Author Topic: Tokyo Olympics 2021  (Read 10942 times)

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2021
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2021, 08:36:25 AM »
If she’s not confident about a particular routine then she should opt for an easier one. That, though, would probably mean that she wouldn’t win, what a shame. If you’re not prepared to accept that in sport that there is a chance that you might not win, then you shouldn’t be in it in the first place. Top sports people are in a very privileged place, yes, they have to work hard to get there but sometimes even the best get beaten. In my opinion, she let her country and team mates down.
"Clarke Carlisle, Stan Collymore, Chris Kirkland, Aaron Lennon, Dame Kelly Holmes, Ricky Hatton, Victoria Pendleton, Jonathan Trott… those names are probably just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to mental issues within sport. The list goes on and on." Daily Express Mon, Jul 30, 2018
What about Jonny Wilkinson and his struggles? Come on man cut people some slack.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2021, 10:41:58 AM »
Charlotte Worthington surely going to be in contention for SPOTY

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2021, 11:45:29 AM »
Max Whitlock too, what a Gold.

100m semi's were amazing. Zharnel Hughes knocked the favourite out in the semis, winning his heat, then in the final semi a Chinese sprinter set the fastest time of the games and goes into the final as the favourite. Makes me slightly nervous as he has come from nowhere and we have had 18 months of limited testing, but amazing on face value. Could be the first sprinter since 1980 to win the Olympic title who wasn't African American or from a carribean origin.

Fingers crossed for Hughes though, would be amazing if he could nail his start.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »
Max Whitlock too, what a Gold.

100m semi's were amazing. Zharnel Hughes knocked the favourite out in the semis, winning his heat, then in the final semi a Chinese sprinter set the fastest time of the games and goes into the final as the favourite. Makes me slightly nervous as he has come from nowhere and we have had 18 months of limited testing, but amazing on face value. Could be the first sprinter since 1980 to win the Olympic title who wasn't African American or from a carribean origin.

Fingers crossed for Hughes though, would be amazing if he could nail his start.

I share your doubts on Su Bingtian. He’s also 31 which is typically post peak for sprinters I believe.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2021, 12:06:57 PM »
I share your doubts on Su Bingtian. He’s also 31 which is typically post peak for sprinters I believe.

I listened to a podcast recently where a leading scientist (cant remember his name) claimed that almost all track and field athletes were on performance enhancing drugs. Apparently there are "maskers" which keep them ahead of the testers.

I've heard the same thing mentioned elsewhere too.

No idea how true the claims are obviously, I'm no expert.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 12:18:10 PM by Atomic »

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2021, 12:19:40 PM »
"Clarke Carlisle, Stan Collymore, Chris Kirkland, Aaron Lennon, Dame Kelly Holmes, Ricky Hatton, Victoria Pendleton, Jonathan Trott… those names are probably just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to mental issues within sport. The list goes on and on." Daily Express Mon, Jul 30, 2018
What about Jonny Wilkinson and his struggles? Come on man cut people some slack.
Marcus Trescothick was badly affected too
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2021, 12:20:40 PM »
Either way, I'm backing Italian Lamont Jacobs to bring it back to Europe for the first time since '92.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2021, 12:22:24 PM »
England v India in the Hockey quarters coming up, was going to get tickets to Britain v India last year prior to CoVID cancelling the game, so hope I can watch it. Should be a close one.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2021, 01:39:26 PM »
Yulimar Rojas jas just broken the Women's triple jump world record. She has actually done it 3 times this tournament but 2 were foul jumps.

Meanwhile, India lead 2-0 in the hockey at half time and it looks like we are going out. Poor.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2021, 01:51:33 PM »
Sharing a gold is a step too far.

Has that ever happened before?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »
I get their reasons, it was deadlocked and they probably didn't fancy their chances of making the next height.

Anyway, Hughes was about to be the first Brit in the Olympics 100m final for 21 years but he left the blocks as they said "Set" and he's gone. Gutting. Brits failing with their starts. On to the relay.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:00:08 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2021, 01:54:45 PM »
Either way, I'm backing Italian Lamont Jacobs to bring it back to Europe for the first time since '92.

Called it.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2021, 02:06:11 PM »
I get their reasons, it was deadlocked and they probably didn't fancy their chances of making the next height.

Not for me. I think it’s ridiculous. The olympics / sport is about completion, finding out who the best is. You have to have winners and losers. If they want to accept ending the competition early give them both silver and dont award a gold.

The process apparently is one more attempt each at that height, then start lowering the bar for sudden death. They should have done that.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2021, 02:28:55 PM »
Does seem pretty weird its allowed for them to decide to share first place, doesn't seem particularly fair to other sports who have various tiebreakers if things end as a draw.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2021, 02:33:54 PM »
Not for me. I think it’s ridiculous. The olympics / sport is about completion, finding out who the best is. You have to have winners and losers. If they want to accept ending the competition early give them both silver and dont award a gold.

The process apparently is one more attempt each at that height, then start lowering the bar for sudden death. They should have done that.

It's a farce if it's all about drugs though isnt it?

I used to love track and field but let's be brutally honest you cant trust it so I pay no attention to it now.

The hockey, gymnastics and swimming are great though. The golf just bores me

Football, tennis should not be in Olympics IMO.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2021, 02:38:03 PM »
Britain mens hockey side knocked out by what look an average Indian side. Further confirms how we don't punch our weight in (mens) team sports. For a nation our side, we are rarely world number 1 in anything. Limited overs cricket, that's about it.

Australia in with a great chance of Gold, while they also do well in Crocket, Rugby Unio, Rugby League, while they compete in sports like Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball, Handball etc. We could learn a lot.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2021, 02:54:28 PM »
It's a farce if it's all about drugs though isnt it?

I used to love track and field but let's be brutally honest you cant trust it so I pay no attention to it now.

The hockey, gymnastics and swimming are great though. The golf just bores me

Football, tennis should not be in Olympics IMO.

True, but if they all do it?

I personally would still have some interest in how fast can a chemist make man, although it would be better if they were honest.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2021, 03:14:54 PM »
Charlotte Worthington surely going to be in contention for SPOTY

As far as I am concerned, there is only one person deserving of SPOTY; Mark Cavendish. Although not at the Olympics, no one has come close to what he has achieved this year, and in the toughest sport of all. All our Olympic gold medalists deserve immense credit but what Cavendish has achieved is just unrivalled.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2021, 04:06:55 PM »
Has to be Peaty surely (SPOTY)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2021, 05:49:49 PM »
Yulimar Rojas jas just broken the Women's triple jump world record. She has actually done it 3 times this tournament but 2 were foul jumps.

Meanwhile, India lead 2-0 in the hockey at half time and it looks like we are going out. Poor.

Finished 3-1 in the end with the captain announcing his retirement
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2021, 11:16:24 AM »
Anyone see Karsten Walholm set a ridiculous WR in the 400m hurdles? Apparently that time is the equivalent of 9.62 over 100m. Insane. Feel a bit sorry for Benjamin in second, smashed the old WR and still didnt win.

Just wish I could be sure these athletes are straight. I'd watch far more track and field if so.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2021, 09:45:26 PM »
Anyone see Karsten Walholm set a ridiculous WR in the 400m hurdles? Apparently that time is the equivalent of 9.62 over 100m. Insane. Feel a bit sorry for Benjamin in second, smashed the old WR and still didnt win.

Just wish I could be sure these athletes are straight. I'd watch far more track and field if so.
Great race, wish I'd seen it live. Think it's a case of two great athletes pushing each other to new heights. They are saying it's a fast surface so if you get the two best pushing each other quick times will follow. There's always a nagging doubt with any outstanding performance though unfortunately...not just in athletics.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

SC_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2021, 11:48:49 PM »
Sharing a gold is a step too far.

Has that ever happened before?

Can only happen in high jump and pole vault. And yes it has happened a couple pf times before.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2021, 05:15:57 AM »
Finally got the chance to watch that sky brown skateboard she's got some guts fair play to her. And at only 13 the next Olympics she will be very much in the hunt for a gold. Well deserved bronze. Got well emotional when she landed some of the big moves on her last run

Well in Sky well in Team GB 🇬🇧
O Albion we love you

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2021, 05:45:27 AM »
 Beaten to the silver by a 12 year old :o :o
Baggie for life not just for Xmas