
none of them brought out a sweat, I'd give them some bit of credit if they did. Minimum I'd expect is effort not on today's showing which is a concern.

Plastic Paddy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #356 on: September 13, 2020, 04:40:22 PM »
Our Championship Record from January 1st to End of Season was as follows: -

P 21, W 8, D 8, L 5, F 30, A 21, Pts 32 Clean Sheets 9

The squad today was the same minus Krovinovic so given our form so far this calendar year I wasn't expecting anything today and so it was proved.

I appreciate our transfer budget is small and there is probably very little left in the pot if reports are to be believed, but unless we do something to freshen up our squad over the next few weeks, I can't see how we will get the 36-40 points needed for survival
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:45:04 PM by Plastic Paddy »

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »
none of them brought out a sweat, I'd give them some bit of credit if they did. Minimum I'd expect is effort not on today's showing which is a concern.

Today was not a lack of effort, simply a lack of ability.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2020, 04:41:45 PM »

Effort is not the issue - quality is.

They’re just not good enough and it’s nothing to do with effort.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #359 on: September 13, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »
The sad thing was as soon as they scored we seemed to give up. A lot of players need to have a long good look at themselves.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #360 on: September 13, 2020, 04:44:26 PM »
Effort is not the issue - quality is.

They’re just not good enough and it’s nothing to do with effort.

Massive lack of quality and effort from some players. Have a look back at the first half big chance for Leicester when they had four attackers in our box against somehow just three defenders. Shot straight at Johnstone and parried out. Then notice in the replay when the shot had been saved that Gibbs and Sawyers are both finally ambling back into the box to help out.

Gibbs is lazy as hell.

The effort / attitude was poor after we conceded, heads dropped from several.

The whole afternoon was a shambles.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #361 on: September 13, 2020, 04:44:54 PM »
Our Championship Record since from January 1st to End of Season was as follows: -

P 21, W 8, D 8, L 5, F 30, A 21, Pts 32 Clean Sheets 9

The squad today was the same minus Krovinovic so given our form so far this calendar year I wasn't expecting anything today and so it was proved.

I appreciate our transfer budget is small and there is probably very little left in the pot if reports are to be believed, but unless we do something to freshen up our squad over the next few weeks, I can't see how we will get the 36-40 points needed for survival

Unfortunately I don’t think we will survive.

I also think the club are taking promotion as a way to secure our financial future for a few years given the parachute payments.

If they thought otherwise we would have seen numerous new signings to give us an opportunity to compete.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #362 on: September 13, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »
Krovinovic, Gallagher, Grant, Ivanovic- ALL OF THEM need to come in in the next week.

Need to stop piddling about and get those deals done. Without them we have no chance of even being in with a chance of staying up.

Those 4 will make no difference.  Krovinovic could hardly handle the championship and didn't start that often last season, Grant is not a premier league centre forward. He will score you 20 goals in the championship but not in the premier. Gallagher will give you energy and Ivanovic will give you experience at the back.

We can't afford premiership players so we need to look at formations.  Slav was as guilty as any player today.
Wrong starting formation. Subs were poor when he could have put Grosiky on.

There are a lot of better teams than that Leicester side today in the premiership. Just wondering how we get to at least 20 points !!!

Harrogate on Wednesday could be very embarrasing !!!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #363 on: September 13, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »
No need to add anything to that. We just don’t have players of sufficient quality.

We can talk about formations, effort, individuals etc. but for me it’s no more complicated than not being good enough.

I'm wary of over dramatising after 1 game so feel free to shoot me down but it feels a bit like our first promotion team under Megson.   We were hoping that championship players might step up to the PL stage but it became apparent after only a few games that we were in trouble and the gulf between divisions has grown since then. A particular shock was seeing Jason Roberts, who had spent a year burning past championship central defenders, look almost pedestrian in the top league.   Players are faster, stronger and quicker in thought. 

Most fans have been focused on a new striker but it was evident today just how short we are in CM, in fact the spine of the team! BUT is is now Slav's job to get the maximum he can from the squad despite its limitations so that we are at least competitive in games.   Not sure that happened today.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:54:22 PM by Oldbury24 »

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #364 on: September 13, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
First game of the season and the doom and gloom starts :o yes we were poor after 25 minutes but come on we have had MANY seasons were the start as been bad. If it is like this after 4/5 games then start moaning.

IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #365 on: September 13, 2020, 04:49:45 PM »
Comment on the BBC report from a neutral sums it up for me: "I watched 2nd half and to be honest I thought West Brom had walked off".

Thank god we're playing Harrogate Town next.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #366 on: September 13, 2020, 04:50:32 PM »
First game of the season and the doom and gloom starts :o yes we were poor after 25 minutes but come on we have had MANY seasons were the start as been bad. If it is like this after 4/5 games then start moaning.

Personally I see little point in moaning when it is fairly obvious the squad is simply not good enough.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #367 on: September 13, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
Those 4 will make no difference.  Krovinovic could hardly handle the championship and didn't start that often last season, Grant is not a premier league centre forward. He will score you 20 goals in the championship but not in the premier. Gallagher will give you energy and Ivanovic will give you experience at the back.

They are better than what we have.

Today was like Newcastle in the Cup, battered till Krovinovic came on. Hes the type of player needed in the PL.

Grant is better than anyone else we have up front, whether he is good enough, I'm not so sure myself but we have to bring in players better than we have and he is certainly that.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #368 on: September 13, 2020, 04:52:29 PM »
Just come off the cricket field so haven't watched, but Bilić has totally sold Diangana and Pereira out. Abysmal decision to try a formation we've never used that isolates your 2 best players.

I expect much better from the gaffer going forward.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #369 on: September 13, 2020, 04:52:54 PM »
Slav looks like he's had enough already.Not good.
BOING BOING

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #370 on: September 13, 2020, 04:53:14 PM »
Massive lack of quality and effort from some players. Have a look back at the first half big chance for Leicester when they had four attackers in our box against somehow just three defenders. Shot straight at Johnstone and parried out. Then notice in the replay when the shot had been saved that Gibbs and Sawyers are both finally ambling back into the box to help out.

Gibbs is lazy as hell.

The effort / attitude was poor after we conceded, heads dropped from several.

The whole afternoon was a shambles.
thank you ability is God given but players should be able to close down and track back at a minimum.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #371 on: September 13, 2020, 04:55:06 PM »
Two things that hurt today:

1, I listened to a ton of nuetrals upon our promotion who bemoaned the fact that we were coming up again, unfashionable West Brom who apparently play dull, defensive football. We had a chance today to show that we aren't that sort of team, but what did we do? 5 at the back and didn't venture outside our own half for 40 minutes of the second half.

2, On our last promotion, I was sure that Dorrans would translate his quality to the Premier league. For whatever reason, it didn't work, but i've heard all summer than Pereira will be different. Today wasn't his fault, the system just didn't allow him or Diangana to shine, but I hope we aren't going to waste them and stifle them this season. We need them to become £30 million pound players to fund next summer.
Boing Boing

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #372 on: September 13, 2020, 04:56:40 PM »
Didn’t see or listen to the match as I was on the M5.

Two questions.

1) Whose fault for the goals?
2) Are we going down?

Cheers

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #373 on: September 13, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »

Two questions.

2) Are we going down?

Cheers

1) The goals were always coming due to the lack of ability throughout.
2) Yes

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #374 on: September 13, 2020, 05:01:09 PM »

Two questions.

2) Are we going down?

Cheers

Gibbs and Sawyers mainly at fault for first goal
Bartley and O shea gave away pens for the 2nd and 3rd

2 yeah we are gong down