Poll

Where do you think WBA will finish this season?

1st - Champions
1 (0.8%)
2nd - Automatic Promotion
9 (7.4%)
3rd - 6th - Play offs
83 (68.6%)
7th - 12th - Top Half
28 (23.1%)
13th - 18th Bottom Half
0 (0%)
19th - 21st - Avoid Relegation
0 (0%)
22nd - 24th - Relegation
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: Where will we finish this season?  (Read 4825 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Where will we finish this season?
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2022, 11:18:06 AM »
Wishful thinking, how many quality players have we kept from our days in the Prem? what's the chances of keeping Dike if we are in the Championship 18mths from now.
The whole structure needs to improve with a long-term plan not a constant short term response, stability is crucial .

It is not wishful thinking to look to improve the squad each summer and to build for the longer term and show some strategic patience. The only quality premiership player we had from last season (not on loan) we choose to sell for a fraction of his value. That is a decision that has hurt us this season and will look even more ridiculous if we go back up. It’s common sense to look to build the squad over 2/3 years and exactly how we established ourselves in the top flight last time. What you don’t do either is keep changing coaching staff, especially when they have delivered promotion as each has their own ideas to mould the squad.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2022, 11:41:23 AM »
I disagree with many here that there are few contenders for a top 6 place.  As well as Fulham and Bournemouth and in no particular order:

Middlesbrough (with Wlder)
Stoke
Blackburn (with Mowbray)
QPR (with Warburton) for whom Willock is having a great season
Sheffield Utd

In other words, the Championship has always been a tough scrap and this season's no different.

Top 6 would be an achievement but further transformation would be necessary before getting promoted.

Brentford are mid table so I don't see how anyone can be certain that they will be relegated

You know, it's almost as though this isn't the weakest Championship ever (takes pin out of grenade). In fact it could actually be quite competitive. No. Having read such on the internet it's widely accepted we're only near the top because most of the other teams in the division have been even worse than we have so far (rolls grenade on the floor and walks away before logging off shortly  ;D ).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WD40

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2022, 12:01:31 PM »
7th/8th
One striker isn’t going to fix this

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2022, 12:02:12 PM »
It is not wishful thinking to look to improve the squad each summer and to build for the longer term and show some strategic patience. The only quality premiership player we had from last season (not on loan) we choose to sell for a fraction of his value. That is a decision that has hurt us this season and will look even more ridiculous if we go back up. It’s common sense to look to build the squad over 2/3 years and exactly how we established ourselves in the top flight last time. What you don’t do either is keep changing coaching staff, especially when they have delivered promotion as each has their own ideas to mould the squad.
Watford are a league above us.  ;)

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2022, 12:49:35 PM »
There's no way we will finish outside of the play offs, if we had Dike from August we'd be top, goals win games and we're going to see that very soon!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2022, 01:08:10 PM »
I would love your idea to work but fail to see how, regarding Pereira he held the club to ransom it was sell him or have an unhappy player disrupting the club.
That scenario would show up each time we get relegated players want the money and kudos of playing in the Premier that really is the bottom line.
I agree about the turnover of managers we need stability and a system to bring the youth players into the first team on a more consistent level.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2022, 01:10:52 PM »
I would love your idea to work but fail to see how, regarding Pereira he held the club to ransom it was sell him or have an unhappy player disrupting the club.
That scenario would show up each time we get relegated players want the money and kudos of playing in the Premier that really is the bottom line.
I agree about the turnover of managers we need stability and a system to bring the youth players into the first team on a more consistent level.

Pereira would have had a bit of a strop initially but he'd have eventually come around in the best interests of his career. We held all of the cards but bottled it.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2022, 01:18:03 PM »
Pereira would have had a bit of a strop initially but he'd have eventually come around in the best interests of his career. We held all of the cards but bottled it.
Look what happened to Berihno we were lucky we didn't have to give him away, players always hold the  cards.
Yes, we could have him sweat sitting on the bench his value would have plummeted club and player both lose.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2022, 02:40:59 PM »
Look what happened to Berihno we were lucky we didn't have to give him away, players always hold the  cards.
Yes, we could have him sweat sitting on the bench his value would have plummeted club and player both lose.

Can't help but agree with you on that KYA.

Incidentally I have us finishing just outside the playoffs; would love to be wrong but there's a lot to turn around.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2022, 04:29:43 PM »
Watford are a league above us.  ;)

Yeah because their board didn't sell Ismaila Sarr last season. Amazing how other relegated clubs manage it.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2022, 06:53:44 PM »
Yeah because their board didn't sell Ismaila Sarr last season. Amazing how other relegated clubs manage it.
Maybe nobody offered him £250k a week.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2022, 08:45:42 PM »
There's no way we will finish outside of the play offs, if we had Dike from August we'd be top, goals win games and we're going to see that very soon!
And what happens if he is not the great messiah, everyone seems too think he's going to be? We need more than one striker. If he does deliver then gets injured or suspended, what then?

sconesy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2022, 09:06:50 PM »
Ask Carlton Palmer, seems to have many views on everything us over the last few months. A desperate ‘chancer’ of  a pundit, and quite frankly one of the most ignorant and vile people I’ve ever met.
Back to the question….finish 4th,  promotion via the playoffs.

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2022, 11:49:57 AM »
We will get to the play offs and then lose in the semi finals (no trip to Wembley).  Let me brutally honest and say if by some quirk of fate we found ourselves in the premiership, this team would get slaughtered every week .  We would make Norwich look like Brazil.  Dike will make a difference, but last couple of games I have not seen us creating the clear cut chances he will need.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2022, 12:15:02 PM »
I am normally optimistic about my beloved Baggies, but I agree with you Norfolk, except maybe, we will get to, but lose at Wembley, due to some more of the inept\bent refereeing we have seen over the last two seasons. Definitely not in any position to sustain a challenge in the prem, so only thing to look forward to is the cash the season after for getting battered nearly every week, on tv as well. Hope I live long enough to see the rebuild, if it happens.