Author Topic: Atmosphere at Home Games  (Read 5020 times)

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

Atmosphere at Home Games
« on: April 01, 2024, 08:15:41 PM »
A frustrating game today, for sure. The performance, like the first half of Millwall, wasn't anywhere near the level, with the majority of the XI nowhere near their best.

However, I am finding it really difficult with large sections of 'fans' around my seat. I appreciate that the Albion can be a place to let off some steam from a week at work; and when there is time to give criticism at games, I'm one of the first. With our superb home record, I get the impression people just turn up and expect us to win, but teams like Watford are littered with Premier League players - they just lack consistency.

BTA has huge limitations as a footballer and he should have buried that one in the first half. Yet, even after he scored an excellent goal to get us back in the game, when he misplaced a simple ball, there were people swearing and screaming for him to be taken off. I'm also no Adam Reach fan but to boo an Albion player coming on, when we're 5th in the league? I find it really difficult to sit and listen to. Funnily enough, he actually played quite well.

Wondering if I am the only one here?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 04:40:26 PM by CL3MO »

albion59

• Senior Baggie

Re: Atmosphere at Home Games
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 08:39:10 PM »
A frustrating game today, for sure. The performance, like the first half of Millwall, wasn't anywhere near the level, with the majority of the XI nowhere near their best.

However, I am finding it really difficult with large sections of 'fans' around my seat. I appreciate that the Albion can be a place to let off some steam from a week at work; and when there is time to give criticism at games, I'm one of the first. With our superb home record, I get the impression people just turn up and expect us to win, but teams like Watford are littered with Premier League players - they just lack consistency.

BTA has huge limitations as a footballer and he should have buried that one in the first half. Yet, even after he scored an excellent goal to get us back in the game, when he misplaced a simple ball, there were people swearing and screaming for him to be taken off. I'm also no Adam Reach fan but to boo an Albion player coming on, when we're 5th in the league? I find it really difficult to sit and listen to. Funnily enough, he actually played quite well.

Mods: I tried to find a relevant thread but this may need moving?
Just read some of the posts in the in game thread! The people who boo, jeer, swear and abuse our players at the ground are no different to the people on here, and it's always the same ones, Sad really.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 09:54:04 PM »
Unfortunately you won't find many threads about this topic as we had to ban them due to all the childish bickering and arguing that the thread descended into.

3 - Atmosphere, sitting/ standing, Brummie/ Smethwick and Rangers/ Celtic topics will automatically be removed from the site as they are amongst the most common problems.

Hopefully as its been a while now since we've had any people can discuss them like adults again.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 10:44:54 PM »
Just read some of the posts in the in game thread! The people who boo, jeer, swear and abuse our players at the ground are no different to the people on here, and it's always the same ones, Sad really.

I love this forum but the in game thread that you refer to is consistently the most annoying one to me. If we are not 2 goals up before half time the criticism just flows and flows.
Back on thread, the atmosphere at the ground today was very flat. To be totally honest, it’s rarely any different.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 01:12:21 AM »
The mid 20's chap infront of me let Asante have it for a miss shouting "you're absolutely sh??, why are you so sh??  Asante".

An absolute disgraceful show of "support", and paying no regard to how the game is going.

The hypocrisy from this "fan" when he banged one in was a sight to see.

Same chap shouted "Skin him to Reach" later in the game.

Some people see something others don't.

I have never abused our team of players at games, but we do have more vile like supporters than we have ever had, and I think it is because they never really knew the dark third tier times and just remember the 8 consecutive years in the prem.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 06:53:14 AM »
The mid 20's chap infront of me let Asante have it for a miss shouting "you're absolutely sh??, why are you so sh??  Asante".

An absolute disgraceful show of "support", and paying no regard to how the game is going.

I have never abused our team of players at games, but we do have more vile like supporters than we have ever had, and I think it is because they never really knew the dark third tier times and just remember the 8 consecutive years in the prem.

Spot on

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 11:16:15 AM »

Mods: I tried to find a relevant thread but this may need moving?

I completely agree with this.

At one point yesterday Palmer had the ball waiting for movement and someone a couple rows in front of me was going crazy for him to kick the ball and hurry up, then as soon as he aimlessly kicked the ball up the field he went mad. We clearly have a way that CC wants us to play with passing it out from the back but as soon as we are losing i really find it frustrating to be there sometimes because some fans make it more nervous for the players with the constant groaning and shouting.
Smethwick..

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 11:51:20 AM »
Absolutely right.  If you're going to a match to support the Albion, support them, encourage them and don't destroy their confidence.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

BagAlbion123

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 12:11:12 PM »
I will admit I do slate players quite a bit at home watching on the box but never at the games it's just fruitless like others have said you're there to support

tegga

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 12:39:31 PM »
It's the worse part of day for me when the atmosphere is flat.

It's like the supporters are waiting for the first goal to go in before they can make any noise. I just wish everyone would join in and back the team before we score, that's when it's needed.

Regarding supporters moaning and all that, I think football supporters  are the same no matter who they support. It just needs the rest of us to shout encouragement.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 09:01:46 AM »
the pulis effect still lingers , its what killed it for me. just a happy/angry armchair supporter now. i wouldn't even be gutted if i couldn't get a play off final ticket but i would imagine everyone who wanted to go would get one anyway. all this after passionately following home and away, pre seasons everywhere for 40 years, 20 of them from down here in devon. i still support the club financially too
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 09:10:34 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2024, 10:30:43 AM »
Sort of on subject - after the Plymouth game I was walking back to the train and rather than celebrating the 3-0 win away from and a cracking 2nd half performance a group of men behind us were complaining about John Swift wearing gloves. They were saying all this while wearing coats, woolie hats and GLOVES. I said to my dad “say the men in hats and gloves” and then my dad turned around and said “great performance 2nd half though wasn’t it?!” And then the conversation went positive.

Some people just want to be negative. And if you watch the old Soccer AM sketch - I think it was called “The optimistic Baggies” or something it involved Fenners and another finding negatives in anything from lottery wins to buying good players. It’s a character type attributed to people from the Blackcountry by others so there must be something in it. I certainly notice it when travelling from Cornwall (most of us here are chilled and upbeat!) to West Brom.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2024, 10:39:12 AM »
Sort of on subject - after the Plymouth game I was walking back to the train and rather than celebrating the 3-0 win away from and a cracking 2nd half performance a group of men behind us were complaining about John Swift wearing gloves. They were saying all this while wearing coats, woolie hats and GLOVES. I said to my dad “say the men in hats and gloves” and then my dad turned around and said “great performance 2nd half though wasn’t it?!” And then the conversation went positive.

Some people just want to be negative. And if you watch the old Soccer AM sketch - I think it was called “The optimistic Baggies” or something it involved Fenners and another finding negatives in anything from lottery wins to buying good players. It’s a character type attributed to people from the Blackcountry by others so there must be something in it. I certainly notice it when travelling from Cornwall (most of us here are chilled and upbeat!) to West Brom.

By that logic are you suggesting there's some truth behind the image that the Cornish are thick interbred pagans with a deep distrust of outsiders, if so you're probably not very popular with the locals you work alongside ;D  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2024, 11:25:51 AM »
No way of proving it scientifically, but have long had the feeling that it is quieter for longer periods at the Hawthorns than in many other grounds. Even when the team's playing all right. Maybe even more so then.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2024, 11:55:04 AM »
Somebody earlier mentioned the Pulis era.

It was around that time that I started to really watch the game, I was trying to understand what was being played out tactically.

I now tend to watch what's going on off the ball as well as on it, & with the help of some of the more knowledgeable forum members, I can now see a 3,5,2 : 4,1,4,1 attacking & 5,3,2 defending formations, together with controlled straight lines at the back.
I can see the point of moving the ball across the back line to pull opposing players out of positiion, & watch our midfield players moving into the space  created to receive the ball.

Personally, I find it really difficult to take that all in if I'm singing & shouting, so from my point of view I'm quiet because I'm in study mode, not because I'm bored
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2024, 12:03:35 PM »
I can see the online trending now, #Hawthorns_StudentsoftheGame  8) .

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2024, 12:26:38 PM »

"skin him" isn't derogatory, its no different to shouting "take him on"

I get your point otherwise
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 03:15:44 PM »
By that logic are you suggesting there's some truth behind the image that the Cornish are thick interbred pagans with a deep distrust of outsiders, if so you're probably not very popular with the locals you work alongside ;D  ;) .

100% true!  :D and I live in Redruth, 2nd to Camborne only in backwardsness.

My self derogatory humour is often lost down here.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 10:21:30 PM »
100% true! :D and I live in Redruth, 2nd to Camborne only in backwardsness.

Thought so, don't tell them about the Internet though.

You'll end up in a made to measure 'WickaMon' suit.

With flames  ;) .

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2024, 02:26:20 AM »
100% true!  :D and I live in Redruth, 2nd to Camborne only in backwardsness.

Amazing you should say you live in Redruth.  Have you lived there all  your life?
The reason I am asking is that I have been doing some internet movie browsing and came upon the Wiki page of actress Kristin Scott Thomas and it says she was born in Redruth!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2024, 06:18:52 AM »
"skin him" isn't derogatory, its no different to shouting "take him on"

I get your point otherwise

I know it isn't, I was highlighting him saying the absurd, because Reach couldn't peel the skin off a potato, let alone a an opposition player.

Which I then clarified by saying some fans see a different game.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2024, 09:17:03 AM »
I know it isn't, I was highlighting him saying the absurd, because Reach couldn't peel the skin off a potato, let alone a an opposition player.

Which I then clarified by saying some fans see a different game.

Ok, I mis-understood then, won't be the last time  :'(
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2024, 05:14:45 PM »
Interesting that we have this thread, but a number of posters have referred to other teams new stadiums as “soulless bowls”
It’s the fans that make the atmosphere…not the stadium designers.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2024, 07:27:34 PM »
Amazing you should say you live in Redruth.  Have you lived there all  your life?
The reason I am asking is that I have been doing some internet movie browsing and came upon the Wiki page of actress Kristin Scott Thomas and it says she was born in Redruth!

I’ve lived here or nearby since the age of 7. Before that it was Selly Oak.

Where are you in Aus? I’m going out there in July.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2024, 03:20:48 AM »
I’ve lived here or nearby since the age of 7. Before that it was Selly Oak.

Where are you in Aus? I’m going out there in July.

I'm in the big city - Sydney!