Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 676290 times)

geoff

• WBA Coach

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »
He proved he could take crosses and command today and that's what he should be doing every week. Hopefully the coaching is working. He was solid today and it helps when he wasn't being asked to play about at the back

Ah that what i said ???

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2019, 09:45:28 PM »
Received a lot of stick this season some of it justified however he’s been steady these past couple of games, the save against Forest was top draw at a really crucial stage, he was also out quickly for the Abraham chance which was another superb bit of keeping. Keep it up Sam

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
I say it again to Sam's critics "Come-on lets be avin you" Abraham scores 1-0 who knows where that takes us?

I've been VERY critical of Sam since his arrival and i'm still not convinced just yet BUT his performance against the Villa was brilliant, 2 very good saves, came for crosses etc - Needs to be doing it consistently every week though, not just every 1 in 10 weeks
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2019, 12:53:37 PM »
He is getting better and is still to reach his prime years as a keeper. Bond has done well when he's played but I feel that Sam has the edge overall. Needs to dominate the box more on crosses etc but will get there.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
I have consistently defended Johnstone, I think he has shown signs of improvement, how much of that is because of improved defensive performance is hard to say, Foster played behind a solid defence even when we got relegated, with the signing of Holgate and the removal of Bartley the defence is suddenly much improved.

Johnstone is very rarely at fault for goals and regularly makes superb saves, he is not the complete keeper but neither is he the liability some have suggested, overall, he is doing quite well I think.
Baggie in Southampton

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #255 on: February 19, 2019, 09:54:41 PM »
Much improved again. Starting to command his box more, collecting crosses with ease. Keep it up Sam.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #256 on: February 19, 2019, 10:27:19 PM »
Much improved again. Starting to command his box more, collecting crosses with ease. Keep it up Sam.
Still stays too much on his line for me

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #257 on: February 19, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »
STeps in the right direction though. He is slowly improving, especially compared to before xmas.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #258 on: February 19, 2019, 10:46:00 PM »
Still stays too much on his line for me

Much better tonight. That corner he took when he kicked it out and their GK handballed it outside his box was class.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2019, 10:48:04 PM »
Much better tonight. That corner he took when he kicked it out and their GK handballed it outside his box was class.
Missed by the ref and his assistant...WHY?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #260 on: February 19, 2019, 10:48:52 PM »
MOst obvious handball i've seen in ages. Their penalty looked dubious from the single angle i've seen too.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #261 on: February 19, 2019, 10:52:06 PM »
Their pen was worse than dubious, never a pen in a million years, QPR player didn't even appeal for it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #262 on: February 19, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »
Overall i think we can all agree they deserved the late shafting then  ;D

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #263 on: February 19, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »
MOst obvious handball i've seen in ages. Their penalty looked dubious from the single angle i've seen too.
Says it all

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #264 on: February 19, 2019, 11:07:01 PM »
Beaten far too easily at his near post again tonight. Still not convinced or confident with him as number one

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #265 on: February 19, 2019, 11:21:28 PM »
Beaten far too easily at his near post again tonight. Still not convinced or confident with him as number one

Can't agree with that. Have another look at their first goal. Freedman could have gone either side, Johnson had to protect all of his goal, it wasn't a particularly tight angle and Freedman to his credit slammed it in off his post, he had no chance. I thought he was poor against Boro but played well against Forest (vital save at 2-1 down), Villa and tonight.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #266 on: February 19, 2019, 11:30:45 PM »
Id have Dawson down as far more culpable for the first goal. Made no effort at all to close down a shot. Instead he seemed to be holding back to block a cross, the immediate danger was from freeman, he didn’t even try to deal with it.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #267 on: February 19, 2019, 11:36:09 PM »
Doesn't seem to save anything remotely difficult, I feel like the oppo are going to score everytime they get a decent shot on target.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #268 on: February 19, 2019, 11:43:42 PM »
Doesn't seem to save anything remotely difficult, I feel like the oppo are going to score everytime they get a decent shot on target.

The save against Forest when we were 2-1 down was incredible and having played well tonight, at Villa and in our last home game your post is unfair. He played poorly against Boro and I criticised him. It's only reasonable to credit him for his improvement since. We'd kept three clean sheets in a row away from home before tonight. No chance with either goals QPR got.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #269 on: February 19, 2019, 11:46:35 PM »
How was he was supposed to cover the whole of the goal, with the scorer seven yards out and unchallenged by defenders?
As others have noted, Dawson was slow to cover the play and SJ was beaten off the post. IMO a good finish, not poor goalkeeping.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #270 on: February 19, 2019, 11:47:56 PM »
Can't agree with that. Have another look at their first goal. Freedman could have gone either side, Johnson had to protect all of his goal, it wasn't a particularly tight angle and Freedman to his credit slammed it in off his post, he had no chance. I thought he was poor against Boro but played well against Forest (vital save at 2-1 down), Villa and tonight.

I think he’s got to be expecting the shot to go there after the player takes it wider than the six yard box. He’s again dived after the shot and as a former keeper myself I’d be disappointed with that going in against me.

Other than the two goals and a couple of routine catches I didn’t see anything eye catching that he did tonight to warrant him having a good game in particular tonight.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2019, 11:48:08 PM »

Harsh imo, has made a few decent saves in recent games.

Although not an amazing save they had a decent effort at the near post in the second half which he dealt with tonight - it's not like everything goes past him.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #272 on: February 19, 2019, 11:49:36 PM »
How was he was supposed to cover the whole of the goal, with the scorer seven yards out and unchallenged by defenders?
As others have noted, Dawson was slow to cover the play and SJ was beaten off the post. IMO a good finish, not poor goalkeeping.

Like most keepers. Close the angle down and keep your near post covered, forcing the striker across you. He did neither and gave their player both sides to aim at, and was beaten at his near post.

Also didn’t dive for their penalty which is rule 1 really.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:57:42 PM by TheBrom »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #273 on: February 19, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »
The save against Forest when we were 2-1 down was incredible and having played well tonight, at Villa and in our last home game your post is unfair. He played poorly against Boro and I criticised him. It's only reasonable to credit him for his improvement since. We'd kept three clean sheets in a row away from home before tonight. No chance with either goals QPR got.

Really I don't recall you adopting this charitable stance with Sal; I thought the Grabban chance was a very bad miss and was close enough to Sam that he could reasonably expect to stop it.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #274 on: February 19, 2019, 11:57:33 PM »
I think he’s got to be expecting the shot to go there after the player takes it wider than the six yard box. He’s again dived after the shot and as a former keeper myself I’d be disappointed with that going in against me.

Other than the two goals and a couple of routine catches I didn’t see anything eye catching that he did tonight to warrant him having a good game in particular tonight.
I have the recording playing as I type this, and you are plain wrong. The scorer did not take the ball wide and SJ did NOT dive after the shot. His hand nearly reached the shot, but it was hit far too powerfully for him to stop it.