Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 335096 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #2150 on: July 26, 2021, 05:28:42 PM »
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2151 on: July 26, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »
Azaz officially signed for Villa and loaned out immediately. Rumour is they are going to sell him at end of his first year there to turn a profit.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2152 on: July 26, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »
I really do think the Azaz signing is psychological. A look at us, we will look after the boys we’ve known since they were little.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2153 on: July 26, 2021, 08:35:05 PM »
Azaz loaned out to Newport County
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 06:15:17 AM by elmo_in_swansea »
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2154 on: July 26, 2021, 08:37:20 PM »
Aziz loaned out to Newport County
...and County manager Flynn thanks Villa for their cooperation...no doubt keeping things very sweet for similar signings in future.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2155 on: July 26, 2021, 08:40:40 PM »
So he’s gone to play at the same level as last season , hope he’s happy !! ??? ???
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2156 on: July 27, 2021, 03:34:29 AM »
They are a much bigger club than us and.that is why they are leaving it is not rocket science.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2157 on: July 27, 2021, 08:01:07 AM »
They are a much bigger club than us and.that is why they are leaving it is not rocket science.
....and a richer club who will be offering more money in their contract offers. Don't know what proportion of his wage Newport would be paying.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2158 on: July 27, 2021, 10:43:58 AM »
The club has tweeted this morning that Callum Morton has joined Fleetwood Town on loan for the season.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2159 on: July 27, 2021, 10:49:46 AM »
I just don't get the whole Azaz thing. He went to Cheltenham last year did okay but hardly tore up trees. Fine he might have taken a stride forward and now be ready to play at a higher level so we might have lost a bit of a useful player to Villa. Everyone gets into a bit of a lather over this and less than a week latter off he goes to League Two Newport County for the season.

Does anybody think after another season in League Two he's going to be the next big thing at Villa?  I'm utterly perplexed as to why Villa signed him.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2160 on: July 27, 2021, 11:07:26 AM »
Villa signed him because it's part of a wider strategic thing to pick away at their main academy geographical rival.i wouldn't be shocked if they hope we eventually downgrade to Class B or whatever its called which then gives them total control of the region.
Boing Boing

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2161 on: July 27, 2021, 12:31:56 PM »
Getting a bit past a joke, but I don't know what the answer is. Try and get the rules tightened at national level to stop poaching youngsters? Or get better compensation paid? Its a bit sad if these kids are Albion fans as well.
We need the Academy to work for the club even more, given the club's financial constraints and the restrictions on recruiting from overseas after Brexit.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2162 on: July 27, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »
Villa signed him because it's part of a wider strategic thing to pick away at their main academy geographical rival.i wouldn't be shocked if they hope we eventually downgrade to Class B or whatever its called which then gives them total control of the region.

Agree completely. The Azaz move is strategic / tactical. Azaz has probably got a little bit more money than he would of done with us, and Villa are probably going to pay at bit more for him than theyd like but I think it they will think its worth it for the statements they are making.

In the past few months Villa have taken players from us, Fleetwood, Bristol, Peterborough and Bournemouth, perhaps more. 

You can't place restrictions on the players, so the associations need to place restrictions on the teams.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2163 on: July 27, 2021, 12:53:27 PM »
Agree completely. The Azaz move is strategic / tactical. Azaz has probably got a little bit more money than he would of done with us, and Villa are probably going to pay at bit more for him than theyd like but I think it they will think its worth it for the statements they are making.

In the past few months Villa have taken players from us, Fleetwood, Bristol, Peterborough and Bournemouth, perhaps more. 

You can't place restrictions on the players, so the associations need to place restrictions on the teams.

I was under the impression clubs could only recruit from within 90 minutes of their training ground? No idea where I have that idea, though

He/him

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2164 on: July 27, 2021, 01:01:03 PM »
I was under the impression clubs could only recruit from within 90 minutes of their training ground? No idea where I have that idea, though

Its only an hour but its only up until under 12's!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2165 on: July 27, 2021, 01:05:09 PM »

Sorry, you were right. It goes up to 90 mins from 13-16. No restrictions from 16 onwards.

That in itself is a joke, you can have kid for 10 years then when they are 16 for 12 months you have very little protection and any club in the country can come in.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:16:35 PM by johnny Cash »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2166 on: July 27, 2021, 01:14:53 PM »

This has more to do with their wage budget than their inter galactic immensity. I agree on your latter point though, it's not rocket science.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 01:17:27 PM by SmethDan »
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2167 on: July 27, 2021, 02:04:59 PM »
I wouldnt be panicking too much over this, the ex Albion staff at Villa are picking players they know, have worked with before and rate.

However as said before, they create a very comfortable environment, out our so called future stars - Field, Roberts, Leko, Edwards, Harper and O’shea, only Roberts has gone to better things, O’Shea is a regular for us, the rest have flattered to deceive. (I dont include Ferguson as he was on his way out until Bilic spotted something)

All the above players were at one stage or another going to be our next big thing when they were 15, 16 or 17 and no fulfilled their potential, they all had opportunities (some could of maybe had more) but personally i wasnt devastated any of them have left as they were never regulars.

Villa have spent a lot of money getting players from elsewhere, the ex Albion staff need to up their game to get those players ready for first team football and not too comfortable like they did with us, if they do that then fair play, but if they dont i expect there will be a major revamp in a few years at Villa with those there now out of work.

Villa are desperate to play catchup locally and do like Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool do, the difference is they sell players from their academies for a lot of money, i think giving them  free transfers, £500k from Ipswich one year (Harper),  £750k from Blues (Leko) another year wont be enough, the pressure is very much on for the Albion old boys working there now.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2168 on: July 27, 2021, 02:36:31 PM »
I wouldnt be panicking too much over this, the ex Albion staff at Villa are picking players they know, have worked with before and rate.

However as said before, they create a very comfortable environment, out our so called future stars - Field, Roberts, Leko, Edwards, Harper and O’shea, only Roberts has gone to better things, O’Shea is a regular for us, the rest have flattered to deceive. (I dont include Ferguson as he was on his way out until Bilic spotted something)

All the above players were at one stage or another going to be our next big thing when they were 15, 16 or 17 and no fulfilled their potential, they all had opportunities (some could of maybe had more) but personally i wasnt devastated any of them have left as they were never regulars.

Villa have spent a lot of money getting players from elsewhere, the ex Albion staff need to up their game to get those players ready for first team football and not too comfortable like they did with us, if they do that then fair play, but if they dont i expect there will be a major revamp in a few years at Villa with those there now out of work.

Villa are desperate to play catchup locally and do like Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool do, the difference is they sell players from their academies for a lot of money, i think giving them  free transfers, £500k from Ipswich one year (Harper),  £750k from Blues (Leko) another year wont be enough, the pressure is very much on for the Albion old boys working there now.
Kemar Roofe is doing ok, yes it scotland but he is a big fish in that pond now.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2169 on: July 29, 2021, 01:27:22 PM »
Tim Iroegbunam officially signed for the Vile as expected.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2170 on: July 29, 2021, 01:28:26 PM »
The daily entering of this thread...

The daily Villa signing of our academy players..  ::)

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2171 on: July 29, 2021, 01:30:07 PM »
The daily entering of this thread...

The daily Villa signing of our academy players..  ::)

Cannot blame them sadly. Will take years for the Academy to recover.

NJS

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2172 on: July 29, 2021, 02:28:03 PM »
Academy-wise- the Vile seem to have ambition to monopolise the entire West midlands area leaving nothing for Albion.  They have poached our coaches and now our best prospects.  I can't see how we can stop this given their money and status.  They are openly going for our academy assets.

Should we either let our academy dwindle to nothing or fish in further waters (Gloucester, Mid-Wales, South West maybe north Staffs) or give the academy up and turn to Moneyball type stats as Brentford (in a similar position vis a vis Chelsea) have?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2173 on: July 29, 2021, 02:40:42 PM »
Academy-wise- the Vile seem to have ambition to monopolise the entire West midlands area leaving nothing for Albion.  They have poached our coaches and now our best prospects.  I can't see how we can stop this given their money and status.  They are openly going for our academy assets.

Should we either let our academy dwindle to nothing or fish in further waters (Gloucester, Mid-Wales, South West maybe north Staffs) or give the academy up and turn to Moneyball type stats as Brentford (in a similar position vis a vis Chelsea) have?

I’d seriously consider scrapping it I think. I don’t know if I would go through with us, but a Cat A academy has running costs of between £3-5m per year.

What would it look like if we just spent £5m per year taking between 5-10 of the better 16 year old from other academies.  It would reduce opportunities for local kids and **** off other academies but maybe it would help force the authorities to do something.

Baltic

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2174 on: July 29, 2021, 02:41:11 PM »
Maybe Villa are trying to increase their junior shirt sales :)

I think they missed our best young player in keeper Griffiths, as thank goodness he signed a new long term deal.  The rest are so far very speculative acquisitions, except Barry, who does look good at this stage.

Hopefully VI's use of academy talent will encourage others to stay and back themselves.  The ones that chase the money rarely make it in the end. Think Sinclair, Brown, Dhanda for example.