1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441650 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #3200 on: June 16, 2021, 12:09:51 AM »
Scott Parker, no from me too cautious as a coach baffling that Bournemouth want him after Howe.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3201 on: June 16, 2021, 01:35:06 AM »
EXCLUSIVE: West Brom turn to China as miracle-worker wanted for top job

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-west-brom-target-china-for-next-manager

Please copy the article, do not just put a link

Spaniard Javier Pereira is in contention to take charge of West Brom, who were forced to re-open their search for a new head coach after David Wagner turned them down, TEAMtalk understands.

The Baggies had narrowed down their search to Wagner after a move for Chris Wilder was vetoed by the club’s owners, whilst they decided against the likes of Michael Appleton. But after agreeing terms with the former Huddersfield boss, Wagner instead decided to take charge of Swiss champions Young Boys.

Now the club have dispensed with the services of sporting director Luke Dowling and are relying on Chinese chief executive Xu Ke. Ke has been looking at his options and we understand they are keen on Pereira.

Former Fulham sporting director Pereira has impressed hugely in China, as he performed miracles in keeping Henan Jianye in the top-flight.

That has brought him to the attention of the club’s owners, who will have a big say in the next boss – as they have proved when they ruled out the appointment of Wilder.

Sheffield United held talks with Pereira but instead went for Slavisa Jokanovic, who ironically worked with Pereira at Craven Cottage.

West Brom are now looking closely Pereira, who is ready to move back to Europe, and England where he has a very good reputation within the game.

And no place more so than Fulham, who we understand are also interested in him – with Scott Parker set for an imminent exit.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3202 on: June 16, 2021, 08:13:05 AM »
Hopefully Vitor Pereira not Javier Pereira

Nope, defo Javier.
Not much difference between them, both have similar CV's
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3203 on: June 16, 2021, 08:57:27 AM »
Hopefully Vitor Pereira not Javier Pereira
Hopefully neither
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3204 on: June 16, 2021, 09:02:19 AM »
Okay done some research on Javier Pereira and whether he might qualify to work in the UK. Had he not worked in the UK before the new rules come into force not a hope in hell. However he was at Fulham last year and therefore might have been granted "pre settled status" which allows him to continue to live and work in the UK subject to minimum earning criteria (not a problem). He will retain this status providing he returns to the UK within 2 years of his departure.

On that basis I cannot dismiss the link as utter tosh. I am not sure as to what to make of it hugely experienced as a coach but hardly any of it as a Head Coach. He has 10 games under his belt with  Henan Songshan Longmen who are one of the lesser lights of the CSL prior to that he had a short spell in charge at Alaves but that was more than 10 years ago.

It's not a no,  it's I just don't know.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Pelada

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3205 on: June 16, 2021, 09:03:18 AM »
I fully expect Lai to pick someone who has done half-decent in the Chinese Super League, on the clueless basis that means they should be able to succeed in England. Just like how he bought that Chinese striker that turned out to be terrible.

Couldn’t agree more. This is what you get when a rich person has no critic.

Frightening what we could end up with.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3206 on: June 16, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »
Couldn’t agree more. This is what you get when a rich person has no critic.

Frightening what we could end up with.

I hope that everyone will be as negative to this prospect, as they have been to everyone previously mentioned.
This is no longer an opportunity for a novice......this club needs a big-hitter

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3207 on: June 16, 2021, 09:20:03 AM »
I have been thinking of some 'left field' candidates......one that appeals to me is Duncan Ferguson who is currently assistant manager at Everton.
Seems to be very highly rated, Anchelotti was very complimentary about his coaching ability.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3208 on: June 16, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »
I have been thinking of some 'left field' candidates......one that appeals to me is Duncan Ferguson who is currently assistant manager at Everton.
Seems to be very highly rated, Anchelotti was very complimentary about his coaching ability.
Good one mate, he has turned down the opportunity to go to Real Madrid, and rumour has it that if Nuno goes to Everton he does not want him.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3209 on: June 16, 2021, 09:51:09 AM »
Good one mate, he has turned down the opportunity to go to Real Madrid, and rumour has it that if Nuno goes to Everton he does not want him.

thats Nuno on to a loser straight away then with the fans. Big Dunc is like royalty up there

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3210 on: June 16, 2021, 09:56:08 AM »
It's certainly worth unearthing some left-field possibilities, although I'm in two minds as to whether Ferguson should be one of them given that he's been convicted of assault on 4 separate occasions. Although the last of these was in 1994 (for an on the pitch headbutt), it does raise some question marks over whether he'd have a suitable temperament for the rigours of a demanding head coach role. He's also Everton through and through, so may not be ready to leave them yet.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3211 on: June 16, 2021, 10:00:31 AM »

I was looking at potential assistants who might step up (I'm not that enthusiastic about rookie head coaches) the 3 obvious ones are Ferguson, Carrick and Terry. Of the 3 Ferguson would be a clear favourite in my view and he is likely to be available because Nuno comes with a complete backroom staff.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3212 on: June 16, 2021, 10:18:01 AM »
I was looking at potential assistants who might step up (I'm not that enthusiastic about rookie head coaches) the 3 obvious ones are Ferguson, Carrick and Terry. Of the 3 Ferguson would be a clear favourite in my view and he is likely to be available because Nuno comes with a complete backroom staff.

I imagine if Dunc gets the boot at Everton he will take Ancelotti up on the Real Madrid job. He’s only originally said no as he feels he has a chance of getting The Everton job.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3213 on: June 16, 2021, 10:23:20 AM »
No idea what his coaching and managerial skills are like. From seeing him on the touchline I've got the impression Mr. Ferguson's very much a heart on sleeve kind of bloke who exhorts the virtues of aaaaaard work and effort.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3214 on: June 16, 2021, 10:45:34 AM »
I imagine if Dunc gets the boot at Everton he will take Ancelotti up on the Real Madrid job. He’s only originally said no as he feels he has a chance of getting The Everton job.

That's interesting, my view is that this is a watershed moment for him in terms of being a coach if he wants to be a Head Coach then this is it he has 7 years working with the first team at Everton, they aren't going to give him the job and if he choses to follow Ancelotti to Real Madrid at the age of 49 that's probably the die cast in terms of his coaching career. Maybe he is only interested in working for Everton he might not be prepared to put himself through the hassle for another job

MBWBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3215 on: June 16, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »
No idea what his coaching and managerial skills are like. From seeing him on the touchline I've got the impression Mr. Ferguson's very much a heart on sleeve kind of bloke who exhorts the virtues of aaaaaard work and effort.

3 draws and a loss when in charge of Everton on a temp basis

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3216 on: June 16, 2021, 10:52:41 AM »
He also had that weird moment when he subbed off Moises Kean not long after subbing him on and was largely criticised for doing so.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3217 on: June 16, 2021, 11:04:38 AM »
It's certainly worth unearthing some left-field possibilities, although I'm in two minds as to whether Ferguson should be one of them given that he's been convicted of assault on 4 separate occasions. Although the last of these was in 1994 (for an on the pitch headbutt), it does raise some question marks over whether he'd have a suitable temperament for the rigours of a demanding head coach role. He's also Everton through and through, so may not be ready to leave them yet.

The club will probably find him a house in Friar Park
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3218 on: June 16, 2021, 11:34:14 AM »
3 draws and a loss when in charge of Everton on a temp basis

2 years ago he had 4 games as caretaker and actually beat Chelsea 3-1 drew with 1:1 Man U and Drew 0:0 with Arsenal losing to Leicester City on pens in the League having drawn 2:2 at full time. And it is completely and utterly irrelevant either way. 

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3219 on: June 16, 2021, 11:47:09 AM »
I've noticed Fabio Cannavaro has been a successful coach in China over the last few years. Even taking the national team as caretaker at one point and is clearly though of highly over there. I wonder if he could be tempted by Lai, I don't know about his style and not saying that I even want him but just thinking about possibilities of who could come over.

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3220 on: June 16, 2021, 11:59:28 AM »
Please copy the article, do not just put a link

Spaniard Javier Pereira is in contention to take charge of West Brom, who were forced to re-open their search for a new head coach after David Wagner turned them down, TEAMtalk understands.

The Baggies had narrowed down their search to Wagner after a move for Chris Wilder was vetoed by the club’s owners, whilst they decided against the likes of Michael Appleton. But after agreeing terms with the former Huddersfield boss, Wagner instead decided to take charge of Swiss champions Young Boys.

Now the club have dispensed with the services of sporting director Luke Dowling and are relying on Chinese chief executive Xu Ke. Ke has been looking at his options and we understand they are keen on Pereira.

Former Fulham sporting director Pereira has impressed hugely in China, as he performed miracles in keeping Henan Jianye in the top-flight.

That has brought him to the attention of the club’s owners, who will have a big say in the next boss – as they have proved when they ruled out the appointment of Wilder.

Sheffield United held talks with Pereira but instead went for Slavisa Jokanovic, who ironically worked with Pereira at Craven Cottage.

West Brom are now looking closely Pereira, who is ready to move back to Europe, and England where he has a very good reputation within the game.

And no place more so than Fulham, who we understand are also interested in him – with Scott Parker set for an imminent exit.

Also spent a few months as Assistant Director of Football Operations at Fulham according to his Wicki page.  Maybe he will get both posts and one his first jobs will be to sack himself.

MBWBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3221 on: June 16, 2021, 12:57:19 PM »
2 years ago he had 4 games as caretaker and actually beat Chelsea 3-1 drew with 1:1 Man U and Drew 0:0 with Arsenal losing to Leicester City on pens in the League having drawn 2:2 at full time. And it is completely and utterly irrelevant either way.

Either way, never going to get the job here.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3222 on: June 16, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »
No chance of Big Dunc and Lai appearing in the same photo, yet alone on the same management team

Lai and Dunc
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 01:15:30 PM by OldburyWBA »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3223 on: June 16, 2021, 02:07:34 PM »
Ralf Rangnick is the man that we need, answers the question about the D.O.F too, he can do the lot . Let him bring his right hand man, and have Brunt and Mozza as his runners, and we are sorted. I believe he was close to joining us a few years ago, and he is not working at present.
Just look at his profile on wikipedia or elsewhere, and tell me anyone better suited for us, excluding Guardiaola etc.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3224 on: June 16, 2021, 02:27:52 PM »
Ralf Rangnick is the man that we need, answers the question about the D.O.F too, he can do the lot . Let him bring his right hand man, and have Brunt and Mozza as his runners, and we are sorted. I believe he was close to joining us a few years ago, and he is not working at present.
Just look at his profile on wikipedia or elsewhere, and tell me anyone better suited for us, excluding Guardiaola etc.

Just look at this wikipedia and tell me why he would ever join a basket case championship club