1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446791 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #1125 on: May 27, 2021, 04:44:27 PM »
Will reset the poll in a bit.
Thanks. Perhaps some of the managers that have been named under "Other" could be included in their own right this time around?

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1126 on: May 27, 2021, 04:46:33 PM »
Football is a funny old game. I went to that game and was blown away by how they completely outplayed us in every department. It was men versus boys and I was envious of Sheff Utd fans. I think he's a cracking appointment.

I was at that game in February 2019 and I remember it being pretty boring.

The match itself was much more of a reflection of Big Dave’s tactical naivety than it was us being outplayed by Chris Wilder’s Sheffield United.

Why do you think the board sacked Big Dave two games later...

Never mind a funny old game I think you’ve got a funny old memory pal!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:17:36 PM by PartisanBaggie »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1127 on: May 27, 2021, 04:48:40 PM »
Maresca can be removed too

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1128 on: May 27, 2021, 04:49:32 PM »
Decided to look at the difference in between us and Sheff Utd under Wilder and Derby under Lampard the last time all were in the chmapionship.

Pos    Team                    Pld    W    D    L    GF    GA    GD            Pts    
1    Norwich City (C, P)    46    27    13    6    93    57    +36    94    
2    Sheffield United (P)  46    26    11    9    78    41    +37    89
3    Leeds United            46    25    8    13    73    50    +23    83    
4    WBA                   46    23    11    12    87    62    +25    80
5    Aston Villa (O, P)    46    20    16    10    82    61    +21    76
6    Derby County            46    20    14    12    69    54    +15    74

Derby weren't as attacking as some would think under Lampard, Wilder's side did score more than Leeds and not suprising were the best defence.

You need to get out more tambag......
MAGA!

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1129 on: May 27, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »
You need to get out more tambag......

;D ;D ;D

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1130 on: May 27, 2021, 05:03:25 PM »
Decided to look at the difference in between us and Sheff Utd under Wilder and Derby under Lampard the last time all were in the chmapionship.

Pos    Team                    Pld    W    D    L    GF    GA    GD            Pts    
1    Norwich City (C, P)    46    27    13    6    93    57    +36    94    
2    Sheffield United (P)  46    26    11    9    78    41    +37    89
3    Leeds United            46    25    8    13    73    50    +23    83    
4    WBA                   46    23    11    12    87    62    +25    80
5    Aston Villa (O, P)    46    20    16    10    82    61    +21    76
6    Derby County            46    20    14    12    69    54    +15    74

Derby weren't as attacking as some would think under Lampard, Wilder's side did score more than Leeds and not suprising were the best defence.

More goals scored, fewer goals conceded than this swash buckling Frank Lampard that some drool over..

I am not a massive admirer of Wilder - but he has an excellent track record and we're going to get much better.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1131 on: May 27, 2021, 05:05:15 PM »
Sheffield United haven't scored 5 goals in a competitive match since they beat Leyton Orient 6 nil in the 1st round (not 3rd) of the FA Cup in 2016.

I get your point Jacko & not to take away from the Chelsea performance which was absolutely superb but all of us here including Allardyce would have taken 5 x 1-0 wins over scoring 5 in 1 game.

That Chelsea game was an anomaly in the season was by far & away our best attacking performance (along with the 1st 45 mins against Southampton at home) we also had the Palace away & Newcastle home attacking displays which were pretty dire.

The way people are making Wilder out to be is the next Pulis, it’s a long way from that.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1132 on: May 27, 2021, 05:05:22 PM »
More goals scored, fewer goals conceded than this swash buckling Frank Lampard that some drool over..

I am not a massive admirer of Wilder - but he has an excellent track record and we're going to get much better.

Not drooling over him Liam, its more like choosing the least wilted bunch of flowers to take home...
MAGA!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1133 on: May 27, 2021, 05:05:58 PM »
I can see it now. All the kids on social media branding us a so called brexit club with Wilder in charge "Brexit baggies" we will be called  :P I can see why we have gone with him but its a boring uninspiring appointment isn't it? I would of rather gone for someone like the Barnsley gaffer as that would of been more fun but it is what it is. I'll get behind him when confirmed.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1134 on: May 27, 2021, 05:12:44 PM »
I can see it now. All the kids on social media branding us a so called brexit club with Wilder in charge "Brexit baggies" we will be called  :P I can see why we have gone with him but its a boring uninspiring appointment isn't it? I would of rather gone for someone like the Barnsley gaffer as that would of been more fun but it is what it is. I'll get behind him when confirmed.

Why?  A little fanciful.

Paul Cook was my choice but I think Wilder is a good appointment for a club of our size with no sugar or oil daddy to throw money at us.  I also think he's far from a Pulis type.  Can you imagine TP asking his centre backs to overlap?
The Barnsley manager just asks his players to run themselves into the ground and chase high balls - that's more Pulis-like.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1135 on: May 27, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »
Why?  A little fanciful.

Paul Cook was my choice but I think Wilder is a good appointment for a club of our size with no sugar or oil daddy to throw money at us.  I also think he's far from a Pulis type.  Can you imagine TP asking his centre backs to overlap?
The Barnsley manager just asks his players to run themselves into the ground and chase high balls - that's more Pulis-like.

Just playing better football than Pulis, is setting the bar pretty low.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1136 on: May 27, 2021, 05:38:13 PM »
My only real concern with Wilder is what’s his hunger like now. He’s managed his boyhood club to the premier league and now been sacked from that role. Does he bounce back hungry or has he already achieved one of his dreams etc.

We will get my backing and I hope he’s backed to build a good enough team to challenge.

His managerial career baring last season is very good.

He's only 53. He just had an awful season, coming in for a lot of criticism, particularly for his signings. You'd surely think he'll be determined to prove a point to Sheffield United as they've just appointed a younger more 'fashionable' manager, additionally you really can't afford two bad consecutive seasons as a manger these days or your reputation will be shot to pieces so I'd imagine he has plenty of motivation to succeed.

We're getting a proven manager, no compensation, with a recent history of remarkable success including promotion from this league. Personally he seems likeable in his interviews, he doesn't mince his words. It's a no brainer of an appointment. That doesn't mean to say he will be successful but it'd brave to overlook him for any other candidate that's been touted.  My reservations primarily surround the system he uses; I'm not sure the personnel we have suit it. I'm also concerned about the signings that we will make this summer with him and Dowling responsible but I'm optimistic on the whole he will be successful.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1137 on: May 27, 2021, 05:39:56 PM »
Just playing better football than Pulis, is setting the bar pretty very low.

Sorted that out.

Got someone on Twitter telling me he plays, and I quote, "front foot, high energy football".
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1138 on: May 27, 2021, 06:00:36 PM »
He's only 53. He just had an awful season, coming in for a lot of criticism, particularly for his signings. You'd surely think he'll be determined to prove a point to Sheffield United as they've just appointed a younger more 'fashionable' manager, additionally you really can't afford two bad consecutive seasons as a manger these days or your reputation will be shot to pieces so I'd imagine he has plenty of motivation to succeed.

We're getting a proven manager, no compensation, with a recent history of remarkable success including promotion from this league. Personally he seems likeable in his interviews, he doesn't mince his words. It's a no brainer of an appointment. That doesn't mean to say he will be successful but it'd brave to overlook him for any other candidate that's been touted.  My reservations primarily surround the system he uses; I'm not sure the personnel we have suit it. I'm also concerned about the signings that we will make this summer with him and Dowling responsible but I'm optimistic on the whole he will be successful.

Great post, I agree. Think it’s a good appointment if it is him.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1139 on: May 27, 2021, 06:14:14 PM »
Could Wilder be moggadon the second?
Attritional but effective? If so I can get behind that because it requires commitment and effort, don’t think a lot of our current squad are the right profile but rather anything than Pulisesque football
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1140 on: May 27, 2021, 06:15:23 PM »
If it's Wilder, I'd be delighted. Excellent appointment.

Promotions with Oxford, Northampton and took Sheffield United (a basket case of a club with 5 consecutive seasons in the 3rd tier) to 9th in the Premier League in 4 seasons. Remarkable achievement playing a unique brand of front foot attacking football with innovative tactics that yielded excellent results - overlapping centre-backs.

Doesn't mince his words, principled enough to leave his boyhood club because he didn't like how things were behind the scenes and absolutely back him to hold that bandit Luke Dowling to account.

Superb appointment. 6 bad months in 10 years. Don't let recency bias cloud any judgement. This is a first rate appointment.

(sidenote - anyone calling for Valérien Ismaël... have you watched a single minute of Barnsley this season? Pulisball 2.0)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 06:18:28 PM by tlms-p23 »

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1141 on: May 27, 2021, 06:16:12 PM »
Could Wilder be moggadon the second?
Attritional but effective? If so I can get behind that because it requires commitment and effort, don’t think a lot of our current squad are the right profile but rather anything than Pulisesque football
SGM as his assistant , now wouldn't that be something
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1142 on: May 27, 2021, 06:21:47 PM »

We got absolutely mullered by Derby both home and away when Frank Lampard was in charge. You may remember the 1-4 kicking the Super Rams gave us at The Hawthorn’s during the 18/19 season. I know I do!

Had we played another 5 minutes during the 3-3 game at the Hawthorn’s last season, Chelsea would have no doubt gone on to score a 4th having been 3-0 down at half time.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1143 on: May 27, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
Lampard would have a strong whiff of RDM - at Villa, not us.

He was ok at Derby, but the fact is he took to them to the exact position Gary Rowett did the season previous and was pretty well backed by them - there's an article in the athletic today how Derby are still paying off the costs of his recruitment, which all flopped pretty much outside the loans. Then at Chelsea he did a good job last season but this season he had them in 9th despite heavy investment, and then a proper coach came in and took the same team to 4th and a CL final. The instant improving of the side to that extent after he left is worrying.

Based on his career I would have very little faith on his ability to build a team here. Wilder is not the most exciting choice but he's a far more obvious choice than Lampard given his record of promotions, got more points last season with Sheffield United than we've ever had in the premier league, and ultimately has had one bad season in his career.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1144 on: May 27, 2021, 06:38:46 PM »
I just hope now its done in the next couple of days and give us some valuable time getting a squad together we have a lot of players going out and need to be pro active.
I would have loved Jokanovic and he will definitely be up there challenging, but if its Wilder so will we.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1145 on: May 27, 2021, 06:42:58 PM »
I have major reservations about Wilder and to the extent that I welcome his appointment is based on who isn't rather than any great enthusiasm at the prospect of his football or his ability to use and develop our younger players.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1146 on: May 27, 2021, 06:43:50 PM »
If its Wilder and we start next season with Jake and Romaine in midfield will we be happy?  :D

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1147 on: May 27, 2021, 06:44:24 PM »
I just hope now its done in the next couple of days and give us some valuable time getting a squad together we have a lot of players going out and need to be pro active.
I would have loved Jokanovic and he will definitely be up there challenging, but if its Wilder so will we.

Not Wilder. Or Appleton for me.

But. Whoever it is we have to get behind them for our club. Hope we actually get cohesion between management and DoF and push on.

Again, I'm optimistic about next season. I almost dread us gaining promotion.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1148 on: May 27, 2021, 06:44:30 PM »
If its Wilder and we start next season with Jake and Romaine in midfield will we be happy?  :D

I wish people would stop reminding me of those 2 together  :o

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1149 on: May 27, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »
I wish people would stop reminding me of those 2 together  :o

A nightmare.