Author Topic: OFFICIAL EUROPEAN FOOTBALL THREAD  (Read 97721 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

OFFICIAL EUROPEAN FOOTBALL THREAD
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:54:00 PM »
Sorry if there is already a thread for European football, however having searched I can’t find one.

La Liga and Bundesliga’s 2019-20 season’s started tonight. Barcelona lost to A.Bilbao in the dying minutes as 38 year old Aritz Aduriz, in his final season scored an over head kick.

Over in Germany, Union Berlin, who’s club colours I often see abroad, start their first season in the Bundesliga tomorrow. Really hope they can stay up as East German sides have struggled since the fall of the wall.

Bayern drew 2-2 vs Hertha Berlin tonight. Dode Lukebakio became only the third player to score 4 goals at the Allianz Arerna vs Bayern (not in the same game I should add).

Trivia time - Christiano Ronaldo was the second player to reach that “landmark”. Which WBA reject was the first?
Boing Boing

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

Re: OFFICIAL EUROPEAN FOOTBALL THREAD
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:58:59 PM »
Sorry if there is already a thread for European football, however having searched I can’t find one.

La Liga and Bundesliga’s 2019-20 season’s started tonight. Barcelona lost to A.Bilbao in the dying minutes as 38 year old Aritz Aduriz, in his final season scored an over head kick.

Over in Germany, Union Berlin, who’s club colours I often see abroad, start their first season in the Bundesliga tomorrow. Really hope they can stay up as East German sides have struggled since the fall of the wall.

Bayern drew 2-2 vs Hertha Berlin tonight. Dode Lukebakio became only the third player to score 4 goals at the Allianz Arerna vs Bayern (not in the same game I should add).

Trivia time - Christiano Ronaldo was the second player to reach that “landmark”. Which WBA reject was the first?

Rosenberg?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 11:02:30 PM »
Rosenberg?

No second guesses needed.

Saw it on Twitter. Made me chuckle.
Boing Boing

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 02:05:54 PM »
Serge Gnabry - OG's ??
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 11:10:05 PM »
Great story over in Belfast, where David Healy's Linfield beat Azerbajani money bags Qarabag 3-2. A late Qarabag penalty probably kills Linfield's chances of reaching the group stages as they probably needed the 2 goal cushion, but it's still a great night for NI club football and Shamrock Rovers did get past Partizan around a decade ago to reach the groups.

On a more general point, it is a shame the 2 Irish leagues aren't joined together. I know itnis impossible for a number of reasons but I think it would become a half decent league, potentially on a par with Scotland.
Boing Boing

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »
Krychowiak has scored in Champs league for Locomotive  :o :o :o :o
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 10:30:55 AM »

Read somewhere he's banged in either five or six in all competitions for them so far this season.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 10:00:20 PM »
Read somewhere he's banged in either five or six in all competitions for them so far this season.
Yep
Last nights was the seventh of the season
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 08:49:59 AM »
Martin Braithwaite: Why have Barcelona signed a Middlesbrough flop?

Barcelona taking full advantage of the rules once again!

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51576625

Footnote
"La Liga strugglers Leganes are furious Barcelona were allowed to sign Denmark forward Martin Braithwaite, 28, outside the transfer window, and hope they will be granted the same permission to sign a striker"
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:53:10 AM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 10:28:31 PM »
Am I missing something here? Leganes accepted an offer of €18 million for a 28 year old journeyman forward who they paid a rumoured €5 million for 6 months ago (likely less), and they are “furious”. Why did they accept the offer then?

I think this is theatrics by Leganes in the hope they get to spend some of the money they have received.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 10:46:50 PM »
They didn't accept the offer it was his buyout clause so they couldn't refuse.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:51:41 PM by gazberg »

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 11:12:59 PM »

I believe in Spain a player has to have a buy out, which is why you hear of 300-400m euro buyout clauses.

They absolutely should be able to spend as Barca have just transferred the problem to them. However they potentially pass on the issue again so where does it end.

I love watching Barca, but it was their problem and shouldn’t have been allowed to sign anyone. Keepers aside you should have to field a kid if you don’t have a senior pro.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 02:12:38 AM »

Not surprised, he is a class act. We just didn’t know how to use him to his strengths
MAGA!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 02:00:31 PM »

Ahh fair enough, makes more sense. Even so, secretly they must be quite happy getting such a huge sum for a player like Braithwaite. If La Liga/FIFA allow them to make a new signing (as they should) then Leganes are the winners
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 02:07:44 PM »
Ahh fair enough, makes more sense. Even so, secretly they must be quite happy getting such a huge sum for a player like Braithwaite. If La Liga/FIFA allow them to make a new signing (as they should) then Leganes are the winners

If it had happened when the window is open then yes but they are saying because the windows closed what are they meant to do now? They are bottom but one.

Barcelona have been given approval to pass their problem onto someone else and that party has then been denied the chance to do the same.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 11:25:20 AM »
Ahh fair enough, makes more sense. Even so, secretly they must be quite happy getting such a huge sum for a player like Braithwaite............

The money isn't much use to Leganes if the terms of payment are in line with Barcelona's usual 'manyana' plan though.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 11:02:38 PM »
Man City beat Real Madrid at the Bernabeu. I quietly fancy City to win the champs league this year. Nothing to play for now in the league, no European football next year but still one of the best teams in the world. Perfect storm.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 01:34:54 PM »
Club Brugge are to be awarded their Belgian League title. 15 points clear with 1 game to go but then due to go into that daft top 6 mini league.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2020, 04:24:52 PM »
Club Brugge are to be awarded their Belgian League title. 15 points clear with 1 game to go

LMAO. I'd love to see someone dream up that collapse.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 04:26:15 PM »
Yeah my thoughts exactly :D 

I was told that once the season is finished that the top 6 go into a mini league and then whoever wins that is the 'REAL' champion. Bonkers. This year they have sensibly decided to pass on that.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »
That’s stupid , I wondered why they only had one game left to play in the middle of March .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 04:50:52 PM »
As they only play 30 games in the normal league i think this mini tourney is a way of extending and fill the season gaps but i'd be annoyed if i was in a team that won the season handily then lost the play offs.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 06:29:33 PM »

LMAO. I'd love to see someone dream up that collapse.

I think it's an every day waking nightmare for Spurs fans.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 10:26:00 AM »
In the transfer news on Twitter today Alan Nixon had a piece on a lad going to Germany to join somebody which didn't interest me but said that Bundesliga clubs are now resuming training so fairly confident of reus in g season within 2 months tops I'd think in Germany.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »
The Stade de Reims club doctor Bernard Gonzalez committed suicide after contracting COVID-19...

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/football/atteint-du-covid-19-le-medecin-du-stade-de-reims-s-est-suicide-05-04-2020-8294481.php

It seems he kept the news from the club and his action may have been due to the potential shame or stigma...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion