1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441652 times)

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #1075 on: May 27, 2021, 12:44:27 PM »
According to some reports Jokanovic looking for a £4m pay packet

Best of luck with that one then

That is the starting point for Wilder too.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1076 on: May 27, 2021, 12:44:51 PM »
Yeah i will support whomever is appointed regardless of whether i want them or not. The actions of some fans surrounding Sam were embarrassing.

Wilder feels like a struggle though and hasn't walked in the door yet, having deja vu here with Bilic.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1077 on: May 27, 2021, 12:46:01 PM »
I want Frank.
He's young, has something to prove and would come to us in the championship if agreeable.
He's not a football snob as far as I can tell by wanting to coach in the PL.
He seems eager to learn and will demand respect.
Because of his stature in the game I think he could talk to the magician and keep him for another season.
We don't know if he even wants to leave do we?
He may be happy here and might feel he owes us another 12 months to get back to the PL.
Also, Frank seems open and is a good talker with fans and press
He will improve our profile in the footballing world its a win win for me.
The ex sheffu guy is another dour Pullis, big Sam etc etc no to that guy from me.

I am with you 100 per cent.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1078 on: May 27, 2021, 12:52:54 PM »
Yeah i will support whomever is appointed regardless of whether i want them or not. The actions of some fans surrounding Sam were embarrassing.

Totally agreed. Unbalanced, immature and downright cringeworthy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 01:11:26 PM by Atomic »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1079 on: May 27, 2021, 12:53:47 PM »
I'm dreading it being Wilder to be honest. I've seen enough managers up at the Hawthorns playing dour, safety-first football which is Wilder's model. He's been in management too long to change it now. Whilst there is perhaps a slight argument for that when you are playing against much better players and in a relegation scrap, there would be no excuse for that when you are supposed to be in a promotion race.

I want to go to matches expecting to see Albion take control and win games well, not waiting for a chance in the 80th minute to see if we can nick a goal, which I fear would be the scenario under Wilder.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1080 on: May 27, 2021, 12:58:16 PM »
I am with you 100 per cent.

Me too

I think he would be able to get Grady back to his best too

He has a good history of giving youth a go so I'm all in

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1081 on: May 27, 2021, 01:16:50 PM »
Jokanovich officially appointed at Sheff Utd. Good catch for them.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1082 on: May 27, 2021, 01:21:37 PM »
Jokanovich officially appointed at Sheff Utd. Good catch for them.

Not so sure myself. The way he plays he has got to completely change that team and then if they do go up (Far from convinced they will) they will come straight back down because his principals will ensure Sheff take on PL teams P4P.  Unless they have north of £150mil to spend they are doomed.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1083 on: May 27, 2021, 01:25:39 PM »
Not so sure myself. The way he plays he has got to completely change that team and then if they do go up (Far from convinced they will) they will come straight back down because his principals will ensure Sheff take on PL teams P4P.  Unless they have north of £150mil to spend they are doomed.

Maybe he will be backed to do what he needs? If so they will do well

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1084 on: May 27, 2021, 01:26:01 PM »

Yet I'm convinced it'll be better than our appointment.     :(
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1085 on: May 27, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »

Well ultimately that's up to Dowling isnt it?

Yeah you're probably right. We will probably appoint Alex Neil.  :(

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1086 on: May 27, 2021, 01:37:54 PM »

Yup. With a decent manager Sheff Utd will be stronger next season. Can’t help but think our “global search” for a manager will end up with #167 on the list.
Dowling “get the Address book Ken”
Ken “what am I looking for?”
Dowling “The names Saunders.....Dean Saunders” 😂

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1087 on: May 27, 2021, 01:41:09 PM »
I wanted Jokanovic before Bilic was appointed. Dowling is obviously a fan but I suspect that we couldn't afford him.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1088 on: May 27, 2021, 01:53:12 PM »
I wanted Jokanovic before Bilic was appointed. Dowling is obviously a fan but I suspect that we couldn't afford him.

Reads to me like Sheff United are going to go for it. Putting their money where their mouths are so to speak.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1089 on: May 27, 2021, 01:56:58 PM »
Reads to me like Sheff United are going to go for it. Putting their money where their mouths are so to speak.

That's provided they have enough money to transform that squad (it'll take a lot). If we make the right appointment I'd be very confident of finishing above them.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1090 on: May 27, 2021, 02:01:48 PM »
That's provided they have enough money to transform that squad (it'll take a lot). If we make the right appointment I'd be very confident of finishing above them.

Agreed, i think Fulham are the team most likely to go up. They have a very good EFL team. Then its 2 out the rest and we should be there or thereabouts provided the money is used wisely.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1091 on: May 27, 2021, 02:09:58 PM »
If I were a Sheff Utd fan, I'd see it as a change for the better. The problem remains, how do you get a set of players taught to play one way (in this case dour 5-3-2) to completly change. Still, its probably better than watching the other way around.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1092 on: May 27, 2021, 02:12:34 PM »
Agreed, i think Fulham are the team most likely to go up. They have a very good EFL team. Then its 2 out the rest and we should be there or thereabouts provided the money is used wisely.

I agree about Fulham.

Not so optimistic about us - depends hugely on some decent signings in every department. Otherwise I have us finishing below the play-offs for the first time in 20 years.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1093 on: May 27, 2021, 02:14:20 PM »
If I were a Sheff Utd fan, I'd see it as a change for the better. The problem remains, how do you get a set of players taught to play one way (in this case dour 5-3-2) to completly change. Still, its probably better than watching the other way around.

True, and we tried to do that mid-season when we stuck Sam in charge.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1094 on: May 27, 2021, 02:15:55 PM »

If I were a Sheff U fan I'd be worried.
I'd be happy to take on anyone on Betfair they don't finish top two.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1095 on: May 27, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
I agree about Fulham.

Not so optimistic about us - depends hugely on some decent signings in every department. Otherwise I have us finishing below the play-offs for the first time in 20 years.

2 CM, 2 CF and a left back and we will be in the top 3 teams in the EFL. 5 players but not all need to be bought, if budget wont allow it 1 or 2 could be loans.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1096 on: May 27, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
True, and we tried to do that mid-season when we stuck Sam in charge.

Darren Moore got roughly the saem players to play defensive football in the Prem and then passing attacking football in the EFL

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1097 on: May 27, 2021, 02:20:09 PM »
Darren Moore got roughly the saem players to play defensive football in the Prem and then passing attacking football in the EFL

Yes but he got relegated and then failed to get promoted. I know it's not black and white but your argument really doesnt stand up to inspection.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1098 on: May 27, 2021, 02:26:08 PM »

I kind of see where you are coming from but at the end of the day these are professional footballers at the higher ends of the game Alex. Even with a change of formation they are still good footballers. Now the new formation may not suit all of them down to the ground or een enable them to give their best but thats where the new signings will come in. Just because the formation changes doesnt mean 11 new players.

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1099 on: May 27, 2021, 02:28:41 PM »
I'd love to know who is on our shortlist, we know Wilder and Lampard are two of them. Like most on here I cant see past Wilder, but I am hoping for Lampard.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!