Author Topic: Our squad  (Read 22526 times)

Brooklynbaggie

• Junior Baggie

Re: Our squad
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2021, 04:50:51 PM »
I just hope we build a squad of our own any loan players compliment our squad and don’t end up with our first team built around them. We have to have an end of season squad we can build and improve on for the following season and find ourselves in a position where we have to buy or loan again just to have a decent first team. Whoever is our next manager the board must back them and help create continuity in our team. Promoted or relegated and money spent must make us a better team. Without this it’s a downward spiral.
As it is we have a total rebuild of the centre midfield needed and some sort of goal threat would be nice. If it takes another year so be it but let’s not go for the short term fix again and get a ream of our own.
Loan players are an important option to utilise but not to build around.
Defence and keeper I reckon we’re okay for the champ, out wide we’re okay albeit I do fear for Robinson if wider is appointed.
The next week or so will hopefully give us an idea??

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2021, 05:56:13 PM »
I'm with you regarding Townsend, if you watch him when we're being attacked he's just all over the place positionally and it has loads of knock on effects for the rest of the defence and midfield.

Annoyingly though, he is most likely to be first choice next season.
I did mean to come back on this....so I will. It's a pretty common event these days for teams to expect quite a bit in attack from their fullbacks and a lot of fullbacks don't look great defensively...especially when they get little protection from whoever is playing in front of them. Is Townsend any worse than Gibbs defensively ?, don't think so. Does he get much help from whoever is playing wide left ? Nope. He's also been playing wingback a fair bit of course which is a different role again. He's also one of the few players 'left at home' when we are being countered from our own corners and is sometimes faced with 3 or 4 attackers flooding forward.  Anyway this probably should be in the Townsend thread...he's easily good enough for first choice Championship LB and is likely to improve further. I can see him serving us well for another 4 or 5 years...unless someone comes in for him.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2021, 06:22:41 PM »
I did mean to come back on this....so I will. It's a pretty common event these days for teams to expect quite a bit in attack from their fullbacks and a lot of fullbacks don't look great defensively...especially when they get little protection from whoever is playing in front of them. Is Townsend any worse than Gibbs defensively ?, don't think so. Does he get much help from whoever is playing wide left ? Nope. He's also been playing wingback a fair bit of course which is a different role again. He's also one of the few players 'left at home' when we are being countered from our own corners and is sometimes faced with 3 or 4 attackers flooding forward.  Anyway this probably should be in the Townsend thread...he's easily good enough for first choice Championship LB and is likely to improve further. I can see him serving us well for another 4 or 5 years...unless someone comes in for him.

I have no problem with him being 1st choice in the Champ but i think he drifts inside way too much
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2021, 02:55:16 PM »
Anyone else slightly concerned about the lack of players with first team experience in our squad. I’m really looking forward to this season and have great faith in VI. However, 13 senior players have left probably 2 more to follow. So far 2 in not counting QC. Zohore is our only recognised CF and is unlikely to be a first choice. I think our first choice 11 is good at this level but a few injuries and we are looking at the bottom of that barrel! I’ll be happier with the policy of bringing in the youth players only if we make 3/4 signings but with little time until the first match fear that our season could be well underway before the cavalry arrive!

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2021, 03:09:50 PM »
Anyone else slightly concerned about the lack of players with first team experience in our squad. I’m really looking forward to this season and have great faith in VI. However, 13 senior players have left probably 2 more to follow. So far 2 in not counting QC. Zohore is our only recognised CF and is unlikely to be a first choice. I think our first choice 11 is good at this level but a few injuries and we are looking at the bottom of that barrel! I’ll be happier with the policy of bringing in the youth players only if we make 3/4 signings but with little time until the first match fear that our season could be well underway before the cavalry arrive!
I agree with you and said something similar a week or so ago. Promoting a couple of young players into the first team squad is fine if they're good enough, but not 5 or 6 which is simply too many if we're looking to push for promotion. We're definitely short of centre forwards and also both wing-back positions, which are absolutely key to Valerien's tactics, aren't looking ideal if Furlong or Townsend are unable to play.

If we don't get everything sorted until the end of August, we'll have played 5 league games by then and a bad start would inevitably create additional pressure and even potential doubts about Valerien by short-termist fans. Any new players coming in will need time to be integrated into our system, so the sooner reinforcements arrive the better.

Clubs trying to play a game of brinkmanship right up until the transfer deadline isn't a sensible strategy and is more likely to lead to ill thought out transfers which are less likely to be a success. The sooner Johnstone and/or Pereira leave the better really, as we're obviously dependent on these before we can make key signings.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2021, 04:11:01 PM »
I agree with you and said something similar a week or so ago. Promoting a couple of young players into the first team squad is fine if they're good enough, but not 5 or 6 which is simply too many if we're looking to push for promotion. We're definitely short of centre forwards and also both wing-back positions, which are absolutely key to Valerien's tactics, aren't looking ideal if Furlong or Townsend are unable to play.

If we don't get everything sorted until the end of August, we'll have played 5 league games by then and a bad start would inevitably create additional pressure and even potential doubts about Valerien by short-termist fans. Any new players coming in will need time to be integrated into our system, so the sooner reinforcements arrive the better.

Clubs trying to play a game of brinkmanship right up until the transfer deadline isn't a sensible strategy and is more likely to lead to ill thought out transfers which are less likely to be a success. The sooner Johnstone and/or Pereira leave the better really, as we're obviously dependent on these before we can make key signings.
I am tempted to agree that banking decent amounts now is good, but when the Citeh Grealish monopoly money gets circulating in the the system, all realistic values will go out the window

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
Is Robinson not a centre forward? or do you see him in a deeper role.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2021, 04:08:15 PM »
From the end of last season we lost: Gallagher, Maitland-Niles, Diagne, Yokuslu, Ivanovic, Gibbs, Peltier, HRK, Grosicki, Harper.
We signed: Mowatt and Clarke.
I'm not saying we should have kept the players we lost (HRK, Peltier etc) but its clear we are short in a few positions.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2021, 06:25:44 PM »
From the end of last season we lost: Gallagher, Maitland-Niles, Diagne, Yokuslu, Ivanovic, Gibbs, Peltier, HRK, Grosicki, Harper.

Those crossed out were largely irrelevant (rightly or wrongly), so we are 4 loanees plus HRK down, 2 in - so in real terms its not quite so bad and then we will again utilise loanees later in the window.

There will be a load of players available on loan due to clubs looking to reduce wage bills.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2021, 06:36:59 PM »

Those crossed out were largely irrelevant (rightly or wrongly), so we are 4 loanees plus HRK down, 2 in - so in real terms its not quite so bad and then we will again utilise loanees later in the window.

There will be a load of players available on loan due to clubs looking to reduce wage bills.

Given the lack of money spent so far, I think loans could have a huge effect on the league this season. If any side gets a couple of prospects who really take to the championship and hit the ground running it could really propel them up the league.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:40:47 PM by johnny Cash »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2021, 06:55:15 PM »
Given the lack of money spent so far, I think loans could have a huge effect on the league this season. If any side gets a couple of prospects who really take to the championship and hit the ground running it could really propel them up the league.

Agreed, look at the stock piling by top clubs and there will be a load of decent surplus talent available I would imagine
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2021, 07:33:00 PM »
Is Robinson not a centre forward? or do you see him in a deeper role.
I always saw Robinson as more of a wide frontman - more like Grant, Diangana or Phillips.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2021, 07:36:07 PM »
What’s the rule on the number of loan players that any one side can include in their squad/team?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2021, 07:42:43 PM »
What’s the rule on the number of loan players that any one side can include in their squad/team?

I believe it’s 5 in a match day squad.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2021, 08:11:17 PM »
I believe it’s 5 in a match day squad.
Thanks - not too much of a restriction then and still leaves us with the possibility of 4 more if we included Clarke in the squad.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2021, 08:26:02 PM »
At this moment in time we are rightly among the favourites. No Champ clubs are doing much in terms of business so, if it started now, I would be very confident.
As the window progresses, we will, almost undoubtedly, out buy / out loan our competitors so our chances should only improve.

The biggest question, for me, is the manager, but, I think he will prove to be the signing of the summer, and hopefully, a few more summers to come.

I know last year cast a lot of doubts, but, a forward line including Grant, Robinson and Diangana, at this level, is, potentially, phenomenal. add an out and out striker and we're good to go.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2021, 08:30:21 PM »
At this moment in time we are rightly among the favourites. No Champ clubs are doing much in terms of business so, if it started now, I would be very confident.
As the window progresses, we will, almost undoubtedly, out buy / out loan our competitors so our chances should only improve.

The biggest question, for me, is the manager, but, I think he will prove to be the signing of the summer, and hopefully, a few more summers to come.

I know last year cast a lot of doubts, but, a forward line including Grant, Robinson and Diangana, at this level, is, potentially, phenomenal. add an out and out striker and we're good to go.

Good point about the manager. Not just ourselves either. The 3 relegated teams have the best teams/squads on paper but all have new managers. I think a lot will depend which managers gel with their new players best if anything. Failed appointments may cost the 3 teams relegated, hopefully it's the other 2 and not us.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #117 on: July 30, 2021, 01:14:44 PM »
Just watched the highlights vs Watford on the official Site.  Couple of occasions Watford broke very quickly through the high press and only Ajayi could comfortably get back.  O'Shea though I like the guy was left for dead.  I think we need at least 2 speedy defenders for this style of play.  Allegedly Clarke is not rapid so I would expect Ajayi may be a fixture. 
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Ronnie Allen

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2021, 05:14:05 PM »
Good point about the manager. Not just ourselves either. The 3 relegated teams have the best teams/squads on paper but all have new managers. I think a lot will depend which managers gel with their new players best if anything. Failed appointments may cost the 3 teams relegated, hopefully it's the other 2 and not us.

I went to this as it's only a half hour drive from where I live. You’re spot on with this comment. We had the bulk of possession, but when we lost the ball, or their defenders/gk spotted the channel, the long ball caused us a lot of problems. If Watford had been more clinical in their finishing, we’d have conceded two or three. O’Shea was left one on one with their new Colombian guy a few times. I was reminded of what Vardy and co did to us end of last season.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2021, 05:28:54 PM »
I went to this as it's only a half hour drive from where I live. You’re spot on with this comment. We had the bulk of possession, but when we lost the ball, or their defenders/gk spotted the channel, the long ball caused us a lot of problems. If Watford had been more clinical in their finishing, we’d have conceded two or three. O’Shea was left one on one with their new Colombian guy a few times. I was reminded of what Vardy and co did to us end of last season.

Hopefully those gaps become less and less as we adapt to the style more. Be interesting season if nothing else!

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #120 on: July 30, 2021, 05:38:01 PM »
Just watched the highlights vs Watford on the official Site.  Couple of occasions Watford broke very quickly through the high press and only Ajayi could comfortably get back.  O'Shea though I like the guy was left for dead.  I think we need at least 2 speedy defenders for this style of play.  Allegedly Clarke is not rapid so I would expect Ajayi may be a fixture.
Yeah, any time we come up against a team with quick forwards we're going to come up against that. Can't understand the Clarke signing if he's not fast. Maybe we should be looking to sell O'Shea because he's not suited either. In fact very few of our players are suited to the style VI wants to play. Makes you wonder why he was hired really.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2021, 05:54:48 PM »
It also illustrates why the wing-backs are crucial - they'll need to be here, there and everywhere! As they'll do a lot of running, probably moreso than anyone else in the side, there will need to be plenty of decent alternative options in those 2 positions.

Square pegs in round holes for the wing-back and centre forward positions could easily scupper our style of play.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2021, 05:04:03 PM »
No more signings expected apparently,  VI happy with squad.   :o

Source. Tom Ross.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:12:21 PM by TheJacko2000 »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »
No more signings expected apparently,  VI happy with squad.   :o

Source. Tom Ross.

I’m sure he means before the Bournemouth game. There’s not a chance that the window shuts without us signing another player. Otherwise I’m expecting him to walk the league as he clearly has the perfect squad.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2021, 05:26:49 PM »
Given the depth of our squad, I can see us doing a Leeds first season under Bielsa (at best). Starting strong and tiring as the season goes on due to tiredness, injuries and lack of squad depth. Ultimately failing to gain promotion.