Author Topic: Josh Griffiths  (Read 34930 times)

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

Josh Griffiths
« on: February 04, 2023, 07:29:45 PM »
Not sure why he was brought back from playing weekly and getting invaluable experience. With Palmer out I would give him a chance as the number 1 to see what he is all about, otherwise pointless bringing him back.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Josh Griffiths
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 08:17:35 PM »
I'd assume for CC to take a closer look at him.

He played for the 23's VS Villa the other week, go watch the highlights on youtube........

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 08:19:56 AM »
I’m guessing that it was to be third choice. The injury to Palmer shows why we needed him back. He is now our reserve keeper. From reports when he was out on loan he did well in many respects but struggled with his distribution under pressure. Whilst I agree that he needs game time at the moment he’s needed with us just in case something happens to Button.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 07:20:56 PM »
I’m guessing that it was to be third choice. The injury to Palmer shows why we needed him back. He is now our reserve keeper. From reports when he was out on loan he did well in many respects but struggled with his distribution under pressure. Whilst I agree that he needs game time at the moment he’s needed with us just in case something happens to Button.

The Portsmouth fans didn’t rate him.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 07:34:46 PM »
Not sure why he was brought back from playing weekly and getting invaluable experience. With Palmer out I would give him a chance as the number 1 to see what he is all about, otherwise pointless bringing him back.

I agree personally. He wasn't pulling up trees at Pomoey but at his age, it was still good experience. Palmer's injury doesn't justify pulling him back for me. Had he stayed at Pompey, we could have exercised our right to bring in an emergency loan goalkeeper, potentially somebody better than Button or Griffiths.
Boing Boing

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 12:54:11 AM »
The Portsmouth fans didn’t rate him.

Portsmouth fans were glad he came back...

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 08:06:26 AM »
For all we know Griffiths might be glad to have seen the back of the Pompey fans too. Just getting appearances under your belt isn't the be all and end all as a young player. Loan moves have to work on as many levels as possible in player development. Who knows, his confidence may have taken a hit.

At least this way CC and the coaching department can assess Griffiths as he gets used to what's going to be expected of him in our set up while providing cover to Button following his loan. Should Button's form return to where it appeared to be a whole game ago then he'll be needed at Championship level before he knows it.

Personally speaking I'd be exploring the possibility of an emergency keeper loan ahead of Button or Josh bombing as could happen. We've got a hell of a lot riding on this season and in the cold light of day sink or swim can go either way. That's not to say I don't want to see Josh given a first team opportunity but I'd want to cover as many bases as possible.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 09:01:26 AM »
For all we know Griffiths might be glad to have seen the back of the Pompey fans too. Just getting appearances under your belt isn't the be all and end all as a young player. Loan moves have to work on as many levels as possible in player development. Who knows, his confidence may have taken a hit.

At least this way CC and the coaching department can assess Griffiths as he gets used to what's going to be expected of him in our set up while providing cover to Button following his loan. Should Button's form return to where it appeared to be a whole game ago then he'll be needed at Championship level before he knows it.

Personally speaking I'd be exploring the possibility of an emergency keeper loan ahead of Button or Josh bombing as could happen. We've got a hell of a lot riding on this season and in the cold light of day sink or swim can go either way. That's not to say I don't want to see Josh given a first team opportunity but I'd want to cover as many bases as possible.

We wouldn’t be allowed an emergency loan signing when we’ve got 3 fit keepers

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 09:35:43 AM »
We wouldn’t be allowed an emergency loan signing when we’ve got 3 fit keepers

Palmer isn't fit and neither Griffiths or Cann have first team experience at Championship level. Whether Button is fit to play at first team level at all is a topic of ongoing debate. I don't see the harm in exploring the possibility.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 10:01:20 AM »
Palmer isn't fit and neither Griffiths or Cann have first team experience at Championship level. Whether Button is fit to play at first team level at all is a topic of ongoing debate. I don't see the harm in exploring the possibility.
EFL states emergency loans eligibility as below:-
” 58 EMERGENCY GOALKEEPER LOAN

58.1  If all the Professional Goalkeepers at a Club are unavailable as a result of having been:

58.1.1  certified by an independent medical practitioner as being unfit to play;

58.1.2  suspended; or

58.1.3  called up to play for his national association representative matches in accordance with the requirements of FIFA as laid down from time to time,

a Club may register (either before or after the deadlines laid down in Regulations 44.2 and 44.3), a further goalkeeper on a short term basis in accordance with the following provisions.

Guidance

A Professional Goalkeeper is a goalkeeper (excluding any goalkeeper registered as a Non-Contract Player) who has been named in the starting eleven on five or more occasions by:

any Club (or Premier League club) in any matches in the relevant league or first team cup competitions (other than the EFL Trophy); and/or
any other club in a professional league in that club’s home association (by way of example, any division of the Scottish Professional Football League, or Serie A, B or C).”

As both Button and Griffiths are classed as “professional goalkeepers” then we’d be rejected under the above rule set.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/efl-regulations/section-6---players/#
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:03:37 AM by Hunnington Baggie »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 10:29:36 AM »
EFL states emergency loans eligibility as below:-
” 58 EMERGENCY GOALKEEPER LOAN

58.1  If all the Professional Goalkeepers at a Club are unavailable as a result of having been:

58.1.1  certified by an independent medical practitioner as being unfit to play;

58.1.2  suspended; or

58.1.3  called up to play for his national association representative matches in accordance with the requirements of FIFA as laid down from time to time,

a Club may register (either before or after the deadlines laid down in Regulations 44.2 and 44.3), a further goalkeeper on a short term basis in accordance with the following provisions.

Guidance

A Professional Goalkeeper is a goalkeeper (excluding any goalkeeper registered as a Non-Contract Player) who has been named in the starting eleven on five or more occasions by:

any Club (or Premier League club) in any matches in the relevant league or first team cup competitions (other than the EFL Trophy); and/or
any other club in a professional league in that club’s home association (by way of example, any division of the Scottish Professional Football League, or Serie A, B or C).”

As both Button and Griffiths are classed as “professional goalkeepers” then we’d be rejected under the above rule set.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/efl-regulations/section-6---players/#

Interesting. Having explored the possibility it looks like a no goer in that case as the rules don't appear to cover experience or the detrimental effects to mental wellbeing of experiencing a number of public pumpings. Oh well, never mind.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 10:55:05 AM »
As an aside I appear to be double posting a bit of late. Even less of an idea what's going on there than I did with the emergency loan keeper rules  ;D .

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 11:14:36 AM »
Looks like the man from EFL he say NO !
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 01:28:43 PM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 12:57:14 PM »
Interesting. Having explored the possibility it looks like a no goer in that case as the rules don't appear to cover experience or the detrimental effects to mental wellbeing of experiencing a number of public pumpings. Oh well, never mind.

Indeed - as I said.  We have an experienced Button. We have Griffiths who has played a lot of games in League 1.   That’s enough to prevent us signing an emergency keeper on loan, even before considering Cann.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 01:17:04 PM »
It's really strange. Dwight Gayle once said (similar to) Josh Griffiths was the most difficult keeper to beat in training.

I've seen Griffiths live twice and to say it bluntly he looked pretty awful.

I know Albion coaches have thought of him as a generational talent, yet Pompey fans don't rate him.

Griffiths is strange. Maybe he's someone that is exceptional in training but can't transfer that ability to matches?? Who knows?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 01:53:32 PM »
It's really strange. Dwight Gayle once said (similar to) Josh Griffiths was the most difficult keeper to beat in training.

I know Albion coaches have thought of him as a generational talent, yet Pompey fans don't rate him.

Griffiths is strange. Maybe he's someone that is exceptional in training but can't transfer that ability to matches?? Who knows?

I seem to remember Charlie Austin said something very similar too.

Aaron Ramsdale had a couple of loans around a similar age, and by his own admission, a couple of those didn't go particularly well. Nick pope was also still floating around league 2 loans at 23 years old.

Who knows how Griffiths career will ultimately go, but he has plenty of time to work on his distribution and mental attributes. If he is a good shot stopper, he has half a chance.  99 league games as a keeper before 22 years of old suggests hes got something worth working with.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2023, 01:54:24 PM »

Perhaps the added pressure of a competitive game causes his mental strength to weaken.

Remember Foster saying on Fozcast there was little difference in ability between all 20 keepers in the PL but the keepers who played for City, Liverpool etc had unbreakable mental strength and that was the difference between them.

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2023, 03:50:10 PM »

Oh for the love of god. You can only get in an Emergency Keeper if no senior keeper is available. We have 2 at the moment who are available for selection

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2023, 04:18:04 PM »
Oh for the love of god. You can only get in an Emergency Keeper if no senior keeper is available. We have 2 at the moment who are available for selection

Oh for the love of God it's been covered. Put your knickers back on.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 10:38:46 PM »
Has to start tomorrow for me, he’s the best fit keeper at our club, regardless of his mixed performance in front of very poor Portsmouth defence.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 01:30:43 AM »
Comments on Griffiths playing tomorrow must be on the basis that he can’t possibly be as bad as button. Has anyone seen him play? No point in cutting our nose off here

Baggiee_Boyy_Benn

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 06:56:07 AM »
Comments on Griffiths playing tomorrow must be on the basis that he can’t possibly be as bad as button. Has anyone seen him play? No point in cutting our nose off here

Have seen him a few times and it ain’t great.

Played for the PL2 VS Villa the other week dropped a howler and then just rolled over the line. Was horrendous.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 08:13:37 AM »
Assuming Button isn't injured he'll be playing tonight. He finished the last game being mobbed by his team mates and CC has made positive comments about him since. He's got a further run of games in front of him here so give him a break and back him I'd say.
I'd also say give Griffiths a break. He's a young keeper seemingly with a lot of potential finding his way in the very early stages of his career. As is often the case, a bit less negativity wouldn't go amiss.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 08:37:56 AM »

Your first 2 lines are 100% why I want him to play tonight. Button wouldn’t get into a team at this level or league one. Griffiths did.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 08:51:11 AM »
Your first 2 lines are 100% why I want him to play tonight. Button wouldn’t get into a team at this level or league one. Griffiths did.

Button is in a team at this level.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill