Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 1488956 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6275 on: September 13, 2020, 10:06:31 AM »
I am potential investor in WBA FC please explain to me how I make money from purchasing the club?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:49:55 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6276 on: September 13, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »
Only if you can sell it for a profit mate

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6277 on: September 13, 2020, 11:12:08 AM »
I am potential investor in WBA FC please explain to me how I make money from the purchasing the club?

I said was saying this when Peace was trying to sell at a reported £200m! A lot of people disagreed with me. Investors should be lining up apparently.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6278 on: September 13, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »
I am potential investor in WBA FC please explain to me how I make money from purchasing the club?

Not wishing to be controversial here, just looking for guidance, you do appear to have a handle on the club's finances in the current climate.

In the club accounts for season ending June 2019, there is an entry against creditors for circa £23/24 million which the football club owes to the holding company.
In your opinion, what does that relate to?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6279 on: September 13, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »

Only by buying it a discount to what Lai paid for it, as it was overpriced by around 25%.  With the overseas TV rights being possibly worth less now, if you bought for £150m or less you might have a chance of getting a return.  However, with the extremely high risk of relegation and with the Championship finances really taking a nosedive re COVID, you’d realistically not pay any more than £100m.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6280 on: September 13, 2020, 02:05:40 PM »

Not wishing to be controversial here, just looking for guidance, you do appear to have a handle on the club's finances in the current climate.

In the club accounts for season ending June 2019, there is an entry against creditors for circa £23/24 million which the football club owes to the holding company.
In your opinion, what does that relate to?

My guess is that is money put into the club by the ownership group to cover the operating losses of the last season of the Premier League and the first season in the Championship. It does not seem to be attracting interest so I assume it is not commercial lending.

It rather dwarfs the £4m loan outstanding from the takeover.

Lai is not a terrible owner he just isn't the owner that fans want.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6281 on: September 13, 2020, 03:09:05 PM »
My guess is that is money put into the club by the ownership group to cover the operating losses of the last season of the Premier League and the first season in the Championship. It does not seem to be attracting interest so I assume it is not commercial lending.

It rather dwarfs the £4m loan outstanding from the takeover.

Lai is not a terrible owner he just isn't the owner that fans want.
More accurately, he was the buyer Peace had been hoping for. As I see it, Lai’s only way out, is to cut his losses.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6282 on: September 13, 2020, 05:56:56 PM »

It would require a fairly substantial initial investment, followed by a period where returns were few and far between, before finally earning big money.

Look at the Dingles. Because Fosun own part of Mendes agency, they make money back on every transfer where they use him. But they also invest in players for the long term, who should make them healthy returns on their investment (Traore, Neves). Once the club starts making big money back on these players, you can reinvest enough on the next long term projects, while also paying a healthy dividend to shareholders (i.e. yourself).

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6283 on: September 13, 2020, 06:04:30 PM »
LAI OUT!

It starts here...lol.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #6284 on: September 13, 2020, 09:49:51 PM »
His name is Guochuan Lai - if posts refer to him by his nationality then they’re being removed.

We don’t want it on here.
Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6285 on: September 14, 2020, 12:32:43 AM »
 ;D Mr Lai  you have to buy a good striker and solid mid-fielder...that will be about  40 million.

If you don't you will lose Slav and maybe 100 mill if we go down. The maths are simple.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6286 on: September 14, 2020, 05:53:37 AM »
More accurately, he was the buyer Peace had been hoping for. As I see it, Lai’s only way out, is to cut his losses.
Problem is that would result in him losing face which is equivalent to humiliation in China.
Sadly I think we are stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6287 on: September 14, 2020, 06:15:20 AM »
I think a few people on here need to grow up, transition to the Premier League was never going to be easy, blaming anyone on day one of the Premier League season just smacks of a small child throwing their toys around. :-X
Baggie in Southampton

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6288 on: September 14, 2020, 08:43:27 AM »
I think a few people on here need to grow up, transition to the Premier League was never going to be easy, blaming anyone on day one of the Premier League season just smacks of a small child throwing their toys around. :-X

I love this post. So level-headed.

Let's see how the window goes - it's actually been quite good to this point. There is work to be done but if rumours are true...

Ivanovic is as good as signed and boy do we need that experience, Connor Gallagher has "chosen us" as Baggie79 said, Krovi is expected to be done and surely a deal for Grant will eventually be made.

All of that could address the issues seen yesterday.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6289 on: September 14, 2020, 08:57:37 AM »
While there's points of this i agree with i do understand some frustration , Strikers being the obvious one .
If we are to stand any chance those purse strings need to be loose just a bit more than normal .
There are areas that needed fixing last season yet here we are on the biggest stage and its still not done.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6290 on: September 14, 2020, 09:02:54 AM »

Definitely, we have had a reality check, no bad thing !
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

NJS

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6291 on: September 14, 2020, 09:03:02 AM »
;D Mr Lai  you have to buy a good striker and solid mid-fielder...that will be about  40 million.

Sorry to be a pedant but in the far east don't they place the family name first, so we should be addressing our revered owner as Mr Guochan?  (Just asking}
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6292 on: September 14, 2020, 09:06:03 AM »
As much as I do try and stay level though - and this isn't necessarily Lai's fault - to be in the same striker situation as ever is madness. It's been a glaring weakness for a long time.

Who was the last decent striker we had? Rondon? Who did we replace him with?!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #6293 on: September 14, 2020, 09:10:07 AM »
As much as I do try and stay level though - and this isn't necessarily Lai's fault - to be in the same striker situation as ever is madness. It's been a glaring weakness for a long time.

I think this is the point of anger with many , I like Grant but why won't Dowling look out of the UK for once.
All this talk of structured deals and 50p off vouchers...the club need to get real .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6294 on: September 14, 2020, 10:18:49 AM »
Anyone know/remember what the £27m dividend took out in 2016 was for?

The Swiss Ramble are doing footy finance analytics for each club over the last 5 years in the PL

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6295 on: September 14, 2020, 10:29:31 AM »
If it was jn 2016 also possible it was something to do with Peace perhaps?

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6296 on: September 14, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
No asking for a 200 million warchest, but at least give us a competitive budget. £25 million is embarrassing for a PL club.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:16:49 AM by wba1993dave »
BOING BOING

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6297 on: September 14, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »

I thought Dwight Gayle was quite good.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Groovephil

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6298 on: September 14, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »
I thought Dwight Gayle was quite good.

I'd take him now.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6299 on: September 14, 2020, 12:57:19 PM »
I'd take him now.

Wish we’d brought him home last season. God damn shame he’s injured and out for the next 3 months at the very least ☹️