Author Topic: Tokyo Olympics 2021  (Read 4144 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Tokyo Olympics 2021
« on: July 21, 2021, 08:27:37 AM »
While the Olympics doesn’t officially start until Friday, the football tournament had now started.

If you are free, the BBC are now showing GBR v Chile in the Women’s football. Could be interesting.
Boing Boing

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tokyo Olympics 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 08:39:38 AM »
While the Olympics doesn’t officially start until Friday, the football tournament had now started.

If you are free, the BBC are now showing GBR v Chile in the Women’s football. Could be interesting.

Why? ;D
Remember...
What the doormouse said...

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 09:03:19 AM »
I don’t think there’s anything interesting about Sunday league quality football being given airtime.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 09:19:57 AM »
I don’t think there’s anything interesting about Sunday league quality football being given airtime.
Professional women's football is far better than that, but it seems you're blinkered by your pre-conceptions. I think there's a word for it...

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 09:30:45 AM »
Professional women's football is far better than that, but it seems you're blinkered by your pre-conceptions. I think there's a word for it...

Combined counties league then, sorry  :P

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 09:35:59 AM »
Stay classy guys.

GB 1-0 up at half time, the USA v Sweden just kicked off, and Brazil 2-0 up vs China with Marta scoring at yet another Olympics.

Germany v Brazil in the men's tomorrow.
Boing Boing

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »
Stay classy guys.....

Only joking. To be fair the women's game has come on in leaps and bounds.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 10:01:46 AM »
Only joking. To be fair the women's game has come on in leaps and bounds.

and kicking
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 10:02:45 AM »
no doubt, I will say I’ve yet to see a good goalkeeper in my (honestly limited) exposure to the women’s game. Other than that it’s a reasonably decent level of quality.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 10:04:47 AM »
Brisbane named host of the 2032 Olympics (Australia's 3rd different host city- Could you imagine the British government looking outside London in the same way?).

It does however mean thay including this one, 3 ofbthe next 4 Olympics will be held near enough over night for us. LA have 2028.
Boing Boing

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 10:08:17 AM »
To be honest, I would like to go to Brisbane / Melbourne / Perth / Sydney

Manchester / Brum / Glasgow dont have the same je ne sais quoi
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »
Brisbane named host of the 2032 Olympics (Australia's 3rd different host city- Could you imagine the British government looking outside London in the same way?).

It does however mean thay including this one, 3 ofbthe next 4 Olympics will be held near enough over night for us. LA have 2028.
to be fair though, Brisbane to Sydney is further than London to Aberdeen. Australia is MASSIVE so can easily have multiple host cities.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 02:51:42 PM »
The US women took a hammering, 3-0 vs Sweden, ending a huge unbeaten run. Good, have felt for a while they needed knocking down a peg or two.

England women won 2-0 while Japan and Canada in our group drew 1-1. I still think we finish 3rd in the group going in recent poor form.

The highest scoring game of the day was Zambia 3- 10 Netherlands.

The only other highlights were the start of the Softball tournament. I love the Olympics and like to take in as many different events as I can, but I just can’t do softball. I’ve tried with baseball but it doesn’t do it for me.

Tomorrow (day minus 1),  you’ve got the men’s football with the previously mentioned Germany vs Brazil game. I don’t usually pay too much attention to the football at the Olympics, it’s just another youth tournament with a few older players thrown in, but I’ll try to watch Romania vs Honduras as I’ve been following this Romania side over the last few years due to knowing a couple of Romanian fans.

The opening ceremony will be on Friday with Archery and Rowing starting.

As for the rest of the time table:

Saturday sees the GB men’s hockey start, always a personal highlight. It’s also the start of the handball tournament, which is probably the best sport not created by a Brit.

Monday 26th sees Adam Peaty look to continue ruling the world in the swimming sprints. You also have the start of the Rugby sevens.

Thursday 29th is the start of the Olympic Golf. Paul Casey and Tommy Fleetwood represent GBR looking to follow in the 2016 foot steps of Justin Rose.

Friday 30th sees the Athletics begin, the bread and butter events.

Saturday 31st sees Dina Asher-Smith hopefully competing in the 100m final.

Sunday 1st August will be the 100m men’s final in a wide open field, a weird feeling having had Bolt dominate for so long.

Monday 2nd August is the first day at the velodrome for the track cycling

Tuesday 3rd August is the women’s 200m with Asher-Smith taking on Shelly-Ann Fraser-Price and Gabby Thomas while the Kenny’s are going for medals in the cycling.

Wednesday 4th August is the men’s 200m with US superstar Noah Lyles and our own Adam Gemili. It’s also Katharine Johnson-Thompson day in the heptathlon  ;D ;D ;D

Friday 6th August sees the king of all Olympic events - the 100m relays. This is what I’m here for.

The final weekend will include a ton of team finals like Basketball, Boxing, Football and Handball.

Let the games begin  8)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 02:57:08 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 04:01:01 PM »
The US women took a hammering, 3-0 vs Sweden, ending a huge unbeaten run. Good, have felt for a while they needed knocking down a peg or two.

England women won 2-0 while Japan and Canada in our group drew 1-1. I still think we finish 3rd in the group going in recent poor form.

The highest scoring game of the day was Zambia 3- 10 Netherlands.

The only other highlights were the start of the Softball tournament. I love the Olympics and like to take in as many different events as I can, but I just can’t do softball. I’ve tried with baseball but it doesn’t do it for me.

Tomorrow (day minus 1),  you’ve got the men’s football with the previously mentioned Germany vs Brazil game. I don’t usually pay too much attention to the football at the Olympics, it’s just another youth tournament with a few older players thrown in, but I’ll try to watch Romania vs Honduras as I’ve been following this Romania side over the last few years due to knowing a couple of Romanian fans.

The opening ceremony will be on Friday with Archery and Rowing starting.

As for the rest of the time table:

Saturday sees the GB men’s hockey start, always a personal highlight. It’s also the start of the handball tournament, which is probably the best sport not created by a Brit.

Monday 26th sees Adam Peaty look to continue ruling the world in the swimming sprints. You also have the start of the Rugby sevens.

Thursday 29th is the start of the Olympic Golf. Paul Casey and Tommy Fleetwood represent GBR looking to follow in the 2016 foot steps of Justin Rose.

Friday 30th sees the Athletics begin, the bread and butter events.

Saturday 31st sees Dina Asher-Smith hopefully competing in the 100m final.

Sunday 1st August will be the 100m men’s final in a wide open field, a weird feeling having had Bolt dominate for so long.

Monday 2nd August is the first day at the velodrome for the track cycling

Tuesday 3rd August is the women’s 200m with Asher-Smith taking on Shelly-Ann Fraser-Price and Gabby Thomas while the Kenny’s are going for medals in the cycling.

Wednesday 4th August is the men’s 200m with US superstar Noah Lyles and our own Adam Gemili. It’s also Katharine Johnson-Thompson day in the heptathlon  ;D ;D ;D

Friday 6th August sees the king of all Olympic events - the 100m relays. This is what I’m here for.

The final weekend will include a ton of team finals like Basketball, Boxing, Football and Handball.

Let the games begin  8)

Nice one mate , I love the Olympics

costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 09:52:47 PM »
My nephew is in the GB rowing team. I best show an interest.  ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 08:39:30 AM »
For those who have time spare, the games are in Eurosport this morning. Just finishing off the softball, then theu havr 2 live games and a load of highlights.
Boing Boing

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 06:59:04 AM »
Road race Ian compelling viewing. So tactical and physiological and of course physically demanding. Watching riders of different nations work together to break away from main peloton or to drag it back in is fascinating.

234km down as it stands 100 to go. Come on the GB lads
O Albion we love you

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 09:23:58 AM »
Thanks for the summary Baggies - just before reading it I was thinking that I need something like that!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
Hockey is at 1030
Women's football team.play Japan at 11 30
Adam Peaty has his heats around 1 pm I think.
Boing Boing

BaggieBoy04

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 01:44:29 PM »
Gerait Thomas crashed so no gold for the Brits yet. Should be good I am interested to see Skateboarding and Biking just to see some sports at my demographic however I enjoy the others to. If the British Women at the Football win the gold as it is mostly England Players it does mean football has come home  ;)
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 02:04:46 PM »
The girl representing us in skateboarding, Skye Brown is a total nut job - 13 years of age and has already broken most of her face at some point but keeps going.

Decent day so far. The women got a great win vs a good Japan side and face Canada in a few days time to top the group. England men also won their opening field hockey game vs South Africa, which is needed given the group we're in.

Adam Peaty set the 15th fastest breastroke 100m time - also his 15th best time (which shows his dominance).

Apart from that, between the BBC main channel, Red Button and Europ sport, there's been chances to see Handball, 3x3 basketball, judo, badminton, table tennis, gymnastics, boxing and a ton of other smaller sports like fencing.

Love it.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 04:49:56 AM »
So after a full 2 days of hype, Jade Jones is knocked out first round in the Taekwondo. Had a feeling she might, it was asking a lot to get gold 3 times in a row.

Not much momentum developing for the Brits at the minute. In previous years, it’s felt like we have converted 50%-70% of the events where we are in with a chance into a Medal. Still waiting to get off the mark at the moment and can see that setting in.

Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2021, 08:44:58 AM »
Shock in the tennis, women’s number 1 Ash Barty beaten in the first round.

Still never quite sure why Tennis is in the olympics. Football, Tennis and Golf don’t belong. 

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2021, 09:39:26 AM »
Shock in the tennis, women’s number 1 Ash Barty beaten in the first round.

Still never quite sure why Tennis is in the olympics. Football, Tennis and Golf don’t belong.
Quite probably because they attract a large TV audience around the world with all the associated revenues.  Also once athletics had gone professional there were no grounds to keep them out.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2021, 09:53:27 AM »
And just like that we're guaranteed our first medal in the men's 68kgTaekwondo.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him