Author Topic: Valérien Ismaël leaves WBA  (Read 469931 times)

Pie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Valérien Ismaël - Head Coach
« Reply #3225 on: January 22, 2022, 05:50:54 PM »
Lovely concern to have.

ok maybe i should have added more. I really don't believe we will go up playing this way. However for if some reason we do then we all know VI won't change his tactics. I'm fairly confident that prem teams will just destory us when we try and play like this.

So my concern is that what is the point? why bother when we know that going up will lead to a last place finish / sacking the manager for a different tatical approach. I don't see a plan or an acheivable goal with this set up.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3226 on: January 22, 2022, 05:52:19 PM »
ok maybe i should have added more. I really don't believe we will go up playing this way. However for if some reason we do then we all know VI won't change his tactics. I'm fairly confident that prem teams will just destory us when we try and play like this.

So my concern is that what is the point? why bother when we know that going up will lead to a last place finish / sacking the manager for a different tatical approach. I don't see a plan or an acheivable goal with this set up.

So no need to concern yourself with this team getting torn a new one in the Premiership then.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3227 on: January 22, 2022, 05:55:23 PM »
He got lucky today and I really hope he learns from it. We take the lead and his system then has potential but it’s a dreadful system to play from the start against 90% of the teams in this league.

We easily have a chance of top 2 IF he quits the stubbornness. The league this year is shocking, let’s take the chance and get out. Get the money, get mullered and rebuild each year.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3228 on: January 22, 2022, 06:08:22 PM »
So lucky the team missed three great chances in the first half and the new striker went off injured.

Sorry you have been denied your weekend meltdown, your frustration is palpable.

Spot on

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3229 on: January 22, 2022, 06:10:56 PM »
So no need to concern yourself with this team getting torn a new one in the Premiership then.

Well the point still stands then - what is the point of carrying on with it.

I've made a reasonable point and you are being pedantic. 

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3230 on: January 22, 2022, 06:11:32 PM »
Arguably could and should have been double figures . Credit to VI to as I’m willing to bet when Dike went off many on here would have bought Robinson on but VI went for Diangana who proved his boss right and was the catalyst for the last 20 mins
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3231 on: January 22, 2022, 06:12:54 PM »
Well the point still stands then - what is the point of carrying on with it.

I've made a reasonable point and you are being pedantic.

For what it is worth, I agree with you that this team would get relegated from the premiership but that is still a luxury problem to have and not something that concerns me this season.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3232 on: January 22, 2022, 06:14:38 PM »
Arguably could and should have been double figures . Credit to VI to as I’m willing to bet when Dike went off many on here would have bought Robinson on but VI went for Diangana who proved his boss right and was the catalyst for the last 20 mins

I still think CR7 played an important role in our win as he the only one I see who regularly puts his foot on the ball and shows some craft. Glad to see Grady make an impact as well, he needed that for his confidence. For all that has been said about the manger and tactics, to be unbeaten at home with the best defensive record in the league is impressive.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3233 on: January 22, 2022, 06:15:05 PM »

Certainly don’t think P’Boro could had any complaints had it been 2 or 3 at half time.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3234 on: January 22, 2022, 06:23:04 PM »
I still think CR7 played an important role in our win as he the only one I see who regularly puts his foot on the ball and shows some craft. Glad to see Grady make an impact as well, he needed that for his confidence. For all that has been said about the manger and tactics, to be unbeaten at home with the best defensive record in the league is impressive.

If we played 4231 then I think Robinson in the middle of the three with Grant and Diangana either side would be pretty lively. But we don’t and never will sadly.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3235 on: January 22, 2022, 06:28:43 PM »
Perhaps we should all respect each other’s opinions a little more. Because that’s all they are - opinions.

We all want our club to do well. I’ve had almost 50 years of (mostly) disappointment but I keep coming back for more.

I’ve gradually shifted from being optimistic about Ismael to the opposite, mainly because of results and performances over the last several months. I’m afraid that view hasn’t shifted with three late goals at home to Peterborough. That’s my honest opinion, and it has built up over time rather than through the odd result here and there.

What will start to shift it positively is if the team follows up with some more positive results and performances. This was Ismael’s third win in almost three months - 3 wins in 11 games isn’t great, and we’ve failed to score in 5 of them.

I think he has the worst squad we’ve fielded for 20 years, and that’s not his fault. I cut him slack for that - I don’t think we have any right to expect automatic promotion, but we are better than the poor results and performances have been since he had such a good start in the first ten games.

So it’s about trends for me. If his next three or four results are as poor as the last three or four before today, that keeps the trend line going down. We won’t stay in the top six with the results he’s achieved over the past four months and good coaches don’t tend to make teams worse.

If he starts to get top 6 results over the next few weeks (and he needs to if we’re to stay in the top 6 for much longer), then he’ll start to restore some of my confidence.

But I’m afraid three late goals against probably the league’s worst team - welcome though it is - is not enough to persuade me that Ismael has turned the corner. It took quite a lot of poor results to turn me negative on Ismael, and likewise it’ll take quite a few positive ones to restore my belief.

That’s an honest opinion. I entirely respect that other people may see it differently. But one result isn’t enough to swing the pendulum either way on its own for me.

Pleased with the result, but not anything more than that for now.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3236 on: January 23, 2022, 07:35:53 AM »
Perhaps we should all respect each other’s opinions a little more. Because that’s all they are - opinions.

We all want our club to do well. I’ve had almost 50 years of (mostly) disappointment but I keep coming back for more.

I’ve gradually shifted from being optimistic about Ismael to the opposite, mainly because of results and performances over the last several months. I’m afraid that view hasn’t shifted with three late goals at home to Peterborough. That’s my honest opinion, and it has built up over time rather than through the odd result here and there.

What will start to shift it positively is if the team follows up with some more positive results and performances. This was Ismael’s third win in almost three months - 3 wins in 11 games isn’t great, and we’ve failed to score in 5 of them.

I think he has the worst squad we’ve fielded for 20 years, and that’s not his fault. I cut him slack for that - I don’t think we have any right to expect automatic promotion, but we are better than the poor results and performances have been since he had such a good start in the first ten games.

So it’s about trends for me. If his next three or four results are as poor as the last three or four before today, that keeps the trend line going down. We won’t stay in the top six with the results he’s achieved over the past four months and good coaches don’t tend to make teams worse.

If he starts to get top 6 results over the next few weeks (and he needs to if we’re to stay in the top 6 for much longer), then he’ll start to restore some of my confidence.

But I’m afraid three late goals against probably the league’s worst team - welcome though it is - is not enough to persuade me that Ismael has turned the corner. It took quite a lot of poor results to turn me negative on Ismael, and likewise it’ll take quite a few positive ones to restore my belief.

That’s an honest opinion. I entirely respect that other people may see it differently. But one result isn’t enough to swing the pendulum either way on its own for me.

Shockingly balanced and sensible post.  I would look forward to seeing your opinion more over the next few months.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 07:37:42 AM by Oldbury24 »

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3237 on: January 23, 2022, 09:19:50 AM »

Completely agree, it’s a poor 15 game run that one last minute win against awful opposition doesn’t solve. He does well next 5, say 12 points then we’ll be able to look a lot more optimistically. But he has to learn from today and start games differently. The system is totally ineffective when teams sit back. We get half chances and given our scoring confidence we snatch at them and miss.

I’d like to see him try a more attacking intent from the middle and try and cause teams issues that can’t see coming.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3238 on: January 23, 2022, 09:25:04 AM »
Excellent post TTree30.

It was great to get the 3 points yesterday but 1 game has not has changed my long term view on VI.

Imagine if he just rocked up with, just for example, a 4-4-2 formation one week, the opposing manager would be dumbfounded.

We need more adaptability and flexible thinking from VI for us to be successful.

As Phil says we need more attacking intent. We don't need 3 CBs for 90 minutes every game against these teams.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3239 on: January 23, 2022, 09:27:30 AM »
Excellent post TTree30.

It was great to get the 3 points yesterday but 1 game has not has changed my long term view on VI.

Imagine if he just rocked up with, just for example, a 4-4-2 formation one week, the opposing manager would be dumbfounded.

We need more adaptability and flexible thinking from VI for us to be successful.

As Phil says we need more attacking intent. We don't need 3 CBs for 90 minutes every game against these teams.

The problem is, so would our players   ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3240 on: January 23, 2022, 09:31:25 AM »
The problem is, so would our players   ;D

I think the players would (IMO) improve under almost any other system Dave.

I think Ismael needs at least 3/4 more players to make his 3-4-3 work and there's no sign of that coming sadly.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3241 on: January 23, 2022, 10:00:28 AM »
Excellent post TTree30.

3 CBs was a total waste of player resources yesterday Clarke was on the left-wing half the time like a spare part when we could have had CR in a free role.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3242 on: January 23, 2022, 10:09:50 AM »
3 CBs was a total waste of player resources yesterday Clarke was on the left-wing half the time like a spare part when we could have had CR in a free role.

It's maddening mate. I don't understand it at all.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3243 on: January 23, 2022, 10:20:50 AM »
Excellent post TTree30.

With regard to the home form what is 442 going to improve ? We have only conceded approx 6 goals at home all season in the league 2 of which came in the first game when you can argue players were still getting used to the system and each other. If you don’t concede you won’t lose was one of Megsons sayings and having scoured the ever changing rules of the game this one seems to apply still! Yes we need to be better going forward, a Koren type would be ideal . It is becoming clear that to get somebody of sufficient ability in we need to ship out Snodgrass or Zohore , encouragingly it seems we are looking in that direction so I assume the weakness has been identified
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3244 on: January 23, 2022, 10:27:18 AM »
It's maddening mate. I don't understand it at all.
As I said last week he'll hang himself in this job through being stubborn , I'd be delighted to see him take the last 15 mins on board from Yesterday .
I for one don't want us changing manager every 6 months ( although I said he'd be a bad fit from day one ) but you can't keep serving up the same tepid , robotic football and expect the paying public to stay behind you especially when not picking up points .Next two games are a chance to carry on the good stuff , fingers crossed .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3245 on: January 23, 2022, 10:28:35 AM »
With regard to the home form what is 442 going to improve ? We have only conceded approx 6 goals at home all season in the league 2 of which came in the first game when you can argue players were still getting used to the system and each other. If you don’t concede you won’t lose was one of Megsons sayings and having scoured the ever changing rules of the game this one seems to apply still! Yes we need to be better going forward, a Koren type would be ideal . It is becoming clear that to get somebody of sufficient ability in we need to ship out Snodgrass or Zohore , encouragingly it seems we are looking in that direction so I assume the weakness has been identified

I'm not saying go 4-4-2, it's just an example. Anything other than 3-4-3 every single game would keep other teams guessing at the very least.

Home form is good no argument there from me but away from home we are awful so why not mix it up is what i am saying.

Agreed we need a creative midfielder but who makes way?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3246 on: January 23, 2022, 10:31:10 AM »
As I said last week he'll hang himself in this job through being stubborn , I'd be delighted to see him take the last 15 mins on board from Yesterday .
I for one don't want us changing manager every 6 months ( although I said he'd be a bad fit from day one ) but you can't keep serving up the same tepid , robotic football and expect the paying public to stay behind you especially when not picking up points .Next two games are a chance to carry on the good stuff , fingers crossed .

I also don't want a constant manager merry-go-round but also i wouldn't let the club slip away because of a poor appointment.

No one will be happier than me if things improve.

I know people say there was no formation change yesterday but something definitely changed and it was much better.

Sadly VI has history of reverting to type at first chance available. Hopefully this time going forward he doesn't.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3247 on: January 23, 2022, 10:52:24 AM »
I can see 352 working in the Premier with better personnel where we will spend little time in possession but we ah there yet and every successful manager needs to adapt to what's happening on the pitch.
VI may have alluded to this when he mentioned having options off the bench if he's referring to different game plans then hooray for that.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3248 on: January 23, 2022, 11:13:02 AM »

Thats not happened every game but VI clearly saw this yesterday and changed it. Not so it would change the system specifically, but so a player would be on who’s attributes matched the space they were occupying.

Yesterdays result is long over due. A bit more composure and we could have done that to a couple of sides recently. Sadly we haven’t, and it seems many fans have made up their minds up, but they way some turned on VI during the game was disappointing. . Our home form has certainly been pretty good.(best ppg in the division)

Hopefully we can win on Wednesday but it is away games where we need to turn the tide. From memory Bilic had to go and get a win at Millwall under a bit of pressure and hopefully VI can do the same.

9 points from 9 in 8 days would go some way to getting fans back on side.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:17:10 AM by johnny Cash »

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3249 on: January 23, 2022, 11:22:33 AM »
Thats not happened every game but VI clearly saw this yesterday and changed it. Not so it would change the system specifically, but so a player would be on who’s attributes matched the space they were occupying.

Yesterdays result is long over due. A bit more composure and we could have done that to a couple of sides recently. Sadly we haven’t, and it seems many fans have made up their minds up, but they way some turned on VI during the game was disappointing. . Our home form has certainly been pretty good.(best ppg in the division)

Hopefully we can win on Wednesday but it is away games where we need to turn the tide. From memory Bilic had to go and get a win at Millwall under a bit of pressure and hopefully VI can do the same.

9 points from 9 in 8 days would go some way to getting fans back on side.

Thanks for the update yesterday's game was the first I have seen in a while via a stream and it looked very disjointed, glad to know it's not like that every game!