1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441652 times)

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #1100 on: May 27, 2021, 02:32:12 PM »
I'd love to know who is on our shortlist, we know Wilder and Lampard are two of them. Like most on here I cant see past Wilder, but I am hoping for Lampard.

I am only guessing that people like Cooper and Appleton may be on that list, but it will be dependant on what happens in their play off finals this weekend.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1101 on: May 27, 2021, 02:41:46 PM »
I'd love to know who is on our shortlist, we know Wilder and Lampard are two of them. Like most on here I cant see past Wilder, but I am hoping for Lampard.

Not just on here. From what I've seen on social media Lampard is the runaway choice amongst fans. He's miles ahead of anyone else.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1102 on: May 27, 2021, 02:43:06 PM »
I'm not keen on Lampard, i would say i'm indifferent  but out of those realistic and available i'm leaning towards him. What a sorry list of available managers.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1103 on: May 27, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »
I'm not keen on Lampard, i would say i'm indifferent  but out of those realistic and available i'm leaning towards him. What a sorry list of available managers.
https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/26/wolves-new-manager-hunt-turns-to-frank-lampard-as-they-make-enquiries-14651797/

Apparently Wolves putting out their feelers towards Lampard. I don't know if the journos at the Metro are clued up, but wonder if he would be interested.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1104 on: May 27, 2021, 03:04:34 PM »
https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/26/wolves-new-manager-hunt-turns-to-frank-lampard-as-they-make-enquiries-14651797/

Apparently Wolves putting out their feelers towards Lampard. I don't know if the journos at the Metro are clued up, but wonder if he would be interested.

Didn't know Frank had a Portuguese passport :)

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1105 on: May 27, 2021, 03:07:18 PM »
David Anderson
@MirrorAnderson
Barring any late unforeseen hiccups, Chris Wilder will be West Brom’s new manager. Wilder is their No 1 choice and talks are continuing on finalising a deal. #WBAFC

https://twitter.com/MirrorAnderson/status/1397916021617397761

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1106 on: May 27, 2021, 03:22:43 PM »
David Anderson
@MirrorAnderson
Barring any late unforeseen hiccups, Chris Wilder will be West Brom’s new manager. Wilder is their No 1 choice and talks are continuing on finalising a deal. #WBAFC

Depressing but expected
Allllllll aboard

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1107 on: May 27, 2021, 03:29:32 PM »
David Anderson
@MirrorAnderson

Don’t know how accurate he is I’d be over the moon with Wilder. Think it’l be the best decision managerial wise this club has made since Roy all those years ago. My old mans a Sheff United fan so I watched a fair bit of them I don’t know where this dinosaur label has come from they played some cracking football I went to the Man United game 2 years ago completely played United off the park that day.

Would be a top top managerial appointment who will have people eating their words this time next season.

TLMS17

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1108 on: May 27, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »
Looks like Wilder as expected, but disappointed
Born For Albion     Live For Albion     Die For Albion

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1109 on: May 27, 2021, 03:34:32 PM »
Don’t know how accurate he is I’d be over the moon with Wilder. Think it’l be the best decision managerial wise this club has made since Roy all those years ago. My old mans a Sheff United fan so I watched a fair bit of them I don’t know where this dinosaur label has come from they played some cracking football I went to the Man United game 2 years ago completely played United off the park that day.

Would be a top top managerial appointment who will have people eating their words this time next season.

Hope you're right mate, I think this will be an absolute disaster tbh.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1110 on: May 27, 2021, 03:41:18 PM »
My only real concern with Wilder is what’s his hunger like now. He’s managed his boyhood club to the premier league and now been sacked from that role. Does he bounce back hungry or has he already achieved one of his dreams etc.

We will get my backing and I hope he’s backed to build a good enough team to challenge.

His managerial career baring last season is very good.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1111 on: May 27, 2021, 03:54:34 PM »

Its difficult to imagine Sheff Utd playing anyone off the park. I've scrolled back through their league fixtures, and its just one long list of scored 1 or 0, until that 2-1 victory v Man U on 27th January.  Before that they only scored more than 1 goal once (v Man U on 17 Dec '20) back until beginning of September. 
Can't find anything to suggest we will be playing cracking football under Wilder. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1112 on: May 27, 2021, 04:00:21 PM »
Never enjoyed the football I've seen Sheff Utd play in the last few years. They were vile to watch when they best us 1-0 at the Hawthorns the year they went up.

Feels like we are about to endure Dowling Vs Bilic part 2

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1113 on: May 27, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »
Never enjoyed the football I've seen Sheff Utd play in the last few years. They were vile to watch when they best us 1-0 at the Hawthorns the year they went up.

Without the facade of attacking football...

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1114 on: May 27, 2021, 04:06:07 PM »
My preference was Cooper who will probably end up in the premier next season anyway, one way or another.

Barring that though I would say Wilder is clearly the best name available, even if not the most exciting. I have my doubts he can maintain what he had at Sheffield United prior to this season here, but at least he has some kind of track record to speak of. Lampard did alright at Derby (no better than Rowett) and ultimately has been shown up somewhat by Tuchel coming in at Chelsea so I'm not sure he's an answer. The rest of the names listed aren't even worth mentioning.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1115 on: May 27, 2021, 04:12:44 PM »
My preference was Cooper who will probably end up in the premier next season anyway, one way or another.

Barring that though I would say Wilder is clearly the best name available, even if not the most exciting. I have my doubts he can maintain what he had at Sheffield United prior to this season here, but at least he has some kind of track record to speak of. Lampard did alright at Derby (no better than Rowett) and ultimately has been shown up somewhat by Tuchel coming in at Chelsea so I'm not sure he's an answer. The rest of the names listed aren't even worth mentioning.

I agree my preference is Cooper, I suspect there will be movement on him next week if Swansea don't go up, but I think he will be Palace bound if they don't win this weekend.

Wilder is an OK appointment, but his football is pragmatic, so he will have to give us winning football else he won't last long if appointed.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1116 on: May 27, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
Without the facade of attacking football...

I'm in agreement with you, i can see this going wrong. Happy to be incorrect though should it happen.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 04:19:53 PM by gazberg »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1117 on: May 27, 2021, 04:19:27 PM »
David Anderson
@MirrorAnderson

If confirmed, this feels like such a one-dimensional, unimaginative and sterile selection, as was the case when we brought in Pulis, Pardew and Allardyce. A decision that would indicate that the Board and Owner have no overall plan other than to regard every season as an insular firefighting exercise.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1118 on: May 27, 2021, 04:23:41 PM »
If confirmed, this feels like such a one-dimensional, unimaginative and sterile selection, as was the case when we brought in Pulis, Pardew and Allardyce. A decision that would indicate that the Board and Owner have no overall plan other than to regard every season as an insular firefighting exercise.

Exactly this^
What an uninspiring appointment if true. Was hoping for Lamps personally.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1119 on: May 27, 2021, 04:23:51 PM »
Its difficult to imagine Sheff Utd playing anyone off the park. I've scrolled back through their league fixtures, and its just one long list of scored 1 or 0, until that 2-1 victory v Man U on 27th January.  Before that they only scored more than 1 goal once (v Man U on 17 Dec '20) back until beginning of September. 
Can't find anything to suggest we will be playing cracking football under Wilder. 

It was the 3-3 draw mate around before Christmas 19, cracking game of football, Sheffield United killed them down the wings with overloads with the cb’s pushing on.

I get peoples reluctance after last season, he’s been hugely successful wherever he’s been bar that last season. Yes the footballs not free flowing Barcelona but it’s better than Allardyce served up and people didn’t grumble too much. Effective, winning football is everything he’s about and his teams get it down on the deck and play.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1120 on: May 27, 2021, 04:25:52 PM »
Decided to look at the difference in between us and Sheff Utd under Wilder and Derby under Lampard the last time all were in the chmapionship.

Pos    Team                    Pld    W    D    L    GF    GA    GD            Pts    
1    Norwich City (C, P)    46    27    13    6    93    57    +36    94    
2    Sheffield United (P)  46    26    11    9    78    41    +37    89
3    Leeds United            46    25    8    13    73    50    +23    83    
4    WBA                   46    23    11    12    87    62    +25    80
5    Aston Villa (O, P)    46    20    16    10    82    61    +21    76
6    Derby County            46    20    14    12    69    54    +15    74

Derby weren't as attacking as some would think under Lampard, Wilder's side did score more than Leeds and not suprising were the best defence.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1121 on: May 27, 2021, 04:28:25 PM »

Football is a funny old game. I went to that game and was blown away by how they completely outplayed us in every department. It was men versus boys and I was envious of Sheff Utd fans. I think he's a cracking appointment.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1122 on: May 27, 2021, 04:29:52 PM »
It was the 3-3 draw mate around before Christmas 19, cracking game of football, Sheffield United killed them down the wings with overloads with the cb’s pushing on.

I get peoples reluctance after last season, he’s been hugely successful wherever he’s been bar that last season. Yes the footballs not free flowing Barcelona but it’s better than Allardyce served up and people didn’t grumble too much. Effective, winning football is everything he’s about and his teams get it down on the deck and play.

Sheffield United haven't scored 5 goals in a competitive match since they beat Leyton Orient 6 nil in the 1st round (not 3rd) of the FA Cup in 2016.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1123 on: May 27, 2021, 04:30:19 PM »
Football is a funny old game. I went to that game and was blown away by how they completely outplayed us in every department. It was men versus boys and I was envious of Sheff Utd fans. I think he's a cracking appointment.

Defnitely a game of opposing opinions. I wanted to curl up and die  ;D  I was in the executive boxes that day as well. Even the free bar couldn't cheer me up and the pre-game speech from Batson and Robertson did not work out either!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1124 on: May 27, 2021, 04:31:47 PM »
Michael Appleton
16 (5.9%)
Derek McInnes
12 (4.4%)
Alex Neil0 (0%)
Chris Wilder
46 (16.9%)