0 (0%)
Grady Diangana
0 (0%)
Kean Bryan
0 (0%)
Adam Reach
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: 23 Oct 2021 Albion 3 Bristol City 0  (Read 6167 times)

ttree30

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #200 on: October 23, 2021, 06:24:53 PM »
Pleased with the points tally - two points a game with nearly a third of the season gone.

Pleased to have a seven point cushion in the play-offs.

But most of all pleased to see a good display after recent disappointments.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #201 on: October 23, 2021, 06:27:17 PM »
It's a shame how it's much quiter here after a win and a good performance.

Why were we allowed 4 subs? It's why I asked if something happened to Townsend in the in-game thread.

Pleased with everything I heard about this game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

ttree30

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2021, 06:28:30 PM »

Anyone know why we were allowed 4 subs, as I presume we were because we made 4.

I believe it’s because Bristol City were allowed a fourth substitution because one was a result of concussion, so we were allowed the same.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »
I believe it’s because Bristol City were allowed a fourth substitution because one was a result of concussion, so we were allowed the same.

OK. Thanks for that.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: In Game Chat
« Reply #204 on: October 23, 2021, 06:30:47 PM »

Looked like he was CM to me from the stream. I wasn't at the game so did not see the full open pitch though.

You could well be right, but he did appear to operate on their left as well.

But Diangana also roams about midfield as well.
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #205 on: October 23, 2021, 06:44:45 PM »
What a bounce back! Brilliant first half, Hugil should have had 4, played really well though, much more comfortable with the ball on the deck.
Molumby starts next game after a MoM performance, would like to see him and Mowatt.
Ajayi's best game for a while.
Clarke equally dominant.
Furlong more comfortable.

All in all a very enjoyable day and a nice nerve settler after Wednesday.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #206 on: October 23, 2021, 06:45:29 PM »
OK. Thanks for that.

Joseph Masi thinks it was because of the long delays to the game
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #207 on: October 23, 2021, 06:57:00 PM »
It's a shame how it's much quiter here after a win and a good performance.

Why were we allowed 4 subs? It's why I asked if something happened to Townsend in the in-game thread.

Pleased with everything I heard about this game.

Fair play to Val. Credit where credit is due.

It’s my daughters birthday today so other than the score I know very little about the game and our performance.

Super way to bounce back from the midweek defeat by Swansea. Sad I know, but my weekends are always so much more happier when the Albion win!

Andio

• Youth Baggie

Re: match officials
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2021, 07:03:07 PM »
I thought he looked familiar to me. I was his assistant ref on a game with him at Walsall academy during lockdown. He was coming back from injury then.

He had a good game today I thought, with the exception of no booking for the foul on Hugill when we were breaking away.

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2021, 07:12:14 PM »
Difficult to know how to rate that as Brizzle were so poor. All I can see is that is it was a good bit better than recent performances with much more variety than of late. Down side was the last twenty minutes when it all became too easy and we started looking for an easy ride and we’re possibly lucky not to concede as we got a bit sloppy. In fairness having played in awful conditions Wednesday( Bristol played Tuesday) and a swirling wind today the team did well.
Molumbys energy gives VI an interesting dilemma , Grant continues to score and always good to have Grady fit . MoM any number of possibilities including Hughill and Furlong , haven’t made my choice yet
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

KN22

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2021, 07:12:50 PM »
Just back from match. Best display of the season for me although I have to add that Bristol were woeful. Hugill played really well. He should have scored more but looked like a proper centre forward. The 4 subs were allowed due to Bristol having one enforced due to concussion. What amused me about that though was that we made our fourth switch before they did! Snodgrass brought a welcome calm to the middle of the park but not sure he can play every game. Well done to all.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2021, 07:16:02 PM »
I thought he looked familiar to me. I was his assistant ref on a game with him at Walsall academy during lockdown. He was coming back from injury then.

He had a good game today I thought, with the exception of no booking for the foul on Hugill when we were breaking away.

Agreed. Except for that incident you mention I thought he had a good game. Best ref we've had at the Hawthorns this season.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2021, 07:18:56 PM »
Despite me saying I wouldn't watch us again, I did!
Much improved, much more purposeful, but still fragile at times against a poor Bristol outfit.
Not sure we are good enough to go up.
Baggie in Southampton

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2021, 07:51:10 PM »
Take Livermore out of the middle and it allows us to play more football.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2021, 07:54:28 PM »
Despite me saying I wouldn't watch us again, I did!
Much improved, much more purposeful, but still fragile at times against a poor Bristol outfit.
Not sure we are good enough to go up.

Or we could storm the league like Norwich and then....

We are like at least ten other clubs who live in that 'between' area....
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2021, 08:30:55 PM »
I think today's performance has gone some way to support Dexy's argument that the players are good enough, if they're encouraged to do what they're good at.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2021, 09:02:16 PM »
With the exception of potentially Cardiff away and Sheffield united that was the best performance of the season. To a man they were excellent.

Only toward the end when we had well and truly eased off and made all the changes that the game got sloppy.

Molumby was class he was tenacious full of running and used the ball when we he eventually got it unlike JL when he plays. Snodgrass was like a metronome he just kept us ticking and was such a calming influence. Phillips until he burned out after his usual hour was unplayable again. Ajayi best game for a long time and made some great forward passes. Furlong after his worst game for wba was back at his best. Hugil better but should have had a hatrick starting CR7 or having a better cf we would have been out ot site before half time.

Very good. Showed what fresh legs and a little bit of rotation does to our play. Up the baggies on to the next one
O Albion we love you

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2021, 09:04:00 PM »
That was the best performance since Sheff Utd.  We opened up the Bristol defence every time, and should have scored a hatful. We were playing more passes on the ground, which I think suits our forwards better.

Lots of the team upped their game from Wednesday. Difficult to pick man of the match. Molumby was everywhere esp 1st half, Phillips opened them up with some great passing, Furlong and Ajayi both on top of their game, Grant picked his spot very well for his goal, Snodgrass gave us extra control with his passing. Hope his goal gives Hugill some confidence, but he missed some simple chances after.  In a tighter match, they'd come back to haunt him.

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggies_24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2021, 10:00:03 PM »
Firstly I hope the two fans & Nathan Baker all make a speedy recovery, strange set of circumstances 2 medical emergencies & a 10 minute stoppage in the same game.

Score line flattered Bristol it should have been 4 at HT. Whilst most will point to Livermore been out the team it’s clear Val instructed the back 3 to get it on the deck and play it more. The first goal was a superb move great ball by Matty. Mulumby & Snodgrass were superb all game complemented each other really well.

Val / the team got the balance spot on today still direct but played with a purpose instead of the aimless rubbish we’ve seen the past 4 or 5 weeks. Play like that & we’l beat most teams in the division.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:02:24 PM by baggies_24 »

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2021, 11:13:06 PM »
Except for the failure to punish the foul on Hugill more severely, he was fair and consistent in his decision making. That is all I ever ask for.  Got most things right as well which was a bonus, best I have seen this season, good performance. Wish there were more like this one.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2021, 11:41:47 PM »
Outstanding today I thought. Maybe a real turning point. Molumby, Snodgrass and Phillips all outstanding.

Play as we did today with the ball on the ground and we have a chance. Lump the ball and we don’t.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2021, 06:23:40 AM »
Best ref this season by a distance.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2021, 07:29:37 AM »
Take Livermore out of the middle and it allows us to play more football.

Yesterdays performance was much better due to the fact that they kept the ball on the ground and passed it, unlike the majority of other games this season where it has been a hopeful lump up front from the back. Absolutely nothing to do with Livermore not playing.

I cannot believe that this was virtually the same team who went to Swansea. Hugill got through a lot of work and was a real problem for them, I was impressed with Snodgrass as he kept talking to the team all the time, and it was good to see that Furlong turned up instead of his none football playing brother.

Now I can watch that all day, but one swallow and all that............

It would be good to have a MOM poll, I am divided between Hugill, [past it ;D]Snodgrass and Molumby.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 07:34:41 AM by skyclad99 »
What have we done?
And what have we become?
In this distance from our Mother
To the gates of late Eden

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2021, 10:03:01 AM »
Much better performance yesterday.
Mixed it up nicely, playing Snods and Mulmby shows the manager that we do have alternatives.
Decent performance by Hughill  but he could have and should have been walking away with the match ball
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Aussie Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2021, 10:44:12 AM »
Just watched the highlights of the game. Here are some thoughts on Hugill.

Took his goal well.
With the second chance, yes it was an open goal but the ball was in the air and maybe not at the right height. A better striker probably would have scored.
His third chance I thought it was a good save by their keeper. He got a hand to it, if he hadn’t I think Hugill was on target.