1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441689 times)

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #2225 on: June 09, 2021, 01:43:56 PM »
The Dingles have appointed a guy with only 76 games under his belt with Benfica.  So totally untested.  Wagner is far more experienced.

Dingle fans have a right to be unhappy.

We are a Championship club, I think Wagner is ok, everything considered.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2226 on: June 09, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
Wagner being reported as strong favourite, but not yet finalised, on several German TV channels, including Sky Deutschland.

I must admit I haven't studied his playing style that closely and my comments are just based on his more recent results. (whereas I am against Wilder both for his playing style and his recent results). 
If he can find the right players, he may make us watchable, but that's a big if. I'm not sure that any decent Bundesliga players, would see playing for Wagner as a good career move. Unless they saw us a stepping stone. Still, he will have a wider perspective of players on the Continent. How that will work with Dowling I don't know. That's assuming Dowling is still here.

Overall, a bit underwhelming, but then all of the candidates we were seriously linked with, Lampard aside, were underwhelming.       

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2227 on: June 09, 2021, 01:47:11 PM »
Alex Neil would have been ok......did well at Norwich and Preston where he had limited funds.
I just can't get excited about Wagner, but will support him none the less.

As for Mr Lai  >:(
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2228 on: June 09, 2021, 01:51:08 PM »
Wagner is apparently a good friend of Klop. I wonder if he’ll loan us Mo Salah 😜

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2229 on: June 09, 2021, 01:57:58 PM »
Club have to back Wagner in reagrds to getting his coaches and players suitable for the style of play.

all well and good having a manager that wants to play a certain way but no good if hes not provided the tools to complete the job.

For sure there will need to be a big turnaround in he squad. After watching the tactical videos kindly linked by others before me, which are well worth a watch (see links below) we need the following players for the squad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWWVq5XRgCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZi3_zaHtus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvUpZKmOo5I&t=802s (this one explains the decline of Shalke, interesting to see the view that their fans don't really put a huge amount of blame on Wagner himself for the long winless streak)

1) A ball playing centre half
2) A defensive midfielder who will slot in between the centre backs when in possession. 
3) full backs who are very stong going forward. (townsend and furlong kind of fit the bill here, but will need 2x full backs on each side as based on the tactical videos they will be doing  a lot of running and over the course of a champ season they will get injured)
4) one more advanced CM who can be a playmaker but also able to battle and win the ball (Mooy played this role at huddersfield. He is now at Shanghai presmably on good wages, maybe Wagner could tempt him back for champ but could be past his sell by date?)
5) The inverted wingers i believe we have already in Grant, Diangana, Robinson and maybe Snodgrass. Assume Pereiera will leave
6) a striker who has the ability to hold up the ball but also has to be able to press constantly. This player has to be super fit and eager to put in the hard work
7) GK who can play with his feet. We know SJ may be off and he certainly isn't comfortable receiving losts of possession so we may see a new face here.

I see no place in this squad for people like Sawyers and Livermore (IMO thankfully) as they do not have the pace and energy to work the geogenpress.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2230 on: June 09, 2021, 02:07:08 PM »
Wagner is apparently a good friend of Klop. I wonder if he’ll loan us Mo Salah 😜
They both have a Borussia Dortmund past. Massive pity our board didn't shortlist Edin Terzic, another youth trainer at Dortmund. Terzic has just led the first team as caretaker Manager to Champions League quarter finals and German cup winners. BTW he was assistant to Billic at West Ham, so has experience over here, and is now available. He would have been perfect.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2231 on: June 09, 2021, 02:07:43 PM »
The Dingles have appointed a guy with only 76 games under his belt with Benfica.  So totally untested.  Wagner is far more experienced.

Dingle fans have a right to be unhappy.

We are a Championship club, I think Wagner is ok, everything considered.

The guys also got a 68% win ratio with Benfica, what's not to like?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2232 on: June 09, 2021, 02:12:57 PM »
Reverts to a low defensive block at the first sign of trouble. His promotion with Huddersfield yielded -2 goal difference.

This is not going to be like watching Liverpool despite some tenuous links to Klopps methodology.

The only thing linking the two is that they are from the same country.........
MAGA!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2233 on: June 09, 2021, 02:17:17 PM »
The only thing linking the two is that they are from the same country.........

That's not how the media sold Hudds promotion and 1st Prem season. Needless to say the comparisons stopped the following year...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2234 on: June 09, 2021, 02:18:40 PM »
Whoevers decision it was to offer the job to Wagner ( If that is the case !) could have pulled off a masterstroke.

All the talk has been about Wilder and his achievements at Sheffield, Lampard and his possible big name contacts, Appleton and his past association with the club, but we had forgot about what Wagner has achieved.

He got a club like Huddersfield promoted to the premier when really a club like Huddersfield had no right to play 2 seasons in the premier. Keeping them in the premier for a second season is something our own legend , Megson, couldn't achieve.

He is a manager who is worshipped in Huddersfield just as our own Megson is worshipped down here.

Also if things go okay he could be with us for a few seasons giving us some stability.

By all accounts he will get the players as fit as they have ever been which can't be a bad thing.

I wish him all the best and just hope we give him time.  West Brom fans are a fickle bunch and are quick to call for a manager to be sacked when he has a few bad results.

We are not going to play like Man City or Liverpool basically because we are in a lower league with a lower class of player. So for me its horses for courses. If we have to roll our sleeves up to grind an important result out so be it.

Would be nice if he could talk Pereira into staying another season

kanu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2235 on: June 09, 2021, 02:28:35 PM »
Not a bad appointment if it happens. Worked wonders at Huddersfield, super fit side who played good football at times. He also did ok at Schalke, he got them to 6th in the bundesliga after 25 games. Then covid struck and they lost fitness and desire and money troubles and board room unrest kicked in. When they resumed after covid they failed to win a game but couldn’t win the Bundesliga and couldn’t go down and eventually finished 12th. His Schalke tenure sounds horrific but when you analyse it it’s not. He actually did more than ok there.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2236 on: June 09, 2021, 02:29:13 PM »
The real test for Wagner is the level of expectations.

What he had at Huddersfield in terms of staying up and mid-table finishes may allow for a conservative approach with a poorer standard of players.

Joining us there is one simple requirement and that's to win games and get promoted.

If he comes here and has the side scoring less than 60 goals then lets face it, we will not be getting promoted. He doesn't have to be gung-ho, but the level of expectation and critcism will far outweigh what he receives at Huddersfield.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2237 on: June 09, 2021, 02:44:45 PM »
A more inspiring appointment than some mentioned, don't know a lot about him, but a fit and attacking team will do me.
Baggie in Southampton

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2238 on: June 09, 2021, 02:52:30 PM »
For me, I was not particularly excited at the thought of Wilder, or any of the ither names. Dont know a lot about Wagners style of play, but remember he was definitely flavour of the week for about 18 months, he may surprise us.

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2239 on: June 09, 2021, 03:02:16 PM »
all the talk about him keeping Huddersfield in the premier league i'm not exactly comfortable with.

look at that season in more detail and see that us and stoke totally imploded that season, Huddersfield second half of season record should have seen them go down.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2240 on: June 09, 2021, 03:12:01 PM »
all the talk about him keeping Huddersfield in the premier league i'm not exactly comfortable with. look at that season in more detail and see that us and stoke totally imploded that season, Huddersfield second half of season record should have seen them go down.

That it is always the case with promoted teams with championship squads and championship budgets. Occasionally they manage to crawl to survival only to then get humiliated and relegated the following season. Happened with countless teams. Some promoted clubs manage to defy the odds for 12 months, most don't.

Ultimately we won't be able to judge the appointment of Wagner, presuming it happens until the end of next season at the earliest. His remit is promotion, let's see how he gets on against that. I'm glad it's not Wilder anyway.

reynirver

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2241 on: June 09, 2021, 03:26:18 PM »
Heimir Hallgrímsson is available  :-X

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2242 on: June 09, 2021, 04:10:32 PM »
Wagner is such an underwhelming choice.  I’ve never known such a plethora of competent managers being available at the same time and seemingly within our grasp yet somehow we’ve still managed to balls it up.  I remember the summer of 2019 it seemed to take us an age to appoint someone, there was just hardly anyone of note free and then the club surprised us by appointing Bilic out of the blue.  This time we have been spoilt for choice; one of the most successful managers in the country over the last 10 years was keen to join, while other younger managers who have already cut their teeth elsewhere were ready to make a splash.  Yet we end up with Wagner because our owner is such a precious feeble hermit he is worried that the new man may talk out of turn. 

After relegation this is just disheartening.  I was hoping for an appointment that would galvanise the club and supporters.  Lai meddled before with the Dean Smith / Darren Moore conundrum, you would have thought he would have learnt from that experience.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we are going back cap in hand to Wilder in 6 months. 
"This crack is really moreish."

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2243 on: June 09, 2021, 04:13:41 PM »
⬆️ My thoughts exactly ⬆️

As per usual, the bottom line with the Albion is always about penny-pinching.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2244 on: June 09, 2021, 04:17:32 PM »
Reverts to a low defensive block at the first sign of trouble. His promotion with Huddersfield yielded -2 goal difference.

This is not going to be like watching Liverpool despite some tenuous links to Klopps methodology.

Its not all bad news then  8)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2245 on: June 09, 2021, 04:25:32 PM »
I've had a look at his squads at Huddersfield and Schalke and there is an argument that Naki Wells is the best striker he has ever managed or maybe that's being a little unfair on Steve Mounie. In both cases he got teams to over perform their talent by a big margin for at least some of his tenure but gravity caught up with them.

Schalke had some good young talent but they were all defenders and midfielders the attacking options might be described as Championship level and that's being kind.

Schalke are a big club in name only their fan base is probably the 2nd biggest in Germany but it is a club riddled with debt and has a legacy of multiple years of mismanagement how Wagner got them to 5th is the surprise not that they flat lined in the 2nd half of the season.

Our current squad is better than the one he got promoted with Huddersfield. The expectations are entirely on a different level in the Championship.

I suspect we will see the high pressing style initially but if we are promoted I fear that he will become a lot more pragmatic. However this is a view I have seen expressed on this board we can't really play good football in the Premier League so Wagner's approach should at least find favour with those fans.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2246 on: June 09, 2021, 04:27:17 PM »
Just wonder how its working with current quarrantine rules. Aren't incoming travellers  supposed to be in quarrantine for 10 days?

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2247 on: June 09, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »
This is Albion. We're more likely to sign Mo Farah for our forward line.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2248 on: June 09, 2021, 04:42:53 PM »
all the talk about him keeping Huddersfield in the premier league i'm not exactly comfortable with.

look at that season in more detail and see that us and stoke totally imploded that season, Huddersfield second half of season record should have seen them go down.
Huddersfield did the double over us that season. We were pooh.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2249 on: June 09, 2021, 04:44:15 PM »
I've had a look at his squads at Huddersfield and Schalke and there is an argument that Naki Wells is the best striker he has ever managed or maybe that's being a little unfair on Steve Mounie. In both cases he got teams to over perform their talent by a big margin for at least some of his tenure but gravity caught up with them.

Schalke had some good young talent but they were all defenders and midfielders the attacking options might be described as Championship level and that's being kind.

Schalke are a big club in name only their fan base is probably the 2nd biggest in Germany but it is a club riddled with debt and has a legacy of multiple years of mismanagement how Wagner got them to 5th is the surprise not that they flat lined in the 2nd half of the season.

Our current squad is better than the one he got promoted with Huddersfield. The expectations are entirely on a different level in the Championship.

I suspect we will see the high pressing style initially but if we are promoted I fear that he will become a lot more pragmatic. However this is a view I have seen expressed on this board we can't really play good football in the Premier League so Wagner's approach should at least find favour with those fans.

That'll be me.  ;D. I stand by it as well. Unless you have owners like Vile who can shell out £150 mil without a concern you cant try and outplay PL teams with Championship level players.

Your work is excellent here Stan. I don't know that much about Wagner, I just know what he achieved at Huddersfield and that was an outstanding achievement. Their fans by and large seem to absolutely idolise him.

Wagner could be a very shrewd, if slightly lucky, appointment.