0 (0%)
Jordan Hugill
1 (2.1%)
Callum Robinson
0 (0%)
Kean Bryan
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: 24 Sept 2021 Albion 2 Queens Park Rangers 1  (Read 34454 times)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #450 on: September 26, 2021, 09:45:30 AM »
No win for Johnstone, he stays on his line he gets slated, he comes out as he was right to do given the lack of defenders and he gets slated

I don't agree with that. I understand the need to be a sweeper keeper but it's all about decision making when to stay and when to go. Andre Gray was near the touchline Johnstone didn't need to go on that occasion. I'm sure if faced with exactly the same scenario again Johnstone chooses not to rush out.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #451 on: September 26, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »
I don't agree with that. I understand the need to be a sweeper keeper but it's all about decision making when to stay and when to go. Andre Gray was near the touchline Johnstone didn't need to go on that occasion. I'm sure if faced with exactly the same scenario again Johnstone chooses not to rush out.

He had to do something, if he stayed on his line Gray had a free run on goal as the defenders were too busy waiting for a whistle and Johnstone would be crucified on here and in the ground, its a no win situation
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #452 on: September 26, 2021, 02:03:24 PM »
He had to do something, if he stayed on his line Gray had a free run on goal as the defenders were too busy waiting for a whistle and Johnstone would be crucified on here and in the ground, its a no win situation

Bartley would be back before Gray could get to a comfortable shooting position.  He's just inside the box out, towards the touch line, when he actually shoots.  He doesn't score from there with SJ on his line.

https://i.ibb.co/F738wZf/Capture111.png

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #453 on: September 26, 2021, 06:08:18 PM »

Actually if you watch the goal back you will see that our defenders were recovering and getting close to Gray who has still someway outside our box when he shot; assisted by Johnstone being in no mans land.

I have to laugh at posters suggesting that some of us have an agenda to blame Johnstone for the earth revolving. The same posters seem to go to extraordinary lengths to excuse his mistakes.

The basic fact is that Grant controlled the back 40 yards away from our goal and our keeper has a nightmare by bizarrely deciding that Grant was not going to be able to control the ball. An ounce of common sense would have led him to wait for the ball to run past Grant before charging out of his goal.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 06:48:06 PM by OldburyWBA »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #454 on: September 26, 2021, 06:49:16 PM »
Actually if you watch the goal back you will see that our defenders were recovering and getting close to Gray who has still someway outside our box when he shot; assisted by Johnstone being in no mans land.

I have to laugh at posters suggesting that some of us have an agenda to blame Johnstone for the earth revolving. The same posters seem to go to extraordinary lengths to excuse his mistakes.

The basic fact is that Grant controlled the back 40 yards away from our goal and our keeper has a nightmare by bizarrely deciding that Grant was not going to be able to control the ball. An ounce of common sense would have led him to wait for the ball to run past Grant before charging out of his goal.

We all have opinions on players but I don't make excuses for him, he is what he is, he's not the best but he's also not the worst around.

I still maintain no win situation for him.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #455 on: September 26, 2021, 07:37:08 PM »
Funny how the game works - Grant grabs the winner but I thought he was poor overall. I’d have dragged him off before Diangana.

Funny how two blokes stood in the same stand can see the performances of two players completely differently from different angles.

What I saw was a player using in game intelligence moving into pockets of space where his manager presumably wanted him to be.

On the other hand I also saw a player holding onto the ball for too long who rarely looked up and whose final ball was for the most part quite poor.

We all know VI values quick balls played into areas of vulnerability for the opposition.

One of those players was substituted a little later than I would have preferred. The other one converted the chances which were played into areas of danger for the opposition.

Funny old game  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #456 on: September 27, 2021, 09:04:00 AM »
I didn’t see any of the game last night, but I’ve read about the subs being booed and honestly it’s embarrassing.

I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion and those there have paid their money but come on. 9th game, unbeaten after 8 and we makes changes at 1-0 down to try and change things. I really can’t understand why you’d boo that even if you disagreed.

If we avoid defeat next game, isn’t that a record unbeaten start to a season? I’m sure we were going to beat the record with Bilic and Leeds beat us in the 10th match

I don't recall subs being booed. There was booing at half time though. What I did hear when Diangana was subbed was a shocked kind of gasp from a lot of fans. It reminded me of when we were 2 down at Sheff Wednesday and Moore took off Gayle and Rodriguez, nobody could believe it and yet it was a masterstroke as we scored 2 in the last 5 mins and drew.

I thought overall we deserved to win but we were poor in the first half with the same issue of our strikers being at the edges of the penalty area rather than inside it (but then they are mostly converted wingers).

QPR's timewasting & histrionics were pathetic and the ref should have shown more authority and booked someone to show he wasn't going to stand for it. I did fear that they would sneak an equaliser in the extra 6 minutes though.

Really glad Grant got his goals. I did say earlier in the week that he and Diangana are better than they are showing and he took both goals well (he was lucky with the first but if you don't shoot you don't have the chance to score). Really hope Grant kicks on from here.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #457 on: September 27, 2021, 09:59:57 AM »
I don't recall subs being booed. There was booing at half time though. What I did hear when Diangana was subbed was a shocked kind of gasp from a lot of fans.

Wow. That's very surprising. Where were you in the stadium? The booing from the Brummie Road was loud and clear when Diangana went off, I'm surprised that literally everyone didn't hear it. 

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #458 on: September 27, 2021, 10:06:51 AM »
Wow. That's very surprising. Where were you in the stadium? The booing from the Brummie Road was loud and clear when Diangana went off, I'm surprised that literally everyone didn't hear it.

East Stand nearer to Smethwick.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Man of the match vs QPR
« Reply #459 on: September 27, 2021, 10:08:55 AM »
Livermore for me, just ahead of Townsend.

Grant deserves praise for keeping going and taking the opportunities when they came.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #460 on: September 27, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »
East Stand nearer to Smethwick.

Fair enough. You need to turn your hearing aid up.  ;D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Man of the match vs QPR
« Reply #461 on: September 27, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »
Another shout for Jake Livermore - he really drove us forward in that second half. One of his better games and hopefully that’s consistent going forwards.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom