Author Topic: Valérien Ismaël leaves WBA  (Read 463597 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Valérien Ismaël - Head Coach
« Reply #1150 on: October 22, 2021, 02:50:22 PM »
I think the problem we've got is the players aren't physically capable of maintaining the press. With that in mind we're looking to press and play in phases.

Unfortunately some of the players are clearly pressing and playing out of synch' with their teammates. They're getting caught in two minds and the result is a disjointed hotch potch of a team pattern. When it clicks it clicks.

We just need to click more often than we have of late. A lot more. Let's face it, given we get the ball forward quickly from the back it was never going to be pretty with Bartley and Ajayi's blindfold sling shot approach to passing.

Work in progress......

A very well balanced post on where things stand at the moment, I agree with it all and it’s where I stand too.

The swarm and high levels of intensity we saw at the start of the season have dropped. I think Val needs a better squad and the ability to rotate starting 11s. He doesn’t yet have that so as Smersh has said we are perhaps seeing a plan B of phased approaches and they just aren’t in sync with each other.

This all needs time and I’ve got a lot more patience to wait and see how it works. We’re 3rd and we’ll and truly in the promotion race and after losing Pereira and bringing in very little quality it’s all I would ask for.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1151 on: October 22, 2021, 03:00:30 PM »
You would hope we would still win more than we lose the way we are going, and if injuries and a thin squad means that is the play off lottery then so be it.  Bournemouth and Fulham could pull away now.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1152 on: October 22, 2021, 03:28:53 PM »
A very well balanced post on where things stand at the moment, I agree with it all and it’s where I stand too.

The swarm and high levels of intensity we saw at the start of the season have dropped. I think Val needs a better squad and the ability to rotate starting 11s. He doesn’t yet have that so as Smersh has said we are perhaps seeing a plan B of phased approaches and they just aren’t in sync with each other.

This all needs time and I’ve got a lot more patience to wait and see how it works. We’re 3rd and we’ll and truly in the promotion race and after losing Pereira and bringing in very little quality it’s all I would ask for.

I would also agree we arent capable of maintaining the press, but in part that is because we are so poor on the ball.  Even being that poor, we are generally having more possession than other sides (other than vs Swansea), so if we were better and got possession to 60-65%, there would naturally be less pressing needed.

How you transition to making that work being a weaker side if we were to get promoted is problem for another day!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1153 on: October 22, 2021, 08:17:06 PM »

What’s ya thoughts Smersh?😂

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1154 on: October 22, 2021, 08:24:09 PM »
I don't think it's fitness that has stopped our press working - it's the opposition easily reacting to it.  Swansea played far more long balls against us than they have in previous matches.  There was a Sky stat in one of our other games showing how recent teams have started to hit 20-30% more long balls than they normally do when they come up against us.  It makes sense, tell your defence to hit it long - quickly - then it negates our press and puts pressure on our error prone backline to defend balls over the top.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1155 on: October 23, 2021, 01:14:29 AM »
What’s ya thoughts Smersh?😂

It's my considered opinion that this Smersh chap's got something about him. Whatever that something is isn't entirely balanced but we can't have everything. Fine lines and all that ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1156 on: October 23, 2021, 10:25:58 AM »
Apparently they are all working together on a January transfer plan which is great to hear but what Lai will actually sanction is another thing.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1157 on: October 23, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »
Apparently they are all working together on a January transfer plan which is great to hear but what Lai will actually sanction is another thing.

Transfer plans are great but I'm struggling to remember the last time one of them came together. We tend to lack the imagination and dynamism of the A Team. Wonder how quickly we'll slip through to plan 'Z' this time around.......
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1158 on: October 23, 2021, 11:13:49 AM »

Did they mention the 'competitive budget?'  ;D
MAGA!

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1159 on: October 23, 2021, 11:48:27 AM »
Do you know what, Im all for freedom of speech but the way a few on here who are hypercritical of Val never ceases to amaze me, I comfort myself by thinking that this is a fraction of what supporters are feeling, would some of you be happy if we were 3rd from bottom? Then you can criticise him, but 3rd from top really?
What do you want great play or results?
Sometimes you can't have both in fact it's rare
Cut the fella some slack he's been here weeks out of a 4 year project, he's had no money and given us all something to chear and really think about his methods of play, sure sometimes it's not pretty but only lost 2? Come on get being him

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1160 on: October 23, 2021, 12:37:16 PM »
Do you know what, Im all for freedom of speech but the way a few on here who are hypercritical of Val never ceases to amaze me, I comfort myself by thinking that this is a fraction of what supporters are feeling, would some of you be happy if we were 3rd from bottom? Then you can criticise him, but 3rd from top really?
What do you want great play or results?
Sometimes you can't have both in fact it's rare
Cut the fella some slack he's been here weeks out of a 4 year project, he's had no money and given us all something to chear and really think about his methods of play, sure sometimes it's not pretty but only lost 2? Come on get being him
I'm not sure this negativity applies just to Albion fans or even football just look at the negativity in the media, unreal, unrelenting, this is the first time I have been on since Wednesday as I couldn't be bothered to read the hyperbole that was about to be unleashed because we lost a game even today I just checked in to see how the land lies, a bit rocky ah it.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1161 on: October 23, 2021, 01:08:16 PM »
Transfer plans are great but I'm struggling to remember the last time one of them came together. We tend to lack the imagination and dynamism of the A Team. Wonder how quickly we'll slip through to plan 'Z' this time around.......

Did they mention the 'competitive budget?'  ;D

The cynical Albion fan in me half thinks it's too drum up some half season ticket sales because I think that's going to be hard sell with the style of football we play now but generally Dan you are correct. We have had plans and lists since Dowling was here and virtually nothing ever came of it.

VI wants Dike, we all know it so you would hope we already know whether he's interested in coming or not. Wages shouldn't be a problem as MLS site states he's on 124k a year base salary which is about 90k in pounds. He will ask for 5 figures I'd imagine after a good half season in the EFL last year though. Can't see how long is left on his contract though. I'd guess we are looking at 9-10m to get him with another 6 months of his contract run down.

Skyclad perhaps they were holding the money till Jan and hoping we were still in with a shout of promotion by then by signing frees or loans? I'm being really optimistic here  ;D

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1162 on: October 23, 2021, 05:10:32 PM »
It's my considered opinion that this Smersh chap's got something about him. Whatever that something is isn't entirely balanced but we can't have everything. Fine lines and all that ;D .
Wasn’t Smersh one of James Bonds enemies organisations ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1163 on: October 23, 2021, 07:27:29 PM »
Yes I think they were the ones who didn't tolerate failure and had women with poisoned knives in their shoes.  A bit like marriage really.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1164 on: October 23, 2021, 07:39:56 PM »

SMERSH was the original name for SPECTRE in the Ian Fleming novels.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1165 on: October 23, 2021, 08:11:16 PM »
Yes I think they were the ones who didn't tolerate failure and had women with poisoned knives in their shoes.  A bit like marriage really.

You mean Rosa Clebb.  Don't go on a date with her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXAojTEkvg
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 08:13:56 PM by NJS »
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1166 on: October 23, 2021, 08:42:03 PM »
We were good today. The press had high energy. I liked his subs they took momentum out game for bristol city.

Think he and his tactice benefited from a fresh pair in central midfield. Which shows he shouldnt be afraid to rotate his players to get the results he wants
O Albion we love you

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1167 on: October 23, 2021, 10:40:43 PM »
Well done Ishmael cracking performance today and liked that you weren’t impressed with distribution from back line in post match comments keep their feet on the ground. Hopefully Livermore will find he’s got competition his spot and won’t walk back into team next game, delighted for Hugill to get on score sheet and hopefully he will produce the goods on a regular basis.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #1168 on: October 24, 2021, 09:58:09 AM »
The key will be what he does in the next game.

He was forced into changing the central midfielders due to injury and suspension, whilst some of yesterday was down to Bristol being poor it cannot be overlooked that Molumby looked far more mobile than Livermore or Mowatt. In addition Snodgrass combined his experience with quality on the ball which caused havoc.

Its got to be Molumby alongside either Snodgrass or Mowatt for me.  If Snodgrass is fit then id make the other two wait for their chance, nothing like competition for places.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1169 on: October 24, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »
The key will be what he does in the next game.

If Snodgrass is fit then id make the other two wait for their chance, nothing like competition for places.

Agree completely. Amazes me sometimes how easy sometimes players can walk back in to a side, it must be demoralising for the replaced and all the squad players.  If either of Mowatt or Livermore deserve to walk straight in, it’s clearly Mowatt.

However as the next match is Fulham, I’d not be surprised to see VI revert. Let’s see if he’s brave enough to leave the captain out.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #1170 on: October 24, 2021, 10:27:25 AM »
Chatting yesterday at the game the argument could be made to have three in midfield against Fulham, but cannot see Val changing tactics.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1171 on: October 24, 2021, 11:32:19 AM »
Chatting yesterday at the game the argument could be made to have three in midfield against Fulham, but cannot see Val changing tactics.
always thought three in midfield is the better option for us but would Val convert to back four or would he stick with three at back keep two wing backs go three across middle and two up top?

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1172 on: October 24, 2021, 02:49:12 PM »
Agree completely. Amazes me sometimes how easy sometimes players can walk back in to a side, it must be demoralising for the replaced and all the squad players.  If either of Mowatt or Livermore deserve to walk straight in, it’s clearly Mowatt.

However as the next match is Fulham, I’d not be surprised to see VI revert. Let’s see if he’s brave enough to leave the captain out.
For me the best 2 passers are Mowatt and Snodgrass. They know how to weight a pass accurately and quickly. If we want the ball played into the feet of our forwards, these 2 will provide most quality. However, ball winning ability is also needed, so this is where Livermore is better.  And if you want someone able to cover lots of ground, then Mulumby is the best.
Not an easy selection. If you choose 3 then you probably have to restrict Furlong and Townsend getting forward, or go 2 up front which gives us less firepower in front of goal.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1173 on: October 30, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »
Has set up today like a lower league team in a 3rd Round FA Cup tie.

As soon as Fulham scored the 1st goal it was all over.

Certain players are not good enough, you know the ones.

Distinctly 3rd favourites for the title.

If the Manager doesn't get his team selection correct then he's going to come under further fire, simple.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1174 on: October 30, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »
Has set up today like a lower league team in a 3rd Round FA Cup tie.

As soon as Fulham scored the 1st goal it was all over.

Certain players are not good enough, you know the ones.

Distinctly 3rd favourites for the title.

If the Manager doesn't get his team selection correct then he's going to come under further fire, simple.

Whilst I’m no fan of his tactics and how he’s making us play, he’s been a bit unlucky today. That being said that’s part of football and I’m interested to see how he reacts. If he changes nothing then we should sack him tonight