Author Topic: Karlan Grant  (Read 293942 times)

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

Re: Karlan Grant
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2020, 10:34:44 AM »
Initial offer rejected.

"#wba transfer news: £12m bid for #whufc winger Grady Diangana accepted. Karlan Grant offer rejected. David Button set to join by the weekend. Krovinovic talks ongoing."

The bit in bold makes me doubt the source, as that seems insanely low.
Where is that from?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2020, 10:37:21 AM »
The bit in bold makes me doubt the source, as that seems insanely low.
Where is that from?

John Percy. Normally very reliable
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2020, 10:39:32 AM »
Yeah Percy is prpobably the man for us these days. He said its 12m but a lot in clauses on top etc which is fine for a low down payment.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2020, 10:51:05 AM »
Would love us to get Grant in as well as an option through the middle if we can get Grady in.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

kendover

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2020, 11:14:12 AM »
Heard from some guy on twitter 12m rising to 18m with addons

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2020, 11:14:50 AM »
Heard from some guy on twitter 12m rising to 18m with addons

Agreed, or that was what was rejected?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »
Wonder what the Grant offer actually was, assuming we started low with add ons.
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2020, 11:33:00 AM »
Try and get Zohore in there somehow.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »
Try and get Zohore in there somehow.

That would kill the deal Gaz !
 ;D
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2020, 12:36:19 PM »
If they have rejected the Grant offer (which was c£15m spread over three windows) we should just move on and try for another front man.
I like Grant, but he's not proven enough to be spending £15m on him, when you could probably take a gamble on two strikers from the continent for the same money. Standaman did a pretty good review of some strikers from the Bundesliga and such, and we'd be better served looking at them, than flogging this deal to death.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »
That would kill the deal Gaz !
 ;D

Hire whoever convinced our board to have him for this part

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2020, 12:59:01 PM »
If they have rejected the Grant offer (which was c£15m spread over three windows) we should just move on and try for another front man.
I like Grant, but he's not proven enough to be spending £15m on him, when you could probably take a gamble on two strikers from the continent for the same money. Standaman did a pretty good review of some strikers from the Bundesliga and such, and we'd be better served looking at them, than flogging this deal to death.

This deal will run.  Nobody will want to pay more than £15m for Grant, so it's all about how we are proposing to pay.  Personally i hope we continue to pursue the deal.  Right age, good record, price is reasonable touching high in the current market but why should they sell him on the cheap?  This aint no Wigan fire sale.  We need a goalscorer which Grant seems to be; unproven in the PL yes (i know he scored a few, but you need a full season to make a decision) but if he had a full and successful season behind him in the PL we wouldn't be able to afford him.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2020, 04:50:45 PM »
This deal will run.  Nobody will want to pay more than £15m for Grant, so it's all about how we are proposing to pay.  Personally i hope we continue to pursue the deal.  Right age, good record, price is reasonable touching high in the current market but why should they sell him on the cheap?  This aint no Wigan fire sale.  We need a goalscorer which Grant seems to be; unproven in the PL yes (i know he scored a few, but you need a full season to make a decision) but if he had a full and successful season behind him in the PL we wouldn't be able to afford him.

I'd imagine Huddersfield will be more flexible over the transfer fee the closer we get to the deadline, although that's not going to be much use to us if we have to play the first 10% of the season with our current strikers. Player power will be key, is he going to push for a move? If so, that will help massively.

Big Al

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2020, 05:11:39 PM »
Grant wants to come, all agreed his end. Just the clubs trying to find an agreement. Would expect us to play hardball over payment as usual.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2020, 06:46:50 PM »
I would imagine we are trying for 12m plus add Ons to get around the asking price.
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2020, 06:51:16 PM »
Grant wants to come, all agreed his end. Just the clubs trying to find an agreement. Would expect us to play hardball over payment as usual.
Good, we cannot overpay for him, it is a bit of a hit and hope this one.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2020, 06:58:21 PM »
Good, we cannot overpay for him, it is a bit of a hit and hope this one.

I agree, as i've said a few times this is a risky one to be paying so much. Another thing to consider is that he hasn't beem all that effective as the central striker, so with us now getting closer to a Diangana deal, we need to really consider if Grant is the right player for us.
Boing Boing

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2020, 07:07:12 PM »
Trying to price Grant.

Nothing really comparable has got done this window in England. There are a plenty of other deals for up and coming Centre Forwards with experience largely outside the top 5 leagues or relatively limited exposure at that level.

The prices for these players going to top 5 leagues start at about £5m but don't get beyond about £13m. Below that we hit Ivan Toney and above that there is a big step to players that are a lot better established e.g. Rodrigo which are in the £25m and above bracket or have broken through at an elite level and that's north of £50m.

On that basis £15m is top for Grant something closer to £10m is probably about right. Anything beyond that has to be add-ons the Diangana deal structure being the model here.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2020, 09:03:10 PM »
I agree, as i've said a few times this is a risky one to be paying so much. Another thing to consider is that he hasn't beem all that effective as the central striker, so with us now getting closer to a Diangana deal, we need to really consider if Grant is the right player for us.

He hasn't done too badly at all as a central striker in an often defensive system. Versatile with good movement but at this stage of his career the figures quoted are perhaps a little optimistic. Player with real potential though so an add ons gamble which may be worth pursuing. Not ITK but he may well be a smokescreen for another player who's more cost effective and ranked with similar abilities.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2020, 09:29:20 PM »
He hasn't done too badly at all as a central striker in an often defensive system. Versatile with good movement but at this stage of his career the figures quoted are perhaps a little optimistic. Player with real potential though so an add ons gamble which may be worth pursuing. Not ITK but he may well be a smokescreen for another player who's more cost effective and ranked with similar abilities.

I haven't seen enough of Grant to be sure, but when I have seen him he was coming from the left and Huddersfield fans keep saying he isn't a central striker, he is a wide forward. The bits of seen written suggest he hasn't been at his best through the middle.
Boing Boing

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2020, 09:35:39 PM »
I haven't seen enough of Grant to be sure, but when I have seen him he was coming from the left and Huddersfield fans keep saying he isn't a central striker, he is a wide forward. The bits of seen written suggest he hasn't been at his best through the middle.
Odemwingiesque ???  I would take that all day long
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2020, 09:42:36 PM »
I think we should hold off blowing alot of money on Grant unless we're absolutely certain that Batshuayi,or a striker of his standard, are not options. Batshuayi is a quality player who I think can take chances against the tightest Premier League defences, whereas I'm not sure about Grant. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2020, 09:52:05 PM »
I think we should hold off blowing alot of money on Grant unless we're absolutely certain that Batshuayi,or a striker of his standard, are not options. Batshuayi is a quality player who I think can take chances against the tightest Premier League defences, whereas I'm not sure about Grant.

Let’s hope we are after both Grant and Batshuayi - one striker isn’t going to be enough.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2020, 09:53:30 PM »
Let’s hope we are after both Grant and Batshuayi - one striker isn’t going to be enough.
Blimey optimistic or what ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2020, 09:54:46 PM »

I think it depends on how a central striker's role is perceived. Target man or as an integral part of a fluid attack. Although he can play in all three forward positions I believe the majority of his performances have been from a central start whilst able and willing to pull wide when the need arises.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.