Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640304 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1925 on: May 01, 2021, 11:54:46 AM »
A suggestion - keep them both next year. 20 plus games each. Each knows there is an element of competition there plus either can be taken out of the firing line at any time. There are also the PL2 games available. If come January one is clearly doing better, then can maybe send the other one out on loan at that stage.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1926 on: May 01, 2021, 12:01:24 PM »
It’s Palmer coming back for me, and Griffiths doing a season in league 1.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1927 on: May 01, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »
Unless the player is exceptional at this (Ederson), it doesn't seem to make much difference imo. Alisson, Lloris, De Gea no better than average with the ball at their feet.

Personally I agree, I think a goalkeeper should be there primarily to keep the ball out of the net and the rest is academic, but more and more there is an expectation for top keepers to be up to a certain standard with their distribution as well - atleast from those close to the game. Football analytics types seems to be stressing more and more that it is important and clubs do seem to be moving towards using analytics now.

Ederson is the obvious one, but Allison does rate highly on a lot of the metrics like accurate passing percentages and players like Lloris and Schmeichel do ok. De Gea seems to be the exception.

For the top clubs at the very least, it seems to be an important skill.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1928 on: May 01, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »
It’s Palmer coming back for me, and Griffiths doing a season in league 1.

Same for me, Palmer deserves his chance while Griffiths has the perfect league 1 loan available to him.
Boing Boing

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1929 on: May 01, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
Re Griffiths and his footwork skills....it may be correct this opinion from some Cheltenham fans or it could be exaggerated.

Given the amount of talk about the importance of goalkeepers being able to pass etc. which has gone on for 3 or 4 years now, especially since Pep arrived at City and the Joe Hart situation, I'd be astonished if any young keepers with any ambition wouldn't have been working extensively on that part of the game in recent years. As Glen Hoddle sometimes says all you need is a ball and a wall and you can work in isolation at improving your skills.

Surely any keeper on professional terms must have half decent hand eye coordination which should translate to being able to be comfortable with the ball at your feet. In short it shouldn't be impossible for Griffiths to improve on this aspect of his game over the next couple of years. Also, any goalkeeping coach worth his salt should see this as one of the important aspects of a players development in the modern game.

Blandy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1930 on: May 01, 2021, 03:42:35 PM »
Quick update,  Teixeira fans can breath again. Apparently on the back of recent performances he's been offered a one year pro deal.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1931 on: May 01, 2021, 04:17:42 PM »
Quick update,  Teixeira fans can breath again. Apparently on the back of recent performances he's been offered a one year pro deal.

Nice one, cheers for the update.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1932 on: May 01, 2021, 04:31:45 PM »
Re Griffiths and his footwork skills....it may be correct this opinion from some Cheltenham fans or it could be exaggerated.

Given the amount of talk about the importance of goalkeepers being able to pass etc. which has gone on for 3 or 4 years now, especially since Pep arrived at City and the Joe Hart situation, I'd be astonished if any young keepers with any ambition wouldn't have been working extensively on that part of the game in recent years. As Glen Hoddle sometimes says all you need is a ball and a wall and you can work in isolation at improving your skills.

Surely any keeper on professional terms must have half decent hand eye coordination which should translate to being able to be comfortable with the ball at your feet. In short it shouldn't be impossible for Griffiths to improve on this aspect of his game over the next couple of years. Also, any goalkeeping coach worth his salt should see this as one of the important aspects of a players development in the modern game.

Well I don't suppose the Sams will be getting the keepers and centre backs to be going through triangle passing drills any time soon. I wonder whether Graeme Jones ever did. Given his favoured approach to the game it would have been a criminal oversight not to have done so.

What he saw of this on a match day should have been enough to tell him it was a bad idea with the personnel to hand. If this was witnessed on a near daily basis in training too then Jones should have been slapped all the way back to Martinez and the Belgian national team.

And no, I am not clearing Darren Moore of fault.....

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1933 on: May 01, 2021, 05:11:03 PM »

Cheers Blandy. Like the look of this lad, reminiscent of a Claudio Jacob type. Interesting to see how he develops

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1934 on: May 05, 2021, 10:33:48 PM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned but....FA Youth Cup semi v Villa is Friday May 14th 6pm, probably on BT.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/fa-youth-cup-semi-final-date-confirmed

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1935 on: May 06, 2021, 09:03:28 AM »
Pity this will probably be screened via subscription. Oh well, there's always the highlights. COYB and SOTV  8) .

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1936 on: May 09, 2021, 11:07:40 AM »
Just noticed highly rated Harry Williams is going to Villa. I wonder what has gone on there.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1937 on: May 09, 2021, 11:20:14 AM »
Just noticed highly rated Harry Williams is going to Villa. I wonder what has gone on there.
Read a while back he was being released to be fair , think he was going to Blackburn or Burnley for a trial .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1938 on: May 09, 2021, 12:02:31 PM »
Yeah Williams was released.

Hes been at Burnley on trial now he's going to Villa. I think that is initially a trial as well, with Burnley still showing some interest in him.

I've only seen him play once. Looked distinctly average to me. Not fair to judge on one game though really. 

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1939 on: May 09, 2021, 12:08:42 PM »
Williams wasn't in the youth cup squad so I am guessing we think we have better prospects at Centre Back.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1940 on: May 09, 2021, 03:16:14 PM »
Zak Brown also had a trial with Villa prior to his release this summer.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1941 on: May 10, 2021, 01:25:36 PM »
Grosicki making a rare appearance in the stiffs today. The rest are the usual under 23s.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1942 on: May 10, 2021, 04:04:52 PM »
Young lads won 3-2, double from Tulloch and 1 from Harmon

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1943 on: May 10, 2021, 04:37:21 PM »
Grosicki making a rare appearance in the stiffs today. The rest are the usual under 23s.

It’s going a bit off topic I know, but whenever I see anyone get excited online about the potential of England’s current crop of players, the usual suspects come out with the whole “oh, here they go again” blah.

Then I look at Grosicki, the starting winger for the 8th seed in the European championship draw, playing with our youth team.

It justifies getting hopeful.
Boing Boing

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1944 on: May 10, 2021, 04:41:42 PM »
Tulloch & Grosicki both better than HRK!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1945 on: May 11, 2021, 11:43:59 AM »
Tyrese Dyce (20 year old winger) is supposedly having a trial with Sunderland in hopes of a move.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1946 on: May 11, 2021, 12:08:51 PM »
Shame, Dyce had captained the side in the past from what I remember. Still, at 20 it’s only right to let him go rather than letting him stagnate.
Boing Boing

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1947 on: May 14, 2021, 08:46:00 AM »
The FA Youth Cup Semi Final is at 6pm Today on BT Sport 2 for anyone that's interested.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1948 on: May 14, 2021, 03:16:50 PM »
is it still a two legged event?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach