1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441646 times)

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #1000 on: May 25, 2021, 09:43:34 PM »
I see Jokanovic is also in the frame according to Alan Nixon in the mail, 2 promotions to his name and plays positive football,

Worked with Dowling at Watford....

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1001 on: May 25, 2021, 09:44:38 PM »
Lampard would be my preferred option. Thinking longish term, if we go up I'd be more confident of staying up under him and he's young enough to develop us in the PL. Given his status in the game our profile will grow and that is something the club urgently needs.

The likes of Wilder and Howe are good managers though. For once I agree with Joe Masi on his latest podcast, people always look for negatives but actually these managers have very good records.

The one concern I've have about Wilder is his hunger. He's been a manager for a long time and probably achieved his goal managing his boyhood club and I'd also have a slight concern that the game is changing and Wilder is from the last managerial generation.

Lampard is young and still eager to succeed being relatively new to management. He'd be my choice.

Good post and good point about Wilder potentially losing his hunger. I have no reason to doubt him but I just have a feeling that he may have peaked at his favourite club and anything else will be a disappointment. Lampard will be driven and ambitious and will play decent football.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1002 on: May 25, 2021, 09:47:54 PM »
Good post and good point about Wilder potentially losing his hunger. I have no reason to doubt him but I just have a feeling that he may have peaked at his favourite club and anything else will be a disappointment. Lampard will be driven and ambitious and will play decent football.
This is what I think.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1003 on: May 25, 2021, 09:51:10 PM »
Bournemouth are also in the market for a new manager so I believe. Surely a more attractive proposition than we are?

Smaller budget
Smaller ground
Smaller training facilities
About to lose a few of their top earners due to not getting promoted.

We are a more attractive proposition.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1004 on: May 25, 2021, 10:09:42 PM »
Smaller budget
Smaller ground
Smaller training facilities
About to lose a few of their top earners due to not getting promoted.

We are a more attractive proposition.

I'm not so sure about the smaller budget bit, their owner is a billionaire.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1005 on: May 25, 2021, 10:16:50 PM »
I'm not so sure about the smaller budget bit, their owner is a billionaire.
so is ours...

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1006 on: May 25, 2021, 10:23:47 PM »
so is ours...

I'm afraid he isn't, Lai needed to a long term loan to buy the club and attached himself to a funding group. Peace managed to sell us to the only Chinese owner without any real money.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1007 on: May 25, 2021, 11:01:16 PM »
I'm afraid he isn't, Lai needed to a long term loan to buy the club and attached himself to a funding group. Peace managed to sell us to the only Chinese owner without any real money.

The tightest Englishman flogged the club to the tightest Chinese.

The rest is history. Painful history...

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1008 on: May 26, 2021, 08:02:12 AM »
I see Jokanovic is also in the frame according to Alan Nixon in the mail, 2 promotions to his name and plays positive football,

I think it’s once bitten twice shy with him..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1009 on: May 26, 2021, 08:09:46 AM »
I don't like either of the two front runners Lampard or Wilder. For different reasons they are missteps or at the very least journeys down cul-de-sac's we have visited before and probably shouldn't again.

Wilder is generally acknowledged to be on our short list and purely on his record of achievement if you discount this season is worthy of consideration for a position at a mid level English club who for the last 20 years straggled the top half of the Championship and bottom half of the Premier League.

The reason for Lampard's odds have shortened is because and I quote "Lampard's people have let it be known that he would consider the West Brom job" it is at this point I find it difficult to carry on without breaching the forum rules on swearing. 

Okay having composed myself I will continue.

Wilder's style is fairly pragmatic and has a long track record of achieving results aside from this season but his advocates point to injuries to key personnel disputes with the ownership and basically suggest we should look beyond it. I tend to agree in general if short termism bedevils football then you need look beyond the here and now in both directions. How has a coach performed and based on that how is likely to perform in the future is he still developing as a coach can club and coach grow together?

The answer in Wilder's case is we are buying an off the shelf solution it is what it is if it works fine if it doesn't don't expect Wilder 2.1 to spring from nowhere. In this case it get's very difficult to overlook last season because the warning signs are there. Wilder seems very attached to 3-5-2 and he remained attached to it when things were plainly not working. He did have the personnel to make changes certainly up to the point that Berge got injured but he chose not to make them that is worrying.

Lampard the big name former player making his way as a coach but without any depth to his coaching experience.   He is learning on the job which is fine if it is some other club's job.

He should have never got a Head Coach job as a rookie at Derby and was over promoted at Chelsea. By point of comparison Daniel Farke had over 7 years coaching experience before he got his first Head Coach job at mid-table Championship Norwich City. Does anybody think that Lampard is such a quick learner that he can pick up know-how at twice the rate that Farke can?

We are buying his reputation as player but he is not playing for us he is coaching us. Do we promote cabin crew to the pilot's seat without extensive retraining? No nor should we.

Jokanovic is a name that has also cropped up I see. There is a choice to be made there and it is his to make. Do you want to coach in European football at a level that is in keeping with your experience to date which is largely Teir 2 football? Or do you want to earn a shed load of money working on the fringes in places like Qatar? Either or but not both unless Fulham sack Scot Parker. Even here I am not sure he would qualify for a work permit unless he managed to obtained residency status during his previous stints here.

To date it is uninspiring field and I'm quite warming to Alex Neil*

*Not my first choice or even on my short list but a measure of how much I dislike the other names. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1010 on: May 26, 2021, 08:11:13 AM »
The thing is we are still good enough for the top six even with dodgy footballers playing out from the back.

O'Shea can do it although we've seen no evidence of it under Allardyce. OShea seemed to take the John Smith's approach, boot it forward.

Ajayi will make errors playing out but will get away with it more often than not in the Champ. His pace for one help him recover.

Barts - If we are going to play out from the back we might as well sell him to Burnley.

It was more a recognition of the wider work which needs to go into the playing squad to suit Lampards methods.

We’ve seen Bartley playing out from the back before and it’s why he’s known on this forum as calamity Kyle. From what I’ve seen of O’Shea there is very little composure with the ball at feet.

They might be able to wing it in the championship but it’s going to need severely addressing in the Premiership.

In comparison, the last time Lampard was in this division he had Tomori and Keogh who are much better ball players and much better defenders than our current crop and much more equipped to his style.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1011 on: May 26, 2021, 08:23:20 AM »
This is what I think.

Me too, in the past we were quite good at picking managers 'on the up' - Megson, Mowbray, Di Matteo. Based on the apparent shortlist, Lampard seems to be on the up, along with Cooper who I think will be a top coach long term , not sure Alex Neil has reached his plateau already. I can only see Wilder as short term hopeful option which has Dowling written all over it...........

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1012 on: May 26, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »
I am not fully convinced that this is just a two way battle between Lampard and Wilder. We have gone 'left field' in the past, so nothing would surprise me. Although Dowling does not seem to be very 'adventurous' and according to some journalists he has not got a very big contact book. Interesting few weeks ahead, my first choice would be Lampard, did a good job at Derby and Chelsea to a point although i think that job came far too soon for him. Not a huge fan of Wilder to be honest, seems to lack a 'Plan B' and has made some very questionable transfer signings.

I'd not be against Appleton but i cant see him coning to us just yet.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1013 on: May 26, 2021, 10:09:02 AM »

Also linked with the Sheff Utd job according to the same reporter
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1014 on: May 26, 2021, 10:22:51 AM »
Also linked with the Sheff Utd job according to the same reporter
Looks like Sheff U more likely which is a shame because he has a very good record.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1015 on: May 26, 2021, 10:44:15 AM »
I am not fully convinced that this is just a two way battle between Lampard and Wilder. We have gone 'left field' in the past, so nothing would surprise me. Although Dowling does not seem to be very 'adventurous' and according to some journalists he has not got a very big contact book. Interesting few weeks ahead, my first choice would be Lampard, did a good job at Derby and Chelsea to a point although i think that job came far too soon for him. Not a huge fan of Wilder to be honest, seems to lack a 'Plan B' and has made some very questionable transfer signings.

I'd not be against Appleton but i cant see him coning to us just yet.

He did OK, finished 6th and hardly pulled the trees up.

His appointment was for me a romantic one born out of the country's universal 'love' for him. Thus evolved 'Frank Lampard's Derby County'. Everyone wanted him to succeed and in a way he did, to the point he got the Chelsea job just like that. He started well but then tailed off, and was shown the door shortly after.

Lampard is a gamble. I have no doubt he would come to us with all good intentions. If he is going to remain in the management game he needs a 'win' on his record. There is no doubt he is well connected and may get some very decent loan signings to come to us, like he did at Derby. We will become 'Frank Lampard's West Bromwich Albion' and as with any appointment it may work. Of the insipid list of names mentioned to date he would be my choice probably. To be honest I am struggling to think of anyone better; when we appointed Bilic we all thought we had got the golden ticket and that ended badly.

I don't really listen to the media speculation, a chimp can write most of the rubbish I have seen so far. They are on the whole very good at telling us the obvious and what we already know.

So reluctantly I fall on the side of Lampard because he is young, hopefully hungry and he has already had his dream job so that will not be a distraction.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:01:01 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

loucanova

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1016 on: May 26, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
Am surprised Craig Shakespeare name hasn’t been mentioned as a decent candidate by a few more people.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1017 on: May 26, 2021, 11:54:33 AM »
Then you'd have ruled out Daniel Farke, Nuno and Hassenhuttl, to name just 3 off the top of my head. Klopp had never managed outside of Germany.
I wonder how many English managers are managing teams in Italy, France, Spain, Germany and so on. Not many, I'd imagine.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1018 on: May 26, 2021, 11:57:41 AM »
I don't like either of the two front runners Lampard or Wilder.
Likewise. We seem to be showing a distinct lack of imagination.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1019 on: May 26, 2021, 12:06:16 PM »
I don't like either of the two front runners Lampard or Wilder. For different reasons they are missteps or at the very least journeys down cul-de-sac's we have visited before and probably shouldn't again.

Wilder is generally acknowledged to be on our short list and purely on his record of achievement if you discount this season is worthy of consideration for a position at a mid level English club who for the last 20 years straggled the top half of the Championship and bottom half of the Premier League.

The reason for Lampard's odds have shortened is because and I quote "Lampard's people have let it be known that he would consider the West Brom job" it is at this point I find it difficult to carry on without breaching the forum rules on swearing. 

Okay having composed myself I will continue.

Wilder's style is fairly pragmatic and has a long track record of achieving results aside from this season but his advocates point to injuries to key personnel disputes with the ownership and basically suggest we should look beyond it. I tend to agree in general if short termism bedevils football then you need look beyond the here and now in both directions. How has a coach performed and based on that how is likely to perform in the future is he still developing as a coach can club and coach grow together?

The answer in Wilder's case is we are buying an off the shelf solution it is what it is if it works fine if it doesn't don't expect Wilder 2.1 to spring from nowhere. In this case it get's very difficult to overlook last season because the warning signs are there. Wilder seems very attached to 3-5-2 and he remained attached to it when things were plainly not working. He did have the personnel to make changes certainly up to the point that Berge got injured but he chose not to make them that is worrying.

Lampard the big name former player making his way as a coach but without any depth to his coaching experience.   He is learning on the job which is fine if it is some other club's job.

He should have never got a Head Coach job as a rookie at Derby and was over promoted at Chelsea. By point of comparison Daniel Farke had over 7 years coaching experience before he got his first Head Coach job at mid-table Championship Norwich City. Does anybody think that Lampard is such a quick learner that he can pick up know-how at twice the rate that Farke can?

We are buying his reputation as player but he is not playing for us he is coaching us. Do we promote cabin crew to the pilot's seat without extensive retraining? No nor should we.

Jokanovic is a name that has also cropped up I see. There is a choice to be made there and it is his to make. Do you want to coach in European football at a level that is in keeping with your experience to date which is largely Teir 2 football? Or do you want to earn a shed load of money working on the fringes in places like Qatar? Either or but not both unless Fulham sack Scot Parker. Even here I am not sure he would qualify for a work permit unless he managed to obtained residency status during his previous stints here.

To date it is uninspiring field and I'm quite warming to Alex Neil*

*Not my first choice or even on my short list but a measure of how much I dislike the other names.
Alex neil????Okay having composed myself I will continue. 37% win record with Preston Relegated after a single season in the Premier with Norwich.cheap option with no pay off to a club. No one seems to be rushing to have him as there manager in the top two divisions. Lampard or Eddie Howe for me.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1020 on: May 26, 2021, 12:07:05 PM »
Left field - Miroslav Klose. Has completed his Fußball Lehrer (highest German coaching qualification), and has been at Bayern Munich but is leaving this summer when his contract runs out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 12:34:29 PM by MarkW »

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1021 on: May 26, 2021, 12:31:49 PM »
Left field - Miroslav Klose. Has cometed his Fußball Lehrer (highest German coaching qualification), and has been at Bayern Munich but is leaving this summer when his contract runs out.

Now that is a gamble,
Character ?  Experience ?  Language ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1022 on: May 26, 2021, 12:36:37 PM »
Likewise. We seem to be showing a distinct lack of imagination.
These are the front runners offered up by the press and are not necessarily indicative of our imagination.

Left field does not always turn out to be a stroke of genius either, both Irvine and Mel came out of nowhere!

In the case of Wilder, I fail to see how we could criticise the club, if he got the job, given his record of promotions and having finished top half in 50% of his stints in the Premier League.
I'm not saying he's my choice, just that I would find it hard to argue should we make that choice.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1023 on: May 26, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »
I have been trawling options and this guy seems interesting "Rene Hake" currently at Utrecht
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1024 on: May 26, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
I have been trawling options and this guy seems interesting "Rene Hake" currently at Utrecht
what attracts you to him? Seems like a not particulary great start to his career and Utrecht have picked up about as many points as they usually do for any given Season.