Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 267214 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #975 on: April 23, 2021, 07:39:58 AM »
Forgot the F1.

I suppose they do also have full horse racing coverage too.
The biggest meetings are on ITV though, Cheltenham, Ascot, Grand National etc.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #976 on: April 23, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »
I recorded the Benn fight and decided to watch it the other night. Did anyone see the Shannon Courtenay v Ebanie Hughes fight? What a scrap and very easy to watch :)

Courtenay is a great example of how to turn your life around. A wild child at 19, smoking drinking and partying. A spell in hospital and the obvious health warning and she turned to boxing. Became World Welterweight champion on the 10th.....
MAGA!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #977 on: April 23, 2021, 08:22:07 PM »
I recorded the Benn fight and decided to watch it the other night. Did anyone see the Shannon Courtenay v Ebanie Hughes fight? What a scrap and very easy to watch :)

Courtenay is a great example of how to turn your life around. A wild child at 19, smoking drinking and partying. A spell in hospital and the obvious health warning and she turned to boxing. Became World Welterweight champion on the 10th.....

Is she the one who lost to Rachel Ball?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #978 on: April 23, 2021, 08:53:42 PM »
The biggest meetings are on ITV though, Cheltenham, Ascot, Grand National etc.

They have free to air on Sky from a number of racecourses. The others are on subscription channel Racing TV.

Most of the top races are on ITV as you rightly point out, at least UK based races.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #979 on: April 24, 2021, 07:51:49 AM »
Is she the one who lost to Rachel Ball?

She is Liam, but Ball is recovering from Covid so she took the fight.
MAGA!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #980 on: May 09, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
Great to see Canelo beat BJS even if it was expected.  Canelo might be a drugs cheat but he’s a wonderful fighter. BJS has ability but is just a horrible human.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #981 on: May 09, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »
Great to see Canelo beat BJS even if it was expected.  Canelo might be a drugs cheat but he’s a wonderful fighter. BJS has ability but is just a horrible human.

I thought Billy Joe was doing well at the time, definitely had him winning the middle rounds. Then Canelo caught him with a right that looks like it broke Saunders eye and he couldn't see after that. Retired on his stool.

He put up a better effort than Callum Smith did against Canelo anyway.

Canelo is hard as iron.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #982 on: May 09, 2021, 12:57:46 PM »
I thought Billy Joe was doing well at the time, definitely had him winning the middle rounds. Then Canelo caught him with a right that looks like it broke Saunders eye and he couldn't see after that. Retired on his stool.

He put up a better effort than Callum Smith did against Canelo anyway.

Canelo is hard as iron.

BJS was doing well enough I agree, but it always felt like Canelo was going to step up a gear and finish the fight.  The only way BJS could win was points and while watching I never felt he was going to last the distance.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #983 on: May 09, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »
Canelo stepped up a gear and BJS was not able to handle it. Great fighter but has to have everything his own way, that is my problem with him.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #984 on: May 16, 2021, 08:26:14 PM »
Looks like Fury v Joshua is on 14th August in Saudi Arabia. Can’t wait!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #985 on: May 17, 2021, 09:04:53 AM »
Looks like Fury v Joshua is on 14th August in Saudi Arabia. Can’t wait!

The fight should be at Wembley - not in some Oil Sheiks back garden, but money talks sadly.......
MAGA!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #986 on: May 23, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »
If you get the chance watch a re run of Taylor/ Ramirez fight
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #987 on: May 28, 2021, 01:35:18 PM »
I've just watched the Wilder / Fury 2nd fight for the first time although I did listen on live radio
Apart from a contractual obligation, God knows why 3 fights allowed, I know money talks, but.
Tyson hammered Wilder twice, how can the boxing authorities allow another when the same result will happen?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #988 on: May 28, 2021, 01:36:49 PM »
I've just watched the Wilder / Fury 2nd fight for the first time although I did listen on live radio
Apart from a contractual obligation, God knows why 3 fights allowed, I know money talks, but.
Tyson hammered Wilder twice, how can the boxing authorities allow another when the same result will happen?

You've answered your own question,  to not go ahead with the 3rd fight would breach the contract signed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #989 on: May 28, 2021, 10:20:41 PM »
I still don't get it
The best of 3?
Crazy idea

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #990 on: August 07, 2021, 08:32:22 AM »
Big respect to Galal, gold medal at olympic games.
Thanks to Frank and Rob
What a fantastic team at BCBC
I had the honour to train at that club when I was younger so proud of my connection

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #991 on: August 07, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »
What has come through his just how well liked Galal is. Steve Bunce broke down in tears on the radio at him winning.
Boing Boing

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #992 on: August 07, 2021, 03:43:02 PM »
Yes I know what you mean
His 2 brothers are modest lads, well mannered and brought up
Also, boxing does teach you certain respects

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #993 on: September 22, 2021, 04:07:18 PM »
Joshua v Usyk this weekend.

Got a funny feeling Usyk will win this, he is an excellent fighter and anyone who has beaten Bellew gets my attention. I know its a step up in weight but this guy is no mug. I hope AJ is on his A game or else it could be a long road back.
MAGA!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #994 on: September 22, 2021, 05:48:35 PM »
Yeah it's an intriguing fight. Usyk is very capable and despite a size disadvantage could turn out to be a major player at heavyweight in the same as Holyfield was. Usyk's accuracy and hooks saw off Bellew. I hope Joshua doesn't catch the sort of hook that Ruiz produced i.e. the temple shot.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #995 on: September 22, 2021, 06:45:51 PM »
Joshua v Usyk this weekend.

Got a funny feeling Usyk will win this, he is an excellent fighter and anyone who has beaten Bellew gets my attention. I know its a step up in weight but this guy is no mug. I hope AJ is on his A game or else it could be a long road back.

Got a great chance. To me there is something not right with AJ. Not been the same after his fight with Klitschko.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #996 on: September 22, 2021, 07:57:11 PM »
I don’t think Usyk will beat him.

He has a fighter chance, but the difference in bang from a cruiser weight to open weight is as big as it ever has been. Chisora took Usyk the distance and I’ve no doubt Joshua would lay chisora out.

The Ruiz experience will have knocked some complacency out of Joshua and I’d back him to finish this before the scorecards.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #997 on: September 23, 2021, 08:22:55 PM »
I think Usyk could win it. I really like Joshua and I think he is one of the most exciting heavyweights for years, but he has looked a bit low key for a while now. Uysk hasn’t been incredible since moving up to heavyweight but he is unbeaten for a reason and now he has had his Heavyweight tune up’s, I think he could shock Joshua.

Still hoping for the Joshua v Fury British heavyweight super fight and hoping it will have all of the titles, but Uysk will be dangerous.
Boing Boing

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #998 on: September 23, 2021, 10:33:15 PM »
Hey Baggies, I'm afraid I don't agree with you on this one, I don't think that Joshua is exciting at all, he a bit too nicely nicely you know a little bit too smooth.
I think he'll scrape a win but. Mr. Fury will knock him spark out I think.
Fury has charisma and he will despatch Wilder the overrated big mouth, he's a one trick pony and Fury will deck him
Good to see this division back though I'm looking forward to these next 2 fights.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #999 on: September 25, 2021, 08:29:53 PM »
Just seen possibly the worst decision in boxing in the last few years. Martinez beatup Hatton for the entire fight, showboating as he was so so far ahead. No judges just the paid ref and guess what? It was a joke decision and all the crowd booed. Joke
Gera, Gera, Gera