1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446542 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #3025 on: June 14, 2021, 08:22:20 PM »
Perfectly reasonable statement, with numerous other clubs ST sales well under way.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't springs to mind.
I appreciate he / they didn't try to bull us on that one , it hasn't gone smoothly and they admit it . No problem with it .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3026 on: June 14, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »
Anyone else just got an e-mail with the Statement addressed to Graham?  ;D :-X
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3027 on: June 14, 2021, 08:28:35 PM »
No issue with that statement. Liked the fact they are going to take their time and TRY to make the right choice rather than pinning the tail on any donkey like in the past. Also a healthy budget mentioned which is good news. With the fees from Hegazi, Ferguson and SJ at the least to come we are in a great spot compared to the rest of the EFL.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3028 on: June 14, 2021, 08:29:28 PM »

Blimey they make it hard to like 'em, mine had the correct name at least which was nice.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3029 on: June 14, 2021, 08:30:19 PM »
It isn't about season tickets.
The only bit of the statement that actually said anything meaningful was the bit about season tickets, so can only assume that it was.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3030 on: June 14, 2021, 08:30:58 PM »
Sorry but what is wrong with the statement?

Healthy budget for next season - tick
Promotion a priority - tick
Right man rather than quick decision - tick
Early bird season tickets on sale - tick

I think some are just so angry at the minute that they just can't see anything positive.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3031 on: June 14, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »
I appreciate he / they didn't try to bull us on that one , it hasn't gone smoothly and they admit it . No problem with it .
They admit it? Haha, they could hardly say otherwise

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3032 on: June 14, 2021, 08:33:29 PM »
Perfectly reasonable statement.

Admitted things haven’t gone as planned and that they need to make the right appointment not just ‘an appointment’

Perhaps with Dowling gone we will start broadening our search away from these shores for both manager and players

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3033 on: June 14, 2021, 08:33:37 PM »
They admit it? Haha, they could hardly say otherwise
The bloke whose just gone would have tried !
They didn't have to admit it in fairness , could have easily brushed over it .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3034 on: June 14, 2021, 08:34:41 PM »

Not Graham but I am now apparently known as Luke ;D

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3035 on: June 14, 2021, 08:36:49 PM »

Admitted things haven’t gone as planned and that they need to make the right appointment not just ‘an appointment’

Perhaps with Dowling gone we will start broadening our search away from these shores for both manager and players

My biggest concern is none of them are remotely interested in football so wouldn’t even know names of any foreign coaches.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3036 on: June 14, 2021, 08:37:22 PM »
Not much good having a healthy budget when you have nobody in situ to make use of it !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3037 on: June 14, 2021, 08:38:10 PM »

I think some are just so angry at the minute that they just can't see anything positive.

There is the usual frothing at the mouth on several outlets. I cant see what else the bloke can say , several people have asked whats happening about season tickets the answer is there . We had to find out sometime.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3038 on: June 14, 2021, 08:38:38 PM »
As I have referenced already, the quality of our next head coach is of far greater importance than how soon they can be appointed.

The one line that I'm pleased to read. There's no point making a quick appointment if its the wrong one.

But you know that even with all the dithering and dallying and due diligence, that the next appointment will be a complete dogs breakfast
Prove me wrong Ken.
Please!
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3039 on: June 14, 2021, 08:39:11 PM »

Nothing wrong with the statement and appreciate that they are trying to communicate with supporters.  I think though Ken desperately needs help, i.e. the right bloke sitting next to him. Needs to be someone experienced who can offer sound football advice. Could be just a sounding board but needs to be someone offering sincere advice, not just someone stealing a living. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3040 on: June 14, 2021, 08:41:45 PM »

I'm not angry, I'm resigned to the club being in the toilet. Who exactly is going to pick "the right man" as head coach? Ken with no football experience and still wet behind the ears on the board?  Who is going to identify and sign the players, the canteen staff? Who gets to negotiate the players contracts, the club shop manager?  Then what happens when the manager appointed inevitably gets sacked? Who gets to plan the pre-season, the kit-man?

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3041 on: June 14, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »
A big positive from that is where he said they are reviewing the football operations.

As said previous, there is no point having a technical director / director of football for the sake of it, there has to be a purpose, in our position we are not planning for three years or five years time, we are dealing with the right now, it would seem our aim is to get the premier league and be sold asap, whether thats after a year of staying there or straight away when going up.

I dont think it helped our chances of us being sold last time because there was only 6 or 7 weeks between us confirming us as a premier league club and the season starting, no fans allowed, covid affecting finances, etc.

So if i was Lai, i would forget all the DOF, football operations, etc use wages saved on them and go and get a top manager (not head coach) give them responsiblity for coaches, players, etc back them as well as we can and let them get on with it.

Get us promoted, and sell asap, let the next owners worry about DOF, long terms plans, etc.

If we go that route and give a manager full control then it has to be somebody top notch, sounds far fetched but i would try for Benitez, make him well paid in this league with a huge bonus for going up and a pay rise if we do it and a huge bonus if he kept us up, he is money motivated, he went to china after all, and normally i would want somebody more developing and planning but we are not in that situation.

It would be a minimal chance but worth trying Benitez, would get fans onside and fit the supposed criteria, and make us more appealing to potential
Buyers, but if not him somebody worth backing without a DOF, let that manager be the person who deals with the football stuff.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:51:28 PM by Albion79 »

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3042 on: June 14, 2021, 08:45:54 PM »
At least Wilder now looks completely out of the picture.

As for this prehistoric talk of letting a manager look after not only training, team, tactics etc but also having complete control of transfers and contracts, that is a disastrous idea; all serious club's moved away from that as it causes carnage. It's also pretty much unheard of nowadays. Managers are far too busy to negotiate players contracts and are inevitably conflicted. It'a a brain dead suggestion.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3043 on: June 14, 2021, 08:47:28 PM »
Pulis 10/1 on sky bet...

I’m happy Dowling has gone, he’s clearly not liked by many people at the club. However where does this search go from here? If it’s true Lai wants a manager with experience of getting out of the championship then Neil is probably the only viable option. Got to look abroad IMO

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3044 on: June 14, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »

If we go that route and give a manager full control then it has to be somebody top notch, sounds far fetched but i would try for Benitez, make him well paid in this league with a huge bonus for going up and a pay rise if we do it and a huge bonus if he kept us up, he is money motivated, he went to china after all, and normally i would want somebody more developing and planning but we are not in that situation.

It would be a minimal chance but worth trying Benitez, would get fans onside and fit the supposed criteria, but if not him somebody worth backing without a DOF, let that manager be the person who deals with the football stuff.

What a coup for the club that would be getting Benitez.

Saying that, he’d probably try and bring Rondon with him. Can’t be having that 🤨

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3045 on: June 14, 2021, 09:06:07 PM »

True BUT only if all this time we have taken makes a difference. If we end up appointing Derek McInnes or Alex Neil then it’s all just bull ****.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3046 on: June 14, 2021, 09:07:05 PM »
I'm not angry, I'm resigned to the club being in the toilet. Who exactly is going to pick "the right man" as head coach? Ken with no football experience and still wet behind the ears on the board?  Who is going to identify and sign the players, the canteen staff? Who gets to negotiate the players contracts, the club shop manager?  Then what happens when the manager appointed inevitably gets sacked? Who gets to plan the pre-season, the kit-man?
These are all good questions and I can see no real attempt to provide meaningful answers. They were hardly going to say that there will be no budget for next season, promotion isn't a priority, and they are going for a quick appointment rather than wait for the right man.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3047 on: June 14, 2021, 09:18:30 PM »
It was said in jest but I am genuinely concerned about a Pulis return now.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3048 on: June 14, 2021, 09:21:27 PM »
The club is not in the toilet though is it? We have a strong squad, sellable assets and parachute payments. 95% of the league, we are now in, would still swap places with us and the bookies don't appear to think we are a shambles either as we are still second favourites.
Ken will have people around him to identify a new DoF. Dowling didn't have autonomy, there will be a team in place for this scenario.
Have you watched Sky Sports News lately? No club is doing anything, we are in the dead zone. Perfect time to restructure.
The club shop manager and the canteen staff are also probably on holiday, as is the kit man.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3049 on: June 14, 2021, 09:31:21 PM »
It was said in jest but I am genuinely concerned about a Pulis return now.

Tony won’t be coming back to us.