1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 145303 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #2250 on: June 09, 2021, 04:48:33 PM »
Did Grant play under Wagner? We need him, Grady and Pereira firing next season.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2251 on: June 09, 2021, 04:51:10 PM »

I think Wagner had left by the time Grant came in. Mounier was Huddersfields striker under Wagner from memory.

Pereira wont be here next season.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2252 on: June 09, 2021, 04:54:12 PM »
I think Wagner had left by the time Grant came in. Mounier was Huddersfields striker under Wagner from memory.  Pereira wont be here next season.

I agree with you if / when he is sold. I'm hoping we decide to keep hold of him to spearhead our promotion push.

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2253 on: June 09, 2021, 05:07:13 PM »

Schalke are a big club in name only their fan base is probably the 2nd biggest in Germany but it is a club riddled with debt and has a legacy of multiple years of mismanagement how Wagner got them to 5th is the surprise not that they flat lined in the 2nd half of the season.

Like a number of German clubs with a large fan base, Schalke are a very hard club to manage. There is no overall majority shareholder and there is a lot of infighting with the fans also having an important voice. Against that backdrop, no manager gets an easy ride. In fact, they incredibly got through 5 managers last season (including one Christian Gross)! In that sense, the job Wagner had there was far from easy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:37:36 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

festerp

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2254 on: June 09, 2021, 05:32:15 PM »
So if Wagner is appointed as new manager do we start each game with Ride of the Valkyries as players go out onto pitch?
“In my mind, you gotta have three things to be a Premier League team. 1) You gotta play physical. 2) you gotta give 100 percent until the final whistle and 3) you gotta be sponsored by a Middle-Eastern airline.”

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2255 on: June 09, 2021, 06:39:28 PM »
Whoevers decision it was to offer the job to Wagner ( If that is the case !) could have pulled off a masterstroke.

All the talk has been about Wilder and his achievements at Sheffield, Lampard and his possible big name contacts, Appleton and his past association with the club, but we had forgot about what Wagner has achieved.

He got a club like Huddersfield promoted to the premier when really a club like Huddersfield had no right to play 2 seasons in the premier. Keeping them in the premier for a second season is something our own legend , Megson, couldn't achieve.

He is a manager who is worshipped in Huddersfield just as our own Megson is worshipped down here.

Also if things go okay he could be with us for a few seasons giving us some stability.

By all accounts he will get the players as fit as they have ever been which can't be a bad thing.

I wish him all the best and just hope we give him time.  West Brom fans are a fickle bunch and are quick to call for a manager to be sacked when he has a few bad results.

We are not going to play like Man City or Liverpool basically because we are in a lower league with a lower class of player. So for me its horses for courses. If we have to roll our sleeves up to grind an important result out so be it.

Would be nice if he could talk Pereira into staying another season

I have been trying to put together my thought but no need, these some them up completely.

He was not my choice but having spent some time reading different articles about his coaching act. I am warming to the idea.
As for Lampard, the first London club that came in for him he'd be gone, no chance of any longevity there I'm afraid.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2256 on: June 09, 2021, 06:41:06 PM »
So if Wagner is appointed as new manager do we start each game with Ride of the Valkyries as players go out onto pitch?

I'm all in if it means we can napalm the Vile should we meet them in a Cup this coming season.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #2257 on: June 09, 2021, 06:46:03 PM »
The whole scenario is getting rather boring.
What will be will be and there’s nowt we can do about it.
Euros and Warwickshire cricket is much more interesting at the mement.

West Brom 2020/21
Like Sticky the Stick Insect who got stuck on a sticky bun

Matheus PEREIRA
Periera? Perreira? Perrera?  Perriara? Perrier? Who are they?

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2258 on: June 09, 2021, 07:07:26 PM »
I'm all in if it means we can napalm the Vile should we meet them in a Cup this coming season.

We would get absolutely obliterated.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2259 on: June 09, 2021, 07:24:17 PM »
West Brom fans have never been fickle tbf. If you want fickle see the Vile fans!
Agree with another poster above, what will be will be. We've been divisive enough with Bilic and Sam. Let's get behind the bloke, get back to the prem (even though we all hate it lol VAR & all) and hopefully Lai can sell up and we all live happily ever after.
When the dust dies down, I think it could've been worse!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2260 on: June 09, 2021, 07:42:01 PM »
It would have to be a morning kick off

alex1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2261 on: June 09, 2021, 07:44:17 PM »
Blimey, you're starting to moderate your views Smeth. Last time wasn't it a nuclear strike on Villa park and training ground?  :o
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2262 on: June 09, 2021, 09:13:26 PM »
It looks odds o0n n ow for Wagner.
We have to suck it up and get behind the new bloke
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2263 on: June 09, 2021, 09:35:19 PM »
Blimey, you're starting to moderate your views Smeth. Last time wasn't it a nuclear strike on Villa park and training ground?  :o
I think he’s keeping all options open. Personally, I’m comforted knowing someone is forward thinking.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2264 on: June 09, 2021, 09:39:13 PM »
It looks odds o0n n ow for Wagner.
We have to suck it up and get behind the new bloke

Few media people on Twitter saying it will be announced tomorrow.

WBA

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2265 on: June 09, 2021, 09:55:46 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm_G59ymwDE

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2266 on: June 09, 2021, 10:00:41 PM »
He gets my vote on this alone  ;D

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2267 on: June 09, 2021, 11:38:01 PM »
He gets my vote on this alone  ;D

Love it  :D

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2268 on: June 10, 2021, 12:03:44 AM »

No we don't, we need a quality forward.

Given this underwhelming appointment I won't hold my breath.

Pereira is a class act and owes us nothing; the other two aren't good enough for the Premiership and owe us a good season and the we should be looking to move them on.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2269 on: June 10, 2021, 06:49:25 AM »
No we don't, we need a quality forward.

Given this underwhelming appointment I won't hold my breath.

Pereira is a class act and owes us nothing; the other two aren't good enough for the Premiership and owe us a good season and the we should be looking to move them on.

He signed a contract with us, he's our player, we pay him. He knew when he signed we might not get promoted / if we did we might get relegated. No one in England knew him until he came here. He owes us plenty, to continue to play and perform until we agree a sale.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:56:47 AM by LiamTheBaggie »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2270 on: June 10, 2021, 07:24:22 AM »

Napalm for breakfast, the nuclear option's still on the table for dinner and tea. They can chew on the leftovers for supper as there'll be no fish on offer. And if hell ever freezes over we can sort them on the ice. All to the sound of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries. SOTV  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2271 on: June 10, 2021, 07:37:48 AM »
Ridiculous comment. He signed a contract with us, he's our player, we pay him. He knew when he signed we might not get promoted / if we did we might get relegated. No one in England knew him until he came here. He owes us plenty, to continue to play and perform until we agree a sale.

Put yourself in his shoes.
What would you do?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2272 on: June 10, 2021, 07:45:41 AM »
He signed a contract with us, he's our player, we pay him. He knew when he signed we might not get promoted / if we did we might get relegated. No one in England knew him until he came here. He owes us plenty, to continue to play and perform until we agree a sale.

Sadly, contracts mean very little in football when the player in question wants to move. Add to that Brazilian players usually go wherever the money is.

I’d start coming to terms with the reality that Pereira will be sold before the summer ‘21 transfer window closes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:56:58 AM by LiamTheBaggie »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2273 on: June 10, 2021, 08:05:30 AM »
I don't know. When I want some plumbing done I take the advice of a plumber, and I know about as much about plumbing as Lai seems to know about football.

By the same token if I want advice about buying a car i would rather talk to the franchise owner than a spotty oik with greasy hair and pearly white smile masquerading as a sales exec.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2274 on: June 10, 2021, 08:17:59 AM »
I think it's ridiculous to suggest that under Wagner the ball will be sailing over Pereira's head. It might be in the Premier League but no more so than under at least a couple of the managers lots of posters seemed perfectly happy with.

The Pereira test is a an interesting hypothetical. Assuming keeping Pereira is a practical option but not selling Pereira means that the manager has a lot less to money to play with to reshape the squad elsewhere what do you do? More importantly is Wagner more or less likely to need the Pereira money to reshape the squad than some of the alternatives? My view is less.

Finally on the Pereira theme if you can't work his talents into your tactical set up you are rubbish as a coach end of debate.     
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.