Author Topic: Fixtures 21/22  (Read 4726 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: Fixtures 21/22
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 10:01:57 AM »
Mate im talking now with this level of squad, we scraped out of the league due to Brentford bottling it, and came crashing back into it! We are (imo) a good championship team, that is capable of over achieving on a shoe string budget in the prem for a couple of years at best
The only team to establish themselves without mega bucks that are similar to the Albion is Leicester, what they have achieved is nothing short of a miracle I can't think of another similar-sized club that has established themselves in the Premiership.
The onus is always on survival which isn't much fun.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 10:07:47 AM »
The only team to establish themselves without mega bucks that are similar to the Albion is Leicester, what they have achieved is nothing short of a miracle I can't think of another similar-sized club that has established themselves in the Premiership.
I agree, although I would say Burnley and Palace are now established too but again there aim is 17th too, Championship is if nothing else exciting!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 10:09:21 AM »

is that the same Leicester that are owned by a billionaire? Apparently the owner is the 53rd richest owner of a sporting club (not just football).

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-owner-khun-top-4783399

Agree that the survival in the PL onus isn't much fun though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 10:24:58 AM »
Blackpool will be on a Friday night in January guaranteed  ;D

Tuesday night in  November - you were close though

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 10:35:53 AM »
Barnsley last game of the season! That'll be interesting if Ismael is indeed in place.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 10:45:21 AM »
is that the same Leicester that are owned by a billionaire? Apparently the owner is the 53rd richest owner of a sporting club (not just football).

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-owner-khun-top-4783399

Agree that the survival in the PL onus isn't much fun though.
Fair comment but how much was spent on the team prior to them winning the League, isn't our bloke worth  a few bob he may as well be a pauper.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2021, 11:10:47 AM »
Mate im talking now with this level of squad, we scraped out of the league due to Brentford bottling it, and came crashing back into it! We are (imo) a good championship team, that is capable of over achieving on a shoe string budget in the prem for a couple of years at best

Apologies I thought you meant historically. Good EFL team with budget to become good for automatics if spent half-wisely I'd say.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2021, 12:07:21 PM »
Fair comment but how much was spent on the team prior to them winning the League, isn't our bloke worth  a few bob he may as well be a pauper.

They took over Leicester in 2010 and they won the league in 2016. Between 2014/15 (when they came back into the league and 2018/19 they had a net transfer spend of £194M.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-leicester-citys-net-transfer-4831840

"From 2014-15, when City came back into the top flight, to 2018-19, the latest season for which financial figures have been released, City had a net transfer spend of £194m, according to numbers compiled by the football finance blog Swiss Ramble."

They appear to have spent around £100M between takeover in 2010 and winning the league in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation
"The club’s owner, the billionaire Thai businessman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, who owns his country’s duty-free company King Power, bankrolled Leicester’s rise from the Championship with more than £100m after he took over the club in 2010."

Mr Lai's wealth isn't as large as initially thought, I'm sure it's something like £200M, I think he bought the club with the help of other financial backers.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 12:11:05 PM by Hull Baggie »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 12:09:52 PM »
Bournemouth away in the sun at the start of the season.

Lets hope fans are allowed back by then as it will be a great day out

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2021, 12:24:51 PM »
Bournemouth away in the sun at the start of the season.

Lets hope fans are allowed back by then as it will be a great day out

You're right it will be a great day out if fans are allowed back in. Probably drive down, but I might get the train depending on prices.
Hopefully we'll have some new faces in key positions by then and it might be a good test of where we are as a side as Bournemouth will be expected to finish in the top 6 too.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2021, 12:27:51 PM »
You're right it will be a great day out if fans are allowed back in. Probably drive down, but I might get the train depending on prices.
Hopefully we'll have some new faces in key positions by then and it might be a good test of where we are as a side as Bournemouth will be expected to finish in the top 6 too.
There must be a pretty good chance that the date of this game will be moved by Sky to show it live?

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2021, 12:33:41 PM »
There must be a pretty good chance that the date of this game will be moved by Sky to show it live?

First game of the Championship season is usually a Friday night, so there's a high chance it'll be moved to then as the curtain raiser.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »

Yeah I'm kind of hoping that they pick either Fulham/Boro or Sheff utd/Blues..but our game does the look the more interesting.

Might have to take the Friday off work!!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »
They took over Leicester in 2010 and they won the league in 2016. Between 2014/15 (when they came back into the league and 2018/19 they had a net transfer spend of £194M.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-leicester-citys-net-transfer-4831840

"From 2014-15, when City came back into the top flight, to 2018-19, the latest season for which financial figures have been released, City had a net transfer spend of £194m, according to numbers compiled by the football finance blog Swiss Ramble."

They appear to have spent around £100M between takeover in 2010 and winning the league in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation
"The club’s owner, the billionaire Thai businessman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, who owns his country’s duty-free company King Power, bankrolled Leicester’s rise from the Championship with more than £100m after he took over the club in 2010."

Mr Lai's wealth isn't as large as initially thought, I'm sure it's something like £200M, I think he bought the club with the help of other financial backers.

Good info, so they were bankrolled compared to the Albion and other similar clubs.