1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446312 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #2675 on: June 11, 2021, 12:28:16 PM »
I may be wrong but wasn’t McInnes quoted some time ago saying his time was difficult at Bristol partly because his wife hated living in England?

Sounds ideal for a bloke, leave her in Scotland  ;D

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2676 on: June 11, 2021, 12:31:58 PM »
Lai just wants us in the premier league so he can sell

We were in the Premier League and he didn't sell as he couldn't achieve what he wanted. If we go back up again he will be in the same position.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2677 on: June 11, 2021, 12:44:52 PM »
I just cannot see what in terms of his time as a manager McInnes brings to the table.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2678 on: June 11, 2021, 12:46:07 PM »
I just cannot see what in terms of his time as a manager McInnes brings to the table.

What qualified Big Dave for the job though? What qualified Lampard for the Derby job? Rooney for the Derby job?

Or biggest one of all, what qualified Southgate for the England job? If he hadn’t played for England he wouldn’t have even had a sniff.

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2679 on: June 11, 2021, 12:52:56 PM »
Valerian Ismael's name is now in the fray  ;D
You couldn't make it up could you.
I'd be happy with that.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2680 on: June 11, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »
What qualified Big Dave for the job though? What qualified Lampard for the Derby job? Rooney for the Derby job?

Or biggest one of all, what qualified Southgate for the England job? If he hadn’t played for England he wouldn’t have even had a sniff.

Just like if McInnes hadn't played for us then?

I think the difference with Big Dave and Lampard is it was their first job, with McInnes its not and he doesn't have a decent record esepcially in England.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2681 on: June 11, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »
I've thought about it and I think I'm leaning towards McInnes now.

I know he wouldn't get mentioned had he not played for us and I admit I am looking at this through rose tinted specs.

Darren Moore was in no shape 'qualified' to take on a Premier League job but got the gig because of his club connections but ultimately it didn't work out due to various reasons. I feel McInnes has earnt his stripes (pardon the pun) to see what he can do with a set up like ours and let's be honest any half decent manager should get us in the top 6.

It would be a romantic appointment, he would bleed blue and white and he would be immensely proud to lead our club, he also wouldn't care about being 4th choice or whatever it is as he would walk on hot coals to get here - isn't that what we want? He would ask for nothing less that 110% from the players and he would bring us together.

Gamble it is and if it doesn't appear to be working we'll just have to pull the trigger before it is too late.

**BB74 NOW RUNS AND HIDES AWAITING KEYBOARD GRENADES TO COME HIS WAY**
Not from me BB i agree with every word!

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2682 on: June 11, 2021, 12:55:25 PM »

He is dirt cheap and would say 'yes' if asked.

I think we're at that stage now.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2683 on: June 11, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »

If we were trying to avoid relegation then I'd understand it but not get promotion. Very conservative and unentertaining manager
Boing Boing

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2684 on: June 11, 2021, 12:56:35 PM »
I may be wrong but wasn’t McInnes quoted some time ago saying his time was difficult at Bristol partly because his wife hated living in England?

Which member of the board is that in your avatar dangerman?
MAGA!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2685 on: June 11, 2021, 01:01:04 PM »

Southgate and big Dave are both different circumstances to mcinnes though?

Both got given their roles on an interim basis whilst they found as manager, both got good results and that eventually meant they landed the managers job.

Lampard got the derby job based on his name, same situation Rooney now finds himself in.

If it HAS to be one of Appleton/McInnes then I’d go with Appleton, but the fact is if they are only being considered because they’ve played here, then that’s terrible recruitment from us.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2686 on: June 11, 2021, 01:04:46 PM »
Just like if McInnes hadn't played for us then?

I think the difference with Big Dave and Lampard is it was their first job, with McInnes its not and he doesn't have a decent record esepcially in England.

Yes I acknowledged that McInnes wouldn’t get a look in if it wasn’t for his links with us. I flipped that argument to use it for Southgate yet everyone is backing him and fine with it.

We’ve got an absent owner who isn't interested and it would be nice to have a Manager who would bleed blue and white. Allardyce came with the CV but he couldn’t care less.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:35:18 PM by BB74 »

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2687 on: June 11, 2021, 01:05:47 PM »
If we were trying to avoid relegation then I'd understand it but not get promotion. Very conservative and unentertaining manager

Maybe he has only been that way because he has never had decent tools at his disposal and had to grind results given the players he had.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:36:00 PM by BB74 »

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2688 on: June 11, 2021, 01:06:07 PM »
I've thought about it and I think I'm leaning towards McInnes now.

I know he wouldn't get mentioned had he not played for us and I admit I am looking at this through rose tinted specs.

Darren Moore was in no shape 'qualified' to take on a Premier League job but got the gig because of his club connections but ultimately it didn't work out due to various reasons. I feel McInnes has earnt his stripes (pardon the pun) to see what he can do with a set up like ours and let's be honest any half decent manager should get us in the top 6.

It would be a romantic appointment, he would bleed blue and white and he would be immensely proud to lead our club, he also wouldn't care about being 4th choice or whatever it is as he would walk on hot coals to get here - isn't that what we want? He would ask for nothing less that 110% from the players and he would bring us together.

Gamble it is and if it doesn't appear to be working we'll just have to pull the trigger before it is too late.

**BB74 NOW RUNS AND HIDES AWAITING KEYBOARD GRENADES TO COME HIS WAY**

If the choice is between Appleton and McInnes, I’ll take Derek too 👍🏻

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2689 on: June 11, 2021, 01:07:13 PM »
Southgate and big Dave are both different circumstances to mcinnes though?

Both got given their roles on an interim basis whilst they found as manager, both got good results and that eventually meant they landed the managers job.

Lampard got the derby job based on his name, same situation Rooney now finds himself in.

If it HAS to be one of Appleton/McInnes then I’d go with Appleton, but the fact is if they are only being considered because they’ve played here, then that’s terrible recruitment from us.

Football is unlike any other industry though. Managers rock up at places where they once played purely because of that link, it wouldn’t be exclusive to us, it’s a football cultural thing.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2690 on: June 11, 2021, 01:08:41 PM »
Since the interviews completed just a week ago and we failed to appoint, do they put the advert back in the paper. The norm in a company would be to give the job to the internal candidate, does that bring boilerman into the picture or is he now just full of hot air.

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2691 on: June 11, 2021, 01:09:22 PM »
I think Rooney's situation is also complicated by the club sponsor (32 RED) backing him as they want the profile to help promote their brand - hence his playing squad number was 32 and "allegedly" his playing contract was supplemented by them

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2692 on: June 11, 2021, 01:10:04 PM »
Which member of the board is that in your avatar dangerman?

Take your pick, I don’t discriminate  ;D

For the record I’m on the fence regarding McInnes, rather have Appleton tbh

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2693 on: June 11, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »

Hodgson never even played in the football league never mind for England.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2694 on: June 11, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »
If they HAD to have previous links with the club too, I’d sooner be asking Shakespeare than McInnes.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2695 on: June 11, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
If they HAD to have previous links with the club too, I’d sooner be asking Shakespeare than McInnes.

I don't think Shaky would be a bad shout given the candidates being suggested at the moment.
Thing is would he leave the next Champions League winners to come to us?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2696 on: June 11, 2021, 01:25:25 PM »
I've given it some thought and made my mind up. Give Derek McIness the job and the time to be successful. He was inspirational as a player and always showed incredible leadership ability and a level-head. It's the right time to take the plunge.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2697 on: June 11, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »
I've given it some thought and made my mind up. Give Derek McIness the job and the time to be successful. He was inspirational as a player and always showed incredible leadership ability and a level-head. It's the right time to take the plunge.

This is exactly the sort of character we need while we have an absent owner who doesn't give a toss.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2698 on: June 11, 2021, 01:35:46 PM »

i am with you on this one
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2699 on: June 11, 2021, 01:42:57 PM »
"Derek McInnes is interested in the Albion job I understand. And he has received a glowing recommendation from Andy Johnson."

From Masi, of course he would be. Please no.